Anyway to upgrade a Colorado to Orgeon?

I am a huge touchscreen fan. I have used PDA for about 10 years now. I am bummed beyond belief that a few months after I buy a Colorado they announce the new Orgeons. I purchased my Colorado from Amazon.com on April 21. Have you all come across an upgrade program through Garmin? I believe amazon will only do a partial refund in price that can be credited towards the new purchase.

I am aware I could attempt to sell my old unit, but it is in pristine condition and I would hate to take a hit in price. I put a screen protector on it before using it.

Any magic garmin fairies out there that can wave a wand and make this happen?

I am a huge touchscreen fan. I have used PDA for about 10 years now. I am bummed beyond belief that a few months after I buy a Colorado they announce the new Orgeons. I purchased my Colorado from Amazon.com on April 21. Have you all come across an upgrade program through Garmin? I believe amazon will only do a partial refund in price that can be credited towards the new purchase.

I am aware I could attempt to sell my old unit, but it is in pristine condition and I would hate to take a hit in price. I put a screen protector on it before using it.

I can do the upgrade for you, but you would not like the price. :huh:

I am a huge touchscreen fan.
I realize this is OT, but you've already been told it ain't going to happen. Sorry.

I just got my first touchscreen yesterday, a Nuvi. For gross navigating a finger is great, but for that last bit of precision, for 24K Topos, a stylus is needed. I used a toothpick. What do you use/suggest?

I just got my first touchscreen yesterday, a Nuvi. For gross navigating a finger is great, but for that last bit of precision, for 24K Topos, a stylus is needed. I used a toothpick. What do you use/suggest?

A few years back, I picked up a pen for about $5 at Walmart that had two tips- an ink pen and a stylus. Twist the top one way, the pen tip is extended... twist it the other way and you get a stylus tip. It was handy to have for caching because it was harder to lose than a traditional stylus; you just had to make sure that you never attacked the screen with the wrong tip...

not magic, but check your PM

I realize this is OT, but you've already been told it ain't going to happen. Sorry.

That makes no sense. We're navigating to a set of coordinates. Why would a stylus be needed to enter coordinates?

You do realize we're talking about the Oregon, right?

That makes no sense. We're navigating to a set of coordinates. Why would a stylus be needed to enter coordinates?

I may be trying to turn an Oregon into a PDA, but an ejectable stylus would be a nice addition to the model. However a pen/stylus combo attached to a carabiner clip would work just as good.

For what it's worth. I'm kinda in the same boat you are. I just bought my Colorado 400c in May. It's already puked on me (would not power up) . I returned it to Garmin for repair and the repaired unit should be here tomorrow. I was looking for an updated status and saw the Oregon suddenly appear. I was a little miffed that I could have had a touch screen. But now that I've done a little reading and thinking, a touch screen may not be the cat's meow if it's raining, muddy or cold.

And based on all the Software issues with the Colorado........just wait and see what happens with the Oregon. (Unless they put the 'A' team on Oregon and 'B' team on Colorado). I'd wait a year and see what kind of updates and serious user reviews come out on Oregon.

I think maybe his point was, to select a point on a map such as a waypoint, geocache, intersection, trail, etc., be it for navigation or whatever, might be a little difficult without a stylus. Especially for those of us with large fingers.

I was a little miffed that the OR was announced as my new CO was in transit to my house, but the more I think about it, the touch screen might sound a little better on paper than it works in the field for this type of GPSr. Mainly because I don't want to have to carry around and always be whipping out a stylus.

Have you tired Amazon? Sometimes they are willing to refund with a re-stocking fee for your returned items. Just e-mail them and tell them that the unit is like new. You do still have all the original box and papers right?

That's one reason I always order from Amazon. They might be a little more expensive but they have a flexible return policy.

Edited by jcc123

Pretty sure Garmin's idea of an upgrade is pay list price for a new unit... With their sincere thanks, of course.

Actually, when Garmin released the GPS III+, they gave GPS III owners the option of upgrading. I had recently bought a used III and I was able to upgrade to the III+. Cost me $120 but can't recall the price of the used III or a new III+. In any case, that was a rather unusual offer and AFAIK Garmin has never done that since then.

GeoBC