Possible to have Garmin topo and City Navigator on same card ?

Rifty

As per title - can topo maps and metroguide be loaded onto the same memory card in a way that they can be switched between by selecting the map set to use on an hcx legend ?

If so how ? What can I call the second .img file so that the gps sees it. (I bought the topo on a memory card and have the mapsource installation dvd for the city navigator europe)

Cheers.

Edited by Rifty

As per title - can topo maps and city navigator be loaded onto the same memory card in a way that they can be switched between by selecting the map set to use on an hcx legend ?

If so how ? What can I call the second .img file so that the gps sees it. (I bought the topo on a memory card and have the mapsource installation dvd for the city navigator europe)

Cheers.

Yes, Using MapSource. All maps have to be loaded into the same file...

I don't think it can be done the way you explain it. If both are on DVD then it's easily accomplished.

Edited by RonFisk

Yes ... you load them "together" in a single load. You can then go into the map setup screen on the GPS itself and turn one or both of the map sets on/off as desired. I do this all the time ... I keep topo turned off and City Nav turned on and then switch if I'm going hiking in the wood, etc.

As per title - can topo maps and city navigator be loaded onto the same memory card in a way that they can be switched between by selecting the map set to use on an hcx legend ?

Cheers.

Gernerally, yes, both may be on the same microSD card and you can switch between them. But as you have the preprogrammed TOPO card, this isn't going to work as you normally cannot add the CNE maps to that card.

The normal way to make this work would be to get both CNE and TOPO on DVD/CD, and send the data together to a blank datacard.

Maybe you can sell the TOPO card in a carboot sale and put the money towards the purchase of the DVD/CD version of TOPO and a blank microSD.

Edited by coggins

As explained,

The GPS can only read one gmapsupp.img file, but it can contain multiple maps.

you have to use Mapsource to create it, so you need the Topo and the CN installed in Mapsource and unlocked for your gps.

You then select all of the topo maps, switch to CN and select all of the CN maps. Then you build the combined map, and write to the SD card.

If you just try to send the CN maps to the SD card they will overwrite your topo and it will be gone forever

NB1 you are free to copy the gmapsupp.img off your card, this is a good idea. you can then write it to a new card, or replace it after you wiped it trying to add CN, but it will only work in the gps it was unlocked for :blink:

NB2 the Topo should be locked to your GPS, so you cannot use it in another unit.

Just buy another sd card, write the CN to it, and swap the cards over.

NB2 the Topo should be locked to your GPS, so you cannot use it in another unit.
Topo is not a locked map product.

TOPO Great Britain is as well as City Navigator Europe. IN this case, the TOPO would be locked to the microSD card and CNE to the GPS unit. I didn't think that Mapwell or MapUpload worked with locked maps, would be interested to hear the results.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;hl=MapUpload

Edited by coggins
Topo is not a locked map product.

TOPO Great Britain is as well as City Navigator Europe. IN this case, the TOPO would be locked to the microSD card and CNE to the GPS unit.

Oops! Right you are! I missed the bit about it being the UK version. My bad! Thanks for the correction.