Cacher that refuses to sign logbooks

benh57

This is a new one, this cacher refuses to sign any physical logbooks, and only logs online:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b7-7b7c34568491

Usually it's the other way around. :rolleyes:

Exact same log on a ton of caches around here.

A lot of deletion work to be done by some of the local owners...

** he does claim to actually find the caches, though - i think he really does find them - just not open them... though, he sure has been 'finding' a lot of caches in los angeles.

Edited by benh57
This is a new one, this cacher refuses to sign any physical logbooks, and only logs online.....Exact same log on a ton of caches around here. A lot of deletion work to be done by some of the local owners... ** he does claim to actually find the caches, though - i think he really does find them - just not open them.
Even though the guidelines state to sign the log, they also state :

It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Seems this cacher is not into numbers and is into geocaching for the pure fun of finding the caches. Don't think deleting their logs would bother them one bit. What's to be gained by deleting their logs? If someone is that concerned about them finding a particular logged cache then email 'em and see if they can validate the container, location, or something to confirm the find. Don't think it would bug 'em to delete all their finds, they know what they've done (or haven't done) :rolleyes:

Edited by infiniteMPG

Just looking at some of his logs at random, I noticed that at GC17JZC, he "found" it after several DNFs, and just before the owner confirmed it was missing. Something tells me that instead of his job taking him all over the world, his computer is how he travels. I will apologize to him if he signs a cache log near me the next time his job takes him to the east coast. :rolleyes:

Just looking at some of his logs at random, I noticed that at GC17JZC, he "found" it after several DNFs, and just before the owner confirmed it was missing. Something tells me that instead of his job taking him all over the world, his computer is how he travels. I will apologize to him if he signs a cache log near me the next time his job takes him to the east coast. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's a logical explanation......like you know......caching in spirit!!

This is a new one, this cacher refuses to sign any physical logbooks, and only logs online:

** he does claim to actually find the caches, though - i think he really does find them - just not open them... though, he sure has been 'finding' a lot of caches in los angeles.

That's not an actual cacher. It's a geovirus spam log being sent out to random caches from someones infected computer. They most likely do not know or suspect it is there, but it is probably making it run real slow.

That's not an actual cacher. It's a geovirus spam log being sent out to random caches from someones infected computer. They most likely do not know or suspect it is there, but it is probably making it run real slow.

Um.. do you have some way of backing up that claim? That's a pretty big claim.

It also (occasionally) posts different logs to different caches, and has the same quote in their profile.

Even if you hit the ball out of the park, you still have to run the bases, and touch home plate...

I agree! There's been a couple of times that I have SEEN the cache - stuck on a pole 20 feet up in the air - but I don't get earn the smiley until I find a way to GET it!

My policy as well ...

You can certainly choose to sign the log in the cache and then not log them online, but you can't do it the other way around. I do actually check the log book against the online logs when I change them and if you're not signed in, you get a polite note pointing out your oversight and asking for an explanation.

Occasionally, in a group scenerio, someone will forget to sign in or will be signed in under a group moniker made up for the day (so as to not take a bunch of slots on the log sheet). If the person gives me a reasonable excuse and can explain exactly where and how the cache was hidden, I'll usually let the log stand unless there is something special which must be accomplished (such as the 20ft pole thing -- seeing a cache is not enough). Otherwise, I'll delete it and ask them to please revisit and sign in. No response always = Deleted Log.

Cache owners have their "guidelines" also. One of mine is, "No signa da log, no getta da smiley" Even if you hit the ball out of the park, you still have to run the bases, and touch home plate...

Edited by Lasagna

This is a strange one, because the account holder seems to have been a member for about two and a half years, and some of his/her earlier finds, from years ago, seem to be perhaps valid, and she/he also briefly owned three caches (each located in Germany), all now archived after short lifetimes, in early 2006. And, it is all the more strange due to the poor spelling, lack of capitalization and odd grammar employed in any text written by this cacher...

Much like others who have responded to this thread, while I have heard many times of cachers who sign only the physical logbook and do not log finds online, I have so far only encountered this pattern of refusing to sign the physical logbook but claiming finds online only in the case of hoax finders, that is, fraudulent finds. If this account holder attempted to log such an online-only find on any of my caches, I would either delete the find in short order (as soon as I had verified that the logbook had not been signed), or, if the apparently fraudulent find was somehow notable in some way (perhaps logged by a humorous hoaxster who has become infamous all over the world, such as the case we encountered a few years ago) then I might leave the "find" log in place but would, in that case, emplace a log note from the cache owner (myself) immediately above or below it, noting that I strongly suspect that the find log is fraudulent, but am allowing it to remain (along with my qualifying note) simply as part of the history of the cache.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

What others said... no signee no smilie!

I learned this the hard way - I and a group of friends found a whopping bunch of caches on a speed-run weekend but initialed the outside of most of them with a Sharpie rather than take the time to open and sign the log itself. It was resoundingly decided throughout the game that since we didn't sign the log we didn't 'legally' find the cache, so I did not log any of them online.

The majority opinion in and out of these forums since that time has held that if you don't sign the cache log you don't claim a find online.

I think that if you can't get to the cache and actually sign the log book in the cache, to me you haven't "found it" just yet. :huh:

But thats just my opinion I guess. I guess if you want to think that you've found the cache just cuz you've seen it then go ahead and keep thinking.... go on... do it......:o

-that's my 4 cents which is better than 2 :huh:

i can think of twice that i signed the container and claimed the find:

case one: found the container frozen in a block of ice. chipped enough of the ice away to sign it, but broke two shovels. since it was not a trick container we chose signing the container over setting a fire underneath it to get it free.

case two: opened the container and the log (which had actually dissolved into a thick and nasty soup) poured out down my arm.

i would not take this liberty if getting the log out was an intended part of the challenge, nor would i use it if i was simply in too much of a hurry to be bothered opening the container.

Please, please don't delete his logs. Yes, we all know that the cache owners have some kind of supreme right to do whatever they want to, "because it is their cache"! We have had a lot of log deletions around here just because the owner(s) simply don't like the cachers. Is the World going to end if a mistake is made or Heaven help us if there is a log that may not be a true find (whatever that is)? Folks don't get your nickers in a twist, it's a game!!!! :huh:

Please, please don't delete his logs. Yes, we all know that the cache owners have some kind of supreme right to do whatever they want to, "because it is their cache"! We have had a lot of log deletions around here just because the owner(s) simply don't like the cachers. Is the World going to end if a mistake is made or Heaven help us if there is a log that may not be a true find (whatever that is)? Folks don't get your nickers in a twist, it's a game!!!! :huh:

There is quite a difference between deleting legit logs because you don't like the finder and deleting fraudulent logs. Phony logs only serve to confuse cache owners and other geocachers and could cause other geocachers to waste their time and gas looking for a missing cache.

I think it's a cache owner's duty to delete phony logs when he sees then.

There is quite a difference between deleting legit logs because you don't like the finder and deleting fraudulent logs. Phony logs only serve to confuse cache owners and other geocachers and could cause other geocachers to waste their time and gas looking for a missing cache.

I am suprised that briansnat did not tell the story of friends who spent a significant amount of time and money driving 100 miles to look for a cache after a false report of a find.

I had a post ready to go last night was going to mention briansnat's friends but decided not to post then. I have a watch on the cache mentioned in the OP because I DNFd this cache last weekend. When I saw the notification that it had been found I seriously considered going right out and clearing my DNF from last week. However, I happen to have watches on several other caches where this guy logged the exact same cut and paste log. These included a couple of cache that I know are very difficult finds. I usually like to read the logs to see how long the person looked or how many trips back before finding the cache. It's possible the guy was lucky and just happened to find these cache so easily that he had nothing to say other then his cut and paste log. I also had a watch on a cache which has needed maintenance for a long time. Most finders comment on the condition of the container but this guy just posted the same cut and paste log. I looked at the caches he says he found yesterday. Some of these caches require significant hikes. The way the trails are laid out he had a long day on the trail to find the caches he says he found in addition to a bunch of park and grabs he also found in the area. It is doable (especially if you don't stop to sign the logs) but hard to imagine someone from out of the area who hasn't hiked these trails before doing it.

If a person claims a find without signing the log they will usually say something about the find to let the owner (and others) know they probably found the cache. Leaving just your name or TFTC is already suspect. Posting a cut and paste log that states outright that you never sign the log and it's OK if the owner deletes it seems far fetched from anyone other than someone who is just sitting a home logging bogus finds.

Edited by tozainamboku

Please, please don't delete his logs. Yes, we all know that the cache owners have some kind of supreme right to do whatever they want to, "because it is their cache"! We have had a lot of log deletions around here just because the owner(s) simply don't like the cachers. Is the World going to end if a mistake is made or Heaven help us if there is a log that may not be a true find (whatever that is)? Folks don't get your nickers in a twist, it's a game!!!! :o

I am suprised that briansnat did not tell the story of friends who spent a significant amount of time and money driving 100 miles to look for a cache after a false report of a find.

I had a post ready to go last night was going to mention briansnat's friends but decided not to post then. I have a watch on the cache mentioned in the OP because I DNFd this cache last weekend. When I saw the notification that it had been found I seriously considered going right out and clearing my DNF from last week. However, I happen to have watches on several other caches where this guy logged the exact same cut and paste log. These included a couple of cache that I know are very difficult finds. I usually like to read the logs to see how long the person looked or how many trips back before finding the cache. It's possible the guy was lucky and just happened to find these cache so easily that he had nothing to say other then his cut and paste log. I also had a watch on a cache which has needed maintenance for a long time. Most finders comment on the condition of the container but this guy just posted the same cut and paste log. I looked at the caches he says he found yesterday. Some of these caches require significant hikes. The way the trails are laid out he had a long day on the trail to find the caches he says he found in addition to a bunch of park and grabs he also found in the area. It is doable (especially if you don't stop to sign the logs) but hard to imagine someone from out of the area who hasn't hiked these trails before doing it.

If a person claims a find without signing the log they will usually say something about the find to let the owner (and others) know they probably found the cache. Leaving just your name or TFTC is already suspect. Posting a cut and paste log that states outright that you never sign the log and it's OK if the owner deletes it seems far fetched from anyone other than someone who is just sitting a home logging bogus finds.

Yes, and at this point there is little doubt in anyone's minds that this is simply a bored person located "somewhere" who is sitting at home -- wherever that may be -- at a PC in his mother's basement, and logging spurious finds for the "fun" of it. Sad, and rather silly.

I have no idea why Konnarock Kid has started pleading with us NOT to delete these spurious finds, but, in light of his recent posts to other threads, I suspect that I really really really do not want to know, as he seems, by his own words, to be a dust magnet for drama and angst! :o;):huh::huh:

The reward is in the journey. ... There is no prize for the one who finds the most. So, each of us plays the game the way he or she wants to.

If the cacher wants to find caches while sitting in front of the computer, that's fine, so long as he or she isn't making people think a missing cache is still there.

There are several nanos where I didn't sign the log because there was no more space. I left a dot on the log. There are several caches where the logs were too wet to sign and leaving paper was not feasible.

There is one instance in which I may have failed to sign a log book. It was a T5 cache. I went for it ONLY because I had a TB that wanted to be left in a T4 or T5 cache. (I inadvertently grabbed it a while earlier.) It wasn't until after I got back to the car that I started thinking about whether I had signed. I decided to log it as I had dropped the TB there.

There is one cache where I was 1/2 inch away. All that separated me from it was the steel post in which it had been placed and fallen and I had no way of retrieving it. I posted a note, but not a find. I built a retrieval device so that next time I was in the area I could retrieve it. (In the interim someone beat me to it.)

I say let the guy play the game the way he wants, at least until there is a prize for the winner.

Cache owners have their "guidelines" also. One of mine is, "No signa da log, no getta da smiley" Even if you hit the ball out of the park, you still have to run the bases, and touch home plate...

Count me FIRMLY in the 'No sign, No find' camp.

Certainly there can be extenuating circumstances, and I'm willing to listen to logical explanations.

I had some online logs on a few of my caches by a team from somewhere in the Midwest (can't remember just now, but it doesn't matter), but I couldn't locate a signature by them in the physical log. When I PM-ed them to inquire, I got a reply stating something similar to what the 'virtual logger' is posting. In at least one case he logged a 'find' on a missing cache. It was very unpleasant, but I deleted all his logs from my caches.

Isn't it interesting that if I ENCOURAGE this behavior by trying to make a virtual out of a former traditional, the admins will archive my cache (and lock it) the instant they find out?

f the cacher wants to find caches while sitting in front of the computer, that's fine, so long as he or she isn't making people think a missing cache is still there.

How can a phony found it not lead others to believe that the cache is there? See my link in my earlier post. I wonder if the two people who DNFed the cache after the phony log might have passed on it if that "find" wasn't posted.

Edited by briansnat

If there is a phony find logged after several DNFs, it will mislead people. If there is a phony find logged after a real find, I don't consider it misleading. So long as there is no reason to believe the cache has gone missing, a phony find is not misleading.

While I subscribe to the notion held by sea captains and pilots that if its not in the log, it didn't happen, I'm not going to tell someone else how to play the game ... especially when the rules are so loose.

But, if I were to tell others how to play the game, I'd tell them no log, no find. I'd tell them that when part of a group, an individual does not get a find unless he or she really found it, not just watched someone else grab it. I'd tell them using a car to race around grabbing urban micros doesn't count when its done just for the numbers. ... You get the picture.

BTW: for the cache that I could not touch because it had fallen down inside the pipe in which it was hidden, but which I could put my finger within half an inch -- should I have logged that as a find rather than written a note?

Edited by HH242

I had a fast look at his/her finds, and what strikes me is why haven't he logged more finds if he only sits at home and logs the caches with a cut and paste frase?

Could it be that he actually does visit GZ but doesn't bother with looking for the cache?

In my oppinion he or she still misses the "treasure" part of the hunt, but then again maybee he thinks that the view at GZ is more of a treasure?

I'm not going to tell someone else how to play the game

but we must force everyone to play the way we want them to!!!!!! how DARE someone try to have fun in their own way!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are some practices that should be discouraged or condemned. There have been people known to urinate in caches. They must get some fun out doing that. How DARE any of us try to tell them their way of having fun is wrong!!!!

How about if my way of having fun was go to fishing websites and brag about all the big fish I caught at lakes that are actually barren? You don't think that can affect others by sending them off to waste their time fishing in a lake that is fishless? That's not a lot different from logging bogus found its.

There is still too much of this "if it feels good, do it" ethic left over from 60's.

Copy and paste logs bug me anyway. Cache owners go to a lot of time and trouble putting out their caches (at least most do) and enjoy hearing a little something about their effort. Unless you are finding 10 - 15 a day why not take the time to write a personal note? Even with 10 - 15 how long does it take to write a note?

There are some practices that should be discouraged or condemned. There have been people known to urinate in caches. They must get some fun out doing that. How DARE any of us try to tell them their way of having fun is wrong!!!!

How about if my way of having fun was go to fishing websites and brag about all the big fish I caught at lakes that are actually barren? You don't think that can affect others by sending them off to waste their time fishing in a lake that is fishless? That's not a lot different from logging bogus found its.

There is still too much of this "if it feels good, do it" ethic left over from 60's.

If you pee in a cache, you are harming others.

If you don't sign a log, you aren't harming anyone.

If you force someone to play the way you want, just because you want them to do it your way, you are harming others.

If you try to dream up and constantly repeat the same magical mystical situations which are seldom or never going to actually happen, for the sole purpose of providing fictitious proof of an indefensible point, what are you really doing?

Edited by Bad_CRC

If you force someone to play the way you want, just because you want them to do it your way, you are harming others.

If you try to dream up and constantly repeat the same magical mystical situations which are seldom or never going to actually happen, for the sole purpose of providing fictitious proof of an indefensible point, what are you really doing?

At the risk of falling off my soap box, I'll give this a shot.

Armchair caching (logging false finds without even visiting GZ) harms the game itself. If this turns into a game where people imagine a cache, and others imagine they found it, people will drift away from hiding and finding actual caches. Admitedly this guys virtual visits all over the world are a very tiny step in that direction, but why accept it as part of the game?

I have been to caches where I simply forgot my pen or (on rare occasions) my arthritis is acting up and the micro or nano container isn't cooperating. On these occasions, I simply let the owner know in my online log...if the owner has questions, I am more than happy to answer them as I can describe the find very well in most cases (not always as sometimes this has happened while on vacation and I have a serious memory problem).

If the owner then wants to delete my find, I can't stop them and it won't bother me....but this "firm stance" attitude surely doesn't seem all that friendly to me! This IS a game, right???

I'm not saying to ignore this person's logs...if it's obviously (or questionably) bogus, get proof of the find or delete. BUT, if it's an obvious find by someone who forgot their pen (maybe in the hurry to find an FTF or something), ask for proof and let them have the find. Too many here are just anal about this when being human is a possibility!

How often has this been posted in the forums:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

Take something from the cache

Leave something in the cache

Write about it in the logbook

This is taken from the Geocache FAQ page. Seems that to log a smiley on the Geocaching.com website you should play by their rules. Write about it in the logbook - pretty self-explanatory. Proves you were there. I would be ticked to discover that people were logging smileys when I was struggling with DNFs on a cache, only to discover those smileys were bogus. I don't mind giving my time looking for something that may or may not be there, but dang, looking for something that is definately not there is a waste of my caching time! Yes, there are people who are disabled & can't cache all caches, but lets be real. I will never go for a 5/5. No allowances should be made for me - I cannot physically do those. But I've done quite of 1/1 that would be easy for a handicapped person to do. Heck, one of them (and it was one of my favorites so far because it was one of my first puzzle caches & I had a blast on a rainy day!) I didn't even have to get out of my car!

And I do believe allowances can be made for special circumstances - forgot your pen, wet logbook, whatever. But I do think you need to physically open the cache (or at least touch it - in the case of the frozen in a block of ice cache!)

Edited by m.austin

If you pee in a cache, you are harming others.

These are not magical mystical situations. They happen frequently enough. It's happened to me. It's happened to other cachers I know. It may well have happened with this cache with a phony find by the "geocacher" in question (we'd have to ask the two people who hunted the cache after the phony find).

I don't see why it should happen at all. Just so some Bozo can get his jollies? Sorry bud, your right to fun ends where you have the potential to affect others.

Edited by briansnat

I say let the guy play the game the way he wants, at least until there is a prize for the winner.

Sure. Let the guy play whatever game it is that's he's playing, whatever way he wants. I just don't know what game he's playing. Not the same one as I am. The night time webcam logs were expecially nice!

Some people hunt caches, but do not sign them, nor log them on-line. That doesn't affect me.

Some people hunt caches and sign the logs, but do not log on-line. That doesn't affect me. They're the ones playing for 'the journey is the reward.'

As Brian said "It's the cache owners duty to maintain the integrity of the cache." Geocaching.com says that 'it's the cache owner's responsibility to maintain the integrity of the cache."

To deliberately flaunt the cache owner's responsibility/duty by stating that the log has not been signed is insulting to the cache owner, and deserves immediate deletion. Some cache owners do not care. Most do.

Sure. Let them play their own game, whatrever it is. But the general consensus is: Sign log. Get smiley.

Sure. Let the guy play whatever game it is that's he's playing, whatever way he wants. I just don't know what game he's playing. Not the same one as I am.

You can bring a soccer ball to a golf course and try to kick it to the green and hit the flag with the ball. It may be fun but it isn't golf. If you were to claim you were golfing, real golfers wouldn't be out of line if they pointed out that you weren't really golfing.

Logging finds on caches you haven't found may be a total blast, but it isn't geocaching. This is a geocaching website. Get your own website for YOUR game.

You can bring a soccer ball to a golf course and try to kick it to the green and hit the flag with the ball. It may be fun but it isn't golf.

I think that's how frisbee golf got started :unsure:

While I agree with the sign the log to count the find, I really don't care how anyone else plays. The guy is ok with owners deleting his log. How many cache owners actually go out and check the log books to make sure everyone that has logged it online actually signed the log? I know I'm relatively new, and I'm just getting ready for my first hides. If I knew someone didn't sign the log I would delete their find only after trying to contact them to find out why they didn't sign the log. If they could describe the container/location and had a reason for not signing, let them log it, if not, delete.

I haven't had to deal with a situation where I found the cache but could not retrieve it yet. I'm not sure how I would handle that. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If I could see the container across a river, but didn't want to jump in because of the man eating fish I wouldn't log it. If I was within reach of it but it was covered in dog crap, well, I guess I wouldn't log that one either.

--my 6 cents, which is way better than 4

I would contact the person and ask questions that would verify whether he actually found the caches or not. As has been stated earlier, there may be a physical reason that he is not signing the logbooks. Judging by his writing style, I would say this is a definite possibility. He logged a cache that was actually missing? That may have been a mistake on his part. I don't know about the rest of you but I've made a mistake or two in my life.

I do have a question in regards to the rules---

"Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

Take something from the cache

Leave something in the cache

Write about it in the logbook"

Do the fundamentalists here (the ones who will unequivically delete online logs in the absence of signed logbooks) also believe that we must all follow the rule of taking and trading 'something'? It's in the rules. Do I HAVE to trade McToys to get a smilie on your cache?

Seems like a German armchair cacher. All his logs are his screen name. Looked at the US places. Bradford, PA, Rochester NY, NYC. Italy and two days later- Alaska then 3 days later- LA. Several I saw where he was the last or second to last finder before they went missing.

Edited by Wacka

Seems like a German armchair cacher. All his logs are his screen name. Looked at the US places. Bradford, PA, Rochester NY, NYC. Italy and two days later- Alaska then 3 days later- LA. Several I saw where he was the last or second to last finder before they went missing.

Good point. The cacher actually hid 3 caches (all archived) in Germany. I'd doubt he visits these places, except maybe over the internet. :( Most of the U.S. based finds I looked at seem feasible though, as far as travel.

Someone in my area created a "I don't sign logbooks" sock puppet, and logged about 50 finds a couple of years ago, although I don't want to waste my time looking for it. It's the internet, people get bored and do zany things. :blink:

The cacher has four trackables (two TBs, two coins) referenced in their profile. I haven't got the time to page through all the TB notes, but that might be an interesting investigation for anyone that does have the time. Were they dropped by the cacher and later found in that cache by another? How many miles between were the cacher found it and where they dropped it?

The cacher has four trackables (two TBs, two coins) referenced in their profile. I haven't got the time to page through all the TB notes, but that might be an interesting investigation for anyone that does have the time. Were they dropped by the cacher and later found in that cache by another? How many miles between were the cacher found it and where they dropped it?

Not hard, if you "view all logs", and use "find text" on your browser of choice. So I did it. In all 4 cases (2 coins, 2 jeeps) it was a case of tracking number sharing in Germany. This friggin' guy has never been out of Dusseldorf (or where ever he's from). :blink:

The number of finds that occur right before they're archived indicates to me he's likely seeking out DNF's due to missing caches to log in hopes his claim will stand because the owner won't be able to check the log (if it is indeed missing). But the evidence that shows logs too far apart that he couldn't possibly have visited (in the REAL) world is, to my satisfaction, the clincher. He's a phony, an 'armchair cacher' as said.

If you wanta play the game according to HIS rules....then accommodate him. Go thru and delete every freakin' log he's claimed, just as he says it's OK to do. THEN we'll see just how much he "doesn't mind".

Many scams (of all types) are run where the perp knows there'll be a vast majority of rejections....but they're satisfied with (& too often make a good living off) the relatively few that do skate by. They are/he is relying on your inattentiveness & laziness! His tactics are a scam, of another form, but a scam nonetheless. And what's the harm? The harm is to the very "game" or sport or hobby or pastime, whatever each of us considers it....as well as an insult to those who try to play the game as it was intended. And even moreso to those who take the time, expend the effort, and yes, bear the expense of providing the gamepieces that sustain each and every one of you who participate. If enough of them stop doing it, THEN where's your game?

I have one find....from a park about a block from my house. That makes me a geocacher "just like you." As soon as I'm done here, I'm gonna whip up a java applet that will parse the cache database for the entire world, and record each & every one as a find online. I'm sure many of them will be discovered & deleted. Maybe I'll even set it up to re-parse the deletions & log another find on them, about every other week. Yeah - that's da ticket! Whatever.....I should still have enough finds recorded to say "I won". And it's good to know so many of you are good with that. I'll count you among my blessings.

Then what? My work here is done......time to move along & conquer something new. And gosh - lookit all the time & gasoline I saved!

He doesn't belong. Push 'is button.

The 'D' one.

~*

I totally agree with Konnarock Kid & Marge. This is a game!! You play how YOU want to play. Who are we to go around deleting other ppl's finds because they didnt sign the book. WHO CARES! If to you its important to sign the log then sign it. If you dont want to sign then don't. Yes you may have put that cache out there, but you put it out there for others to ENJOY! Dont go around ruining the game for other ppl. I think its rude to go around deleting his progress, who are you... your not geocaching police. If you dont like the fact that ppl arent signing your 1 dollar log book then maybe you need to re evaluate whats really important here. The fact that geo caching gets ppl out, its fun and those who do sign the log WANTED to sign your log. Why would you want someone to sign your log that doesn't really want to and are begrudding the fact they HAVE to. There log wont be genuine and will probably just be a mess. Geocaching is what it is, its a game that we all enjoy in our own way. Some ppl like the thrill of collecting a coin or trading something really cool and others just like the fact that they could even FIND the cache. It is what you make it, so please dont ruin other ppls games, play your own game and dont worry about other ppl.

I totally agree with Konnarock Kid & Marge. This is a game!! You play how YOU want to play. Who are we to go around deleting other ppl's finds because they didnt sign the book. WHO CARES! If to you its important to sign the log then sign it. If you dont want to sign then don't. Yes you may have put that cache out there, but you put it out there for others to ENJOY! Dont go around ruining the game for other ppl. I think its rude to go around deleting his progress, who are you... your not geocaching police. If you dont like the fact that ppl arent signing your 1 dollar log book then maybe you need to re evaluate whats really important here. The fact that geo caching gets ppl out, its fun and those who do sign the log WANTED to sign your log. Why would you want someone to sign your log that doesn't really want to and are begrudding the fact they HAVE to. There log wont be genuine and will probably just be a mess. Geocaching is what it is, its a game that we all enjoy in our own way. Some ppl like the thrill of collecting a coin or trading something really cool and others just like the fact that they could even FIND the cache. It is what you make it, so please dont ruin other ppls games, play your own game and dont worry about other ppl.

I'd agree with your post. Except for two things in this particuliar case. First, the guy is making his non-signing of logbooks an issue in his profile and logs. He's almost daring people to delete his logs.

Secondly, it's looking more and more like the guy has never left Germany, and all the logs are bogus anyways. :blink:

Well, I have to respond to this one.

I totally agree with Konnarock Kid & Marge. This is a game!! You play how YOU want to play. Who are we to go around deleting other ppl's finds because they didnt sign the book. WHO CARES!

Well, obviously, a lot of people care. And it's even laid out in the geocaching rules.

If to you its important to sign the log then sign it. If you dont want to sign then don't. Yes you may have put that cache out there, but you put it out there for others to ENJOY! Dont go around ruining the game for other ppl. I think its rude to go around deleting his progress, who are you... your not geocaching police.

What progress? Strengthening of his finger muscles by fast clicking and typing while sitting at his computer? It'd be ruder still to let the find stand, and let it mislead people into thinking a missing cache is actually still there. I think you missed that point.

If you dont like the fact that ppl arent signing your 1 dollar log book then maybe you need to re evaluate whats really important here. The fact that geo caching gets ppl out, its fun and those who do sign the log WANTED to sign your log. Why would you want someone to sign your log that doesn't really want to and are begrudding the fact they HAVE to.

Um, because it proves they actually visited the cache? See my point above.

There log wont be genuine and will probably just be a mess. Geocaching is what it is, its a game that we all enjoy in our own way. Some ppl like the thrill of collecting a coin or trading something really cool and others just like the fact that they could even FIND the cache.

Yes, and some people seem to enjoy the fact that if they type words on a computer, they appear on a website! But that's not geocaching. It's typing.

It is what you make it, so please dont ruin other ppls games, play your own game and dont worry about other ppl.