It's Trackable, but should it be?

Hula Bum

I just don't see anything hidden here...

52d3e254-974d-47fb-acfd-b14d83f72f98.jpg

Thanks for posting an image so that I could see what this thread was about (most images get stripped out by my work nanny software).

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this coin. I don't see how a child would see anything in the coin that would require an uncomfortable explanation. Just don't show the coin to your kid if you are worried about it.

Personally I wasn't interested in buying the coins 'coz it just wasn't interesting but with the scandal mongering I may just decide to buy a few. :blink:

I won't disagree with THAT. Is there any chance that this "Scandal" arose for just that reason??

Now that I've found out who the designer is I won't bite. It's really an overly designed coin that makes it quite unattractive to me. But the idea that the designer who is also a mother and wife put blatant depictions most commonly reserved for Hustler and the like is pretty far fetched.

back OT The designer you used is known for putting hidden images in her designs. She many times has bragged about it saying there is so much more to the design etc etc etc. I think that this is just one more of those.

well, then share! don't just drop that little "bon mot" and don't say who designed it! who designed it? regardless of intent, i am with those that said the coin was just plain ugly. (sorry vendor)

rsg

back OT The designer you used is known for putting hidden images in her designs. She many times has bragged about it saying there is so much more to the design etc etc etc. I think that this is just one more of those.

well, then share! don't just drop that little "bon mot" and don't say who designed it! who designed it? regardless of intent, i am with those that said the coin was just plain ugly. (sorry vendor)

rsg

I´d like to know the other designs, that are supposed to have hidden meanings also...

There are a lot of people in here agreeing on something, and a lot of these people RARELY, if EVER agree, that in itself says something!

i wonder what an anonymous poll would say.

this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot. it is so not worthy of concern when there is SO much major stuff going on in the world.

rsg

spelling edit

Edited by RedShoesGirl

rsg

It states on the vendor site that it was designed by Paula of Cinemaboxers

Shades of Georgia O'Keefe! I just 'saw' it, and then some -- maybe more than what's been said here. I'm ROFL!

I'm not sure that this coin is inappropriate -- personally, it doesn't bother me, although the cherry icon might have been too suggestive for some with the wording on the coin. My question is, if it takes this many adults (myself included) this long to figure out what some may consider inappropriate, do you really think a child (even a teen) will 'get' it?? If a cacher's not looking for it in the first place, without something to push their thoughts that direction (like the discarded cherry icon or this thread), will they actually figure it out? It seems unlikely to me. Maybe a word from the designer might be in order to speak to the controversy.

There are other things in this world much worse than this coin or the things it's been suggested it portrays.

Edited by FluteFace

My question is, if it takes this many adults (myself included) this long to figure out what some may consider inappropriate, do you really think a child (even a teen) will 'get' it?

Just to play devils advocate here...Is this what we want to base approval here on? Whether or not someone is clever enough to put something on a coin in a way that kids can't tell? Just asking.

I'm really not worried about children here, my issue is that Groundspeak approved it and what is next? I have long felt that Vodka bottles and swiss army knives were not apporpriate coins to be trackable either being that they are not allowed in a cache because they're not "family" friendly. This is just one more step towards "anything goes" as long as we get our fees.

My next coin (and I can copy the artwork of the GPS and hand on the back of this coin)-Stroke the GPS right and it will point you right to the Cache......

My next coin (and I can copy the artwork of the GPS and hand on the back of this coin)-Stroke the GPS right and it will point you right to the Cache......

Might I suggest a well ripened banana for the icon, only because it matches the Yellow Etrex of course.

Edited by pghlooking

Three thoughts:

- Regardless of what you can or cannot see in the back image, for the maker of the coin to suggest there is no sexual innuendo here is a bit difficult to believe. Between, the text, the proposed icon and the picture . . . at least be up front about it.

- So Groundspeak approved it and it is going to get made. Does that make it right? Will it develop into a new game of . . . let's see how much we can get away with, which is really a game of let's see how un family friendly we can make this game and still get away with it.

- Not a single post has said "oh cool design" so my question to those of you who have bought or are going to purchase it, is why would you purchase it if not because of the sexual connotation.

For me it is just not a coin I would be proud to have in my collection.

- Regardless of what you can or cannot see in the back image, for the maker of the coin to suggest there is no sexual innuendo here is a bit difficult to believe. Between, the text, the proposed icon and the picture . . . at least be up front about it.

I was, read my comments! I said yes the name and icon were a little but NEVER the coin design.

Edited by Team Jsam

Just don't show the coin to your kid if you are worried about it.

For a family-friendly sport, this issue should never come up. You shouldn't have to hide something from your kid while caching IMO.

it is so not worthy of concern when there is SO much major stuff going on in the world.

There are other things in this world much worse than this coin or the things it's been suggested it portrays.

While I don't disagree with either of these posts, that argument could be used against any thread on this board couldn't it? :( Really, coins as a whole don't register in terms of "what's important", but it's what we choose to discuss.

If Groundspeak found it to be offensive they would not have approved it.

So much for the last post on this one, huh?

Really, if you didn't know about this why are you so adamently defending it. Me thinks thou protest too much...

In reality, though this thread isn't about YOU - it's about the concern for Groundspeak relaxing what is considered family friendly. So we went from alcohol bottles, to knives, to guns and now this. What's next? Everything is a series of small steps before you take a look at where you started and where you are now. This is a big leap from "nothing non-family friendly".

To say that there is nothing there, or that's it's coincidental is just silly - bordering on offensive at calling everybody stupid by claiming as much.

Am I offended? No. It takes a lot to offend me :blink: .

Do I think it's appropriate for this site/game/caches? No.

My question is, if it takes this many adults (myself included) this long to figure out what some may consider inappropriate, do you really think a child (even a teen) will 'get' it?

Just to play devils advocate here...Is this what we want to base approval here on? Whether or not someone is clever enough to put something on a coin in a way that kids can't tell? Just asking.

Well, it is an interesting thought. :blink: But, no-- probably not a good way to go. In this case, how many adults in this thread needed somebody to point the way towards the symbolism that is there, intentional or not -- it certainly wasn't obvious. It's seems unreasonable to expect a coin reviewer (or whomever does that) to inspect each and every trackable coin design for every little thing that might be construed by some person as having some sexual connection. Where does the line get drawn? Should the Space Needle not be allowed on a trackable geocoin because it's too phallic? What about those logs, the tree or the GPS used on the coin in question?

I think reasonable-ness needs to be the key here . . . what would a reasonable person percieve?

I was, read my comments! I said yes the name and icon were a little but NEVER the coin design.

Hmm . . . Not sure you can seperate them.

A few other things I've noticed in this thread:

1) Lots of folks that never agree, do on this one

2) I agree with World's Worst Cacher - therefore the world IS ending, pigs will fly, and we are right :blink:

3) Many people are starting to become more honest IMO (the statements of "this coin is ugly") is actually refreshing to see. Not to be negative, just for the sake of it - but it's honest feedback for future designs and designers.

I now return you to:

"Yes, it's there"

"No it, isn't"

A few other things I've noticed in this thread:

1) Lots of folks that never agree, do on this one

2) I agree with World's Worst Cacher - therefore the world IS ending, pigs will fly, and we are right :(

3) Many people are starting to become more honest IMO (the statements of "this coin is ugly") is actually refreshing to see. Not to be negative, just for the sake of it - but it's honest feedback for future designs and designers.

I now return you to:

"Yes, it's there"

"No it, isn't"

You are right . . . this is too scary and maybe even the second time it happened in recent history :(:blink:

Well, it is an interesting thought. :blink: But, no-- probably not a good way to go. In this case, how many adults in this thread needed somebody to point the way towards the symbolism that is there, intentional or not -- it certainly wasn't obvious. It's seems unreasonable to expect a coin reviewer (or whomever does that) to inspect each and every trackable coin design for every little thing that might be construed by some person as having some sexual connection. Where does the line get drawn? Should the Space Needle not be allowed on a trackable geocoin because it's too phallic? What about those logs, the tree or the GPS used on the coin in question?

I think reasonable-ness needs to be the key here . . . what would a reasonable person percieve?

I see your point and take it. I showed my wife the image and she didn't see anything. That being said, it doesn't change what I see anymore than I am going to try to convinvce her or something I see. It's perception. I mean obviously someone went through some efforts to skirt the line as much as possible.

I didn't expect GC to catch this because honestly, I wouldn't have figured someone would feel the need to try to push it through. I guess it's just another thing they are going to have to start clapming down on ALL coin designs. Another case of one bad apple...

For a family-friendly sport, this issue should never come up. You shouldn't have to hide something from your kid while caching IMO.

This sport/hobby is supposed to "family friendly", but it is not supposed to be a children's sport/hobby. Children are not expected to be out geocaching unaccompanied. The adults should be opening the caches and looking through them before the kids get their hands on them (for a variety of reasons). If the adult sees something he/she considers offensive (like, for example, a religious image), then the adult should not show it to his/her children. That is my opinion.

Edited by UncleJimbo

Since we are all being honest here can anyone honestly say that had the coin had its current name and icon would you still think anything sexual about the coin.

Probably not, because the design is so ugly, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It was only on the second thought that I saw it.

I didn't expect GC to catch this because honestly, I wouldn't have figured someone would feel the need to try to push it through. I guess it's just another thing they are going to have to start clapming down on ALL coin designs. Another case of one bad apple...

Bad apple? Really wow! I wasn't trying to "sneak" anything through, when GS asked me a few questions about the coin I answered them 100% honestly I am not a fool I would never attempt to "sneak" something past GS how would that be good for my business? I thought the coin would be funny and people would get a laugh, some did some did not.

Edited by Team Jsam

This sport/hobby is supposed to "family friendly", but it is not supposed to be a children's sport/hobby. Children are not expected to be out geocaching unaccompanied. The adults should be opening the caches and looking through them before the kids get their hands on them (for a variety of reasons). If the adult sees something he/she considers offensive (like, for example, a religious image), then the adult should not show it to his/her children. That is my opinion.

Well said :blink:

Yes, because I didn't know about the icon and name until AFTER I saw the design. Perhaps if it wasn't written on the coin it would have taken more time. The name and icon were just icing on the cake.

Since we are all being honest here can anyone honestly say that had the coin had its current name and icon would you still think anything sexual about the coin.

My two cents:

Speculation: The coin was intended tounge in cheek with the 'cherry' icon and the name.

However, the guy did change the name and the icon.

I think if you don't associate the name and icon with the coin you won't see a vagina.

Would this mean coins like the "Screw" and "Nut" were also not family friendly? I think there was some innuendo there when they were originally advertised as something like "Want to screw around again?"

They changed thier slogan and everything was fine.

I think this is a non-issue and free advertising for the coin.

I don't disagree at all.

My point is that Groundspeak promotes this as a family-friendly game. If that's the case, then they should never have approved this design to be included in their game. That's all.

My two cents:

Speculation: The coin was intended tounge in cheek with the 'cherry' icon and the name.

I think if you don't associate the name and icon with the coin you won't see a vagina.

Would this mean coins like the "Screw" and "Nut" were also not family friendly? I think there was some innuendo there when they were originally advertised as something like "Want to screw around again?"

They changed thier slogan and everything was fine.

I think this is a non-issue and free advertising for the coin.

I showed this to my 22 year old son, without telling him the name or asking him if he "saw" anything in it. He turned beet red, then started giggling like he was 12 and somebody said "booby." Actually, he still does that! LOL

My two cents:

Groundspeak was the one that asked for the name and icon change otherwise it would still stand as it was in the beginning.

I think it's a fun coin - innuendos or not. They are only there if you want them to be - very much like cartoons these days aimed for 2 levels of viewing. Children who take it innocently at face value, and adults who can add in any innuendo they want to.

LE set ordered

Sue

I think it's a fun coin - innuendos or not. They are only there if you want them to be - very much like cartoons these days aimed for 2 levels of viewing. Children who take it innocently at face value, and adults who can add in any innuendo they want to.

LE set ordered

Sue

:D:blink::(

I really hate to admit it but I just ordered an LE set also....sshhh, don't tell anyone! As long as I am being brutally honest, I gotta say...I thought the original name and the little cherry icon were cute to! :D I honestly don't see anything suggestive in the picture and wish they had kept the cherry icon, and.... :( sshhh....I'm a woman!

Yes, because I didn't know about the icon and name until AFTER I saw the design. Perhaps if it wasn't written on the coin it would have taken more time. The name and icon were just icing on the cake.

If what was written on the coin, all talks about is your first time caching??

My two cents:

Groundspeak was the one that asked for the name and icon change otherwise it would still stand as it was in the beginning.

Yes that's true but until I was contacted by GS I had not received one single complaint about the coin I had actually gotten a few compliments in the comments section of some orders. I still have yet to receive one email complaining about the coin.

So up until GS got a hold of me I had no idea that anyone was offended by the coin.

I didn't expect GC to catch this because honestly, I wouldn't have figured someone would feel the need to try to push it through. I guess it's just another thing they are going to have to start clamping down on ALL coin designs. Another case of one bad apple...

Bad apple? Really wow! I wasn't trying to "sneak" anything through, when GS asked me a few questions about the coin I answered them 100% honestly I am not a fool I would never attempt to "sneak" something past GS how would that be good for my business? I thought the coin would be funny and people would get a laugh, some did some did not.

Actually the bad apple reference wasn't directed at you but rather the artist who based on your words, must have taken it upon themselves to push the envelope with your design and see what they could get past GC. Seems now you are sadly caught in the middle.

ABSOLUTELY! i was so irritated that utility knives were considered UNfamily friendly. some of my best swag has been pocket knives. saved my "tookus" more than once. family friendly means parents watching kids and what they take.

besides, kids are a lot more sophisticated than they let parents know these days.

and frankly, i am tired of the phrase "family-friendly" - not everyone one has or even wants kids - or kids along with them when they cache. the whole world does not have to be geared towards kids and i am including my newspaper in that category.

how about a selection of caches that are "adult friendly" which includes pocket knives, leatherman tools, etc. i am so very tired of toys, no matter how nice they are.

if the coin is deemed to be offensive, don't take your kids hunting for it, or buy it because you think it may have trading value down the road.

as for the back of the design, looks too much like the nav-eggation coin, but worse.

rsg

wish i could spell or type.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Please, keep this on topic, My avatar is of a culture you know nothing about and is not at topic here...

Your avitar relates to a culture with a very strong tradition of playing the field before marriage. It seems that you and Kelia identify with the culture (not sure about the one aspect of it). Fair enough. Why would you be offended by the inuendo in a coin that a kid woudln't get when the culture you portray...

Fill in the blanks, and no I'm not talking the nudity. We were all born naked. Modesty is a learned trait.

Edited by Renegade Knight

My two cents:

Yes that's true but until I was contacted by GS I had not received one single complaint about the coin I had actually gotten a few compliments in the comments section of some orders. I still have yet to receive one email complaining about the coin.

So up until GS got a hold of me I had no idea that anyone was offended by the coin.

Apparently GC is getting a bunch of them to actually come to you and make you change the icon and name of the coin. I doubt they would do that over just a few complaints.

I would bet there are way more people making complaints than are posting here, and would even bet the ones discussing it aren't even the ones writing GC. Seems to happen that way.

Please, keep this on topic, My avatar is of a culture you know nothing about and is not at topic here...

Your avitar relates to a culture with a very strong tradition of playing the field before marriage. It seems that you and Kelia identify with the culture (not sure about the one aspect of it). Fair enough. Why would you be offended by the inuendo in a coin that a kid woudln't get when the culture you portray...

Fill in the blanks, and no I'm not talking the nudity. We were all born naked. Modesty is a learned trait.

Huh? First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about, second of all you have no idea what you're talking about. And third of all, it has nothing to do with this coin or the issue at hand, which for me as I have already stated is about GS approving the design and where it heads from here.