Micros are the only REAL Geocaches!

lrosell

and not only are there no microcaches in this alleyway, there are no active caches within about four miles of that spot! :unsure:

So if you wanted to take a walk and grab a cache, you wouldn't be able to. Assuming you didn't have a car available, and you had very limited free time for caching, would you be grateful if there WERE a cache nearby for you to get, even if it wasn't the greatest cache in the world with a spectacular view?

I didn't post this pic, but it's a cache I found today. (Personally, I think posting the pic ruins the surprise, but I didn't look at the pics before I did the cache.)

518ed486-34ef-4d1b-bbae-98fe8083db5d.jpg

It's called a "Micro Heaven", one of them contains the log.

I don't have anything against Micros, and maybe if you live in an urban area they are a must. I try to avoid micros because I have kids who don't care about them. I've hidden two myself, but they were micros for a reason. Like to draw someone to an interesting place where a traditional cache wouldn't last. A magnetic key holder, in a gaurd rail, behind a Winn Dixie, next to a dumpster, does nothing for me (found that as part of a puzzle cache), but to each their own.

There are boatloads of these types of caches all over the place. I wonder who can take credit for "inventing" them. The best ones are where the film canisters are in a 5-Gallon water bottle such as you would see on a water cooler, so they only come out one or two at a time. :unsure:

and not only are there no microcaches in this alleyway, there are no active caches within about four miles of that spot! :unsure:

So if you wanted to take a walk and grab a cache, you wouldn't be able to. Assuming you didn't have a car available, and you had very limited free time for caching, would you be grateful if there WERE a cache nearby for you to get, even if it wasn't the greatest cache in the world with a spectacular view?

Actually, you are one hundred percent correct :ph34r: , and, as you likely know from my past posts, I am not an anti-lame urban micro hardliner (although I do poke fun at their over-proliferation in some regions at times :ph34r: ), and I freely admit that I have found a few urban micros in my day (and Sue has logged far more than a few!) particularly in my travels to cities and states far from home across the USA. In fact, when I first found the foto of the trash-strewn alleyway near my (soon-to-be-resident) hotel in Petaling Jala yesterday, I found myself wondering slightly wistfully if there were an urban micro hidden there! However, the reality is that there are only about 75 caches in the entire country of Malaysia, and a good number of those have not been found in years, which indicates that they may be MIA.

And, as you can tell from some of my Psycho Urban Cache hides, I am not one of those cachers who feels that every cache must take you to a place with a great view!

:ph34r:

DSCN4090.jpg

2340883984_7e616f557b.jpg

You have made a great point -- every trash-filled alleyway should have at least one micro! And, in much of the USA, thankfully, that is already the case! However, this is not necessarily true in other parts of the world, unfortunately. For example, the following photo:

2627867128_00ebbaef4f_o.jpg

shows the shop-lined trash-filled alleyway located just 300 feet from the hotel in which I will be staying in Petaling Jala, Selangor (near Kuala Lumpur) for the next few weeks (footnote 1) during my upcoming trip to Malaysia, and not only are there no microcaches in this alleyway, there are no active caches within about four miles of that spot! :ph34r: How depressing! :ph34r:

Footnote 1: Well, at least there are 24-hour food stalls and 24-hour shops located within a few hundred feet of my hotel!

The nice thing about Malaysia is that cabs are dirt cheap. You can go 10-15 miles away for 15 ringgits (5 bucks). I was in Penang a month ago and used cabs to get us to some nice caches. Two were micros but I didn't care because the overall experience was well worth the trip. :unsure:

:ph34r:

DSCN4090.jpg

2340883984_7e616f557b.jpg

You have made a great point -- every trash-filled alleyway should have at least one micro! And, in much of the USA, thankfully, that is already the case! However, this is not necessarily true in other parts of the world, unfortunately. For example, the following photo:

2627867128_00ebbaef4f_o.jpg

shows the shop-lined trash-filled alleyway located just 300 feet from the hotel in which I will be staying in Petaling Jala, Selangor (near Kuala Lumpur) for the next few weeks (footnote 1) during my upcoming trip to Malaysia, and not only are there no microcaches in this alleyway, there are no active caches within about four miles of that spot! :ph34r: How depressing! :unsure:

Footnote 1: Well, at least there are 24-hour food stalls and 24-hour shops located within a few hundred feet of my hotel!

The nice thing about Malaysia is that cabs are dirt cheap. You can go 10-15 miles away for 15 ringgits (5 bucks). I was in Penang a month ago and used cabs to get us to some nice caches. Two were micros but I didn't care because the overall experience was well worth the trip. :ph34r:

Exactly, and this is one of many reasons why I refuse to engage in blanket condemnation of urban micros! Incidentally, India is much the same, in that cabs are very cheap, and, in fact, cell phones and cell phone air time is also dirt cheap in India, and even most of the poorest people there seem to have cell phones (which they call "mobile phones")!

Isn't it a little early for switching to personal attacks?

TotemLake is correct. I pulled his statement out of context

Umm... OK. You took something out of context. He recognized your tactic. I agreed with, and sympathized with him, while complimenting you on your restraint, yet this is a personal attack? I guess the old adage really is true: Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean THEY aren't out to get you. :unsure::ph34r:

this is one of many reasons why I refuse to engage in blanket condemnation of urban micros!

Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever met anyone who uttered such blanket statements. You'd think in a game as diverse as ours, someone would feel that way, yet they remain conspicuously absent. Maybe cachers as a whole are just more tolerant than the general populace? Naturally, the absolute lack of such utterances doesn't keep the SDOEL from applying these labels to anyone who suggests that creativity is not necessarily a bad thing.

I leave town for a day and a half and look what happens. Someone references a thread of mine to start a rant thread! Sweet!

And I'll state again that I'm not anti-micro. I found 5 yesterday, as a matter of fact, during a trip from Chattanooga, TN, to Columbia, MS.

I even found a micro cache that had been found earlier by Snoogans (I sometimes scan the names in the paper log to see if I recognize any).

I leave town for a day and a half and look what happens. Someone references a thread of mine to start a rant thread! Sweet!

And I'll state again that I'm not anti-micro. I found 5 yesterday, as a matter of fact, during a trip from Chattanooga, TN, to Columbia, MS.

I even found a micro cache that had been found earlier by Snoogans (I sometimes scan the names in the paper log to see if I recognize any).

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself... :unsure:

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself... :ph34r:

B):unsure:

I suspect that its the devil in you that makes you do these things! Or maybe the residual effects of your radiation exposure at Psycho Urban Cache #9 a couple of weeks ago! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:B)

I suspect that its the devil in you that makes you do these things! Or maybe the residual effects of your radiation exposure at Psycho Urban Cache #9 a couple of weeks ago! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:B)

Oh now you tell me... I examined the radiation suit you let me borrow and never did see rips in it. No, I suspect your assessment and analysis must be correct… B)

Oh now you tell me... I examined the radiation suit you let me borrow and never did see rips in it. No, I suspect your assessment and analysis must be correct… B)

Yeh... just one quick correction, as follows: As the cache listing page makes clear, and as I explained to you and your companions the other day, the protective yellow Tyvek bunny suits and hoods which we loan out to hunters of the final stage of Psycho Urban Cache #9 are NOT radiation protective suits, and in fact, other than accidentally blocking almost all alpha radiation and most lower-energy beta radiation, the ONLY real purpose of the suits is to protect your skin and clothing, and your lungs and respiratory system from the large volumes of radioactive dust (which also happens to contain nasty toxic chemicals and to often be infested with hantavirus and the plague as well). In fact, a REAL radiation protective suit, one designed to block higher-energy beta radiation and gamma radiation, would be incredibly heavy and bulky, and they tend to be very cumbersome and very hot to wear. Further, in an environment such as the one where the third/final stage container is located, a setting which exhibits moderately high levels of high-energy beta radiation and of neutron radiation as well, wearing a traditional radiation-protective suit could be suicidal, as the thin layers of lead shielding in the suit "armor" would convert much of the high-energy beta and neutron radiation into forms of radiation which would be far more harmful.

Hope this helps to clarify matters a bit!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
I agreed with, and sympathized with him, while complimenting you on your restraint, yet this is a personal attack?

You abandoned the discussion in favor of a sideways criticism of my personality.

You meant it as a compliment? Well, if you say so.

The quote:

Don't feel bad. Considering the source, I'd say he treated you tamely. :unsure:

My translation: “You’re lucky. KBI is usually really really mean to the rest of us.”

Your translation: “Please allow me to compliment and praise your gentle use of debate tactics, KBI”

You call it paranoia on my part. I call it a personal attack. It doesn’t matter; I am greatly amused, but I am not offended. I only wish you would drop the personal stuff and return to the previous interesting discussion.

I am still standing by and waiting for you to convince me that publicly ridiculing the owners of caches which fail to meet your minimum entertainment requirement qualifies as “promoting” whatever it is that you think would make you happy.

I am still waiting for you to convince me that your derisive comments will somehow shame hiders of so-called “lame” caches into modifying their hides so as to to meet your approval.

I am still waiting to be convinced that making fun of other people’s tastes in caching will convince them that not only is your taste superior to theirs, but that your condescending sarcasm will make them want to immediately abandon their current preferences in favor of yours.

I stand patiently ready, with an open mind, to be persuaded. Good luck!

Nanos, micros, and ammo boxes are ALL REAL geocaches.

Is this thread done now? :unsure:

Couldn't agree more, but geocaching started with a big bucket in the woods so ammo boxes and other containers hidden alike are ORIGINAL geocaches, micros came along later but i still enjoy the odd micro.

Nanos, micros, and ammo boxes are ALL REAL geocaches.

Is this thread done now? :unsure:

Couldn't agree more, but geocaching started with a big bucket in the woods so ammo boxes and other containers hidden alike are ORIGINAL geocaches, micros came along later but i still enjoy the odd micro.

The caches without food in them that came along later were a big hit too.

Hmmm, from what I have heard and read, the 'original stash' may have been large but it was right next to the road. I've been told that the plaque that is there now is less than 30 feet from turnout parking. It might as well have been a micro.

I've not been there myself so I am simply basing my knowledge on hearsay. :unsure::ph34r:

i really look forward to finding something OTHER than micors and nanos. ugh. its so much more fun to go and actually have stuff to trade out, rather than just singing a log book. booooooring. and the kids hate them worse than i do. give 'em swag i say. for me, the excitement comes from going to a new location and seeing something i would otherwise not have seen or experienced. i by pass nanos and micros whenever possible.

i really look forward to finding something OTHER than micors and nanos. ugh. its so much more fun to go and actually have stuff to trade out, rather than just singing a log book. booooooring. and the kids hate them worse than i do. give 'em swag i say. for me, the excitement comes from going to a new location and seeing something i would otherwise not have seen or experienced. i by pass nanos and micros whenever possible.

Pocket Query filters are your friend. You can cache and never see another one... ever.

Of course, PQ filters can't keep you from hiding those caches you seem to dislike so much. :blink:

Edited by Mushtang

Pocket Query filters are your friend. You can cache and never see another one... ever.

Of course, PQ filters can't keep you from hiding those caches you seem to dislike so much. :blink:

It’s amazing, isn’t it?

It’s amazing how often the people who complain about finding micros turn out to be the very same people who are hiding micros.

Why is that? :(

Of course, PQ filters can't keep you from hiding those caches you seem to dislike so much. :(

It’s amazing, isn’t it?

It’s amazing how often the people who complain about finding micros turn out to be the very same people who are hiding micros.

Why is that? :(

Why does everyone get their profile investigated? :D I remember one time someone found logs where Kit Fox was caching in front of a taco stand. :blink:

Aborgast's micros sound pretty good though, I'd find them for sure. To explain, us so-called "micro-haters" didn't just form our opinions the very first time we saw a film canister under a lamp skirt. When keyholders on random guardrails for no other reason than being keyholders on random guardrails first started showing up in my area in 2005, I certainly found them. And worse yet, I myself once hid a dead-end street micro. :D

I have not, however, cached in front of Taco Bell. :D

Aborgast's micros sound pretty good ...

Not according to arbogast:

i really look forward to finding something OTHER than micors and nanos. ugh. its so much more fun to go and actually have stuff to trade out, rather than just singing a log book. booooooring. and the kids hate them worse than i do. give 'em swag i say. ... i by pass nanos and micros whenever possible.

Of course, PQ filters can't keep you from hiding those caches you seem to dislike so much. :(

It’s amazing, isn’t it?

Why is that? :D

Why does everyone get their profile investigated?

At this point it's almost something I look at to see how many micros the micro haters own, not to see IF they own any. I didn't look at theirs until I'd posted first, and then decided to edit and add the second part after I looked at their hides for the fun of it.
:D I remember one time someone found logs where Kit Fox was caching in front of a taco stand. :blink:
This would be something I'd make a note of too if he'd just said that he hated caching in front of a taco stand, that his kids hated it, and he was posting in an anti-taco stand cache thread.
Aborgast's micros sound pretty good though, I'd find them for sure.
Me too. But then again I'm not in an anti-micro thread posting about how horrible micros are.
To explain, us so-called "micro-haters" didn't just form our opinions the very first time we saw a film canister under a lamp skirt. When keyholders on random guardrails for no other reason than being keyholders on random guardrails first started showing up in my area in 2005, I certainly found them. And worse yet, I myself once hid a dead-end street micro. :D
Fair enough. But if I had hidden a night time only cache and then years later realized that I hated them, my kids hated them, and I felt strongly enough about it to actually post in an anti-night cache thread about it, I'd think I would have long since gotten rid of this embarrassing cache so nobody else would have to be subjected to it.
Oh yeah? What about this log of yours back in September of 2003???? :(
Aborgast's micros sound pretty good ...

Not according to arbogast:

i really look forward to finding something OTHER than micors and nanos. ugh. its so much more fun to go and actually have stuff to trade out, rather than just singing a log book. booooooring. and the kids hate them worse than i do. give 'em swag i say. ... i by pass nanos and micros whenever possible.

Yeah, I guess I'll let him explain. In the meantime, I'm going to see if Clan Riffster has ever cached at Taco Bell. :( I'll strongly agree with the kids not liking micros though, mine certainly wants swag at every cache. But someone always comes along and says their kids love lifting up skirts in the Wal-Mart parking lot. :blink:

It’s amazing, isn’t it?

Why is that? :D

Why does everyone get their profile investigated?

At this point it's almost something I look at to see how many micros the micro haters own, not to see IF they own any. I didn't look at theirs until I'd posted first, and then decided to edit and add the second part after I looked at their hides for the fun of it.
:D I remember one time someone found logs where Kit Fox was caching in front of a taco stand. :blink:
This would be something I'd make a note of too if he'd just said that he hated caching in front of a taco stand, that his kids hated it, and he was posting in an anti-taco stand cache thread.
Aborgast's micros sound pretty good though, I'd find them for sure.
Me too. But then again I'm not in an anti-micro thread posting about how horrible micros are.
To explain, us so-called "micro-haters" didn't just form our opinions the very first time we saw a film canister under a lamp skirt. When keyholders on random guardrails for no other reason than being keyholders on random guardrails first started showing up in my area in 2005, I certainly found them. And worse yet, I myself once hid a dead-end street micro. :D
Fair enough. But if I had hidden a night time only cache and then years later realized that I hated them, my kids hated them, and I felt strongly enough about it to actually post in an anti-night cache thread about it, I'd think I would have long since gotten rid of this embarrassing cache so nobody else would have to be subjected to it.
Oh yeah? What about this log of yours back in September of 2003???? :(

Oh crud, we were posting at the same time. Nope, you didn't get me. I know this because there were no caches at Taco Bell in 2003. At least not where I come from.

This is all in good fun by the way, I've looked at many a poster's profile. :D

Why does everyone get their profile investigated? ...
'Profile investigations' are handy to check to see if someone is being disingenuous.

"ALR caches should be banned" is a strange post to come from an ALR owner, isn't it?

"I always ignore micros" is a strange post from someone with twenty micro finds in the prior week.

"Micros are horrible" is a strange post to come from someone who owns micro caches.

"Multilogging events is wrong" is a strange post from someone who has multilogged events.

"Log only micros are ruining the game" is a strange post from someone who sells micro containers.

When posts appear to contradict reality, it is fair to mention the contradiction. The person 'being investigated' is certainly free to then explain why this is not really a contradiction.

Why does everyone get their profile investigated? ...
'Profile investigations' are handy to check to see if someone is being disingenuous.

"ALR caches should be banned" is a strange post to come from an ALR owner, isn't it?

"I always ignore micros" is a strange post from someone with twenty micro finds in the prior week.

"Micros are horrible" is a strange post to come from someone who owns micro caches.

"Multilogging events is wrong" is a strange post from someone who has multilogged events.

"Log only micros are ruining the game" is a strange post from someone who sells micro containers.

When posts appear to contradict reality, it is fair to mention the contradiction. The person 'being investigated' is certainly free to then explain why this is not really a contradiction.

Yes, but isn't it stipulated upon purchase that those micro containers are only to be used for legs of multi-caches, with an ammo box at the end? :blink:

Man, I'm glad you guys never got me on anything.

By the way, I was bored. Clan Riffster finds Mall parking lot nano :(:(:D:D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Jeeez. Ya gotta love an angst-filled Monday.

Herewith is my one and only ever ever attempt to defend micros: Sometimes they actually do take one to interesting places that are easy to get to. This all goes back to the quality of the hide - same as any tupperware container or ammo can. Good spot/good camo = interesting hide. Doesn't matter what the size of the cache is if it's an interesting hide.

While I do prefer larger caches, I'm currently limited to the amount of climbing/hiking I can do and if I need a caching fix, an interesting flatland micro beats the heck out of nothing.

While I don't think I've ever found a cache at a Taco Bell, that's probably only because no one around here has hidden one. Off the top of my head, I can recall cache finds at Wally World, Target, Burger King, 7-11, Big Lots, Ace Hardware, and half a dozen other commercial locations. Heck, I even own a cache which is a film can stuffed under a lamp post in a Wally World parking lot: ALWAYS Lame :(

Before you peruse my profile, it's important to realize that my wife and I have rather divergent tastes in caches. I like the swamps, she likes Suburbia. When she accompanies me on cache hunts, it is quite likely that we'll be hunting for those caches that fall outside my personal aesthetic preferences. We have a family account, so the drivel shows up along side the superb. :blink:

Edited by Clan Riffster

While I don't think I've ever found a cache at a Taco Bell, that's probably only because no one around here has hidden one. Off the top of my head, I can recall cache finds at Wally World, Target, Burger King, 7-11, Big Lots, Ace Hardware, and half a dozen other commercial locations. Heck, I even own a cache which is a film can stuffed under a lamp post in a Wally World parking lot: ALWAYS Lame :(

Before you peruse my profile, it's important to realize that my wife and I have rather divergent tastes in caches. I like the swamps, she likes Suburbia. When she accompanies me on cache hunts, it is quite likely that we'll be hunting for those caches that fall outside my personal aesthetic preferences. We have a family account, so the drivel shows up along side the superb. :blink:

Oh, just clowning on you CR. Which makes that post above yours about "Angst-filled Monday" even more curious. No Angst here. Interesting, Big Lots micros, but no Taco Bell. I'm going to get a Chalupa.

...The real challenge is to with stealth, planning and courage retrieve a nano hidden in a fire hydrant outside any give Starbucks without the present muggles even realizing what just happened....

The real problem isn't the retreive. It's the look for it phase where you

a) Look like a complete dork or

:blink: Look like a suspect or perv.

A isn't a problem if that's what you like.

B is the kicker.

I'm still waiting for the feature that will let us completely remove all hides from certain cachers from our online nearest caches and cache maps the same way that Waymarking lets you hide entire categories of waymarks. By the way, is there a parking lot waymark category? If not, I wonder why.... :blink:

Heck if you make the micro small enough, it is a Waymark. Apparently Waymarking really is the way of the future.