"Send to GPS" accuracy errors

Today's geocaching adventure turned out to be pretty unpleasant. I have a Garmin Vista HCx with v2.60 firmware, with 1GByte microSD card.

I'm not yet a "paperless" geocacher; I usually print out a single page about the cache so we can re-read the clues if we can't find the cache.

Meanwhile, I also do the "Send to GPS" at the cache homepage to avoid manually entering the GPS coordinates.

The problem we noted was this. Today we couldn't find 3 of 4 of our caches. I re-checked the TEXT coordinates and found a discrepancy between the TEXT at the cache homepage and what the Garmin unit had actually CAPTURED from the download! This was true on 3 of 4 of our caches (no wonder we didn't find them).

Has anyone seen this sort of a problem before, and is it my issue or settings?

Make sure that the GPS has the "correct" Datum and format selected.

The Datum should be WGS84 and the format should be set to Degrees-Decimal minutes

It may be that the cordinates just look wrong if you have the wrong format selected.

Also make sure you aren't moving the waypoints when you look at them on the map.

Thanks. Most times this transfer works OK. In fact, tonite I deleted the downloaded geocache files on my Vista HCx and re-did the "Send to GPS" for the same caches which were incorrect before, and this time it worked fine. It seems a pain to have to double-check the coordinates when they come across to my GPS... sorta defeats the purpose of the easy transfer.

I'd think that with the particular web page open for the cache, there would be a completely accurate transfer to my HCx under "Send to GPS"...

This is a new unit March08 purchase. I did upgrade the firmware, which others have warned creates some problems for accuracy of location. Perhaps accuracy of data transfer can be added to the list of problems.