How far does "Earth" go?

Juicepig

I was thinking about putting together an Earthcache based on the sudbury Neutrino observatory.

While a normal observatory wouldn't warrant an earthcache, I think this one might simply because the Observatory is 6800 feet under ground, and requires a dense layer of rock above it in order to properly observe the neutrinos..

Interesting yes... but they probably wouldn't let you anywhere near it :lol: ..

Could I qualify this as an earthcache? (I am thinking yes)

Could anyone think of someway of getting logging requirements? Civilians aren't allowed into the mine, or near the observatory..

Maybe you could talk about how the observatory needs a type of rock to be based in that will only let neutrons through.

Its just a thought.

As of right now, old growth forests don't count as earthcaches, even though they are an important part of earthsience.

I was thinking about putting together an Earthcache based on the sudbury Neutrino observatory.

While a normal observatory wouldn't warrant an earthcache, I think this one might simply because the Observatory is 6800 feet under ground, and requires a dense layer of rock above it in order to properly observe the neutrinos..

Interesting yes... but they probably wouldn't let you anywhere near it :D ..

Could I qualify this as an earthcache? (I am thinking yes)

Could anyone think of someway of getting logging requirements? Civilians aren't allowed into the mine, or near the observatory..

I am thinking no...

My gut feel.

Why was the observatory placed in this specific location - depth of rock - single rock type - lack of seismic activity - possible precision and stability (lack of weathering etc.)?

But more about the rock and landforms - with the observatory being almost an "aside" and not the focus of the EC.

Perhaps it defeats the object of having an EC there - but I suppose I'd ask the question - would there be an earthcache potential here without the observatory? Or is the observatory here because of specific properties of the earth.

You might want to consider taking the wider view and focus on the mine instead of the lab.

It's located in an underground nickel mine--one of the deepest in Canada. Topside all there is to see are some buildings. I don't see anything that says there was anything unique about the site that made it perfect for the lab--it was just a deep section of the mine that wasn't being used any longer.

There is a marker for the ghost town of Ceighton Mine. That may be acccessible to the public.

From the wiki article:

Creighton Mine

Marker stone at former site of Creighton Mine.Creighton Mine, also known as simply Creighton, is a ghost town located near the intersection of Municipal Road 24 and Highway 144. The community, established in 1900 as an Inco company town, took its name from the geographic township in which it is located, which was named by the province of Ontario in the 1880s for MPP David Creighton.

In 1986, the town was closed down. INCO deemed the cost of service upgrades (water, sewer, etc.) to be prohibitive, and all of the town's homes and businesses were torn down or moved to Lively. The historic paymaster's cabin from Creighton was moved to the Anderson Farm Museum. A few streets, sidewalks and building foundations can still be found in the area. A monument, shown at right, was also placed in the community.

Creighton Mine is the largest Ontario community to have become a ghost town, although the mine itself is still operational. The mine is also the site of the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory.

The day after the lab was officially turned off there was an earthquake that affected the SNO chamber, and damaged the equipment there. The chamber is being revamped now for the SNO+ phase of experiments. There is a "video tour" of the SNO facility at Science North Sudbury's interactive science centre. (If there isn't already an earthcache at Science North, it needs one, too, by the way).

You might want to consider taking the wider view and focus on the mine instead of the lab.

It's located in an underground nickel mine--one of the deepest in Canada. Topside all there is to see are some buildings. I don't see anything that says there was anything unique about the site that made it perfect for the lab--it was just a deep section of the mine that wasn't being used any longer.

There is a marker for the ghost town of Ceighton Mine. That may be acccessible to the public.

From the wiki article:

Creighton Mine

Marker stone at former site of Creighton Mine.Creighton Mine, also known as simply Creighton, is a ghost town located near the intersection of Municipal Road 24 and Highway 144. The community, established in 1900 as an Inco company town, took its name from the geographic township in which it is located, which was named by the province of Ontario in the 1880s for MPP David Creighton.

In 1986, the town was closed down. INCO deemed the cost of service upgrades (water, sewer, etc.) to be prohibitive, and all of the town's homes and businesses were torn down or moved to Lively. The historic paymaster's cabin from Creighton was moved to the Anderson Farm Museum. A few streets, sidewalks and building foundations can still be found in the area. A monument, shown at right, was also placed in the community.

Creighton Mine is the largest Ontario community to have become a ghost town, although the mine itself is still operational. The mine is also the site of the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory.

The day after the lab was officially turned off there was an earthquake that affected the SNO chamber, and damaged the equipment there. The chamber is being revamped now for the SNO+ phase of experiments. There is a "video tour" of the SNO facility at Science North Sudbury's interactive science centre. (If there isn't already an earthcache at Science North, it needs one, too, by the way).

This is a much better angle, well done! However, the coordinates still need to lead a cacher to an interesting area. Is that possible if this mine is closed to the public?.. food for thought.