Possible caches

alien88

I know that commercial caches aren't allowed, but would placing caches which are sponsored by a public university on their property, but maintained by a student and a staff member be considered a 'commercial' cache?

Thanks!

I can't say, but I think it is more a commercial business rather then a "sponsored" cache.

I would email your reviewer. As long as its not advertising, or is it? Just email them and ask.

Asking here will get you a 100 different answers. Most of which will be WRONG.

There are a few caches out there that have been placed by local parks and recreation groups or tourism groups trying to attract people to a specific area and by elementary schools teaching children about GPS, etc., so this could potentially be approved ... probably depends on the nature of the cache itself (i.e. is it "advertising" the university or is it merely being "approved" for placement by them).

Best bet, as others have said, is to run it by your reviewer -- perhaps provide them with a proposed writeup so they can approach Groundspeak if necessary to get clarification.

Thanks. Is there an easy way to figure out who the reviewer is for my area?

Yep, have a look at some recently published, nearby caches, scroll to the bottom of the logs (you may have to click "There are more logs. View them all on one page") and you'll see the publication log (green circle icon). The user that posted the publication log is the/one of the local reviewer(s).

edit silly spelling...

edit 2: don't use an Earthcache to determine the reviewer since they're done by a different person.

Edited by JeremyR

I know that commercial caches aren't allowed, but would placing caches which are sponsored by a public university on their property, but maintained by a student and a staff member be considered a 'commercial' cache?

Thanks!

More than a few caches in and around the ASU campus here, and also a few on the campusessessses of some of the local community colleges.

I'd say permission from someone in authority would be the major hurdle, but it sounds like you already have that.

Asking your local reviewer should remove any doubts.