Users Profile - country

olandstoken

I miss info about the country in the profile of a user.

There is a field Location where you CAN type the country or city etc. BUT most people are lazy or don't know they should fill in that field. It's often empty.

It's really interresting to know where the visitors of my caches come from, since the area I have my caches is frequently visited by foreign tourists.

The country is mandatory to fill in when you create an account, so why not print out the country on the profile?

I don't mind the site requiring the information when I register, but I prefer the choice to display that information to the public or not.

It's the same reason that my home coordinates are in my neighborhood, but not at my physical address.

I don't mind the site requiring the information when I register, but I prefer the choice to display that information to the public or not.

It's the same reason that my home coordinates are in my neighborhood, but not at my physical address.

I agree about address and home coordinates. But Country!? If it says your coming from USA, France or Germany no one can say it violates with privacy.

I think I would tend to agree about country ... city might be pushing it. Country is pretty easy to discern by simply looking at the user's found caches ... while we all go on vacation and occasionally cache out of our usual area, the majority of anyone's finds I would surmise to be near their "home".

I agree about address and home coordinates. But Country!? If it says your coming from USA, France or Germany no one can say it violates with privacy.

I miss info about the country in the profile of a user.

There is a field Location where you CAN type the country or city etc. BUT most people are lazy or don't know they should fill in that field. It's often empty.

It's really interresting to know where the visitors of my caches come from, since the area I have my caches is frequently visited by foreign tourists.

The country is mandatory to fill in when you create an account, so why not print out the country on the profile?

People have the option of putting pretty much whatever they want in their profile. If they choose to not reveal information about where they live, that's their choice. You want to take that choice away, simply because you're curious. That's not a good enough reason.

I think I would tend to agree about country ... city might be pushing it. Country is pretty easy to discern by simply looking at the user's found caches ... while we all go on vacation and occasionally cache out of our usual area, the majority of anyone's finds I would surmise to be near their "home".

Requiring 'country' in the profile seems a bit invasive. Guess that comes from living in a big country. I list 'Northwest New Jersey'. That's all the information that I volunteer.

If I want to know where a cacher who has found one of my caches lives, I check 'caches owned'. If none owned, then I look at 'caches found'. Okay. So. I'm nosy! I have one with finders from the US, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, and the Czech Republic. I'm impressed!

I agree with you, and I wish that it would be displayed for all users. Since we can figure it out by looking at a user's finds/hides/etc., there is no point in not displaying it. I would even go so far as to ask for the State or Province to be displayed as well.

Requiring 'country' in the profile seems a bit invasive. Guess that comes from living in a big country. I list 'Northwest New Jersey'. That's all the information that I volunteer.

If I want to know where a cacher who has found one of my caches lives, I check 'caches owned'. If none owned, then I look at 'caches found'. Okay. So. I'm nosy! I have one with finders from the US, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, and the Czech Republic. I'm impressed!

This got me to thinking, someone would have a heck of a time figuring out where I'm from from my last 30 finds. But looking at someone's hides is the best way. I'm kind of a privacy freak, but it is true, the Country is a no brainer, and not very invasive of privacy. But requiring it to be displayed? I just don't think that will ever happen.