Another little Peeve is

You absolutely can't know what a person is like unless you go spend a day geocaching with them.

Well, you can, but it sure takes longer. :D Spending a day chasing Tupperware, driving in circles, and replacing batteries can certainly tell you a great deal about a person, you're correct. I've forged some good friendships doing just that. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I have to agree with disliking the acronym logging but having two teens who also cache with me, I am often asked "What should I write?" My son has nearly 500 finds with and without me but he stopped logging online because someone chewed him out about posting a "TFTC". I'm not going to force him though.

This is a fun family oriented game and I'm not willing to ruin the experience just because of a few stubborn, inconsiderate, arrogant or rude cache placers.

Negativity fuels negativity.

Personally, I try and write a unique log for each and every find even on a numbers run. I refuse to simply post a TFTC without some sort of preface and I refuse to use copy & paste but I do not scold someone who does this while logging one of my hides. I may have a little fun with them in the logs though :D

What peeve's me the most are posts by people who have very limited caching experiences posting about what their 'peeves' about this activity are. I have been guilty of this myself and I hope I learned from it.

I would like to know what 'peeves' placers who have REALLY contributed to the game. People like Retired Prof in the Yuba area or BKip in Marin. People with more than a dozen placements and enough finds to have a good grasp of what's it is really like out there.

I do have to admit though, when we were newbe's a cacher e-mailed my daughter about a TFTC post that initially had her a little upset. After I got involved and got to know this cacher, he became my best caching buddy other than Bootsey that is and we all often go caching as a group.

I think that one of the problems is the "power cachers" who find 20 or more caches in a day. When you find that many, you can not possible remember details of all of them.

Huh?? only 20? That's a breeze! I manage just fine with up to 60 or so then I may have to strain just a little. A few weeks ago a buddy and I did 240 in one day and while I certainly didn't remember the exact details of each and every one of them, I logged them without a single cut&paste or a simple acronym.

I do get a little peeved when I notice that the same person finds a few of my caches and logs them all with the same exact note every time"

AMEN!

This is a fun family oriented game and I'm not willing to ruin the experience just because of a few stubborn, inconsiderate, arrogant or rude cache placers.

Ooooooo...... Amen.

Negativity fuels negativity.

Another "amen".

Personally, I try and write a unique log for each and every find even on a numbers run. I refuse to simply post a TFTC without some sort of preface and I refuse to use copy & paste but I do not scold so may have a little fun with them in the logs though

If I've got 10 or 15 finds in a day while on a caching trip, or while on a visit somewhere unusual, I frequently write a blurb about the general trip, and open each log with it (copy and paste). then I add the details about the specific cache. For example, the CP part of the log might start "Spent the day with XYZ hunting caches out of our home area, and had a great time. We drove 400 miles in one day through this beautiful state." The rest of the log about the specific cache is probably three times that long, the CP just keeps me from having to re-write the same thing over and over.

About the short logs and the acronym logs.......

There's a great cacher in our area, very experienced, super nice fellow, lots of finds and hides to his credit, but he just hates to type. He'll be with one of us when we find a nice cache, and while we're writing lengthy logs about the adventure, his log may be no more than "TFTC", or "This was fun. Thanks.". He just not much of a writer, and gets uncomfortable when he tries to write anything lengthy.

He's the guy I keep thinking about when the OP goes on and on calling the authors of brief logs "rude and lazy". Nothing could be further from the mark with this one fellow, and I suspect there are others out there just like him. Not everyone is verbose by nature.

My own philosophy on logging finds is that my online log is my way of thanking the cache owner for placing the cache. The more I enjoyed the experience of finding the cache, the longer my log is likely to be therefore a very rare "TFTC" from me is likely to mean, "I didn't find any redeeming value in your cache but I want the smiley anyway so I'm logging it".

Because of my general philosophy about logs, I always find it disappointing when a TFTC is all I get back for one of my own caches and I'd imagine that most cache owners that have spent a lot of time/money placing a cache would be disappointed by that kind of log too. Even a short sentance or two can make a big difference.

I think educating new players about the value/importance of logging is a useful exersize though as soon as people have spent a lot of energy placing their own cache they probably see things from a whole new perspective. How many caches would exist if the only feedback ever received was TFTC or "Found It"

And since I'm having a whine, what about logs that say something like "This was 1 of 24 caches for me today....". Does anyone but the finder really care how many caches that person found today? As an owner, those kind of logs just make me feel that my cache was relatively unimportant and just another smiley among many.

And since I'm having a whine, what about logs that say something like "This was 1 of 24 caches for me today....". Does anyone but the finder really care how many caches that person found today? As an owner, those kind of logs just make me feel that my cache was relatively unimportant and just another smiley among many.

yep. when i see those logs i'm all, like "woo. how impressive you are. thanks for sharing."

One of my pett peves is wen folks jumping into an argooment cant find aneething two critcize butt somewons speling ore gramer. :)

Seriously though, I always see that as an indication that the person pointing out the spelling/gramatic errors has already lost the battle. :D

While argumentum ad hominum is seldom considered to be a valid argument, perhpas in this case it is. The original is about picky things that bother some people. Deliberately misspelling 'cache' is a picky thing that bothers other people. In this case, it puts things in perspective.

And, now, I'm embarassed enough that I need to go edit my cache logs from our Geocaching Invasion of Maine. 106 caches found on 22 DeLorme pages in five days, with minimal time and Wifi coverage to log them properly. (Okay, so my sister logged them for me, before dinner and preparations for the next day's geocaching.) The revisions will be a month afterward. And, frankly, I do not remember some of the caches found. But I do have more to say than what was logged. Should keep me busy for a while!

One of my pett peves is wen folks jumping into an argooment cant find aneething two critcize butt somewons speling ore gramer. :)

Seriously though, I always see that as an indication that the person pointing out the spelling/gramatic errors has already lost the battle. :D

Makes about as much sense as complaining about TNLNSL don't tit.

And, now, I'm embarassed enough that I need to go edit my cache logs from our Geocaching Invasion of Maine. 106 caches found on 22 DeLorme pages in five days, with minimal time and Wifi coverage to log them properly. (Okay, so my sister logged them for me, before dinner and preparations for the next day's geocaching.) The revisions will be a month afterward. And, frankly, I do not remember some of the caches found. But I do have more to say than what was logged. Should keep me busy for a while!

Interesting endeavor! "Got it" turned into "Nice walk in, but what is so interesting about a derelict outhouse?" Hmm...

I have decided, with OP's attitude, that I would put all his caches on my 'ignore list' if his caches were nearby. :) Oh, well.

I had not thought about this until now, but I do know the feeling sometimes of getting a log posted on one of your caches. Especially the micro I recently spent a lot of time and brain energy on. I thought for sure even experienced cachers would have a little difficulty finding it right away (it was a rain bird sprinkler that is placed in the ground and they are to unscrew the top to locate the micro log) and I hid it in a community garden under a bush in a group of other similar looking sprinklers. Some logs just say "TFTC", then others make me feel a little better about my efforts placed. Like this one great hide!! walked past it 3-4 times before we figured it out. didn't sign the log as we forgot a writing stick TFTH

TFTC is considered by many to BE a statement about the cache. The shorter the log - the "lamer" the cache. Not always but as a general rule.

I don't know, I've been seeing tons more "TFTC" type logs on caches that generally get decent logs. Where is that lost art of logging thread? :D

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...&hl=logging

Another funny thing is that I have emailed various people that have a great hide, thanking them for taking me to such a beautiful place and I have NEVER gotten an reply. I had not thought about it until I read your post but it is odd, if someone thanked me for a good hide I would reply. Maybe it is because I am going on 69 and politeness was taught when I was in school. It doesn't seem to be all that important any more I guess. :unsure:

I have also had people log a reply to my cashes and occasionally I will sent them a message telling them that I am happy they enjoyed it. I have never gotten a reply from them either. I just quit doing it because I thought it might be the wrong thing to do.

It does not really hurt to be polite but some are too busy trying to find a hundred on a weekend I guess :)

Well, for a new cacher, you've make a lot of sense in many of your posts.

For the most part, I too will try to encourage people that take the time to write their thoughts down in the online logs on my caches. A little positive reminder that there are those who truly appreciate the effort goes a long way. I know that it does with me.

As far as emailing someone thanking you for your note, here's something that you might not have considered. If it is a popular cache and the person has a few caches of the same caliber, that is a lot of email. I can sometimes get 30 emails from GC.com a day. Sometimes, you just don't have time to respond to every gesture that is sent your way.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Interesting endeavor! "Got it" turned into "Nice walk in, but what is so interesting about a derelict outhouse?" Hmm...

I have decided, with OP's attitude, that I would put all his caches on my 'ignore list' if his caches were nearby. :) Oh, well.

I'd still go find them. My logs would all read 'TFTC', however.

I log what moves me. The more memorable the cache the more likely I've have more to say. If I don't feel like saying anything, I'll just put it on ignore. (You know, the old adage of if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.)

I do agree there is a trend toward shorter logs. While looking over some excellent caches for review the logs seem to get shorter and shorter. "Outstanding hide. Excellent adventure. Recommended! TFTH TNLNSL" I don't know if it's the "Monkey see, monkey do" as suggested over in the other thread or folks are keeping more of their experiences to themselves or what.

a person that only signs "TFTC" when registering a find on the web. Now it would be nice to see a little more of a response to a hide. It takes a bit of effort and time and a little cash to hide one and something more would be nice.

I have caught myself doing about as bad but it is something that cashers should think about. Some, including myself, want to know that their efforts are appreciated. It is nice when the finder lets me know if the hide was a good one and well thought out or not. I have found 45 and have been told I have much to learn but if the old pros don't pass on their knowledge how are we to learn?

If my hide is in a lousy area or not hidden well I would like to know.

Now don't get the idea that I am all bent out of shape over this but as I was reading some of these posts I thought about it and though I would pass my thoughts on

LOL, there are people here who have 1,000+ finds and have never said anything more than or anything but 'TFTC" and another who ONLY says "Signed Log"

I would like to know what 'peeves' placers who have REALLY contributed to the game. People like Retired Prof in the Yuba area or BKip in Marin. People with more than a dozen placements and enough finds to have a good grasp of what's it is really like out there.

Copy/Paste Logging, I've done my fair share, but I quit a few months ago. My new opinion is that whether they are silly, dumb, awesome, or inspiring, logs should be unique and typed out.

The amount of effort I put into writing logs is generally in direct proportion to the amount of effort the cache owner put into the hide. A creative puzzle with the final in an interesting/scenic area might get a full log detailing my adventures. A film can under a lamp post skirt might get "TFTC", "Smiley!", "Still there" or "Found".

But now about the only time I'll go after a traditional LPC is when I'm traveling through a new area with limited time and want to add a new County/DeLorme Grid to my find list. So my normal minimal log now is something like "Cache in xxx County". Otherwise I try to stick with 2/2 caches and above (unless it's on the rare FTF attempt).

Although I'm sure that I don't have the experience of those that you mention, and probably a good number of those that regularly participate in these forums, with 474 finds and 23 hides I think I have enough GeoCred to submit a peeve. I think it one that everyone, or at least those that work full time for a living can agree on. My primary peeve is:

I don't have as much time available to me to go geocaching as I would like.

Although I'm sure that I don't have the experience of those that you mention, and probably a good number of those that regularly participate in these forums, with 474 finds and 23 hides I think I have enough GeoCred to submit a peeve. I think it one that everyone, or at least those that work full time for a living can agree on. My primary peeve is:

Hear hear! That's a pet peeve I can relate to.

AMEN!

The better the cache, the more wordy the logs seem to be. It's as simple as that.
Couldn't agree with that statement more! I enjoy hiding as much (if not more) then finding as I tend to have about 30% as many hides as finds, and the thing that gets me pleasure the most is reading good logs. So I try to create hides that inspire that. With that said I do the same in return. I don't think I've ever just put TFTH or TFTC in a log entry but when I do a quick run and find a dozen caches and I can't recall specifics of a certain find then I tend to not write much. Ones that I am impressed with I can recall vividly after years and they get a good long log entry with pictures if possible.

As far as having enough time for geocaching.... don't get me started.

Work always seems to get in the way ::sigh::

Edited by infiniteMPG

a person that only signs "TFTC" when registering a find on the web. Now it would be nice to see a little more of a response to a hide. It takes a bit of effort and time and a little cash to hide one and something more would be nice.

I have caught myself doing about as bad but it is something that cashers should think about. Some, including myself, want to know that their efforts are appreciated. It is nice when the finder lets me know if the hide was a good one and well thought out or not. I have found 45 and have been told I have much to learn but if the old pros don't pass on their knowledge how are we to learn?

If my hide is in a lousy area or not hidden well I would like to know.

Now don't get the idea that I am all bent out of shape over this but as I was reading some of these posts I thought about it and though I would pass my thoughts on

Your right. Longer logs are nice. You just need to keep in mind that for some folks TFTC is all they can manage. Though TFTC. The cache is ok, and the log dry. Would make for a much nicer log while still not challenging the creative skills of even the most uncreative log writers. So there is room for improvement. Unless you are really just trying to say "DPM".

Edited by Renegade Knight

I've only been at this a little over a year and just passed the 250 find mark so, I still consider myself a newbie. I'm going to chime in thought with my 2 cents worth.

First, I only have a few cache hides out there and I'm happy just to have someone visit them. I'll take the TFTC SL, sure I'd rather have a better log but I'm still happy that someone took the time to visit.

Second, during my first few months I really didn't understand logging finds. (My first find was a great experience but I logged almost nothing. Months later I went back and wrote a note a few paragraphs long about the experience.) Somewhere along the way I caught on that the cache owner received an e-mail when I logged and many cache owners look forward to reading them. I started making a better effort at writing more interesting logs. The first time that I found a DNA tube in a sign post, LPC, bison tube in a pine, was interesting but now that I have found dozens of them, they aren't so interesting. I usually log these with just a line or two. I really appreciate thought and effort on the hider's part and reward that behavior with longer, and I hope interesting, logs. The better the hide the better the log that I write. By the same logic, if I want people to write better logs about my hides I need to try and provide something that they haven't seen before. I need to give them something to write about. I've tried to do that with the last few I've placed.

Third, there are a few geocachers in my area that take pride in their hides. When I discover them I tend to seek out as many of their hides as reasonable possible. I like their caches and want to see them, and I say so in the logs. If I liked the hide then I attempt to write a log that will attract other geocachers to it as well as show my appreciation. Once I received an e-mail from the owner of a number of caches I had recently visited thanking me for the flattering logs. She told me how much her and her husband enjoyed reading them. So, maybe I’m on the right track.

Finally, I've received a few logs warning of problems with one of my hides or suggesting that I change a terrain rating and so on. This is valuable information that I am happy to get.

I've only been at this a little over a year and just passed the 250 find mark so, I still consider myself a newbie. I'm going to chime in thought with my 2 cents worth.

First, I only have a few cache hides out there and I'm happy just to have someone visit them. I'll take the TFTC SL, sure I'd rather have a better log but I'm still happy that someone took the time to visit.

Second, during my first few months I really didn't understand logging finds. (My first find was a great experience but I logged almost nothing. Months later I went back and wrote a note a few paragraphs long about the experience.) Somewhere along the way I caught on that the cache owner received an e-mail when I logged and many cache owners look forward to reading them. I started making a better effort at writing more interesting logs. The first time that I found a DNA tube in a sign post, LPC, bison tube in a pine, was interesting but now that I have found dozens of them, they aren't so interesting. I usually log these with just a line or two. I really appreciate thought and effort on the hider's part and reward that behavior with longer, and I hope interesting, logs. The better the hide the better the log that I write. By the same logic, if I want people to write better logs about my hides I need to try and provide something that they haven't seen before. I need to give them something to write about. I've tried to do that with the last few I've placed.

Third, there are a few geocachers in my area that take pride in their hides. When I discover them I tend to seek out as many of their hides as reasonable possible. I like their caches and want to see them, and I say so in the logs. If I liked the hide then I attempt to write a log that will attract other geocachers to it as well as show my appreciation. Once I received an e-mail from the owner of a number of caches I had recently visited thanking me for the flattering logs. She told me how much her and her husband enjoyed reading them. So, maybe I’m on the right track.

Finally, I've received a few logs warning of problems with one of my hides or suggesting that I change a terrain rating and so on. This is valuable information that I am happy to get.

I think you have done a fine job of capturing the essence of this topic. If everyone followed the basic concepts in your post we would have a whole lot fewer forums topics. On second thought maybe your post isn't so good after all. It does seem to be very anti-angst. Perhaps you need a little bit of a time out so you can think about your friendly and helpful post. <_<