HTC Smartphone

Does anybody use the HTC smartphone? We got this one a while back and thought what an opportunity to finally go paperless. Since then I have tried and miserably failed to even get anywhere near using it properly :( .

I have tried Gsak and beeline gps to no avail. I get error messages such as 'no application associated with ...' and 'installation file is not intended for this device'. There is a very high possibility that I am completely doing it all wrong being technically challenged :blink: .

So has anybody got any idea of where I am going wrong and maybe suggestions of how to solve the problem pleaaaaseeeeeeeeeee :( ?

Thanks

Does anybody use the HTC smartphone? We got this one a while back and thought what an opportunity to finally go paperless. Since then I have tried and miserably failed to even get anywhere near using it properly :( .

I have tried Gsak and beeline gps to no avail. I get error messages such as 'no application associated with ...' and 'installation file is not intended for this device'. There is a very high possibility that I am completely doing it all wrong being technically challenged :blink: .

Which HTC phone do you have?

If you have a Windows Mobile based one, then GSAK will not work on it, you will need CacheMate instead to use GPX files on the phone itself. You can export data from GSAK as a GPX to use on the phone with CacheMate.

Can't answer your question about beeline, as I have never used it.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Does anybody use the HTC smartphone? We got this one a while back and thought what an opportunity to finally go paperless. Since then I have tried and miserably failed to even get anywhere near using it properly :D .

Which HTC phone do you have?

If you have a Windows Mobile based one, then GSAK will not work on it, you will need CacheMate instead to use GPX files on the phone itself. You can export data from GSAK as a GPX to use on the phone with CacheMate.

Can't answer your question about beeline, as I have never used it.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

It's the htc S620 and yes, it is windows mobile based. I have briefly looked at cachemate but got stuck there at the first hurdle as it is asking me to enter a smittyware id before I can purchase the product? Tried to find out where to get it but got a bit frustrated :( . But will give it another try if you think that might solve the problem. Thanks for your quick reply. Oh, and if you know anything about this smittyware ID please feel free to guide me in the right direction :( . Thanks again.

Susanne

What model are you using, and when are you getting the error messages (the more info you can give us the more we can all help).

I have a HTC Trinity (Orange M700), and the wife uses a TyTN II and have had no problems with either..

Hi

I have the htc S620 (through BT). I tried to add beeline gps to the phone but i got the error message that 'file installation was unsuccessful as file not supported by the device'. i did try to export from GSAK too but got another error message. Sorry, I can't remember what it said exactly and trying to duplicate what I did originally failed. Can you tell I am useless with gadgets :blink::(

Susanne

and 'installation file is not intended for this device'. There is a very high possibility that I am completely doing it all wrong being technically challenged :blink: .

You are installing the wrong type of file. You need the correct .cab file for your phone. Note that

Windows Mobile Pocket PC

Windows Mobile Smartphone

are different versions.

Do not extract the .cab file, simply copy it to your phone and click it (run it) from the file explorer.

I get error messages such as 'no application associated with ...'

You can't really add file associations with out of the box smartphones. You need to open the program then import the gpx.

I use the HTC TyTn II. Previous replies have correctly said you cannot use GSAK with these Windows mobile devices.

GSAK is used in the desktop PC to generate .gpx files which are then copied into the PDA for use with CacheMate or similar. You will need to register CacheMate for effective usage. (The trial version will only hold a small number of cache details)

The registration code supplied (for a small fee) from Smittyware is generated according to the owner ID that is stored in the PDA - this is set up independently of CacheMate itself. If you don't have this information entered already on the PPC, then Cachemate will prompt you to enter it first.

Codes can be bought via the Smittyware website: http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/

For 8 dollars (£4.27) this is a bargain. Especially as you can transfer it to new PPC devices in the future, providing you set up the same owner/user info. I am onto my third PPC device now.....

Before you get the Smittyware ID you have to install and run the application (see below)

When you download the program from Smittyware, the .exe file is copied directly onto the PDA. It doesn't run (and there are no installers) for the PC. Copy the file to your preferred destination on the PPC via ActiveSync, then double clicking on the .exe file on the PPC installs the application. Opening the app, the menu bar appears at the bottom of the PPC screen. Click on options, then Register. The Smittyware ID will appear in a box at the top. Secondly there is a (blank) code box. When you purchase the registration, you have to send the ID to Smittyware. They send you the matching code via email.

and 'installation file is not intended for this device'. There is a very high possibility that I am completely doing it all wrong being technically challenged :huh: .

You are installing the wrong type of file. You need the correct .cab file for your phone. Note that

Windows Mobile Pocket PC

Windows Mobile Smartphone

are different versions.

Do not extract the .cab file, simply copy it to your phone and click it (run it) from the file explorer.

I get error messages such as 'no application associated with ...'

You can't really add file associations with out of the box smartphones. You need to open the program then import the gpx.

Thanks for the reply. I can see where i went wrong as I previously tried to extract the .cab files. The problem with the file association was probably down to having an incompatible programme in the first place. Have now managed to get cachemate which should help with the final hurdle of reading gpx files on the smartphone via cachemate. Although, I have not managed to to that yet :) Stuck again lol.

Thanks again!

I use the HTC TyTn II. Previous replies have correctly said you cannot use GSAK with these Windows mobile devices.

GSAK is used in the desktop PC to generate .gpx files which are then copied into the PDA for use with CacheMate or similar. You will need to register CacheMate for effective usage. (The trial version will only hold a small number of cache details)

The registration code supplied (for a small fee) from Smittyware is generated according to the owner ID that is stored in the PDA - this is set up independently of CacheMate itself. If you don't have this information entered already on the PPC, then Cachemate will prompt you to enter it first.

For 8 dollars (£4.27) this is a bargain. Especially as you can transfer it to new PPC devices in the future, providing you set up the same owner/user info. I am onto my third PPC device now.....

Before you get the Smittyware ID you have to install and run the application (see below)

When you download the program from Smittyware, the .exe file is copied directly onto the PDA. It doesn't run (and there are no installers) for the PC. Copy the file to your preferred destination on the PPC via ActiveSync, then double clicking on the .exe file on the PPC installs the application. Opening the app, the menu bar appears at the bottom of the PPC screen. Click on options, then Register. The Smittyware ID will appear in a box at the top. Secondly there is a (blank) code box. When you purchase the registration, you have to send the ID to Smittyware. They send you the matching code via email.

Thanks for your step by step explanation. I have now managed to install the full paid for cachemate version on the htc. ;) All I have to do know is figure out how to get the database from GSAK onto the htc probably via cachemate. Have tried a couple of times but no joy so far :huh: Do you export from GSAK to cachemate or do you import through cachemate on the htc. Sorry, I feel a little bit like a numpty but I thought it better to admit to it rather than chucking all of my things into the bin as they won't work :huh: (or better say as I can't get them to work) :)

Thanks for your step by step explanation. I have now managed to install the full paid for cachemate version on the htc. :D All I have to do know is figure out how to get the database from GSAK onto the htc probably via cachemate. Have tried a couple of times but no joy so far :D Do you export from GSAK to cachemate or do you import through cachemate on the htc. Sorry, I feel a little bit like a numpty but I thought it better to admit to it rather than chucking all of my things into the bin as they won't work :D (or better say as I can't get them to work) :D

export a gpx file from GSAK put it on the phone press the import button on the bottom of cachemate - thats it

export a gpx file from GSAK put it on the phone press the import button on the bottom of cachemate - thats it

Have done as suggested and it worked ok, even confirmed imports but that's it. Don't have anytthing on cachemate or anywhere else i can see. Have I managed to muddle all the settings etc? As per usual I am at a loss, but yet again one step further i suppose.

Help :D:D

I now feel your pain. I talked my wife into getting herself the HTC TYTN II and she has worked out everything on it except the GPS so I had a look and I can't see how it works or how to start it. I just see a quick GPS option and then download after that nothing happens.

The manual gives ZERO NADA NOWT ZILCH DIDDLY SQUAT advice.

I now feel your pain. I talked my wife into getting herself the HTC TYTN II and she has worked out everything on it except the GPS so I had a look and I can't see how it works or how to start it. I just see a quick GPS option and then download after that nothing happens.

Have you got the small app called GPS Test? (I have v1.04) Made by Chartcross Ltd. Free download - Google for it.

Start this up, then minimise. Leave it running in the background whilst using your apps that need a GPS.

GPS Test can set the COM Port (COM4) and baud rate (9600) for the GPS. Then minimise and carry on with TomTom or Memory-Map or whatever. Naturally, you need to match these settings in TT or MM.....

In MM set the Manufacturer as NMEA.

In TT, go to GPS status, Configure, Built in GPS.

Edited by HighlandNick

It's dead easy. The GPSr works when you fire up an application which uses it. i.e. Memory Map, Tom Tom etc. Just make sure you have the GPS config settings correct within the app (Com4:, 4800) and it will fly.

QuickGPS just pulls satellite positions for the next week from the Internet, so you get a very fast aquisition time.

If you don't have a GPS app and just want to test it there are plenty of free noddy apps at freewarepocketpc.net

It's dead easy. The GPSr works when you fire up an application which uses it. i.e. Memory Map, Tom Tom etc. Just make sure you have the GPS config settings correct within the app (Com4:, 4800) and it will fly.

QuickGPS just pulls satellite positions for the next week from the Internet, so you get a very fast aquisition time.

If you don't have a GPS app and just want to test it there are plenty of free noddy apps at freewarepocketpc.net

ah right, thanks for that. probably give it miss then as I don' have/use any of those prgrams myself and I can not justify spending anymore money on extra mapping.

Hi Donmoore,

I have the TyTnII and use the GPS built in to it with a program called Quo from Mapyx http://mapyx.com. This program comes in two parts; a Windows desktop program and a Windows Mobile program. Both are FREE and work well and you can buy OSI maps at 1:50,000 for 99p each [minimum of 6 at a time], so for less than 6 Pound you can get official OSI maps on your TyTnII mobile for quite a big area and even legally print them out. I use this tool for planning all my caching trips. Although when I'm out in the field I tend to use the OSM maps on my Garmins instead and a print out from Quo of the area I'm visiting. I now only tend to use the mobile version of Quo if I think I'm lost; which is pretty rare.

There is a Pro version of Quo which you can buy, this gives you more features than the FREE one.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Hi Donmoore,

I have the TyTnII and use the GPS built in to it with a program called Quo from Mapyx http://mapyx.com. This program comes in two parts; a Windows desktop program and a Windows Mobile program. Both are FREE and work well and you can buy OSI maps at 1:50,000 for 99p each [minimum of 6 at a time], so for less than 6 Pound you can get official OSI maps on your TyTnII mobile for quite a big area and even legally print them out. I use this tool for planning all my caching trips. Although when I'm out in the field I tend to use the OSM maps on my Garmins instead and a print out from Quo of the area I'm visiting. I now only tend to use the mobile version of Quo if I think I'm lost; which is pretty rare.

There is a Pro version of Quo which you can buy, this gives you more features than the FREE one.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for that. does seem to give me an option to hijack the phone from my wife.

Have done as suggested and it worked ok, even confirmed imports but that's it. Don't have anytthing on cachemate or anywhere else i can see. Have I managed to muddle all the settings etc? As per usual I am at a loss, but yet again one step further i suppose.

Help :laughing::unsure:

Sorry to bring this up again but I still have not managed to cross the final hurdle. Just can't get the information from GSAK to smartphone. Have now got cachemate on but I just don't seem to be able to export/import etc :laughing: . Can somebody please help, preferably with an easy to understand step by step guide how to get from GSAK to smartphone before something gets broken :laughing: . Thanks :laughing:

Which part are you having the problem with? Exporting the GPX file, moving to the HTC or importing it into Cachemate?

You know they are 3 seperate steps I assume?

Yes, it was kindly pointed out to me (otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue). I think I sort of struggle on all three elements. I can export the gpx file but not sure if i export it to the right place. Thought I managed to move it to HTC and it shows in there but can't open it due to application errors and nothing is showing on cachemate. So not sure which of the three steps I managed to mess up.

Thanks for any help :unsure:

1- Export the GPX to somewhere that you can find on your computer.

2- Connect your phone to your computer, I'm assuming you are using ActiveSync.

3- When the ActiveSync icon, in the system tray bottom right of your screen, turns green, right mouse click it and select Explore.

4- Go and find the GPX you exported from GSAK on your computer. Right mouse click it and select copy.

5- Go to the Explore window that opened when you did step 3. Navigate to My Documents on the phones memory. Right mouse click and select paste. If it's the first time you've copy 'n' pasted you might get a little box about conversions. Simply press ok and ignore.

6- Open Cachmate on the phone. Press import. Down the bottom, some sheets of paper with a red arrow pointing into them. Press Start and if the Folders is "All Folders" and Type is "Compatible Files", your GPX should be clickable underneath.

Hope that makes sense. If not, wait until lunch time when I'm back from work and I'll do some screenshots.

Thanks ever so much for your help. :huh:

I more or less did as suggested previously but after following your instructions and reading the link kindly provided by Sid and Bob I noticed that one of the filters must have been set wrongly and that is why none of the caches were showing. :lol:

Anyhow, all working fine now (I think, the proof will be in the pudding I guess :huh: ) so thanks for taking the time.

Susanne x

Windows Mobile creates a document folder on the desktop which is automatically synced with the mobile device. My mobile device is named John, so my document folder is "WM_John My Documents".

I created a folder under this named geocaching and placed my gpx files there. ActiveSync runs and my files can be found under "My Documents\Geocaching" on my device.

Then I created an Outlook 2003 macro to save the gpx files automatically. I used the Outlook rules wizard to run this macro every time a new message arrived with "Pocket Query" in the subject line.

I use (1) GPX file, all active caches within 20 miles and every day the latest version of it is placed on my Windows Mobile phone ready for use. BTW, I use GPSTuner which is great for caching.

Here is the Macro I wrote for Outlook to save the attachments...

Public Sub SaveGPXFiles(NewMail As MailItem)

' Purpose: Saves mail attachments from geocaching.com to pocket pc

Dim MailID As String

Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace

If InStr(1, NewMail.Subject, "Pocket Query") > 0 Then

For Each Attachment In NewMail.Attachments

FileName = "C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\WM_John My Documents\GeoCaching\" & Attachment.FileName

Attachment.SaveAsFile FileName

i = i + 1

Next Attachment

NewMail.Delete

End If

If i > 0 Then

MsgBox i & " new GPX Pocket Query file(s) arrived." & vbCrLf

Else

MsgBox "I didn't find any attached files in your Pocket Query mail.", vbInformation, _

"Finished!"

End If

End Sub

I hope somebody can make use of that.

John

thewengers

1- Export the GPX to somewhere that you can find on your computer.

2- Connect your phone to your computer, I'm assuming you are using ActiveSync.

3- When the ActiveSync icon, in the system tray bottom right of your screen, turns green, right mouse click it and select Explore.

4- Go and find the GPX you exported from GSAK on your computer. Right mouse click it and select copy.

5- Go to the Explore window that opened when you did step 3. Navigate to My Documents on the phones memory. Right mouse click and select paste. If it's the first time you've copy 'n' pasted you might get a little box about conversions. Simply press ok and ignore.

6- Open Cachmate on the phone. Press import. Down the bottom, some sheets of paper with a red arrow pointing into them. Press Start and if the Folders is "All Folders" and Type is "Compatible Files", your GPX should be clickable underneath.

Hope that makes sense. If not, wait until lunch time when I'm back from work and I'll do some screenshots.

Then I created an Outlook 2003 macro to save the gpx files automatically. I used the Outlook rules wizard to run this macro every time a new message arrived with "Pocket Query" in the subject line.

Did you know that GSAK introduced mail import functionality a while back? Works like a dream. :laughing:

Does the whole process in two mouse clicks and no housekeeping to do either.