Campfires in the UK

OK, so given that you're all constantly out and about I thought I might pick your brains!

I'm planning to take a brief camping trip in early August (well, more of a boys night away from the wives to drink too much without fear of reprisal!). Given that a few of the party will be leaving heavily pregnant wives at home for the trip, it can't be too far away.

One of the criteria for where we stay is that we can have a small campfire - which pretty much rules out campsites! You can imagine the picture - four aging men sat around the fire, burning sausages and singing cum-by-yar. On second thoughts, you might not want to picture it!

So, does anyone know of anything that would fit the following bill?

Within the radius of Marlborough - about 1 hours drive - as far west as Bath, as far North as Cheltenham, as far east as slough or as far south as Salisbury/Blandford Forum. If it's a scenic place that would be a bonus

Allows campfires.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? All comment gratefully received! Oh, and if there are a number of cache sites nearby that would be even better! :lol:

Edited by HarvardTaylor

Yes

Camp on or near a beach. Campfires on beaches are generally more acceptable (though the rules about tidying up still apply)

Or, buy a brazier and raise your campfire off the ground. Put something underneath (such as a board) to stop ash from landing on the grass. I often go camping and we usually have a fire. My mate, who has metal working skills, built a square fire tray on legs which raise it 14" off the ground, so we have our fire in that and do not do any damage.

When we are camping we love barbies.. Which are allowed on most campsites.

We use those cheapish BBQ's with the two trays that you can adjust the height. We use charcoal not the briquetts. Once the grub is scoffed we shift the trays an dump more charcoal on the barbie. A bag usually lasts the night, it gets mad hot and is ideal fer yer marshmallows :lol:

You can also buy peat logs which aint bad either..

Moss T