It's Trackable, but should it be?

Hula Bum

While I doubt my kids would see what many see in this coin, I see nothing in it.

Oh - I see the vagina, but I see nothing of any interest in this coin. It's over-designed, set-up to be interpreted with innuendo. Sorry. It's too much of a match between, "first time, always remember your first time, cherry icon, non-round (vagina-ish) design....etc.

Maybe the joke was on the person that hired the designer, maybe it was intentional, maybe it was accidental.

That said, I suspect the only time I'll ever see this coin is here in these forums. Most will be tucked away in collections and brought out with a little chuckle at events (c'mon - you just KNOW that's gonna happen).

Hopefully folks have the good sense to not show them (and explain them) to kids.

As for Groundspeak approving it? - I suspect they didn't do so knowingly. They saw the cherry icon and caught that reference (shot it down), but probably missed the possible innuendo. It would serve no purpose to have them accept it, as their rejection wouldn't have stopped a coin getting made - just modified.

This coin really is so busy it doesn't seem very "clear" what the heck is going on in it!

No problem with the design, took me a while to get the "alleged image" I think a few people pushing their views here need to get out more or maybe even get of the horse.

As for the Cherry Icon, big deal, take a look at some kids tv, I am sure you will find much more innuendo there in just a few minutes.

I don't know anyone who has posted here, looking in from the outside it looks like a personal beef. I assume that impression is completely wrong!

Stop worrying about it and go find some tupperware :blink:

(Mongers awaits his flaming)

I don't see anything different from this and the nude caching and even the side boob in your avatar Hula Bum. Family friendly? No, but this isn't the only one. Maybe this one should be non-trackable.

Seriously? Nudity is not the issue here, that's a personal choice and there are plenty of areas where public nudity is perfectly family friendly, but you don't go flaunting certain areas (as the coin has). I wouldn't even care about it if it was non trackable and personal, the issue for me is that it was approved by the Org. who says this is all supposed to be family friendly.

????? That is the pot calling the kettle black? :blink:

I for one see a coin with the images from side duplicated sideways on the other side.

If there are any hidden images you really have to look for it. And once the suggestions start popping up, of course everyone will see it.

The Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich:

95226_0.jpg

Jesus in a tree trunk:

13528173.jpg

The Face on Mars:

face.jpg

Jesus in a cloud:

god_face2.jpg

Yes, Jesus even shows up in kitchen cabinets:

070815122253_JESUS_CABINET.jpg

If I had posted with those with nothing mentioned, you might have seen a sandwich, a tree, rocks, a cloud, and a door.

If anything was hidden in the coin, it sounds to me like Team Jsam was not aware of it, and if it was done on purpose and without his knowledge, I don't think that was very fair to Team Jsam.

As far as this thread goes, please leave personal comments and attacks out of it.

As far as Groundspeak goes, I can't speak for how it was approved, but I'm sure it was because whoever was looking at it had a clean mind, and saw hiking trails, trees with a hidden cache, ammo cans, clouds, some sky, some grass, geocachers, the generic G logo, and a GPS. I don't think they saw what everyone is suggesting is, or isn't, there.

To date here, no one has shown us a photo of the sample coin from the mint, which I'm sure won't look just like the drawing. They never do come out exactly like the drawing, and I'll bet things will look a little different.

And yes, I probably could have googled some other images for examples, but I couldn't exactly have posted them here.

No personal beef here, heck, I didn't even know who made the coin until 2 pages in (yes, I was dumb and didn't bother to read the page, but at least my view wasn't skewed because of it).

AGAIN, really don't care about the design, I just don't understand why certain things get approved and others don't, I've seen other stuff get shot down by GS that wasn't this obvious.

And, to my knowledge the icon and name were approved by GS, it wasn't until later that they were changed, so they didn't catch any of it on their own.

No problem with the design, took me a while to get the "alleged image" I think a few people pushing their views here need to get out more or maybe even get of the horse.

As for the Cherry Icon, big deal, take a look at some kids tv, I am sure you will find much more innuendo there in just a few minutes.

I don't know anyone who has posted here, looking in from the outside it looks like a personal beef. I assume that impression is completely wrong!

Stop worrying about it and go find some tupperware :blink:

I'm with you on this. I'm sure the sells of this coin will go up now with the free ad from this thread. :(

I had never heard of this coin until I started reading this thread. Had I found this coin in a cache I very much doubt I would have noticed the imagery of the reverse. Now I have seen it... No, I don't find it offensive. I've no idea whether the design was intentional or accidental. Nope... Just can't get worked up about this one.

MrsB

Stop worrying about it and go find some tupperware :(

I'm with you on this. I'm sure the sells of this coin will go up now with the free ad from this thread. :D

Lucky for them :blink:

Perhaps they should send the complainants a free coin as a thank you :(

I for one see a coin with the images from side duplicated sideways on the other side.

If there are any hidden images you really have to look for it. And once the suggestions start popping up, of course everyone will see it.

The Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich:

95226_0.jpg

Jesus in a cloud:

god_face2.jpg

Yes, Jesus even shows up in kitchen cabinets:

070815122253_JESUS_CABINET.jpg

If I had posted with those with nothing mentioned, you might have seen a sandwich, a tree, rocks, a cloud, and a door.

I'd see Marlene Dietrich

An Alien

A Storm Trooper

:blink:

The SALES may go up, no worries, I'm more curious about people's thoughts on the topic at hand, which some people seem to be having a real hard time focusing on. Any thoughts on the topic at hand?

Think that was answered, "no problem with it", maybe its just not what some people want to hear :blink:

I suggest that Groundspeak should limit all future coin artwork to regular polygons (triangles, squares, etc) up to a maximum of, say, 8 sides (above that number, they start to get dangerously round-looking).

After all, anything which is longer than it is wide, will automatically be interpreted by any child over the age of 3 as either a (deleted) if it appears convex, or a (deleted) if it appears concave.

If that works for a couple of years then maybe perfect circles could be allowed. But personally I'd be against that right now because I can name several anatomical features - you know, "icky things" - commonly found below the waist which, when viewed from an inappropriate angle, can be interpreted as circles. In fact the overall shape of most geocoins (round!) is probably as much as most of us can bear.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an oval ever be permitted within a circle. Every elementary school teacher knows that if their class ever sees an oval within a circle, the kids have to be hosed down with cold water and receive months of psychological counselling. And for goodness' sake make sure the kids don't ever see the cross-section of an apple.

I'm really not worried about children here, my issue is that Groundspeak approved it and what is next? I have long felt that Vodka bottles and swiss army knives were not apporpriate coins to be trackable either being that they are not allowed in a cache because they're not "family" friendly. This is just one more step towards "anything goes" as long as we get our fees.

My next coin (and I can copy the artwork of the GPS and hand on the back of this coin)-Stroke the GPS right and it will point you right to the Cache......

Well, If you think there's anything wrong with the depiction of a Swiss Army Knife, then I guess that tells me a little about how much weight I should put on your opinion of the matter. Give me a BREAK, All dipictions of sun and stars and any fire shouldn't be allowed either!!

Get a clue.

I personally like swiss army knives, but my point that you missed obviously, is that if they are forbidden from being used as swag, why are they allowed to be made into a trackable coin? You don't need to put any weight on my opinion, what does that have to do with anything anyways?

I'm really not worried about children here, my issue is that Groundspeak approved it and what is next? I have long felt that Vodka bottles and swiss army knives were not apporpriate coins to be trackable either being that they are not allowed in a cache because they're not "family" friendly. This is just one more step towards "anything goes" as long as we get our fees.

My next coin (and I can copy the artwork of the GPS and hand on the back of this coin)-Stroke the GPS right and it will point you right to the Cache......

Well, If you think there's anything wrong with the depiction of a Swiss Army Knife, then I guess that tells me a little about how much weight I should put on your opinion of the matter. Give me a BREAK, All dipictions of sun and stars and any fire shouldn't be allowed either!!

Get a clue.

I too was wondering when this particular thread was going to start.

When I heard the name of the coin, saw the cherry icon, and saw the back of the coin, It quickly "clicked" in my mind and I understood what the whole coin was "about".

To say that the shapes on the back of the coin had nothing to do with the underlying theme of the coin is just laughable.

Do I think it's "obscene?" No. Would I buy one? No.

978-1-59078-541-6.jpg

I have the same problem finding the hidden objects in the Highlights magazine in the waiting room of the doctor's office. I can't find the spoon in this one or can I?

Now, I am off to poke a stick at box hidden in a bush...er, I mean go geocaching.

I personally like swiss army knives, but my point that you missed obviously, is that if they are forbidden from being used as swag, why are they allowed to be made into a trackable coin?

Because a real physical knife in a cache could hurt a small child. Whereas an image of a knife on a coin is reasonably unlikely to. Groundspeak is not running a campaign against the very idea of pocket knives.

I personally like swiss army knives, but my point that you missed obviously, is that if they are forbidden from being used as swag, why are they allowed to be made into a trackable coin?

Because a real physical knife in a cache could hurt a small child. ...

just about anything in a cache could hurt a small child. it is up to the parents to protect the child, not the cacher. sheesh! a micro coin can be swallowed no matter what is on it.

rsg

Because a real physical knife in a cache could hurt a small child. Whereas an image of a knife on a coin is reasonably unlikely to. Groundspeak is not running a campaign against the very idea of pocket knives.

If anyone sees anything at all that is not "Family Friendly" in a pocket multi tool that happens to have a cutting blade, they really have some strange way of looking at the world around them. The reason knives are not allowed in Caches has nothing whatsoever to do with being Family Friendly, it is only to prevent the possibility of injury due to mishandling or mishaps.

I suggest that Groundspeak should limit all future coin artwork to regular polygons (triangles, squares, etc) up to a maximum of, say, 8 sides (above that number, they start to get dangerously round-looking).

After all, anything which is longer than it is wide, will automatically be interpreted by any child over the age of 3 as either a (deleted) if it appears convex, or a (deleted) if it appears concave.

If that works for a couple of years then maybe perfect circles could be allowed. But personally I'd be against that right now because I can name several anatomical features - you know, "icky things" - commonly found below the waist which, when viewed from an inappropriate angle, can be interpreted as circles. In fact the overall shape of most geocoins (round!) is probably as much as most of us can bear.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an oval ever be permitted within a circle. Every elementary school teacher knows that if their class ever sees an oval within a circle, the kids have to be hosed down with cold water and receive months of psychological counselling. And for goodness' sake make sure the kids don't ever see the cross-section of an apple.

Holy Crap!!!!! Thats awesome, you are funny!!!! Thanks that just made my day!!! LMAO!!!

B)B):D:D:DB):D:blink::(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:DB):D:D

:(:(:blink: Ha, ha, ha. I can't even believe this thread. So what... if you squint and turn your head to the side and use A LOT of imagination you maybe "see" something in the drawing? How ridiculous. So no one complains about the weird two horned guy with blood but when someone "thinks" they "might" see something sexual you get all up in arms? Gore ok, sex not ok. I get it now.

My suggestion is if it offends you don't buy it, don't pick it up from and cache and for goodness sake keep your children from it. But really, it sounds like some of you might need another hobby, something less controversial.

Just my 10 cents!

:(:(:blink: Ha, ha, ha. I can't even believe this thread. So what... if you squint and turn your head to the side and use A LOT of imagination you maybe "see" something in the drawing? How ridiculous. So no one complains about the weird two horned guy with blood but when someone "thinks" they "might" see something sexual you get all up in arms? Gore ok, sex not ok. I get it now.

My suggestion is if it offends you don't buy it, don't pick it up from and cache and for goodness sake keep your children from it. But really, it sounds like some of you might need another hobby, something less controversial.

Just my 10 cents!

AMEN sister!

rsg

Correct me if I’m wrong. The question was not “are you offended by sexually suggestive designs?” or even “what do you see here?” The question is why this particular coin was approved when other coins with controversial content have not been. What is the standard? What specifically about the rejected coins made them not get approved? Is it based on the approver’s opinion? What is the limit to what you can put on a coin, whether it be sexual, violent, hateful, whatever and how can coin designers know the limits? Basically, what is the standard by which coins are approved or rejected? “Family-friendly” is not clear enough and apparently common sense is not a good standard either.

As far as this coin goes, it is obvious that the coin was designed to be sexually suggestive. The designer behind the coin is known for thoughtful, detailed coins. She is a purposeful designer and I do not believe the design was randomly thrown together and, oh oops, just coincidentally looks like female anatomy. Whether Jsam intended the design to have obvious sexual innuendo or not, the reference is clear to enough people that it is more than just a few dirty minds seeing something that is not there. It doesn’t take imagination or perversity to see it.

The name, slogan, previous icon, and design of this coin (all initially approved) all point to obvious sexual innuendo, so why was this coin approved while similarly “tongue-in-cheek” designs may be rejected?

Because this coin does not have a controversial design unless someone with a skewed outlook sees a controversy into it. It is all in your heads.

When we first started this coin last year the idea of the coin was to enable the buyer to be able to have the GC numbers of their first find and hide put on the coin, due to cost we had to change that idea to the current coin you see today. Just thought I would post.

csffrtestsmall.jpg

Because a real physical knife in a cache could hurt a small child. ...

just about anything in a cache could hurt a small child. it is up to the parents to protect the child, not the cacher. sheesh! a micro coin can be swallowed no matter what is on it.

rsg

Oh yeah - have to agree - kids and dangerous - let's look at everything which is put in a cache......pennies, little swag - and even bubbles if they drink it. But back on thread - the trackable micro coins are not toddler friendly if it comes to safety without supervision of a parent.

This sport is a great teaching tool - let's allow adults and parents to use it to teach.

And while we are about it - to wash hands after searching for a cache......I am a public health nurse and one should wash their hands.

As for the coin in question - I would have never even questioned had there not been so much discussion about what was wrong, not right or what did one see in this coin. Some folks might see a tribal symbol. The Geocaching G is definitely there ........ hey, cointest LOL how much do you see on this coin!

So no one complains about the weird two horned guy with blood but when someone "thinks" they "might" see something sexual you get all up in arms? Gore ok, sex not ok. I get it now.

Actually, I don't think this thread was meant to be a complaint department. I think it was started to address this very idea. What are the standards, what would be grounds for revsions or flat out rejection?

Ok then are the standards that blood and gore is appropriate and perceived sexuality is not?

I have 5 children and I hope they will not be mass murderers AND I hope they will have a healthy sex life. Now, do I think that a coin with blood will lead them on a path to be a serial killer? No. Do I think that swirly drawings that "could" be looked at as sexual is going to whack my kids sexual health? No.

This is a pet peeve for me. I have more friends that will allow their children to see a movie that shows killing but if it shows breasts.... oh my gosh! :huh:

My opinion, see what ever you want to think is in the coin. Intent is not to be offensive to "your eyes". Heck, if this coin seems offensive, how about Christmas Holiday coins, Easter coins, those can be offensive to those who are not Christian.

Then what about the sextant coin. Which contains the word sex. Should that be renamed because it's not family friendly. Not to mention doesn't follow the shape rules suggested.

My thought, get over it. Don't purchase the coin, go find a cache, better yet, place a cache.

Oh yeah - have to agree - kids and dangerous - let's look at everything which is put in a cache......pennies, little swag - and even bubbles if they drink it. But back on thread - the trackable micro coins are not toddler friendly if it comes to safety without supervision of a parent.

This sport is a great teaching tool - let's allow adults and parents to use it to teach.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

So no one complains about the weird two horned guy with blood but when someone "thinks" they "might" see something sexual you get all up in arms? Gore ok, sex not ok. I get it now.

Actually, I don't think this thread was meant to be a complaint department. I think it was started to address this very idea. What are the standards, what would be grounds for revisions or flat out rejection?

For the record, there was a thread on the horned guy...I remember posting in it.

When I first saw this coin I made the connection right away.. but of course that was with the original icon and name which helped to draw the image for me. I can't say if I would have even noticed the way it is currently?

I'm pretty sure though that had I not seen the icon and original name, that I would have just thought of it as an ugly coin and nothing more.

Of course, I just choose to ignore the coin as I didn't find the design very appealing anyway. It's unfortunate (or fortunate I guess depending on your perspective) that this thread gave the coin a venue to increase sales - regardless of the original intent of the thread. Like moths to a flame....

It was in no way meant to be a complaint thread. It wasn't meant to be a "do you see it" thread either, people seem to get hung up on this because they aren't able to actually address the question at hand... If you feel that GS should allow be anything goes, then state it. If you think they should allow anything that's not illegal in too many states, then state it, if you think that it should all be rated G, then state it, but get off the other tangents and get back to the topic.

Actually, I don't think this thread was meant to be a complaint department. I think it was started to address this very idea. What are the standards, what would be grounds for revsions or flat out rejection?

Ok then are the standards that blood and gore is appropriate and perceived sexuality is not?

I have no idea what the standards are. That's what's being asked - what are they? Who decides what's ok and how do they decide that?

Sheesh. I'm not trying to push my opinion or values on anyone. I'm just hoping to get some information. If this thread ever gets back on topic, it might actually be interesting.

TPTB are the ones to ask what the standards are because here all you can expect are opinions - and those will be as varied as snowflakes. I don't agree with the underlying concept of this coin or the Serial Cacher coin...but they did get approved and for my part..I just don't buy them. If coins like this don't sell, then they won't be made.

I have no idea what the standards are. That's what's being asked - what are they? Who decides what's ok and how do they decide that?

Sheesh. I'm not trying to push my opinion or values on anyone. I'm just hoping to get some information. If this thread ever gets back on topic, it might actually be interesting.

Isn't that the topic? What are the standards? Who sets them and when is this ridiculous?

TPTB are the ones to ask what the standards are because here all you can expect are opinions - and those will be as varied as snowflakes. I don't agree with the underlying concept of this coin or the Serial Cacher coin...but they did get approved and for my part..I just don't buy them. If coins like this don't sell, then they won't be made.

Here here!!!

First let me say that I didn't read every post after the first page and a half so If I repeat I am sorry.

After first looking at this thread I didn't see a thing but a very busy design. I got cleaned up from work, ate dinner and then had another look with my dirty mind turned on and I saw what everyone else saw.

I can say with certainty that I believe that the design itself wasn't intended in a negative manner. If you notice how the words on the side are designed "My first Find", "My first hide" is the part I'm talking, the way they were designed it then eliminates the posibility of the rest of the design being round if you want it to be "Symetrical" so to speak. I can see the thought process of the designer... " want it to say this... and drawn like this...." Then the they wanted something for the center... " What should we use for the center?, oh how 'bout the Geocaching "G"... yeah that works but its round and doesn't look right, well I can add an oval behind it to match the contour of the lettering design and then for filler and detail I will us outlines of images from the front... oh yeah that is nice."

Now as for the name and icon... it was stated that it was intended to get a chuckle from those that got the joke... We all know there is a part considered the "Cherry" and though it started as a sexual context the term "getting your cherry popped" (probably just got my post deleted.) has often been used as slang for anything that someone does for the first time and yes indeed most people will remember their first experience with anything that which is important to them. And yes in my terrible, sick, evil, twisted mind I get a little chuckle out of the name and original icon. Then again, I am a big fan of, and really want one of the "Illeagal Alien" coins.

Now, in relation to GS approval and our children... GS obviously didn't see the "Image" had no problem with the coin nor it's name. Probably didn't have a problem with the icon until they got complaints. I don't have a problem with it in terms of my daughter... she is 9 and I promise you that if I put the coin on the floor, wrote the words "First Time" and a picture of cherries all on a table and asked her if it all meant anything, she would say it's a coin, some words and some fruit, or some form there of.

Lets remember that we live in a society where sex sells, and is plastered all over everything! There is no way to avoid it. So when something like this comes up it is expected that when you put that title and icon on a coin, many will make something out of the image that may never have been intended... and lets not forget that this is America and the 3 items withing themselves have no malice attatched to them unless we put them.

Just my 2 shiny pieces of copper.

I must add that this is John, Mr. CCT talking here.

Edited by Celtic Cache Trio

It was in no way meant to be a complaint thread. It wasn't meant to be a "do you see it" thread either, people seem to get hung up on this because they aren't able to actually address the question at hand... If you feel that GS should allow be anything goes, then state it. If you think they should allow anything that's not illegal in too many states, then state it, if you think that it should all be rated G, then state it, but get off the other tangents and get back to the topic.

OK, I am one who is guilty of looking at this coin only, for this discussion. I apologize.

I think someone would first have to SEE it to find the hidden meaning. I am not involved in the geocoin design approval process, but if I were, that one would have slipped right by me.

When I googled "Rorschach" before, to check my spelling of it, I looked into the link that came up. It showed the original inkblots used for the test.

Plate I:

I saw winged wolves dancing to the Polka.

Plate II:

I saw a couple of geese in tall caps, high five-ing each other, while dancing the Polka.

Plate III:

A couple of skeletons cooking over a cauldron, almost dancing a Polka.

Plate IV:

A stargazing cowboy on a Harley, heading my way of course......

etc... You get my drift? I didn't see any of the things "they" say they might represent, which is all sexual. So, if something is hidden inside the drawing of something else, you would have to be aware of it to see it. Many people in this thread didn't see it until it was brought up. I'm still not sure I see anything that even vaguely resembles the female anatomy. So, now, this coin has already been in production and this comes out. It's too late to close the barn door now. Whoever does the approving would have had to know there was a hidden meaning in the design. If they had known, perhaps changes might have been made. Since it came up after the fact, perhaps the best that could be done, at this late date, was to change the name and the icon.

I use myself as a "prude/not-prude" litmus test for this kind of thing. If it offends me, it will probably offend most sensibly-minded people. This one, until it was pointed out, did not offend me, and after it was pointed out, I still don't feel offended by it, because I don't see it outright. I doubt a child would ever figure it out. And I doubt that maybe 7 out of 10 people will see it either.

<edit for grammar>

Edited by Eartha

Wish I knew the answer so that I could reveal it.

We do cache with our young granddaughters, ages 5 and 8. We also take them to the occasional matinee at the local iMax. We don't think that their world or ours should be overloaded with unsavory images, logos, or slogans.

What do we do about the bumper stickers on the cars in the parking lots? Have any of you encountered the trailer hitches with a bull's testicles? What about those decals and images of cartoon characters taking a leak on some rival brand of truck or on some terrorist enemy?

There should be some standards for what is acceptable on a coin design. Those standards should be clearly and concisely stated where all of us have access to them before we design a coin and submit it for approval.

What about some of the cache names and cacher names that turn up from time to time? Does anyone at Groundspeak have a list of criteria for what might be acceptable or not acceptable as a cache name? Some of the cache names I have seen pop up in my pocket queries are not ones that I would want to print out and hand to my granddaughters.

Be assured that I am not especially narrow-minded. I enjoy much art, a lot of literature, and thoroughly enjoy the Wife of Bath. Still, public displays need to use some common sense. Sometimes I want to stop an adult I see walking past me and ask him/her if he read his shirt before he put it on and went out in public where other people's children would be wondering why the shirt says that.

Let's see the standards clearly stated and followed. For the most part, the Departments of Motor Vehicles in all 50 states seem to have figured it out. They do a pretty good job of screening all those vanity plates. If the DMV can figure it out, Signal should be able to come up with some guidelines, too.

[if it's forbidden why post it? link removed by moderator]

After reading that list, I'm glad someone is keeping some of the plates away from our view.

Edited by Eartha