PROUD FIND(S)

Camper1

While boating yesterday I observed two old bridge abutments. Put ashore to the South one (Garfield County, Snake River, Washington State) thinking it was a good place for a benchmark. Nothing found. Crossed the river to the North abutment (Whitman County, Washington State) and found my first chiseled cross SA0005 and chiseled triangle SA0006 ! Yippie, and did have a digital camera but not prepared with photographic scale (thought of using a brown pop can), tape measure, nor cleaning brushes (abundant bird poop covering chiseled cross). Oh well, at least I had a camera. Last NGS report on both, 1968.

Here is a 1873 mark.

a6cba599-63e5-42b6-888e-8d58efbd7d31.jpg

TAVERN ROCK RESET

OH darn thats Horizontal Control :D

1873 HALLECK RESET

This 1873 has a Triangle on it does being reset make it a horizontal control?

Both these stations were part of the Transcontinental Triangulation.

90c1bef4-38ae-49ac-8c99-538869e98e7e.jpg

Great finds by the way I like researching and finding some old one's.

George is looking for old USC&GS Brass disks.

Geo, sorry but your two disks are from 1962 and 1970.

CallawayMT

Where is TEXHOMEX in relation to the one PLSS corner that people keep finding?

It's about 4 feet NNE of the PLSS monument. Of course, after I was 600 miles away did I think that I should have measured the distance from the TEXHOMEX marker to the PLSS marker.

But the PLSS marker is a good 2 -3 feet above ground and the TEXHOMEX is 1.6 below ground.

You can see the PLSS marker in this pic:

http://img.geocaching.com/benchmark/lg/4ae...ec71222242f.jpg

OK, here's one I'm real proud of at the moment! Several of us somewhat crazy benchmark hunters hiked up Mt. Hoffmann in Yosemite National Park last week. HR2847 (MOUNT HOFFMAN) is at 10,855 feet. Yes, it should be HOFFMANN with two "N's" per the marker and all maps I have found. Highest benchmark find for me, and first to post a picture (previous logs picture-less or wrong mark pictured). Woo Hoo! Love this picture with the marker in it, looking down on Half Dome from the northeast:

a34d3975-5fe4-42bc-a53d-37221b3b87d6.jpg

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Thanks!

RM's not far:

HR2847|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
HR2847| PID	Reference Object					 Distance	  Geod. Az  |
HR2847|														   dddmmss.s |
HR2847| DB2149 MOUNT HOFFMAN AZ MK								0941204.9 |
HR2847| DB2150 MOUNT HOFFMAN RM 1					5.319 METERS 16949	 |
HR2847| DB2151 MOUNT HOFFMAN RM 2					6.523 METERS 29650	 |
HR2847|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

But you need to know what you are looking for!

The AZ mark is on a false peak across the "flat topped peak" area, and is another whole deal. I didn't even attempt it, but Lloyd did, and couldn't get there. It may need serious climbing equipment (ropes, etc) to get to it. I'll let him tell the story in his log.

The AZ mark is on a false peak across the "flat topped peak" area, and is another whole deal. I didn't even attempt it, but Lloyd did, and couldn't get there. It may need serious climbing equipment (ropes, etc) to get to it. I'll let him tell the story in his log.

I posted my log for HR2847, but I didn't really tell a story. Here are some pictures to give you a better idea of the situation.

2703488538_c4bc60c458.jpg

These are the eastern ridges of Mount Hoffmann. I was on top of the left ridge.

2702667265_423bd60bd0.jpg

In this picture, I am standing on top of the ridge and looking at the highest part of it. To get there, I would've had to cross some gaps you can't really see in the picture and climb over some boulders that didn't look that stable. I'm not a climber so that was as far as I was going to climb. I doubt that a CGS crew would climb up there just to place an azimuth mark.

2702666995_e025e65c7f.jpg

This is the view of May Lake from up there.

Meg and I might try looking for the azimuth mark again in maybe 2015 or so. :rolleyes:

Lloyd

I'm curious, though: you say you doubt that a CGS crew would have scrambled across to that small peak to place an azimuth mark. But if it isn't there, where would it be?

I put that in my log to help other benchmark hunters who may follow in our footsteps. Meg and I discussed this afterwards. I think it's actually on another ridge, which is halfway between the summit and the above pictured ridge. While the bearings to azimuth markers are precise, the distances to them are more like guesses. We have seen some distances to azimuths that were wildly inaccurate.

This is sort of related to the original subject of this thread... It is difficult for me to pick a find that I'm especially proud of. (The one where we had to hike through dense brush? One of the ones where we spent a long time probing and digging? The one that the NGS couldn't find?) However, I am always proud whenever we find a station, all the reference marks, and the azimuth mark. That is satisfaction! :rolleyes:

Larry, thanks again for letting us tag along for Mount Hoffmann. Larry is a great sport. We were impressed by how he kept going up Hoffmann and how he kept looking for markers with us, even when he himself probably would have given up long ago and moved on to the next marker.

Thanks, Lloyd. Enjoyed the hike. I also learned from you on a couple marks not to give up too quickly, because in at least one case, you found the mark after I would have given up. Although in another case (on the old Tuolmne Grove Rd), we DNF'd after - what - 45 minutes, maybe? We sure gave that one a good try!

Just for kicks, I pulled up the USGS 7.5 minute Quad, and laid in a line the box score 094.2° (true). I wonder what ridge they are talking about... the line doesn't cross any of the ridge tops, just the shoulder of the one I think you were on. WTFO?

198b402e-5e60-4e18-be70-d3e88d4416b1.jpg

Just for kicks, I pulled up the USGS 7.5 minute Quad, and laid in a line the box score 094.2° (true). I wonder what ridge they are talking about... the line doesn't cross any of the ridge tops, just the shoulder of the one I think you were on. WTFO?

Yeah, the bearing seems to be inaccurate too in this case. When I was looking at it in Google Earth, it seemed to cut across the lower shoulders of both ridges. We haven't seen the bearing off by this much before.