Software update for the Garmin Oregon

Yes, Garmin has an update for the Oregon, available via WebUpdater.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

Take that, everyone (like me) who's waiting for fixes/features to the Colorado.

And for those of you having trouble with the AC in your 2007 Golf, VW has a fix -- for the 2010 model. :rolleyes:

I guess now we know why the last two Colorado updates were "beta"... we're beta testing fixes for the Oregon! LOL!

And for those of you having trouble with the AC in your 2007 Golf, VW has a fix -- for the 2010 model. :rolleyes:

I guess now we know why the last two Colorado updates were "beta"... we're beta testing fixes for the Oregon! LOL!

Let us sign a petition since we beta tested the "oregon" aka "colorado" we should get a complimentory Oregon.

;)

Holy freaking crap!! So was the Colorado simply a ploy to get our stimulus package checks? Talk about lousy timing. I normally enjoy having the top of the line gadgets for several months before it is rendered inferior. Since these purchases are few and far between I try to purchase the best I can afford at the time. So now us early adopters will have to sit by and see our gadgets become the redheaded step children before many of the firmware updates reach us.

I really wish they had an upgrade program. This is going to leave a bad taste in many mouths.

What a bunch of s**t! F U Garmin! Magellan hasn't been great in support, but they wouldn't pull this kind of crap! Might have to consider a legit class action suit. First handheld GPS I buy from Garmin and it's a lame duck...arrggghhh.

Edited by ryguyMN

Early adopters are always burned either by price changes , updates, added features etc. One of the prices you pay to get cutting edge stuff (doesn't make it any less painful I know). It seems to me Garmin can't win - they appear to have listened to the complaints on the Colorado as well as feature requests and have produced something that appearred to be wanted. Most notably touch screen, wireless, etc. This is one I'd like to get but will wait until the bug fixes are out. Can't wait tho!!

I agree this is a bunch of BS. I think a class action lawsuit would be a good ideal. Garmin should be forced to fix the CO instead of issuing updates for a unit not yet released. We should all get at least $100 back for all we have been put through. I think we should also start filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Attorney Generals. I really like my CO, but there are many problems with it that should have been fixed long ago.

I feel really left out. I own Lowrance GPSers and all I ever get to do is go caching. They work great, have no issues and I never get to visit the forums and bond with everyone by complaining about all the problems and issues the new Garmin and Magellan units have. :rolleyes:

What a bunch of nonsense in this thread. Garmin puts out a fix for a GPS that NO ONE has yet and you're whining about it? Who cares? Just because they issued a firmware update for the Oregon doesn't mean they've stopped working on the Colorado. In fact, since the Colorado is only 7 months old I'm sure it's VERY high on Garmin's priority list. Chances are the Oregon and the Colorado share a lot of the same code, so improvements to one will equate to improvements to the other. Sure we're all disappointed the Colorado wasn't perfect out of the box or after all the firmware updates to date, but guess what? The Oregon apparently has its issues too or we wouldn't be seeing an update before the product is available to the public. Garmin's already been bitten by the Colorado release, the last thing they need is another stinker of a product launch. I don't blame them one bit for trying to make the Oregon launch better with updated firmware. I'm sure your Colorados will be fixed -- but new product launches are ALWAYS going to take precedence. That's the way corporations work.

I am with DocDitto. I didn't expect that when I bought my Colorado in January that it would be the last Garmin ever developed, so none of this bothers me at all. If you buy a laptop today or a big screen TV today, it is obsolete tomorrow... that is the way technology works! I have cached since January with my Colorado, and like others, have experienced the evolution and steady improvement of the software while finding over 400 caches with it. I have never expected it to be perfect, but it is much better than what I had before and it is continuously improving. I applaud Garmin for getting an even newer and better GPSr on the market, and I trust that they will continue to take care of the progressive improvement of my Colorado in the process. Heck, they still even have an occasional update for my wife's c330, and it is several years obsolete. Keep 'em coming, Garmin, and thanks for being at the cutting edge! I LOVE my Colorado, and at this point would not even consider trading it for the Oregon!

They mentioned updating to software version 2.2. Has anyone found out what the GPS chipset software version is? That may indicate if a different GPS chip is being used? Sli23sli

I am with DocDitto. I didn't expect that when I bought my Colorado in January that it would be the last Garmin ever developed, so none of this bothers me at all. If you buy a laptop today or a big screen TV today, it is obsolete tomorrow... that is the way technology works! I have cached since January with my Colorado, and like others, have experienced the evolution and steady improvement of the software while finding over 400 caches with it. I have never expected it to be perfect, but it is much better than what I had before and it is continuously improving. I applaud Garmin for getting an even newer and better GPSr on the market, and I trust that they will continue to take care of the progressive improvement of my Colorado in the process. Heck, they still even have an occasional update for my wife's c330, and it is several years obsolete. Keep 'em coming, Garmin, and thanks for being at the cutting edge! I LOVE my Colorado, and at this point would not even consider trading it for the Oregon!

Of course everything is obsolete tomorrow, but people are missing the point. The products Garmin is releasing are problematic and they are ignoring these issues to focus on the Oregon. Yes, new products will take precedence, but the problem is that it's too soon for the Oregon. The market doesn't need a new receiver every 6 months, especially with an economic downturn. They are crazy to think it will be a success. Geez, what happened to common sense and sound judgement?

Laptops makers put out BIOS updates and new drivers are still developed long after the computer hits the market. TVs are TVs, they either work or they don't. There aren't a lot of software bugs associated with it. Hell, I would as far to say the Colorado was abandoned BEFORE it hit the store shelves and Garmin rushed it to stores looking to make a buck. The Colorado should have never been released and rather have become vaporware.

Another question I have is who's to say Garmin will ever put out another update for Colorado? They seem to be pretty quiet if you ask me on future updates while they are off trying to perfect the Garmin Puerto Rico, coming in 2015. People have a right to be legitimately concerned. I'm not going to be some kind of lemming who buys every new product Garmin puts out. I hope the Oregon and every future product is a catastrophic failure, so the marketing and R&D teams can get off the crack they are smoking.

Edited by ryguyMN

Of course everything is obsolete tomorrow, but people are missing the point. The products Garmin is releasing are problematic and they are ignoring these issues to focus on the Oregon. Yes, new products will take precedence, but the problem is that it's too soon for the Oregon. The market doesn't need a new receiver every 6 months, especially with an economic downturn. They are crazy to think it will be a success. Geez, what happened to common sense and sound judgement?

I don't think you're in tune with the way products are designed and produced. The Oregon wasn't just created and brought to market in the last 6 months since the Colorado was released. A product development cycle covers years, not months. The Colorado and the Oregon were both being designed, tested, and developed simultaneously -- there's no way a brand new receiver could go from concept to market in 6 months. Garmin needs to launch new units with new technology to remain competitive. They also need to continue to support older units in order to retain a loyal customer following. You have one shot to get a product working right before it goes public so you darn well better do your best to make sure it goes smoothly. I think the Colorado was rushed to market too soon and early adopters felt like (and may still feel like) beta testers. Garmin hasn't forgotten the Colorado, and I'm sure they're aware of and actively working on resolving outstanding issues. That doesn't mean they should terminate all work on new products though. Doing that would be the death of the company. Better to have a viable corporation actively supporting your unit than a defunct company doing nothing at all.

I hope the Oregon and every future product is a catastrophic failure, so the marketing and R&D teams can get off the crack they are smoking.

:huh:

Maybe you should switch to Magellan, I hear they're great with post-sales support. :huh::o

I posted this in another Oregon thread but I think it applies here too. That and it gets it to one more place where I hope Garmin sees it. Oregons are currently waiting to clear customs so REI has started pre-sales.

It would be really nice of Garmin to tell us the actual specs of the Oregon such as what chipset, what type of compass (3 axis would be a huge plus), How much on board memory, etc. I have been looking at the release specs for the PN40 and they have all of that information available, so why can't Garmin? I am curious about the spec of only 1000 waypoints? The Co was already changed to 2000. So this is another step backwards for a new release? That is getting to be a habit unfortunately. I am still pretty disgusted with Garmin over the Co release and lack of actual support. I really hope that they get it right this time. It would also be nice to see that Garmin is standing behind it's products and making some kind of offer to those of us that spent so much time trying to get the Co's to work right. I was going on my third Colorado when I switched over the a 60csx and my wife is still on her second Colorado. All I can say is I am very thankful of REI's return policy so I did not get caught up in having to return the bad ones back to Garmin. So come on Garmin!! step up and tell us what is really going on. Come clean with what the actual problems with the Colorado are and tell us what you are going to do for your customers to make it right. The release of the Oregon is your chance to gain back some respect and I for one hope you make the most of it. As far as I am concerned you owe it to us. End rant and still waiting for ...answers

I don't know why everybody is complaining about an update on the Oregon, for all we know it's only accurate to 200 meters and the touch screen only works when you press it with a hammer... :huh:

I'm sure the Oregon will have its issues a plenty. Welcome to the Microsoft-tamed world where its perfectly acceptable to purchase products that don't work out of the box.

Edited by AV Dezign

I think some people are flying off the handle too soon just because Garmin introduced a touch screen version of the Colorado and calls it Oregon. There are pros and cons for both. Heck, next year Garmin ought to come out with the Virginia that combines both options, includes audible routing, and a higher voltage and capacity battery to solve the poor backlighting issues that will likely plague the Oregon too.

The only plus I can think of for the Oregon right now is that with a pointing device (maybe I could file a nail for this? :huh: ), and if it was otherwise even possible in the mapping software, draw your own cross-country route between waypoints and save it all as a trail. I think this would be much harder to do moving a cursor with a RnR.

Edited by Ratsneve

Are you guys serious? Do you actually believe you deserve an upgrade of some sort to the Oregon? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH too funny.

DocDitto has it right. Please re-read those posts again.

What a bunch of nonsense.

Oregon doesn't look like an upgrade at all. Just a touchscreen. Big deal. In fact I'd be willing to bet the firmware is very very similar between the two with the difference being the touchscreen drivers. I'd further bet that when a firmware update comes out for one, an update for the other will be shortly behind it.

Edited by MorganCoke

My 2 cents.

Well I think that Garmin have no plans to put in the market the Oregon, because they have to explote the I+D, Colorado is the next step of the 60CSx and they need to amortize all the cost of colorado developing and earn money from colorado too, how many time from 60CSx to colorado has past...........That means that from colorado to other we should wait some time but...

But the market goes faster and they want a piece of the touchscreen cake market and they adapt a Garmin Touchscreen GPS with Colorado interface and someway more rugged. And Voila Oregon.

It appears that the Oregon series has more changes than just the addition of the touchscreen...

The Oregon series has +1 hour of battery life over the Colorado, and has the "Hotfix" feature, and someone has stated in a different thread that they think the STM Cartesio GPS chipset is being used in the Oregon. Therefore, while some (much?) software may be shared between the Colorado and Oregon series, there does appear to be hardware changes, and not just with the touchscreen addition.

The Colorado (and Vista H-series) "drift" (or "location error") behavior is a significant problem in mountainous / forested terrain (and maybe elsewhere?). This is apparently due to the MTK GPS chipset used in those devices, or a combination of the 2.6 firmware with that chipset, or due to blah blah. (Just covering all bases.)

For me, the "location error" problem is reason enough to try the Oregon to see if it behaves much better than the Colorado series.

J

Edited by jmedlock