Family Cachers

cincol

This is more of a fun type of topic than anything else. I was wondering how many different members of a particular family are cachers out there. I know that Die Peinaars and Red Globe are family. :unsure: I summise that iNokia, iPajero and iHilux [?] are also family. :ph34r: Not sure where amasoeksoek and ravenmeistre fit in though? :ph34r:

In our family we have a number of cachers - littleclan, cincol, cslyoda, Carbon Hunter, Strider_SA and Arwen_SA. That is 6 different cachers in 3 provinces and 1 overseas location - soon to be 2 overseas. Any family out there that has more? There has got to be. :ph34r:

iPajero is the father, with iNokia and iHilux the sons. I know iHilux for a few years now through 4x4ing websites and have met before at 4x4 events.

No relation between Amasoeksoek and Ravenmeistre.....we just all stay in PE and try to beat each other to the FTF's around here :unsure:

Amasoeksoek and Karldup are brothers AFAIK.

Husband from Ravenmeistre and wife from Basson-Meistre are brother and sister.

Ravenmeistre I've known since before caching and they got me into it. They stay in the same neighbourhood as I on the edge of PE.

From my family.....I think my brother in law has registered, but I he hasn't cached yet....will get him into it when I visit Bloem again.

amaSoekSoek consist of:

Myself, MamaSoekSoek + 2 x Junior soekers (5,7 years).

Allthough it is mostly myself doing the soeking. Normally I have to drag the others allong (forcefully) ;-)

We started caching last year while working on a project in East Londen,

then moved back to PE beginning this year. Now I am giving the "locals" a run for their money/cache. :blink:

Then I introduced Karldup - which is my "ouboet", with one of their older kids (primary school) as Chessmate.

Edited by amaSoekSoek

In our family there are quite a few members :D - Tricky Vicky (famous for doing the Infantry work); Mickey (in charge of the admin); Tom & Jerry - our elder daughter and her husband who live in Scotland; General Rick - our son who is now resident in Cape Town; TinyTigger - our younger daughter who is a student at Stellenbosch University.

Ducky and Mucky (brother & sister-in-law) started caching in Namibia and are now here in SA.

:D Then, of course, there are all the great friends we have managed to infect too .................!

We the DamhuisClan, started caching as a family, and my brother in law and family started tagging along on quite a few caches. I suggested they start their own team, and thus The Gold Diggers team was born.

At some point my second eldest son Alex decided he wanted his own team name, and so "Ding bat" was born.

As Cincol said in the beginning of this thread RedGlobe and DiePienaars are related (identical twins) where DiePienaars are the older brother by 5min. :D Team Wildbirds are my wife brother and we are caching together on a regular time, keeping it also in the family. :D

This is the best family sport you will find. :D:D

Mmmm now go out there and try our Twin caches Pretoria and Durban and think like a twin!!! :D

Family Cachers, How many family members are cachers?

Lots, but not as many as we'd like, because some remain obstinately geo-illiterate :o

Gps Storm, Taeros, TAM-Otters, Biltong, and Geo Jess are our kids.

Regarding the geo-illiterates -

My son, who's studying at UCT, sent me a pic of himself on top of Devil's peak, within metres of the cache up there (which we can only dream about ever logging!!). He's found about 50 caches with us, but he's a lost cause - he'll hike all over the Cape mountains, walk past dozens of caches, and has no interest in geocaching whatsoever.

My daughter in Wales, who's also found 50-or-so caches with us, also has no interest in geocaching. Although, she did satify our curiosity by finding a puzzle cache near Cardiff which we couldn't find. We hunted it en-route to the airport on our way home, but couldn't find it because we had something wrong with our puzzle solution. Back home, we reworked the puzzle and came up with another option, so we emailed her a Google Earth pic, and she went and found it!!! But, it didn't get her going.... :P

And there's more kids (and grandkids) who haven't even got close to getting hooked.......

This archived cache is a clue to the untapped potential we still have - :ph34r:

We are TeamPeters, and consist of Mom, Dad, teenage DD and 4yo son. We're newbies to the game, but are loving it!

Well....except for the teen. We're trying to get her interested, but I don't think she's caught the bug yet. I'm hoping to get several of her friends together for a hunt, and maybe if THEY think it's cool she might like it.

Our 4yo though LOVES to go "treasure hunting," and asks to go just about every weekend. If it wasn't 100+ degrees, we'd be happy to oblige. I can't wait until it gets a little cooler! :ph34r:

Edited by teampeters

We are a husband & wife team, considering ourselves casual/holiday cachers. We introduced the game to Johan's two younger brothers who both registered. -"Bosveldklong" (12 yrs younger) are really hooked and has hidden and found many caches in the E Cape. He's currently in England, scratching out caches from nearly every second bush. "Starsky&Hutch" (14 yrs younger) started off in Pretoria then lost his girlfriend, moved to Capetown and then lost his GPSr (not very active currently but keen to start again once he get together enough money for a new GPSr).

When on holidays, we take other family members with on caching trips - even took Mom & Dad with through Baviaanskloof! and although they all enjoy it thoroughly, haven't got motivated enough to register on their own.

We are a husband & wife team, considering ourselves casual/holiday cachers. We introduced the game to Johan's two younger brothers who both registered. -"Bosveldklong" (12 yrs younger) are really hooked and has hidden and found many caches in the E Cape. He's currently in England, scratching out caches from nearly every second bush. "Starsky&Hutch" (14 yrs younger) started off in Pretoria then lost his girlfriend, moved to Capetown and then lost his GPSr (not very active currently but keen to start again once he get together enough money for a new GPSr).

When on holidays, we take other family members with on caching trips - even took Mom & Dad with through Baviaanskloof! and although they all enjoy it thoroughly, haven't got motivated enough to register on their own.

I&J got me hooked and addicted, and the challange was on between the three brothers,but now with Starsky&Hutch MIA the competition is slowing :ph34r: Now we tend to plan group effords during holidays, thus dragging the sister along with the twins..(which had an interesting story going through the baviaans on a "short" 4x4 course!!!)

Dad enjoys the outdoors and is always game for a search, especially when it comes to spotting snakes!!!Mom just enjoys the family re-union.

So watch out for a big family search in December!! :unsure:

We are GEO936 - a family team of hubby (Rolf), wife (Silvia) and 2 year old toddler (Nadia). We have a bun in the oven, who is due to arrive around 23rd September, who will complete our family.

Rolf's brother and wife are Team Kokerboom, and they also enjoying geocaching. Rolf's Dad and Silvia's parents often join us on cache hunts, as they think it is the coolest thing to do!

Nadia loves geocaching, and has caught on what to do and what is happening. She now tells us very proudly "Daddy, I find it!" when she sees a crevice or hole somewhere nearby to where we are hunting! - Very sweet.

I was on the Garmin web site when I read about geocaching. I had no idea what this means. I eventually got to the listings and discovered that there is one close by. Put it into the GPS and went there. (Skurwerantjies) I found it after one hell of a search. Still had no idea what to do – discover the log book and read it. I then signed it and I took the coin. Later I discovered that I must log the finding on the website and that the coin is not for keeps. Our team consist of my wife Petra, Abbi my daughter, my dog Rex and me. I do most of the caches except the single ones or the ones on holiday.

I then told my brother and he followed. (williesoosWCsa) He found a couple of caches then suddenly he stopped logging. I then discovered that he is still caching but he is no longer logging his finds on the Internet. He only does it for the location and the fun of it and do not want to go into numbers. During my holiday in George he was with me but no logs were done by him. He was no help at all, even when I was falling around in the area he would only smile. At Victoria bay I started off on the wrong foot and ended somewhere in the caravan park. This really made him smiling. Some of the coin and TB discoveries I had to do on his behalf. I now keep an eye on him – I have three caches in the mountains as a FTF. If he finds them and he does not log onto Internet then the next cacher will be the FTF and I will ignore his find as punishment. :laughing:

One of my colleagues then wanted to see what this is about. (Leodes) I took him to “Rocky View” and told him to find it. This turns out to be a huge struggle. His gps could not point to the correct area. I then handed him the quest 2 and he found it in no time. He only have this one find and is now waiting to buy a proper GPS.

Bottom line – my infection ratio is not good and at 400 caches later I could not convince anybody to join as a cacher with passion. I am still the only resident in Ermelo that is doing caching which is a big pity. B)

Gerhard