Garmin Mobile 10 for Smartphones

Has anyone geocached using the Garmin Mobile 10 for Smartphones?

It is compatible with a lot of smartphones.

It comes with City Navigator maps and does not cost that much more than new maps....

I use the Garmin Mobile XT (I think that's the current version) for Windows Mobile with built-in GPSr (AT&T Tilt) - works great for auto routing! I never use my 60cs for that any more.

It is. The Mobile 10 is the same thing but it also includes a small external bluetooth SirfStarIII GPS for those smartphones that don't have a built in GPS.

So how well does it work for geocaching?

It seems like it would also work for Wherigo caches....

Edited by TrailGators

It comes with City Navigator maps and does not cost that much more than new maps....

I use the Garmin Mobile XT (I think that's the current version) for Windows Mobile with built-in GPSr (AT&T Tilt) - works great for auto routing! I never use my 60cs for that any more.

It is. The Mobile 10 is the same thing but it also includes a small external bluetooth SirfStarIII GPS for those smartphones that don't have a built in GPS.

Oh, interesting - I see that now on the page I linked to. My experience is it does not work well for geocaching, mainly because the arrows in the software I use (cachemate, beelinegps) do not respond quickly enough while you are approaching the cache. You could walk right by and it's still pointing in front of you. I sort of ran out of time for geocaching in general and geocaching with the Tilt particularly and haven't explored it further. That might not be the case with the external GPSr and there are tools for adjusting SIRF settigns that might help. I hope others chime in with better results. :lol:

Oh, interesting - I see that now on the page I linked to. My experience is it does not work well for geocaching, mainly because the arrows in the software I use (cachemate, beelinegps) do not respond quickly enough while you are approaching the cache. You could walk right by and it's still pointing in front of you. I sort of ran out of time for geocaching in general and geocaching with the Tilt particularly and haven't explored it further. That might not be the case with the external GPSr and there are tools for adjusting SIRF settigns that might help. I hope others chime in with better results. :lol:

Does the Tilt come with a Sirf chip? If it doesn't, that may be part of the reason that it is slow....

Does the Tilt come with a Sirf chip? If it doesn't, that may be part of the reason that it is slow....

Yeah, no SIRF chip as far as I know. :D But, there is a "firmware" update out there I haven't tried yet, so maybe things will change?
Here is a good article that compares the SirfStarIII against the Qualcomm gpsONE which is what the Tilt uses. The SirfStarIII is still the king. The good news is it is possible to buy just the bluetooth SirfStarIII receiver if it works much better for geocaching. It's really not that expensive. However, I'm still curious to hear from someone that has used this GPS receiver for geocaching.... Edited by TrailGators

I use Moble XT with the Garmin 10X bluetooth GPSr on my Windows Moble 5 cell phone. It works GREAT for caching and road nav with voice turn prompts. I have cachemate PPC installed as well and use the cachenav plugin to find GZ. It does react slowly, but as long as you slow down as you get close it keeps up just fine.

The 10x can be purchesed as an OEM device for under $100. Mobile XT can be downloaded from Garmin for free. The system supports ALL Garmin (and compatable) maps.

As a side note I recently switched this setup from the Palm version of both the above software so I could combine all my dvices into one (Cell, Camera, GPS, email...) But it worked just fine on the Palm version too.

Here is a good article that compares the SirfStarIII against the Qualcomm gpsONE which is what the Tilt uses. The SirfStarIII is still the king. The good news is it is possible to buy just the bluetooth SirfStarIII receiver if it works much better for geocaching. It's really not that expensive. However, I'm still curious to hear from someone that has used this GPS receiver for geocaching....

I have the Garmin GPS10x and use it somewhat for Geocaching...

I have the bluetooth GPSr "puck" and I have it associated with my Windows Mobile 5 PDA (HP iPaq hx2495 IRC). I use the Garmin Mobile XT software for mapping and street routing. I also use Cachemate. In Cachemate, I "acquire" my current position using the GPSr, and then sort caches on distance from my current location. I have tried to use CacheNav in Cachemate, but not seriously yet, as I also have a Garmin Colorado GPSr that I use.

The Garmin Mobile XT does not have a "geocaching mode", but it that doesn't mean it can't be used. You can load your geocaches as Custom POI's and also set the unit to not "lock on roads". At that point, it should work for routing you to the caches. It might help to load maps (City Nav NT or Topo or both) so that you have a better idea of where you are and where you are going, because the Mobile XT software has limited basemap data just like all GPSr's.

The Garmin Mobile XT does not have a "geocaching mode", but it that doesn't mean it can't be used. You can load your geocaches as Custom POI's and also set the unit to not "lock on roads". At that point, it should work for routing you to the caches. It might help to load maps (City Nav NT or Topo or both) so that you have a better idea of where you are and where you are going, because the Mobile XT software has limited basemap data just like all GPSr's.

Mobile XT will read GPX files as waypoints (1000), just rename the GPX file to current.gpx and store it in the \Garmin\GPX folder, then re-start Mobile XT, and all the caches show on the map as little treasure chests (or parking markers, trailheads, etc). It also supposts the "unlimited" poi feature common on all Garmin units.

Cachemate records found or dnf, and allows you to log in the field for later tranfer to GC.COM.

Cachenav does the little arrow, XT shows a map with the cache on it

I wonder what "geocaching" mode is missing?

I use Moble XT with the Garmin 10X bluetooth GPSr on my Windows Moble 5 cell phone. It works GREAT for caching and road nav with voice turn prompts. I have cachemate PPC installed as well and use the cachenav plugin to find GZ. It does react slowly, but as long as you slow down as you get close it keeps up just fine.

The 10x can be purchesed as an OEM device for under $100. Mobile XT can be downloaded from Garmin for free. The system supports ALL Garmin (and compatable) maps.

As a side note I recently switched this setup from the Palm version of both the above software so I could combine all my dvices into one (Cell, Camera, GPS, email...) But it worked just fine on the Palm version too.

The free version only comes with base maps, but I guess you really don't have to have maps.

If you stick your phone in your pocket does a voice come out of your pocket stating that you are 30 feet away? :rolleyes:

Maybe someday they'll let you tap your bluetooth headset so you can say "Hint please!" ;)

I have my maps loaded, purchased seperatly on disc. and loaded throgh the PC. Just like any other garmin unit. I use the same mapset on my (now backup) Legend CX.

No there is no voice prompt once off road is used. Only roads are spoken outloud. I did write a program for the Palm application that beeped for (I am in Canada) 500, 250, 100, 50, 20, 10, and "hepe" meters from the cache, the tone of the beep told me how far I was away. This funtionality is not yet available for me to add it to the PPC yet (Cachemate plugin SDK). I sure miss this feature as hiking in, and pulling out the unit to check how far every now and them is a pain. But at least with the 10X, the cell phone can be deap in my pocket, and I still have great GPS coverage.

Actually voice is quite close, you can program voice prompts to run applications, but not functions within an application (cachemate has the hints). But once you are tired of looking, a few clicks brings them up.

I have my maps loaded, purchased seperatly on disc. and loaded throgh the PC. Just like any other garmin unit. I use the same mapset on my (now backup) Legend CX.

No there is no voice prompt once off road is used. Only roads are spoken outloud. I did write a program for the Palm application that beeped for (I am in Canada) 500, 250, 100, 50, 20, 10, and "hepe" meters from the cache, the tone of the beep told me how far I was away. This funtionality is not yet available for me to add it to the PPC yet (Cachemate plugin SDK). I sure miss this feature as hiking in, and pulling out the unit to check how far every now and them is a pain. But at least with the 10X, the cell phone can be deap in my pocket, and I still have great GPS coverage.

Actually voice is quite close, you can program voice prompts to run applications, but not functions within an application (cachemate has the hints). But once you are tired of looking, a few clicks brings them up.

Now Garmin limits you to one unlock code per GPS with the new DVDs. The new Mobile 10 bundle comes with the GPS receiver and the latest maps on an sd card for ~$170, which is a good deal. I think you are allowed to move the sd card from one GPS to another, but I'm not 100% sure about this. I assume you can load the maps on your PC from the sd card too, which I would definitely want to be able to do.

It is nice having your hands completely free to record the tracks while you are hiking. I typically try to guess where the cache is if I'm within eyeshot of it and then pull out my GPS when I'm really close. It's amazing how good you get get at estimating distances once you've done this for awhile. :rolleyes:

The maps on the SD card, as far as I know, still have the unlock code, so will only work with the correct 10x, on any PPC. There is no mapsource installer and the files are in the gps format not the mapsource format so no you can not move them to the PC this way. Mobile XT comes on the card, but installs to the PPC main memory on first run.

The 10X does allow unlock codes to be applied to it, so I would buy the 10x and the map product seperatly, then you get the PC maps, and can move what ever segments you want to the PPC card. Mobile XT id free download as long as a Garmin unit is connected to it.

I have Topo Canada (no unlock), Metro Guide Canada (no unlock), and City Navigator 2009 (unlock for 10X), as well as some free maps not made by Garmin.

The maps on the SD card, as far as I know, still have the unlock code, so will only work with the correct 10x, on any PPC. There is no mapsource installer and the files are in the gps format not the mapsource format so no you can not move them to the PC this way. Mobile XT comes on the card, but installs to the PPC main memory on first run.

The 10X does allow unlock codes to be applied to it, so I would buy the 10x and the map product seperatly, then you get the PC maps, and can move what ever segments you want to the PPC card. Mobile XT id free download as long as a Garmin unit is connected to it.

I have Topo Canada (no unlock), Metro Guide Canada (no unlock), and City Navigator 2009 (unlock for 10X), as well as some free maps not made by Garmin.

Thanks. In that case the DVD is the way to go. I could always try the free version of Mobile XT with an old copy of Metroguide that I own to see how I liked caching with the 10X (~$80). I really don't even need maps to cache because I'm typically hiking anyhow.
Here is a good article that compares the SirfStarIII against the Qualcomm gpsONE which is what the Tilt uses. The SirfStarIII is still the king. The good news is it is possible to buy just the bluetooth SirfStarIII receiver if it works much better for geocaching. It's really not that expensive. However, I'm still curious to hear from someone that has used this GPS receiver for geocaching....

That is an interesting article, but the GPSR in the Tilt is much better than that article would indicate. Sitting still, Google Maps nails my phone's position perfectly. Garmin XT routes perfectly. I think the problem with using it for Geocaching has to do with some setting related to how often it updates it's position when you are not moving above a certain speed. I think as you slow down, it updates less frequently. Just speculating, but that's what it appears. I can get the geocaches into it easily with POI Loader even as proximity alerts (as long as they are close enough to the road). But, what I want in a caching GPSr is what my 60cs does, show all the caches on the map. In my perfect world, Garmin would add a geocacihng mode to the Mobile XT software and Qualcomm would add a tool to adjust whatever setting I need to adjust to make it more sensitive at slower speeds. The one good thing is I only paid $70 for the card. The bad thing is I overwrote my maps with my topo maps from MapSource and had to buy a new card. :rolleyes: BTW, to someone else, I don't have a "lock on roads" setting.

... Garmin XT routes perfectly. I think the problem with using it for Geocaching has to do with some setting related to how often it updates it's position when you are not moving above a certain speed. I think as you slow down, it updates less frequently. Just speculating, but that's what it appears. I can get the geocaches into it easily with POI Loader even as proximity alerts (as long as they are close enough to the road). But, what I want in a caching GPSr is what my 60cs does, show all the caches on the map. In my perfect world, Garmin would add a geocacihng mode to the Mobile XT software and Qualcomm would add a tool to adjust whatever setting I need to adjust to make it more sensitive at slower speeds. The one good thing is I only paid $70 for the card. The bad thing is I overwrote my maps with my topo maps from MapSource and had to buy a new card. :rolleyes: BTW, to someone else, I don't have a "lock on roads" setting.

In Mobile XT, Settings, Map, Show Position = change to "At GPS Location" instead of the default "On Roads"

This *MAY* fix both the slowness issue and the off road issue. The Garmin 10x does not have a slowness issue as I use it. It updates the position every 1 second, no matter how fast I am moving.

Like I said earlier in this thread, Mobile XT does show the symbols on the map, just rename your GPX file to "CURRENT.GPX" and active sync it into the \Garmin\GPX folder then re-start MobileXT, it will load up to 1000 of them and show the correct symbols for the caches and the additional waypoints. I actually use GSAK to create the GPX file as I like the ability to change the names and descrition to suite my needs, but I have loaded GPX files from PQ and fromthe web page download and they have worked just fine.

PS: The "Send to GPS" feature of the cache pages also works with Mobile XT when used through the Active Sync partnered PC.

That is an interesting article, but the GPSR in the Tilt is much better than that article would indicate. Sitting still, Google Maps nails my phone's position perfectly. Garmin XT routes perfectly. I think the problem with using it for Geocaching has to do with some setting related to how often it updates it's position when you are not moving above a certain speed. I think as you slow down, it updates less frequently. Just speculating, but that's what it appears. I can get the geocaches into it easily with POI Loader even as proximity alerts (as long as they are close enough to the road). But, what I want in a caching GPSr is what my 60cs does, show all the caches on the map. In my perfect world, Garmin would add a geocacihng mode to the Mobile XT software and Qualcomm would add a tool to adjust whatever setting I need to adjust to make it more sensitive at slower speeds. The one good thing is I only paid $70 for the card. The bad thing is I overwrote my maps with my topo maps from MapSource and had to buy a new card. :rolleyes: BTW, to someone else, I don't have a "lock on roads" setting.
I can't vouch for the article. I do know that the calculation gets more accurate with the more satellites the GPS can find (sensitivity). The HCX models had a similar issue at slow speeds, which I think was fixed with a firmware upgrade. The same may be true of the Tilt...

Mach2003 told us earlier how to get the caches to show up on the maps:

Mobile XT will read GPX files as waypoints (1000), just rename the GPX file to current.gpx and store it in the \Garmin\GPX folder, then re-start Mobile XT, and all the caches show on the map as little treasure chests (or parking markers, trailheads, etc).

One operational question I have is how do you select and navigate to the nearest cache? Do you just find the nearest on the map and then find it in Cachemate or is Cachemate linked to the 10X so it constantly updates the nearest list?

Edited by TrailGators

Both, sort of... Cachemate interfaces with XT rather well.

Oh I should say the smartphone and the PPC are not exactly the same, and are not compatible with the wrong phone, so get the correct one. I use the PPC version (Windows Mobile).

Cachemate has a menu item that grabs the current position from XT, then sorts the list on the position. It also has options to set a new center point when you mark a found or DNF on a cache, so the list auto sorts to the next closest cache. It has a button to "map" a cache in XT, from there you can either return to cachemate (done), or stay in XT and do more (info).

Within XT: Where To?, My Locations brings up all of those 1000 that are on the map, in the order that is closest to your current position with distance and direction arrows if you are moving, or cardinal letters if you are not. Where to?, Extras brings up the many thousands of POI in the same way. Both have a spell button to narrow the list should you desire. Spell brings up its own on screen keypad.

In practice, I use the map display in XT to find a target cache. Switch to cachemate to get the details. Use the button in cachemate that maps the cache in XT, Use the Info icon in XT to route to it (XT road routes without changing the aformentioned "At GPS Position" setting). Once I am parked, I switch back to cachemate, then press the button for cacheNav. This brings up the somewhat typical arrow and selectable data fields for off road navigation. I put the 10X on my backpack or belt clip, and the cell in my pocket and go toward the cache. When I get within 50 meters (300 feet) or so or a choice in paths, I pull out the cell, and watch the display. When I get within 10 meters, I slow down my pace and follow the arrow to GZ. I then put the cell back in my pocket and find the cache. Having found it (or not), I go back to the cell and record my log, and the found status (I have a qwerty keypad on the cell). On to the next...

The instructions may seem a bit much, but they realy are not, the buttons and selections are quite handy with the touch screen and my thumb.

In re-reading your post TrailGators, I think I should add one thing in case it is not clear.

Garmin Mobile XT is a program running on the PPC, it does ALL the communication with the 10X (actual GPSR reciever) via bluetooth. Cachemate interfaces with Mobile XT using a Garmin published Software Development Kit (SDK). The 10X actually listens to the sky, and calculates your position, and sends this via bluetooth to XT. the 10x has NO DISPLAY on it.

In Mobile XT, Settings, Map, Show Position = change to "At GPS Location" instead of the default "On Roads"

This *MAY* fix both the slowness issue and the off road issue. The Garmin 10x does not have a slowness issue as I use it. It updates the position every 1 second, no matter how fast I am moving.

Thank you for directing me right to it - mine is currently set to "At GPS Location" so I guess that won't help! :rolleyes:

Like I said earlier in this thread, Mobile XT does show the symbols on the map, just rename your GPX file to "CURRENT.GPX" and active sync it into the \Garmin\GPX folder then re-start MobileXT, it will load up to 1000 of them and show the correct symbols for the caches and the additional waypoints. I actually use GSAK to create the GPX file as I like the ability to change the names and descrition to suite my needs, but I have loaded GPX files from PQ and fromthe web page download and they have worked just fine.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I like how they work as proximity alarms too so maybe I can do both.
In re-reading your post TrailGators, I think I should add one thing in case it is not clear.

Garmin Mobile XT is a program running on the PPC, it does ALL the communication with the 10X (actual GPSR reciever) via bluetooth. Cachemate interfaces with Mobile XT using a Garmin published Software Development Kit (SDK). The 10X actually listens to the sky, and calculates your position, and sends this via bluetooth to XT. the 10x has NO DISPLAY on it.

I knew how it worked except for the Cachemate SDK part. That was the part that I was curious about. Thanks!

The next question is: Which is better? BeelineGPS or CacheNAV?

Edited by TrailGators

I knew how it worked except for the Cachemate SDK part. That was the part that I was curious about. Thanks!

Please accept my apology for making an ASSumption here, I miss-interpreted your question about cachemate reading the 10x, and thought you might have needed clarification. I am sorry for this.

Please accept my apology for making an ASSumption here, I miss-interpreted your question about cachemate reading the 10x, and thought you might have needed clarification. I am sorry for this.

NP. I could easily be mixing up the names of darn things even though I understand the concept of each. :rolleyes:

I don't where you download the plugin for CacheNAV for the PPC. I only see the download or for the Palm version...

Edited by TrailGators

CacheNav comes with Cachemate for free, and reads XT through the SDK. I have never tried BeelineGPS, but for me memory is an issue on the PPC, so I would not want another app installed on it unless it offered a great advantage. Does Beeline support the XT SDK? If it does not, then you would not be able to use Mobile XT at the same time as Beeline as only one program will be able to read the 10x at a time. Does Beeline support the 10x directly through bluetooth?

Edit to say: Cachenav is installed with the cachemate program by default, no need to download it for the PPC. Now did I have to download the IQUE plugin (it is for Mobile XT too).

Edited by Mach2003

CacheNav come with Cachemate for free, and reads XT through the SDK. I have never tried BeelineGPS, but for me memory is an issue on the PPC, so I would not want another app installed on it unless it offered a great advantage. Does Beeline support the XT SDK? If it does not, then you would not be able to use Mobile XT at the same time as Beeline as only one program will be able to read the 10x at a time. Does Beeline support the 10x directly through bluetooth?

You mean that Cachemate comes with CacheNAV....

Good question which I have no clue to the answer. It looks like BL simulates a lot of the features of a normal GPS. I use the stats page on my GPS all the time to see the distance traveled, average speed, elevation gain, etc. I don't think that CacheNAV does any of that stuff. Does it?

Edited by TrailGators

CacheNav come with Cachemate for free, and reads XT through the SDK. I have never tried BeelineGPS, but for me memory is an issue on the PPC, so I would not want another app installed on it unless it offered a great advantage. Does Beeline support the XT SDK? If it does not, then you would not be able to use Mobile XT at the same time as Beeline as only one program will be able to read the 10x at a time. Does Beeline support the 10x directly through bluetooth?

Good question which I have no clue to the answer. It looks like BL simulates a lot of the features of a normal GPS. I use the stats page on my GPS all the time to see the distance traveled, average speed, elevation gain, etc. I don't think that CacheNAV does any of that stuff. Does it?

No you download CacheMate and CacheNav is a plugin that works from within cachemate. It is included in the same download, and registration fee ($8.00, one time charge).

Nope cachenav has no such features, it displays some basic info only: compass arrow, speed, direction etc..

Mobile Xt has a trip odometer that records distance traveled, average speed, but nothing on elevation gain. It has a track log feature like any other GPS, but I have not used it since the Palm days so do not know how to get it out on the ppc, and onto the PC. On the Palm it exported into the same "current.gpx" file mentioned earlier, but the PPC version of XT does not have this feature directly (that I can find).

No you download CacheMate and CacheNav is a plugin that works from within cachemate. It is included in the same download, and registration fee ($8.00, one time charge).

Nope cachenav has no such features, it displays some basic info only: compass arrow, speed, direction etc..

Mobile Xt has a trip odometer that records distance traveled, average speed, but nothing on elevation gain. It has a track log feature like any other GPS, but I have not used it since the Palm days so do not know how to get it out on the ppc, and onto the PC. On the Palm it exported into the same "current.gpx" file mentioned earlier, but the PPC version of XT does not have this feature directly (that I can find).

I meant good question about Beeline as to whether or not it supported the XT SDK...

As far as CacheNAV, altitude isn't that necessary because I could load a topo map to see that. Also if I'm breathing hard then I know the altitude is higher... :rolleyes:

Edited by TrailGators

I just did a short drive to the store with Active Track on max. Saved the track, named it, then displayed the info from it.

In Canadian (items in brackets are assumeed, and not shown):

Start time: 08-07-11 8:11:53 pm

Elapsed Time: 10:12

Average Speed: 10.6 (km/hr)

Distance 1.81 (km)

Color White (for map display)

Area 0.924 ha

Display On Map Enabled

I see no way to export this track to the PC to display in Mapsource.

CacheNav will display any four of:

Altitude, Bearing, Course, Distance, EPE, HDOP, HEPE, MagVar, PDOP, Speed or Turn as live items on the compass screen. It has a seperate screen to show the sat "sky" with the numbers and the relitive signal strength.

I just did a short drive to the store with Active Track on max. Saved the track, named it, then displayed the info from it.

In Canadian (items in brackets are assumeed, and not shown):

Start time: 08-07-11 8:11:53 pm

Elapsed Time: 10:12

Average Speed: 10.6 (km/hr)

Distance 1.81 (km)

Color White (for map display)

Area 0.924 ha

Display On Map Enabled

I see no way to export this track to the PC to display in Mapsource.

CacheNav will display any four of:

Altitude, Bearing, Course, Distance, EPE, HDOP, HEPE, MagVar, PDOP, Speed or Turn as live items on the compass screen. It has a separate screen to show the sat "sky" with the numbers and the relative signal strength.

Thanks for the info. I don't really need to export the tracks. I used them to see the order I found the caches in, but I can sort founds by "Hunt End" in Cachemate to see the order instead. CacheNAV does show the fields I need! :rolleyes:

I just bought and installed Cachemate on my Pantech Duo. I loaded some caches and tried to "navigate" to one of them without any GPS hooked up just to see CacheNAV. It gave me a message saying "No GPS interface plugin was selected. Do you want to use "WM5 GPS Driver"? I'm not sure what that is so I said "No."

Edited by TrailGators

Window Mobile 5 Supports a native GPS driver for internal chips. You need to download, install and run Mobile XT, then enable the IQue plugin in cachemate. Options, Preferences, Plugins tab, GPS Querry, then pull down Garmin IQue GPS/Mapping tap ok, ok.

Run the downloaded file on the PC, it will set up active sync to copy it to your card, or allow you to copy it with the card reader attached to the PC.

Download Mobile Xt from: Mobile XT Download, get the free basemap and support files too.

Edit for: What did I do wrong with the url link???

Download Mobile Xt from: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=010-00579-00

Edited by Mach2003
I just bought and installed Cachemate on my Pantech Duo. I loaded some caches and tried to "navigate" to one of them without any GPS hooked up just to see CacheNAV. It gave me a message saying "No GPS interface plugin was selected. Do you want to use "WM5 GPS Driver"? I'm not sure what that is so I said "No."

I use the Windows GPS Driver - it appears to allow sharing of the GPSr, since I can toggle between BeeLineGPS, CacheMate and Mobile XT without any problem. The one thing that's kept me from using BeeLineGPS seriously is I can't figure out how to bulk delete waypoints and it would take too long to delete the 900+ that are in there now. :rolleyes:
Window Mobile 5 Supports a native GPS driver for internal chips. You need to download, install and run Mobile XT, then enable the IQue plugin in cachemate. Options, Preferences, Plugins tab, GPS Querry, then pull down Garmin IQue GPS/Mapping tap ok, ok.

Run the downloaded file on the PC, it will set up active sync to copy it to your card, or allow you to copy it with the card reader attached to the PC.

Download Mobile Xt from: Mobile XT Download, get the free basemap and support files too.

Download Mobile Xt from: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=010-00579-00

Thanks. Just curious....Why am I using the iQue plugin for my phone? I assume you said that because it's OK, but I want to make sure. I don't have an sd card for the phone yet. I have a 1GB card somewhere around here, but I can't find it at the moment... :rolleyes: Edited by TrailGators

Thanks. Since my phone doesn't have a built in GPS then that driver wouldn't likely work. Just curious....Why am I using the iQue plugin for my phone? I assume you said that because it's OK, but I want to make sure. I don't have an sd card for the phone yet. I have a 1GB card somewhere around here, but I can't find it at the moment... :rolleyes:

Garmin Mobile Xt is based on the older iQue program from Garmin, the SDK is the same. Use the IQue plugin to enable cachemate to communicate with Mobile XT.

Mobile Xt will install to internal memory, and run there (it ALWAYS intalls to internal memory anyway), but I have no idea if it can be installed at all without a card. You probably do not have any room for maps in internal memory. I did say NO MAPS, the basemap is 32Mb by itself.

I use the Windows GPS Driver - it appears to allow sharing of the GPSr, since I can toggle between BeeLineGPS, CacheMate and Mobile XT without any problem. The one thing that's kept me from using BeeLineGPS seriously is I can't figure out how to bulk delete waypoints and it would take too long to delete the 900+ that are in there now. :rolleyes:

I do not see any way to get the 10X to attach to the WM5 internal driver, it might, but I don't see how. Garmin sure did not send out a WM5 hardware driver with the unit.

I've been browsing Beeline. It requires a NMEA gps unit on a Comm port, bluetooth can be set up as a comm port, is the 10x NMEA compatible, I don't know.

To delete a range of waypoints (according to the manual) select first waypoint, activate keypad, press shift, select last waypoint in range, select delete.

Edit: I tested the 10X using a bluetooth com port, ( I had to pair the 10x to the phone using passcode 1234, XT does not require this step) it connects and provides NMEA data. Cachemate has a Microsoft Bluetooth driver and it reads the 10x into cachmate correctly, as long as MobileXt is NOT running. As soon as Xt starts, then cachmate fails to open the port to the 10x, as I thought no shared access to the same port. I tried to get the WM5 GPS to connect to the 10x, but my phone has a GPS chip in it, that is designed NOT to function (just a left over in the design), and the WM5 driver connects to it, and does not get any data from the disabled chip. I can not test the 10x with the WM5 driver in any other way, but I still suspect that the 10x will not attach to the WM5 driver.

Results as I saw them: Beeline should be able to use the 10X with the single application to a port rule. I have seen somewhere that a program is available to share a single port among many apps using a virtual driver, but can not remember what or where. There is also the posibility that Mobile Xt re-programs the 10x for its use, then all other apps would fail to read the 10x if mobile Xt was running (or recently run).

Edited by Mach2003

The bundle on the far right here seems like what you were recommending, mach2003.

There are also several other bundles available from other manufacturers, if you go here. I didn't realize that there were that many options available. There are other SirfStarIII BT receivers as well.

Can't beat the price, including last years NT2008 road maps and POI. (NT2009 is out now).

If you don't want the maps then this saves a buck or two Sensor Only

If you use another brand of GPSr then you can not use the free version of MobileXT (Garmin has to make some cash). MobileXT needs a registration code to connect with other that Garmin sensors. I don't know the retail price of MobileXt, but assume that changing sensors would NOT save any money.

The bundle on the far right here seems like what you were recommending, mach2003.

There are also several other bundles available from other manufacturers, if you go here. I didn't realize that there were that many options available. There are other SirfStarIII BT receivers as well.

Can't beat the price, including last years NT2008 road maps and POI. (NT2009 is out now).

If you don't want the maps then this saves a buck or two Sensor Only

If you use another brand of GPSr then you can not use the free version of MobileXT (Garmin has to make some cash). MobileXT needs a registration code to connect with other that Garmin sensors. I don't know the retail price of MobileXt, but assume that changing sensors would NOT save any money.

To me it's worth 30 more bucks to get the maps. The maps alone almost cost that much. The nice thing about this setup is that you can easily switch phones/PDAs/laptops and not have to buy new maps like you do with a dedicated GPS. I will go with the Garmin bundle. I just pointed those others out to show how many players are vying for this market. Competition is good because it brings the prices down! :huh: Edited by TrailGators

If anyone is still watching, on my last outing I discovered that cachemate PPC export GPX files can be named "current.gpx" (in the \Garmin\GPX folder) and imported as proper icons on MobileXt maps. So cool to do as I was traveling, and three times I was out of the 990 cache display limit.

Has anyone geocached using the Garmin Mobile 10 for Smartphones

I have one that I use with a Motorola Q and have looked at the possibilities, but it's like using a pliers to pound in a nail when you should be using a hammer. Pretty much my opinion of the NUVI thread too.

I just bought a TomTom GO930 and see how it too could be used for geocaching, but when I have a handheld made just for it, GPSMAP 60c, I can't see going beyond some simple curiosity of using the wrong tool for the job at hand.

Is it that there is an influx of people with only these navigation GPS's that want to geocache and don't have a handheld made for it? I recall a guy posting a message trying to geocache with the navigation system in his SUV. Hope he has AWD and a brush guard! :D

Edited by sbukosky

Actually I have a Legend CX, that is now just a backup, or if it is raining, or somthing else goes wrong. Having all my needs on one device (almost) makes my life so much easier. I have yet to have GPSr troubles in finding a cache (even though I have had troubles in finding a cache or two...). In fact the 10X with the SIRFIII chip, I find way better than the etrex.