NEW CACHE TEXT MESSAGES FROM GEOCACHING.COM

cvtbeckie

I have a proposal, seems to be agreed on by other cachers I've spoken to. When I suggested it to Groundspeak, they told me to post it here. I guess maybe they want to see if it's something enough other cachers would appreciate before they consider it.

My idea is this - the text messages geocaching.com sends announcing new caches (if you sign up for them) DO NOT contain the actual coordinates of the cache. I would like to see that change. I always have my GPS with me and a number of times I would have gone after an FTF but didn't have any means of finding out the coords. Sure would be helpful if they were in the message sent to my phone.

What do you all think?

I have a proposal, seems to be agreed on by other cachers I've spoken to. When I suggested it to Groundspeak, they told me to post it here. I guess maybe they want to see if it's something enough other cachers would appreciate before they consider it.

My idea is this - the text messages geocaching.com sends announcing new caches (if you sign up for them) DO NOT contain the actual coordinates of the cache. I would like to see that change. I always have my GPS with me and a number of times I would have gone after an FTF but didn't have any means of finding out the coords. Sure would be helpful if they were in the message sent to my phone.

What do you all think?

What do you all think?

I think it's a great idea that's been asked for before but they said no because they want you to visit the web site. If I had the motivation I'd try to Markwell... but I don't.

The notification is not intended as a substitute for the cache page, but rather as an alert for you to go to the cache page and read the details there, including the coordinates. If you are out and about when notified, hopefully you can check the WAP site or some other mobile tool to read the cache page.

Late last night I returned from a day of geocaching, and started reviewing the caches which others had hidden over the weekend. Some of the caches I published were in cemeteries, others were in parks that close at dusk. I would hate to think that people might be rushing out to the coordinates of these new caches without seeing the cache owners' warnings that say "no night caching."

Edited by Keystone

I think it's a great idea that's been asked for before but they said no because they want you to visit the web site. If I had the motivation I'd try to Markwell... but I don't.

Wow, I dont understand that. Don't see how it would reduce the need for the site - at the very least you have to log your finds. I know I would still primarily use the site because I have far more than just new caches to find! What's Markwell?

They want you to visit the site to get the latest and greatest information. Cache publications are sometimes withdrawn soon after the publish. Owners will sometimes alter the information shortly after publish. You need to read the cache description to get vital information not in the email like hours, restrictions, size etc... Plus they have a financial interest in getting you to visit the site and browse pages.

That's done on purpose, and I think it's a good idea. There's often information on the cache page that you need to know, such as please don't search after 9pm, or you may get shot at. You know, trivial stuff like that.

Also, caches are sometimes published in error, and the reviewer has to retract them. But that doesn't stop the notification from going out. A lot of people don't know that if you have Publish logs set for immediate notification, you should always do the same for Retract logs. So making you look at the cache page can save you from a wild goose chase.

What do you all think?

Please don't spam the site by posting the same message to multiple forums.

Sorry - didn't mean to do anything against protocol... didn't know which to put it in, seemed to fit into both categories so I figured it wouldn't hurt to go for both. Honest mistake, I promise. Would delete this one if I could just figure out how...

Edited by cvtbeckie

From Markwell's site ...

Markwell – Used in the forums only. To “Markwell” is to respond to a message with a link to another thread where the posted question has already been answered. Named after the geocacher Markwell.

---------

Anyhow, I would like the coordinates as well, but as was mentioned, previously threads would seem to indicate that's not going to happen. I use a Blackberry nowadays, so I just send the email to my handheld and pull up the entire page, so it's not a major issue for me. However, I can understand why people who have just a regular cell phone relying on an SMS would want the coordinates.

-jk

What do you all think?

What do you all think?

I would vote against having the coordinates in the notification emails. A new cache such as most of Vinnie and Sue Teams PUC caches for example require some reading before actually hitting the coordinates.

IF coordinates were to be listed a terrain/difficulty indication needs to be included as well, to prevent a cacher going directly to a location without reading the cache page, just to find that the cache is on top of a 200 foot tall pylon out in the middle of a river…

I understand why people ask for that, but it wouldn't do me any good. I don't know the coordinates of the state well enough and wouldn't know if N41 22.333 W72 44.555 is near where I am or not.

I much prefer to see the coordinates on a on a map because I can get a visual of where it's located.

If you're suggesting the idea to help with FTFs, you can go to the geocaching WAP site (http://wap.geocaching.com) to view the cache page or, if your phone supports it, go directly to the full cache page on an internet enabled phone.

If you send the notification as an MMS message rather than an SMS, the links are "live" and can be selected, and you will be taken right to the cache page description...if your phone supports internet.

Edited by Skippermark

Most cell carriers have a provision where you can send a message to an email address and it goes to your phone. What carrier do you have?

It's usually something like 8887776666@txt.phonecarrier.net or something like that.

In the notification screen, you just enter that as your email address.

Edit to say that the number I chose would be substituted for your phone number. But, you should check with your carrier to see exactly what the proper format it.

Edited by Skippermark

That's done on purpose, and I think it's a good idea. There's often information on the cache page that you need to know, such as please don't search after 9pm, or you may get shot at. You know, trivial stuff like that.

Also, caches are sometimes published in error, and the reviewer has to retract them. But that doesn't stop the notification from going out. A lot of people don't know that if you have Publish logs set for immediate notification, you should always do the same for Retract logs. So making you look at the cache page can save you from a wild goose chase.

Excellent points, and I agree 110%. And, this is why the admins at Groundspeak asked the OP to post their question here on the forums, so that they could be enabled to have one of them there edjucassional ezperriances (sic).

What do you all think?

My text messages are limited to 160 characters. I'm not sure you could get enough info in that amount of space to evaluate the cache prior to going for a find.

I'm all for text messages without the coords. Heck all they have to do is send the waypoint. Recently I had Gmail text me if a new post came in but it sends five text messages for each so I turned it off. Was a great idea just too much content. So a Groundspeak text would be welcomed.

Maybe this is a silly question, but how do you get the notifications sent to your phone as a text message? I looked and all I could find was how to get the emails, there is no place to enter your phone number to have a text message sent.

See Skippermarks' comment below... in order to find out the "email address" for my phone I sent a text message from my phone to my home email address. The sender address was what I needed and it's my cell number including area code@txt.att.net.

This topic has come up before (See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...8&t=169361). The coordinates discussion starts at Post #4.

Yes, there is enough space to accomodate the information you seek in the text message. But not enough to include the description as well. Groundspeak has decided that cachers need to visit the actual page to get the coordinates (requires PC or web-enabled phone) so they will see the description as well. Or they have to visit the wap.geocaching.com site (requires a phone that can access the wap site). The WAP site will give you the coordinates and the description.

However, not all phones are WAP capable - mine is not as I get a "64-bit error". So, I'm stuck.

The 160 character limit applies to text messages, not SMS messages (can't remember what that is at the moment)

Edit: For verizon customers, you can have a MMS message sent to your phone (1000 character limit) by having it sent to yourphonenumber@vzwpix.com. This is a Picture message rather than a Text message.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Coordinates posted in my text messages would suit me just fine. Ftfs are fun for me and our group, so if we were already out and a message came in, then trying for one, even with limited information, would be worth taking a chance on.. Of course, we aren't the types who destroy an area looking for a cache, so we would stop our search and go get more info if we didn't find the cache fairly quickly!

What do you all think?

The notification is not intended as a substitute for the cache page, but rather as an alert for you to go to the cache page and read the details there, including the coordinates. If you are out and about when notified, hopefully you can check the WAP site or some other mobile tool to read the cache page.

Late last night I returned from a day of geocaching, and started reviewing the caches which others had hidden over the weekend. Some of the caches I published were in cemeteries, others were in parks that close at dusk. I would hate to think that people might be rushing out to the coordinates of these new caches without seeing the cache owners' warnings that say "no night caching."

What do you all think?

or by posting the same reply in multiple forum threads. Why must people accuse someone of "Spamming" when there are other possible reasons that they posted in more than one place...Like for example, maybe they started the thread in one place and then realized it should be elsewhere? Must we immediatly go into attack mode and accuse them of spamming? Do we make the same accusations when there is an accidental double post in a thread? I don't see the moderator's post above you making a big deal of it, and isn't it their job to monitor things like that? Please leave them to their jobs, and keep your post ON TOPIC, (the topic NOT being "Forum ettiquite", I'm sure there's a place to discuss that).

For the ON TOPIC portion of my post...

That seems useful to me, and searching with only the coordinates could be no more harmful than those who only download bulk coordinates into the GPS and don't read all those warnings anyway. I think it's a good idea. One thing it could do is serve as a free replacement for a PQ, and prevent some players from upgrading their membership though, not good for Groundspeak??

Excellent points, and I agree 110%. And, this is why the admins at Groundspeak asked the OP to post their question here on the forums, so that they could be enabled to have one of them there edjucassional ezperriances (sic).

I was just starting to wonder if TPTB directed them here to get some honest feedback, or just to get roasted be all the forum experts who will pick on their forum skills and direct them to a dozen other places to read about similar ideas from the past?

"We can't be bothered to answer such questions so go ask the people under the bridge, and if you survive, then you can ask us again"

With the advent of PocketPC and Windows Mobile phones that include fully-functional GPS it likely won't be long till the days of a dedicated hand-held GPS are over.

I can cache with my WM6 Samsung Blackjack II almost as well as with my Garmin 60 CSx, so maybe you should consider moving in that direction.

I get the Instant Notification on my phone, if I am interested it has a web browser that will take me right to the online cache listing for details, if I am still interested I can download the listing right into CacheMate.

The newest iPhone (rats, it came out 2 weeks after I bought the Blackjack II !) looks like a great GPS/PDA/Phone/PC/Web combination.

With the advent of PocketPC and Windows Mobile phones that include fully-functional GPS it likely won't be long till the days of a dedicated hand-held GPS are over.

I can cache with my WM6 Samsung Blackjack II almost as well as with my Garmin 60 CSx, so maybe you should consider moving in that direction.

I get the Instant Notification on my phone, if I am interested it has a web browser that will take me right to the online cache listing for details, if I am still interested I can download the listing right into CacheMate.

The newest iPhone (rats, it came out 2 weeks after I bought the Blackjack II !) looks like a great GPS/PDA/Phone/PC/Web combination.

The only problem with this is that hand held GPS receivers are generally "rugged" and most cell phones are not. I left my good old Magellan on the hood of my car the other day and dropped it on a paved parking lot, and it worked fine afterwards. I'd hate to imagine what would happen to a iPhone in that situation. Or dropped while crossing a creek, or in a pouring rain.

Back to the OP, I petitioned a while back for including the hider's name and difficulty/terrain rating in the instant notification email. If a cacher known to be a prolific LPC hider publishes a string of 1/1 caches in the same day, I'd just delete the notifications instead of bothering to go to the cache pages. It was ultimately shot down by naysayers for a variety of odd reasons, but ultimately they were right because TPTB would never create a new feature that REDUCED web site traffic and eyes on their ads.

As for your specific request, I agree with you in that it might help FTF hounds on the hunt, but it would ultimately lead to problems.

How much harder would it to text the coords and difficulty level. Couldn't the web admin folks ad a block to fill in when reporting a cache for important info send in text message? Not everyone can afford the extra cost of internet service on there phones.

Perhaps the threads could be merged??

I have done that. Thanks for the suggestion.

One thing it could do is serve as a free replacement for a PQ, and prevent some players from upgrading their membership though, not good for Groundspeak??

Instant notifications are no more free than PQ's... :huh:

I thought it was the weekly update in question, I could be wrong.

We are not talking about the weekly e-mailer. We are talking about the insta-notify messages that get sent out each time a cache is published. This is a premium member feature.

Write a program.

Have your notification emails forwarded to your own server.

Have your program wait for new email

Have your program log in as you and get the coordinates. This is not scraping so it's not agains the rules.

Have your program send your phone an SMS message with the cache name, coordinates, gc name, type, difficulty/terrain, owner name, hint... As much as an SMS message can handle.

There is a reason that the notification emails do not give you coordinates. Groundspeak wants to be fair to all geocachers and not make it easy for FTF & swag grabber hounds.

Write a program.

Have your notification emails forwarded to your own server.

Have your program wait for new email

Have your program log in as you and get the coordinates. This is not scraping so it's not agains the rules.

Have your program send your phone an SMS message with the cache name, coordinates, gc name, type, difficulty/terrain, owner name, hint... As much as an SMS message can handle.

There is a reason that the notification emails do not give you coordinates. Groundspeak wants to be fair to all geocachers and not make it easy for FTF & swag grabber hounds.

People who are techie enough to do that most likely already have a web-enabled phone.

(and that would be considered screen-scraping)

What do you all think?

I am responding to this without reading the other posts since you asked WHAT I THINK, so if this is redundant, oh well.

FTF, STF 32tf are all the same thing, you found it.

I do not want to see the coords included. As a cache owner, I have many caches that will cause you much grief without reading the description. As a cache finder, often I have looked for a cache that, had I not had the description available to me, would have been on the wrong side of a trespassing charge.

If it is that important to someone, most phones now have data plans or one could use a wireless laptop and find a hot spot.

Just thought I would give just one example of why including the coords is not a good idea.

This cache was just published and I got the Instant Notification. If the coords were included, people would be rushing off to look for a cache that hasn't been placed yet . . . Whooops!