Entering Waypoints in Garmin eTrex

OMac's Pirates

Just bought my Garmin eTrex yesterday and am eager to get started. Have been geocaching before with a friend, but she did all the work of entering waypoints, etc. Do I have to be outside, in clear view of the satellites, to enter waypoints for geocaches?

The Simple nswer is NO ! . you can enter waypoints "Inside " , but , if your ETrex is constantly trying to gather sat info , you may find it easier t put the Etrex in "Demo Mode " before you start.

Just bought my Garmin eTrex yesterday and am eager to get started. Have been geocaching before with a friend, but she did all the work of entering waypoints, etc. Do I have to be outside, in clear view of the satellites, to enter waypoints for geocaches?

The Simple nswer is NO ! . you can enter waypoints "Inside " , but , if your ETrex is constantly trying to gather sat info , you may find it easier t put the Etrex in "Demo Mode " before you start.

"Demo Mode"? - The Simple nswer is NO ! Not your best option.

When indoors the Menu option Use With GPS Off is appropriate. Then use the MARK option to enter new Waypoints. The GPS either knows where it is, or it remembers where it was the last time it had a lock. Either way those are the coords you are going to edit to be the new Waypoints you want to create.

Do it inside, if it's geocaching waypoints you are loading use the Garnin Communicator plugin and a USB cord. to send the loc. files to your GPSr

I copied and pasted the stuff below from their website at http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Communication with your Garmin GPS just got easier thanks to the Garmin Communicator Plugin — the free internet browser plugin that sends and retrieves data from Garmin GPS devices.

The Garmin Communicator Plugin lets you connect your Garmin GPS with your favorite website. Once the plugin is installed, just connect your Garmin GPS device to your computer, and you’re on your way. The Garmin Communicator can send and retrieve data from any supported website.

The simpler answer is YES. If you have the ability to download from the computer I would asume that your computer is inside. Very few people leave ther computer outside these days. If you must or prefer to enter coordinates manually, this too can be done inside. Yes the GPSR will try to connect to the sats and you may get a question "are you indoors?" on the screen. I have no cable for connecting to the computer and often input coords by hand sitting at a desk. Oh and no "demo mode"