Questions about unlock codes.

Cach-U-Nuts

I notice there is a place to input an Unlock Code on the Wherigo web site. I have been searching the documentation for information about creating and using the unlock code in a cartridge. How do we get the unlock code for our cartridge and how do we present it to our players? Do we include it in a message screen at the end of the game?

Do a search in the forum for the word "unlock". I did that and got two good threads:

How does builder find the unlock code for his/her own cartridge?

Coding for Unlock Code

The unlock code is generated when creating the cartridge for download and it is also user specific. To show the completion code to the user just put this in a messagebox (including the square brackets):

[[You survived, your completioncode is :]] .. Player.CompletionCode

I've only just created our first Wherigo adventure but I did so using the builder. I therefore don't know where to enter the code as per the above to determine the completion code.

I've since learned that .lua files can be edited with notepad but I have no idea where to enter the code:

Player.CompletionCode

I'd be very grateful for some assistance in this regards.

Cheers,

You'd display the completion code in a function showing a Message Box. Make sure to put it in the Author Functions section so the emulator won't overwrite it.

If you want to do it the easy way, write your cartridge as normal, including a Message Box to congratulate the user s/he completed the cartridge. Save the cartridge and open it in notepad. Find the function with that message and move the function to the Author Functions section and make your edit.

Do a search in the forum for the word "unlock". I did that and got two good threads:

How does builder find the unlock code for his/her own cartridge?

Coding for Unlock Code

The unlock code is generated when creating the cartridge for download and it is also user specific. To show the completion code to the user just put this in a messagebox (including the square brackets):

[[You survived, your completioncode is :]] .. Player.CompletionCode

Is that done in the builder?

Not that I know of. At a glance, I don't see anything like that.

You don't have to have a completion code, you know. You can use the Builder to mark a cartridge as complete. The player (user) can then upload his/her save file to the site to unlock the cartridge. Having an unlock code in addition to this is, in my opinion, redundant (but handier than uploading a save file).