60 Csx dumping firmware twice in 2 weeks

My 60 Csx Has dumped its firmware twice in two weeks. Does anybody know if these units have an internal battery to hold the firmware memory? My next move is to call Garmin.

They don't have an internal battery. I'm thinking that if it lost it's firmware you wouldn't be able to load a new version. Perhaps you should call Garmin.

Jim

My 60 Csx Has dumped its firmware twice in two weeks. Does anybody know if these units have an internal battery to hold the firmware memory? My next move is to call Garmin.

Some people have reported problems like this if they push buttons while the 60CSx is acquiring (the power button, mostly, and one person pushed the "Find"). This may be a bug introduced in one of the more recent firmware updates. To be safe, I try not to do anything until the unit is tracking (well, this morning I violated that, but luckily nothing bad happened :blink: )

Are you talking about the issue when your unit shows GPS SW Version 0.00?

The unit says GPS SW version 0.00. The unit loses the firmware which is 3.00. Dumping software doesn't always mean downloading. I have had this unit and one other for about 3 yrs and haven't had any problems until now. I have spent 45 minutes on the phone waiting for tech support before I was disconnected. I will try again tomorrow.

Below is what Garmin sent a friend of mine that had the GPS SW version 0.00 issue with her brand new 60CSX. It fixed her GPS

Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

I would be happy to help you with this.

If you already have the Web Updater program on your computer, then skip down to step 11. If not, then to download Web Updater to your computer, please follow these steps:

Please go to the Web Updater webpage by clicking on the following link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-27.

You will see a number of links labeled Download. Click on the Download that pertains to your computer program.

At the bottom of the screen, please click on “I agree to the above terms and want to proceed to the download page. “

Click on Download.

You will be asked if you want to Run or Save the file, please click Run.

After the file downloads, you may receive a security warning; if you do, please click Run.

Please select your setup language and click Next (the following instructions are based on the English selection).

You will see a new window; please click Next.

A license agreement will appear; please agree to the terms and then click Next.

You will see the destination folder, please click Next.

Click Install; the Web Updater installation will begin.

After the installation, please ensure that there is a check mark next to Yes, I want to launch Web Updater now and then click Finish.

The Web Updater program will launch - again, please ensure that your unit is connected to the computer and turned on.

Click Next; you should then see your device listed (if you do not, then please click on Find Device). Once your device is listed, please click Next.

A new window will appear with information about the update for your unit, please click Next. If the latest update is on your device, then choose to look for additional updates and skip to step 17.

A new license agreement will appear, please click that you agree and then click Next.

The unit's internal operating system/software (sometimes called "firmware") will then be updated.

Once the download is complete, there may be additional software to be downloaded.

Follow the onscreen instruction to download the additional software. Be sure to put a check mark by each additional update.

Once you have completed the download, then you may now disconnect the unit; it is ready to use.

If you need additional assistance, please reply to this email or you can call 800-800-1020 anytime from 8:00 to 7:00 Central, M-F.

Whatever you want to call it, some 60csx units unexpectedly reset to GPS software version 0.00 and stop acquiring satellites. The fix is widely known (re-apply the firmware), but it will eventually go back to 0.00, probably when you most need the GPS, as per Murphy's law.

I've fixed and re-fixed this problem in my 60csx already a few times, and today it has gone to 0.00 again, when I was outdoors, needing the GPS and with no PC to reload the firmware.

I'd really would love to know about a definitive fix...

Anyone? News?

Regards,

Roberto

Whatever you want to call it, some 60csx units unexpectedly reset to GPS software version 0.00 and stop acquiring satellites. The fix is widely known (re-apply the firmware), but it will eventually go back to 0.00, probably when you most need the GPS, as per Murphy's law.

I've fixed and re-fixed this problem in my 60csx already a few times, and today it has gone to 0.00 again, when I was outdoors, needing the GPS and with no PC to reload the firmware.

I'd really would love to know about a definitive fix...

Anyone? News?

Regards,

Roberto

Definite fix is contacting garmin and have the unit RMA'd