Do GPS' slowly wear out?

I purchased a Garmin 60Csx within a month of their introduction. By today's standard I guess it is old and obsolete. For the past little while, it has not performed well in the field. There can't be that much "bounce" every time I go out. It seems it runs me in circles at every cache. Most of the time in 50' to 60' circles regardless of the tree cover. Gets embarrassing when the Magellan cachers are signing the log and I am wondering about still trying to find GZ. One of the things that I have noticed is that can't pick up a signal at my kitchen table anymore, no matter how long I wait for it to acquire one even after clicking on "continue". Not that I have a cache hidden at my table but it always did this before when I was checking out something (previous tracks, downloaded caches, maps etc.) 60Csx owners will know what I am talking about. I am wondering if this is a sign that the accuracy is slowly fading? Can GPS' "wear out" or do they just eventually die and quit.

Hi, I put the posting just before yours. Do you know how old your unit is? I know mine is at least 10 years old. I always figured the accuracy was around 100', which for hunting was fine. Now It seems based on trying to find some caches that I can't even get on the right street.

Hi, I put the posting just before yours. Do you know how old your unit is? I know mine is at least 10 years old. I always figured the accuracy was around 100', which for hunting was fine. Now It seems based on trying to find some caches that I can't even get on the right street.

I believe it was Feb or March of '06. When I first got it I was the envy of a lot of my fellow cachers. It's ability to work in heavy tree cover was excellent. The other day a Magellan user was sitting on a rock signing the log in an OPEN field as I wandered in a full circle about 50' away. Embarrassing.

I seriously doubt your unit is losing accuracy due to age. In my experience, they either work or they don't. The satellite configuration can make a huge difference in estimated accuracy, and the satellites are constantly moving. I have two identical 60Cx units, and when holding each in a different hand I can often get different estimated accuracy readings.

You can try resetting the almanac data. That is what Garmin will recommend that you do. If that doesn't work, then I'd wait a bit longer to see if there is another problem that you can debug before giving up on your unit. I've never heard of a unit degrading with age.

The 60CSx is hardly obsolete. It's still one of the most stable and best performing units out there. You probably just need to do the following:

Keep pushing the page button until you get to the Satellite screen.

Push the menu button

Select "Use with GPS Off"

Push the menu button again

Select "New Location"

Select "Automatic"

Then just let it sit there for a 1/2 hour or so.

Make sure you have a clear view of the sky when you do it.

I've had the same kind of problems before and this seems to fix it.

Have you tried doing a reset back to factory settings? You might have a corrupted temperature adjustment table. The unit has to make small adjustments to the internal clock, based on the internal temperature of the unit. That's why GPSs have internal temperature sensors. There is a general factory table, but over time the unit alters the table to compensate for each unit's own quirks. If you do a factory reset, it will reset that table back to factory setting, and it will start rebuilding it again.

I might help, and from the sounds of things, it can't make it worse.

Among the other suggestions, check if your WAAS is on. On my GPS60C it seems to make things worse unless I have a good signal from most of the visible satellites. Also, when left alone for a minute or so, what does the radius accuracy read?

As to not getting signals in the kitchen anymore, is the room shaded by trees? There is some signal attenuation by the leaves. Other wise to answer your question, I've had my GPS60 since they were first introduced, the buttons are worn down but it is as accurate as when it was new.

The 60CSx is hardly obsolete. It's still one of the most stable and best performing units out there. You probably just need to do the following:

Keep pushing the page button until you get to the Satellite screen.

Push the menu button

Select "Use with GPS Off"

Push the menu button again

Select "New Location"

Select "Automatic"

Then just let it sit there for a 1/2 hour or so.

Make sure you have a clear view of the sky when you do it.

I've had the same kind of problems before and this seems to fix it.

Thanks for yours and others suggestions. I love this 60Csx and have no desire to change models even though it might be "obsolete" by some peoples measurements. The Colorado seemed to be missing features that this one has and for the life of me I can't imagine rooting around in the bush bending over rocks and fallen trees with a touch screen. If and when this one dies, it will be replaced by the same model. I have tried your suggestion first and for the first time in a while, I now get a signal at my kitchen table. Now if I could just find the cache hidden in my kitchen all would be good. Seriously, the proof will be in the field. If it hasn't improved there then I will do the factory resets. To answer some of the other questions--WAAS is enabled and battery saver is off. There are no trees close to my house to interfere with the reception All of these could have been the problem so thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully, my fellow cachers that use a GPS from "the dark side" (Magellan) won't be snickering at me again. Don't know why they are doing that unless it's because I have been snickering at them for a couple of years.

Your thread here caught my attention, because of the mention about accuracy.

Are newer models proven to be more accurate? And just how much do "most" Geocachers depend on their GPS?

I heard about geocaching years ago, but have only recently joined and started to give it a go. I did a couple sites GPS-less just because I could not wait any longer :unsure: I did finally manage after quite a struggle, to ressurect my Old Garmin 45. It seems to be getting me within 10 feet, if not spot-on. And I have now found the GPS confuses me when very near GZ and I am better off shutting it down and using my eyes and clues given.

So, I am really wondering how much most people rely on their GPS, and is it worth buying a newfangled contraption while my vintage model is still working?

I would also like to place a cache soon, but don't want give "off" coordinates.

PS :ph34r: my 1st post... so I see I'm a "Tadpole"

Edited by djcaches

Your thread here caught my attention, because of the mention about accuracy.

Are newer models proven to be more accurate? And just how much do "most" Geocachers depend on their GPS?

I heard about geocaching years ago, but have only recently joined and started to give it a go. I did a couple sites GPS-less just because I could not wait any longer :unsure: I did finally manage after quite a struggle, to ressurect my Old Garmin 45. It seems to be getting me within 10 feet, if not spot-on. And I have now found the GPS confuses me when very near GZ and I am better off shutting it down and using my eyes and clues given.

So, I am really wondering how much most people rely on their GPS, and is it worth buying a newfangled contraption while my vintage model is still working?

I would also like to place a cache soon, but don't want give "off" coordinates.

PS :ph34r: my 1st post... so I see I'm a "Tadpole"

From my experience, before I was having trouble, there really wasn't a lot of difference in accuracy between different models. We kept our entry level Garmin (old yellow) and my wife uses it. If we were in the open one might say 84' to the cache while the other would say 88' to the cache. Really negligible. The Garmin "x" series however, are vastly superior in heavy tree cover. Many times "old yellow" would lose signal while the 60Csx continued on to the cache. Very handy if you are looking for a cache that is 200' to 300' off the trail under Pine trees. You are correct in not depending on your GPS to walk you right to the cache. Very, very rarely happens. Once you are close hands, eyes even feet and brains are your best friends. Oh ya, the hints help too.

As far as placing a cache it is recommended you use an "average" set of coordinates. Take a reading at the cache and walk away. Come back and you probably get a different reading. Do that about 5 times going in different directions. 10 would be even better. Take the average of those readings and use them for your listed coordinates of the cache.

The Garmin 60Csx has more bells and whistles than some other entry level GPS's that I really like and have gotten used to but you have to pay for those bells to ring and hear the whistles blow.

Welcome to the game.

Voopers, thanks for the advice.

Gosh, I know we bought this GPS yonks ago, but :unsure: I guess I should call it an antique?! not just vintage! The owners manual says April 1994.

I will keep using my antique, and as you said, take multiple readings.

Good luck & happy caching with your "older model" :ph34r:

Edited by djcaches

I purchased a Garmin 60Csx within a month of their introduction. By today's standard I guess it is old and obsolete. For the past little while, it has not performed well in the field. There can't be that much "bounce" every time I go out. It seems it runs me in circles at every cache. Most of the time in 50' to 60' circles regardless of the tree cover. Gets embarrassing when the Magellan cachers are signing the log and I am wondering about still trying to find GZ. One of the things that I have noticed is that can't pick up a signal at my kitchen table anymore, no matter how long I wait for it to acquire one even after clicking on "continue". Not that I have a cache hidden at my table but it always did this before when I was checking out something (previous tracks, downloaded caches, maps etc.) 60Csx owners will know what I am talking about. I am wondering if this is a sign that the accuracy is slowly fading? Can GPS' "wear out" or do they just eventually die and quit.

When I notice that I'm starting to walk in circles, or see an arc to the track log on my approach to a cache on my 60csx, it clears up as soon as I recalibrate the compass. Might help. My compass seems to lose it's alignment easily. If your error distance is high, you may have a loose antenna internally.

Edited by geoRickS