Arduously slow response times

I'm in the process of publishing 4 new caches at the moment - and the web site is giving response times of over 5 minutes each time I submit something. Is this normal for a Sunday evening?

I'm only grumbling - not complaining. It's just taken me nearly 3 hours so far and I'm still a long way before getting the pages in a fit state to publish.

At least the forum is as fast as ever...

Sods law...

within a minute or so of posting my last post, everything sped up to near normal speeds.

Spoke too soon - I'm about to give up on the fourth bonus cache in the series - I've got other things to do...

I'll have to post that tomorrow now, and the other three don't have waypoints attributes or images, things I usually like to complete before submitting for review.

[edit: It's now nearly 10:30 and I've made absolutely no progress whatsoever. If the first three do get published tomorrow and someone goes for the FTF, I hope they forgive me for not being able to get the bonus cache online - it's utterly hopeless trying to get anything done on Geocaching.com at the moment]

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

I've now asked the moderators to refrain publishing the three new caches that got through as I wanted them all to be published at the same time, completed with all waypoints and attributes complete.

Sad to say I've been very disappointed with tonight's response times - not even an explanation on the front page page that there's even something wrong.

I only managed to tag the message onto one of the new cache - they're now starting to time out on me.

Sadly, this is a sour note to end a fine mountain walk to place new caches.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Getting database errors tonight while accessing the forum - maybe Groundspeak need to upgrade their servers...

Also, I've 4 caches awaiting moderation now for the longest time I've ever seen between submission and publishing. I guess this could be more down to new mods being trained / our single current mod taking a break? :D

Getting database errors tonight while accessing the forum - maybe Groundspeak need to upgrade their servers...

Also, I've 4 caches awaiting moderation now for the longest time I've ever seen between submission and publishing. I guess this could be more down to new mods being trained / our single current mod taking a break? :D

mods don't review caches. Reviewers do that.

Sorry it's down to me having some family affairs to deal with, meant I've spent the last 2 days in Manchester.Without a spare minute to pop down the road to McD's [free wifi, sat in the car with a coffee]. Normal business will resume in the next 24 hours.

No worries - I'm quite relaxed about when these get published anyway and with the burden currently on one person it's understandable that we see some delays from time to time. I hope family matters were OK.

The four caches are pretty remote ones out on a mountainside so apart from a couple of FTF attempts, I expect this series to be found relatively infrequently so I wasn't pushing the speed of publication - to be honest I though the delay was down to the fact that the reviewer was subject to the same down time on Sunday that everyone else was and that's what I implied in my post.

Hmmm - I can see that you've done the smiley so that is the defence 'I didn't mean anything by it' but geocaching.com itself says a cache may take up to 72 hours to publish. Perhaps on the submission page there should be a financial consultants terms and conditions. "Previous performance is no indicator of possible future performance."

Also moderators are subject to the same website performance issues that you are too. So if Deckers was able to publish caches at that time, he wouldn't have been able to have done anything anyhow to the website performance (which to be fair once it was reported on the website forum rather than the UK forum, the performance issue was resolved within about 90 minutes)

Sheesh - I wish I hadn't made my remark now.

It was purely a remark about the slowness of the web site and at the time I figured we'd all been affected by it, be it regular cachers or reviewers. I'm fully aware of the 72 hour possible delay and wouldn't have even made a direct query to Groundspeak until at least Friday at the earliest.