It's Trackable, but should it be?

Hula Bum

And even with the coin name and cherry icon you still saw an innocent coin? Without infliction in the written word it's hard to tell, but that as a true question.

It was in no way meant to be a complaint thread. It wasn't meant to be a "do you see it" thread either, people seem to get hung up on this because they aren't able to actually address the question at hand... If you feel that GS should allow be anything goes, then state it. If you think they should allow anything that's not illegal in too many states, then state it, if you think that it should all be rated G, then state it, but get off the other tangents and get back to the topic.

OK, I am one who is guilty of looking at this coin only, for this discussion. I apologize.

I think someone would first have to SEE it to find the hidden meaning. I am not involved in the geocoin design approval process, but if I were, that one would have slipped right by me.

When I googled "Rorschach" before, to check my spelling of it, I looked into the link that came up. It showed the original inkblots used for the test.

Plate I:

I saw winged wolves dancing to the Polka.

Plate II:

I saw a couple of geese in tall caps, high five-ing each other, while dancing the Polka.

Plate III:

A couple of skeletons cooking over a cauldron, almost dancing a Polka.

Plate IV:

A stargazing cowboy on a Harley, heading my way of course......

etc... You get my drift? I didn't see any of the things "they" say they might represent, which is all sexual. So, if something is hidden inside the drawing of something else, you would have to be aware of it to see it. Many people in this thread didn't see it until it was brought up. I'm still not sure I see anything that even vaguely resembles the female anatomy. So, now, this coin has already been in production and this comes out. It's too late to close the barn door now. Whoever does the approving would have had to know there was a hidden meaning in the design. If they had known, perhaps changes might have been made. Since it came up after the fact, perhaps the best that could be done, at this late date, was to change the name and the icon.

I use myself as a "prude/not-prude" litmus test for this kind of thing. If it offends me, it will probably offend most sensibly-minded people. This one, until it was pointed out, did not offend me, and after it was pointed out, I still don't feel offended by it, because I don't see it outright. I doubt a child would ever figure it out. And I doubt that maybe 7 out of 10 people will see it either.

<edit for grammar>

TPTB are the ones who set the standards, if there are to be any, pushing the limits and sneaking things into designs is a newer thing, and the question is, where does the masses think the limits should be set (see my above post).

I think it's pretty hard to get a sense of "limits" in a forum setting. I can tell you where I think they should be but I'm pretty sure many folks would not agree - as already expresses a number of times here. So most people will tend to avoid getting involved in discussions like this. What you end up with a vocal minority (no offense to anyone in the thread) and not necessarily a real picture of the 'masses'.

Maybe if you had started the thread without mention of the coin in question, you would have got the response you were looking for. The addition of the coin has made it the focus and I'm guessing that wasn't your intent..just an example.

So after that rambling and to stay on topic, I do believe we are seeing the limits being pushed but I'm not sure it is over the top...yet.

And even with the coin name and cherry icon you still saw an innocent coin? Without infliction in the written word it's hard to tell, but that as a true question.

Let's stay with your original request for a discussion of standards. Just because someone doesn't see what you see is not really part of your originally stated intent for the thread, is it?

Thank you Tokos for staying focused here. What is over the top (in your opinion of course, which you are entitled to as long as I agree with it :huh: ) Just kidding!

TPTB are the ones who set the standards, if there are to be any, pushing the limits and sneaking things into designs is a newer thing, and the question is, where does the masses think the limits should be set (see my above post).

I think it's pretty hard to get a sense of "limits" in a forum setting. I can tell you where I think they should be but I'm pretty sure many folks would not agree - as already expresses a number of times here. So most people will tend to avoid getting involved in discussions like this. What you end up with a vocal minority (no offense to anyone in the thread) and not necessarily a real picture of the 'masses'.

Maybe if you had started the thread without mention of the coin in question, you would have got the response you were looking for. The addition of the coin has made it the focus and I'm guessing that wasn't your intent..just an example.

So after that rambling and to stay on topic, I do believe we are seeing the limits being pushed but I'm not sure it is over the top...yet.

It is because the title and the icon are part of the standard.

Let's stay with your original request for a discussion of standards. Just because someone doesn't see what you see is not really part of your originally stated intent for the thread, is it?

It is interesting to see how much a sexual theme gets everyone sharing opinions!

Too bad the OP had nothing to do with the actual design of the coin, but simply offered one way the design could be interpreted and asked what the approval process was.

Personally, I "got" it. I saw the potential innuendo. This was re-enforced by the icon. If you didn't and, I therefore have a dirty mind -- well... I don't like the color of your socks!

SO! If we put aside whether the coins does or does not represent a sexual subcontext.

If we put aside that this coin is pretty or ugly.

Heck - let's even toss aside the question as to whether this coins does/does not should/should not cross the "line" of good taste.

We distill the thread back to the original question. What makes the "cut" when it comes to approval? What is the line that cannot be crossed? Themes of violence, themes of sexuality, themes of....

It is interesting that just mentioning that you see a vagina in this coin gets you labelled as "having your mind in the gutter" or that you are somehow "wrong" for seeing something. Personally, the shape of the artwork + the cherry + the "first time" phrase is a pretty strong indication that there is some sexual energy in this coin! :huh:

Who knows....maaaaybe ze sexual energi iz deep vithin ze subconcience of ze caching community. Ze desie to seek ze return to ze woom od ze earth muzzer as represented by ze tupperwear container of treats....

or not.

Question remains. How did this get approved? Secondly, is it appropriate?

What you end up with a vocal minority (no offense to anyone in the thread) and not necessarily a real picture of the 'masses'.

Too bad they don't have a poll option here where people could cast their vote anonymously on whether or not they think it's appropriate.

I think I know another place though... :huh:

LFD, it's been too long, you are too funny!

Thanks! - wait until you see my Freud coin. Lot's of trees, caves, a train going through a tunnel! :huh:

For what it's worth - I totally see this coin for what I see it as what I think I see it as! :)

I also wonder just how it got approved. I mean ONE element I can see - but this one is an entire sexual cocktail of innuendo!!! (no pun intended)

Thank you Tokos for staying focused here. What is over the top (in your opinion of course, which you are entitled to as long as I agree with it :huh: ) Just kidding!

Now here is where I will run into difficulty.. and it's not an easy one to call. I mean I would like to say those things that promote sex and violence are over the top. But does that mean the Scout knife or the 007 gun? For me it doesn't but others may take it literally. And me being a Christian, I know a lot of folks may take offense to my personal coin and other Christian themed coins which I would not. By the way that is one reason I tried to make my personal coin subtle and yet still meaningful to me.

Which brings me back to my earlier point...I think all I can do is just not buy the coins that 'offend' me because it's a real can of worms when you try to classify limits.

The first coin posted in this thread might contain some possible innuendo. Some people may see something inappropriate while others may not, that's the point of innuendo. The only way to block a coin containing any type of innuendo would be to have it reviewed by several people. This would most likely slow down the approval process, use much more time (if each person fears approving the coin it will take them much longer to pass it on) and create a backlog of coins to review. I imagine the people that review artwork have more to their job then looking at coins all day.

I think a certain amount of coins that offend will continue to be produced as you can't please everyone. Some may be about subjects that offend, while others will contain innuendo that some may find offensive. I don't see how it could be otherwise and still remain a business. You most likely will see some coins produced that are ugly or offensive, others will find it beautiful and/or inoffensive.

The swiss army knife coin was brought up earlier in the discussion. It was used as a example of coin that may have been inappropriate to produce. And the question asked why the coin, if the knife itself is not allowed in a cache. My understanding of the subject about knives in caches is that it pertained to the states, not children. In different states justice systems will sentence people to community service, there are also Jail/Prison work programs. Certain jurisdictions brought up the subject, as they did not want these people to find a cache and have ready access to knife. Also in other country's many if not all knives have been banned. The Swiss Army Knife coin does still pertain to caching, as many people do in fact carry a knife while caching.

I see it, my wife did not. I'm shutting up now.

I never saw the original icon or original name. It had already been removed.

You also have to take into consideration that this is a world-wide hobby, so who gets offended will vary from country to country. In Europe, bare bosoms are posted in advertising right there in the store fronts for all to see. That wouldn't happen in the US, even the raunchy movies get a room of their own hidden somewhere (no, I don't know where!). So what crosses the line probably depends on where you are from.

If I was handed this design, and the icons, and had seen it all together at one time, I most likely would have requested changes. But I don't think those changes would have been in the design of the coin faces, they would have been with the wording on the coin, the icon and the name. Then probably no one would have seen anything sexual.

I try very hard to keep my opinions about individual geocoin designs out of anything that I post. So, I can't really bring up any examples of coins I wouldn't like to see. But there are some out there that wouldn't have gotten past me without some changes. I haven't seen all the coins out there, they weren't all sold in these forums.

Now, if you don't mind, I will stop even using the word sexual in my posts!

I suggest that Groundspeak should limit all future coin artwork to regular polygons (triangles, squares, etc) up to a maximum of, say, 8 sides (above that number, they start to get dangerously round-looking).

After all, anything which is longer than it is wide, will automatically be interpreted by any child over the age of 3 as either a (deleted) if it appears convex, or a (deleted) if it appears concave.

If that works for a couple of years then maybe perfect circles could be allowed. But personally I'd be against that right now because I can name several anatomical features - you know, "icky things" - commonly found below the waist which, when viewed from an inappropriate angle, can be interpreted as circles. In fact the overall shape of most geocoins (round!) is probably as much as most of us can bear.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an oval ever be permitted within a circle. Every elementary school teacher knows that if their class ever sees an oval within a circle, the kids have to be hosed down with cold water and receive months of psychological counselling. And for goodness' sake make sure the kids don't ever see the cross-section of an apple.

Holy Crap!!!!! Thats awesome, you are funny!!!! Thanks that just made my day!!! LMAO!!!

Then I guess this one should get removed from the face of the earth, too :huh:

323_0.jpg

Do you see, how the "man" slowly stands up in the oval, only to get down again :huh:;)

(Please do not tak me serious on this one :))

My opinion is similar to RSGs:

- As long as no hidden violence, racism or something like that is hidden in a design, it is all fine with me.

-> But like Eartha said, I am from Europe/Germany, we have legalized the "horizontal"-business and the government even taxes this business, so you might say, there is not much that we can get offended about concerning this topic...

- Parents should watch their children while caching and keep them from coins or swag, that they think is inappropriate

Now, if you don't mind, I will stop even using the word sexual in my posts!

Yes....bury ze vord deeeeeep into ze physcie so zat it can mifest itself in ze forum moderation activities....deeeeep in ze phychie....

Wow I never thought to actually read a dialect in English ;)

This topic reminds me of a very interesting movie: "Not Yet Rated". It examines the cultural values that shape our country's system for rating movies.

I find it very interesting that in general, violence will not necessarily get you an 'R' rating. Sexual content, however, will. Somehow, hurting other people, blood and gore is more appropriate for younger viewers than intimacy? It is a fascinating look at what is considered 'acceptable' in the USA. An example given from the documentary: images of a woman's anguished face during a sexual assault get an 'R' rating, while images of a woman's face while experiencing an orgasm get an 'X' rating. (If that was too explicit, just delete my post!).

Starting a discussion about the review criteria for trackable GC coins is vailid.

Just don't show the coin to your kid if you are worried about it.

For a family-friendly sport, this issue should never come up. You shouldn't have to hide something from your kid while caching IMO.

This sport/hobby is supposed to "family friendly", but it is not supposed to be a children's sport/hobby. Children are not expected to be out geocaching unaccompanied. The adults should be opening the caches and looking through them before the kids get their hands on them (for a variety of reasons). If the adult sees something he/she considers offensive (like, for example, a religious image), then the adult should not show it to his/her children. That is my opinion.

I don't disagree at all.

My point is that Groundspeak promotes this as a family-friendly game. If that's the case, then they should never have approved this design to be included in their game. That's all.

I agree that Groundspeak has to draw the line somewhere, but I personally do not find this coin design to be "crossing the line". I do not have much desire to buy this coin, but I think it is quite humorous that some people are so offended by it. :huh:

I suggest that Groundspeak should limit all future coin artwork to regular polygons (triangles, squares, etc) up to a maximum of, say, 8 sides (above that number, they start to get dangerously round-looking).

After all, anything which is longer than it is wide, will automatically be interpreted by any child over the age of 3 as either a (deleted) if it appears convex, or a (deleted) if it appears concave.

If that works for a couple of years then maybe perfect circles could be allowed. But personally I'd be against that right now because I can name several anatomical features - you know, "icky things" - commonly found below the waist which, when viewed from an inappropriate angle, can be interpreted as circles. In fact the overall shape of most geocoins (round!) is probably as much as most of us can bear.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an oval ever be permitted within a circle. Every elementary school teacher knows that if their class ever sees an oval within a circle, the kids have to be hosed down with cold water and receive months of psychological counselling. And for goodness' sake make sure the kids don't ever see the cross-section of an apple.

LMAO :huh::):huh: Brilliant.

Why is it that the Europeans seem to be the least bothered by all this than most Americans? Switch the topic to violence and the trend will reverse itself I should think. So it is cultural after all.

Because this coin does not have a controversial design unless someone with a skewed outlook sees a controversy into it. It is all in your heads.

So the slogan "you never forget your first" with a popped your cherry icon is in no way a sexual reference. Silly me :huh:

Still, it's not really about this coin (hate it, love it, buy 100 of them for all anyone cares). This coin is one example being used to ask a bigger question.

The slogan was sophmoric in it's blunder to be an innuendo to it's double meaning. Nothing clever about it. Ho hum. Boring. So what!

The larger question? Which one is that? Why was this approved and others weren't? Which others? Give something for comparison. It's hard to make blanket statements on standards when only one example is given.

Serial Cacher was approved. Huntin for Cache was approved. A whole squadron of fighter airplanes got approved. Heat seeking missiles were approved (should please both the violent and the sex maniacs). :) Swashbuckling Pirates was approved and you get to pull the weapon out of it's sheath and re-insert it... as many times as you want!! Snicker snicker snicker

Edited by Droo

What about if you turn it on its side?

firsttimecopperback2side.jpg

Oh...now I see it. The "G" spot is in the middle. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Hey hey hey! You're having way too much fun with that thing. Stop it!! You'll go blind you know.

Maybe it just means I have too much time on my hands, but I just read this whole thread, from beginning to end, in one sitting. I'm not looking to throw blame or put down anyones opinions; all I wanted to say is that I was thoroughly entertained by the matter.

Maybe it just means I have too much time on my hands, but I just read this whole thread, from beginning to end, in one sitting. I'm not looking to throw blame or put down anyones opinions; all I wanted to say is that I was thoroughly entertained by the matter.

I guess that is the best summary so far :huh:

It was in no way meant to be a complaint thread. It wasn't meant to be a "do you see it" thread either, people seem to get hung up on this because they aren't able to actually address the question at hand... If you feel that GS should allow be anything goes, then state it. If you think they should allow anything that's not illegal in too many states, then state it, if you think that it should all be rated G, then state it, but get off the other tangents and get back to the topic.

The topic then is what are the standards? Ask Brian. I understand that's his bailiwick and his word is the last one. Groundspeak is Jeremy's company and I believe he runs it as he sees fit. None of my business. But if you want my opinion on sex vs. violence I'm all over it!!! :huh:

BTW I don't have an ax to grind. I have not had designs rejected nor am I privy to those designs that did get rejected for being "over the top" or whatever. You clearly have had some experience in that area and it may be more forthcoming if you provide some images for comparison so public opinion can take sides in a way that is more to the point.

Nope, never had a design rejected. I would provide examples, but you see, if it was rejected it is not allowed to be talked about here, so that makes the example thing kinda hard. Those who are involved in coins, know of the coins I speak.

*snip* But if you want my opinion on sex vs. violence I'm all over it!!! :huh:

So there is no 'boundary' that you wouldn't cross? It's okay to have XXX rated coins, KKK insignias, foul language? Those may be extremes but I'm trying to point out that the OP is asking what are the limits. Surely you must have limits to what should be allowed?

I think someone would first have to SEE it to find the hidden meaning.

I don't think that's the case at all. I got the coinswag blast, it said "You Always Remember Your first." And then there was a cherry icon... I immediately chuckled and thought of naughty things... and I hadn't even seen the coin. When i scrolled down to look at the coin my mind was already predisposed to whatever hidden imagery it contained...

No, I think Groundspeak should rethink this one. Even with the obvious name change and no brainer cherry icon change.

Edit: Did I find it offensive? no ~ Did I think it was inappropriate? yes

Edited by avroair

So there is no 'boundary' that you wouldn't cross? It's okay to have XXX rated coins, KKK insignias, foul language? Those may be extremes but I'm trying to point out that the OP is asking what are the limits. Surely you must have limits to what should be allowed?

Do you think GC would really approve a KKK coin or foul language, seriously.

Do you think GC would really approve a KKK coin or foul language, seriously.

come on now..read the post. I'm trying to point out that there needs to be limits..just what are they in your mind..

To answer the actual question the only people that would know what should and shouldn't be approved is Groundspeak.

They have a process, you submit a design, they give it a yay or nay.

If they give it the yes or no then that is their decision.

I agree if they approve something that has a decrypted message. Then they later find out there was a hidden message, they would have the right to pull that design after it was approved.

0100110101111001001000000110001101101111011010010110111000100000011000010111000001110000011100100110111101110110011001010111001000100000011010010111001100100000011000010010000001100100011011110110111100100000011001000110111101101111001000000110100001100101011000010110010000100001

(The above is a SAFE example you can use) :-)

Beyond that, if they approve a design and someone finds it offensive then you could always contact them with your concerns to see what their reasoning is for approving or denying a design.

At least from my personal experience if they had any issues with a coin name if I asked why I always got the reasoning why.

The problem as I see, it is now going to cause more work for those minting coins. I can now see TPTB require the Name and the Icon along with the art before approving the coin.

So those who think this was not thought about before, one only needs to read the post:

We made the mistake of trying to be a little funny with our choice of the name of the coin and the icon. When I named the coin and chose the icon I thought people would find it humorous not offensive or I would have never chose the name and icon.

Edited by nielsenc

I personally like swiss army knives, but my point that you missed obviously, is that if they are forbidden from being used as swag, why are they allowed to be made into a trackable coin?

cuz coins don't cut people. and not everyone knows how to handle a knife.

duh. :huh:

Sadly, it looks like TPTB need to require it all upfront....

The problem as I see, it is now going to cause more work for those minting coins. I can now see TPTB require the Name and the Icon along with the art before approving the coin.

So those who think this was not thought about before, one only needs to read the post:

We made the mistake of trying to be a little funny with our choice of the name of the coin and the icon. When I named the coin and chose the icon I thought people would find it humorous not offensive or I would have never chose the name and icon.

And vodka coins don't get people drunk, but you're not allowed to put a bottle in a cache. So as long as it's not the real thing, it's ok?

i think that's probably it.

and my other 2 cents is that i think this coin is far enough away from "the real thing" (whatever you see that as), to be acceptable. i tend to agree that it could now be called the rorshack test coin, due to all the speculation about its original intent.

0100110101111001001000000110001101101111011010010110111000100000011000010111000001110000011100100110111101110110011001010111001000100000011010010111001100100000011000010010000001100100011011110110111100100000011001000110111101101111001000000110100001100101011000010110010000100001

hahahaha

I find the coin neither distasteful nor inappropriate, but thats just my opinion.

For the record, I am a father of 3 pre-teen girls that come out with me, and would not even be remotely concerned if they saw that coin.

I really wasn't sure if I was going to post this, as it may end up being free advertising for this coin.... But, I was quite surprised to see that this coin had tracking numbers on it.

I'm far from a prude, but do strongly believe that geocaching should be family friendly, so when I saw that Groundspeak had approved this design I was stunned. (Take a close look at the back especially)

Is this a case of approver not taking a close look at the design or is it really come down to anything goes as long as you are paying for those tracking numbers? And why would someone design, make and sell a coin like this knowing that it is supposed to be family friendly? Just to see if they could get away with it?

yhst2087346820313820105dc7.jpg

(Sorry in advance mods, I know this will probably stir up all kinds of trouble, but it IS trackable, so it's fair game!)

So no one complains about the weird two horned guy with blood but when someone "thinks" they "might" see something sexual you get all up in arms? Gore ok, sex not ok. I get it now.

Actually, I don't think this thread was meant to be a complaint department. I think it was started to address this very idea. What are the standards, what would be grounds for revsions or flat out rejection?

Ok then are the standards that blood and gore is appropriate and perceived sexuality is not?

I have no idea what the standards are. That's what's being asked - what are they? Who decides what's ok and how do they decide that?

Sheesh. I'm not trying to push my opinion or values on anyone. I'm just hoping to get some information. If this thread ever gets back on topic, it might actually be interesting.

Gee, if both of you re-read the original post, there is nothing in there asking "what the standards are",

but rather, the main topic seems to be how "stunned" and "surprised" the OP was to see this design, and how they "strongly believe that geocaching should be family friendly".

This thread started as a simple rant, and now you want to turn it into a dicsussion of the design standards of trackable geocoins? And pretend that was the original intent? Maybe that could be it's own topic?

Perhaps the design "slipped by" the approvers because there is nothing to "Slip by".

And vodka coins don't get people drunk, but you're not allowed to put a bottle in a cache. So as long as it's not the real thing, it's ok?

Let's go one step further. So should I be banned from all forums and never allowed to cache again b/c of my name? What if someone's kid goes to a cache I visited and then takes a gun to school? Is it my fault? If you say yes, you should be committed. I'm tired of parents not parenting their kids. If you go to the cache and find this coin, don't show it to your kids. If you're worried about your kids seeing this coin, then you have other issues that probably would take priority over this one. You should get rid of your TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, and go live on the backside of mountain out in the middle of nowhere. You can grow your own food and make your own clothes, and you'll never have to deal with society again. I was originally teetering towards inappropriate, but the more I think about it and read this thread, I say why the hay not. I don't like the design (no offense to JSAM), but I wouldn't have a problem finding one in a cache and moving it along like any other TB.

Edit: I too find this whole thread amusing and entertaining.

Edited by RifleMan81

Let's go one step further. So should I be banned from all forums and never allowed to cache again b/c of my name? What if someone's kid goes to a cache I visited and then takes a gun to school? Is it my fault? If you say yes, you should be committed. I'm tired of parents not parenting their kids. If you go to the cache and find this coin, don't show it to your kids. If you're worried about your kids seeing this coin, then you have other issues that probably would take priority over this one. You should get rid of your TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, and go live on the backside of mountain out in the middle of nowhere. You can grow your own food and make your own clothes, and you'll never have to deal with society again. I was originally teetering towards inappropriate, but the more I think about it and read this thread, I say why the hay not. I don't like the design (no offense to JSAM), but I wouldn't have a problem finding one in a cache and moving it along like any other TB.

Edit: I too find this whole thread amusing and entertaining.

Yes, of course you should! I find it highly offensive that you cherish the most important aspect of American Citizenship. You shouldn't be flagrantly showing off the rights that were payed for over and over in American blood. All coins offending anyone should be gathered together and burned at a mass riot to appease the sensitive nature of the few who find angst in their designs. It's high time we started EVEN MORE CENSORSHIP around here. Everybody knows that the human body (and all it's collective parts) is a horribly ugly and offensive collaboration of grotesqueness. We should cover it up by draping ourselves in sack cloth and hiding our horrible visages from each other. Thank goodness people are watching out for you and me and deciding what we should be allowed to see. To think of all the abuse I've suffered from looking at art on a daily basis over the course of my life. Someone is to blame, but with everyone's help we'll find a witch and burn her before the day is done and all will be right again. :huh:

Seriously? Are we so bored that this question merits pages of debate? Don't like, don't buy it. Problem solved and no crispy witches to sweep up either. :)

Robert, you are correct, it took a little time to work through it all and verbalize what I was really curious about, but the reason I was "stunned" was because GS let the design go through, I was not stunned or surprised by the design itself. It really is how this got through and many others haven't.

It's the lack of consistent standards that I have issue with.

Rifleman, you need to understand that this is not about "me", I don't need to do anything, and your name is not the issue here, names aren't approved by TPTB. I carry a gun, I have a pocket knife in my backpack, heck sometimes we even take a flask on a cache. Those are all my personal choices and I am not putting any of them in caches because not only would that be not very smart, it's against the rules.

As to Woletrap's "anything goes" philosophy, thank you for your stand, as I see it things like a coin(please keep in mind I am not necessarily talking about this coin), can be damaging or hurtful even if they are not "real".