Colorado Barometer not recording data during Power Off

My Oregon 300 seems to have a problem with this function as well. I set it up to track changes over night and when I viewed it this morning, it first looked as a success. The last seven hours did have a nice smooth plot.

However, after having admired it for a while I suddenly recognised the plot from the day before, only now it hade been given new time stamps indicating that it was new data.

I shut it down and let it sleep a couple of hours and then rechecked the plot. And according to the time stamps there was new data collected, but again, it was the same old graph marked up as new.

Since someone else has mentioned something else peculiar about the barometric graph I will toss in my observation. When I have turned the unit off or on I have noted the time first and noted that it agrees with the time on the barometric plot at that instant too...BUT when I have traveled back along the plot to where I turned the unit off this time point is no longer where the linear plot line first starts but has "drifted" minutes into the linear line portion--where dynamic pressure data has acutally stopped. Likewise, after the unit has been on for a number of minutes and I returned to the end of the linear plot point where it breaks and dynamic data is once again being taken it no longer is the actual time when I turned the unit back on. If I move forward into the new dynamic pressure I can now find that time when the unit was turned back on--it no longer lies right where the linear line breaks and dynamic pressure is once again being recorded but several minutes from it. I'll mention this in my BIG email update to Garmin.

Edited by Ratsneve

Could it be that the interval at which the Colorado records does not directly coincide with a power on event? It may be that the intervals are pre-determined, independent of power on/off cycles, and a few minutes will lapse before logging a point to the graph. This would explain the Power On time showing up in the linear data portion of the line.

The Colorado thinks it's recording pressure data when powered off and it blinks, even though it doesn't. I think the intervals (15 minutes) are in place when you turn the unit on and powering on doesn't necessarily spawn a data logging event.

Pure speculation on my part, but if I am understanding your problem this could be an explanation.

Edited by yogazoo

My Oregon 300 seems to have a problem with this function as well. I set it up to track changes over night and when I viewed it this morning, it first looked as a success. The last seven hours did have a nice smooth plot.

You're exactly right. A smooth line, with no variation means problem! You should see variation in your overnight graph, not smoothness.

Suggestion: call Garmin and let them know you have a bad unit.

Edited by yogazoo

No, I meant that the graph had smooth variations, not the faulty straight lines. So at first glance it looked as it worked as it should.

The problem was that the graph was recorded the day before (when the GPS was fully on) but the date on the graph indicated that it was recorded during the night.

Yogazoo, I'm now joining you among the ranks of the Garmin Colorado RMA club. Mine will no longer plot data while OFF and the recent exchanges with Garmin Tech Support have resulted in a RMA. I am quite confident that it did work initially. I don't know exactly what happened, or what changed...but when I power ON, the barometric pressure shows a sharp spike to zero. After some time (maybe 10-15 minutes) the spike is replaced with (what I believe to be) computed data, not real time sample values.

I hope to compare notes when our replacements arrive...

According to Garmin Tech Support,

"All of your settings are correct for the unit to plot the barometric pressure when powered off. You just need to have PRESSURE TRENDING set to SAVE ALWAYS, TRACK LOG set to ON and batteries in the unit."

The Tech admitted some confusion about the TRACK LOG settings, in that barometric pressure is not saved in the track log...so why does it need to be on? :)

Edited by s20055

The Tech admitted some confusion about the TRACK LOG settings, in that barometric pressure is not saved in the track log...so why does it need to be on? :)

Because, in my opinion, the Garmin Tech support folks, as good as they are, sometimes aren't as well versed in areas as those who use the units. It sounds to me like they (tech support) confuses "elevation plot" with "barometric plot" and they inadvertently blur the lines.

Sorry to hear about your unit s20055, but I wouldn't hold your breath for a working unit from Garmin.

I've got some very sad news, I recieved my replacement unit (second replacement for this problem) from Garmin today. It still doesn't work. IT STILL DOESN"T WORK!!!

Now I'm usually pretty understanding over the phone, I know those on the other end aren't responsible for the problems I'm experiencing. But I've had it, I'm going to ask for a manager or supervisor and let them have it! This is my 6th defective unit for various hardware issues and I've simply had it. Will lucky 7 be a charm? UNBELIEVABLE!

Edited by yogazoo

I paid for a fully functioning device, and I want a fully functioning device, but I don't want to go through 6 RMAs to get there. Who pays the shipping on all these trips back to Mother Garmin?

I can't even think about that one. If I calculate how much I've spent on return shipping and screen shields my head will explode. Sad thing is that whenever there is a problem that Garmin doesn't understand, an RMA seems to be their default way of dealing with customers whether it would fix anything or not.

Ok, I'll do the math after all: I've been through 6 units

Shipping: 6 X $10 = $60

Screen Protectors: 6 X $10 each = $60

TOTAL = $120

;) My head just exploded. :P

Hey look on the bright side, at the current pace of firmware updates we may have fully functioning units by Christmas, almost a year after the Colorado release. That, my friends, is bull$#!%. For a large company like Garmin to be so lacksidasicle about addressing serious issues is, in my opinion, not acceptable. For a unit NOT to work as advertised is deception pure and simple.

Right now I'm patiently awaiting the release (and first couple of reviews) of the Delorme PN-40. Delorme seems to really care about problems it's customers are having. They may deserve my buisness in the future. As for Garmin, I can't tell you how dissapointed I am.

Edited by yogazoo

Hey look on the bright side, at the current pace of firmware updates we may have fully functioning units by Christmas, almost a year after the Colorado release. That, my friends, is bull$#!%. For a large company like Garmin to be so lacksidasicle about addressing serious issues is, in my opinion, not acceptable. For a unit NOT to work as advertised is deception pure and simple.

Right now I'm patiently awaiting the release (and first couple of reviews) of the Delorme PN-40. Delorme seems to really care about problems it's customers are having. They may deserve my buisness in the future. As for Garmin, I can't tell you how dissapointed I am.

You've got a lot of nerve calculationg out that postage. :laughing: Fortunately I'm happy with what I've got now and use. I've been through one exchange and the replacement did fix the wild compass and wandering location marker. AND, since they sent me a new unit they emailed to me a postage paid UPS label to use for the return. I _expect_ the same for the second replacement attempt to fix the dynamic barometric pressure problem when turned Off. However, in light of your experience I'm going to get this problem resolved in email with them first. Maybe they would prefer I ship them my unit for repair and I get that specific unit back repaired? I'm not going to go through what you have gone through. I'll get a full refund out of them first including maps bought.

Does the Oregon do pressure trending while Off? If it does does it work? If it doesn't I don't really care but maybe they'd swap me an Oregon 400t? I don't think I'd be happy sitting here with no GPS. I've run out of steam myself right now. I owe Garmin a lengthy email but feel so depressed reading all this struff I haven't gotten it done.

Does Delorme actually make the PN-40? I guess it doesn't matter if they get its problems fixed and it does all the basic GPS stuff as well as Garmin or Magellan. What kills me is I had an opportunity to use these forums fully BEFORE I bought anything but instead I let myself get sucked into the Colorado at a retail store no less. I backed out of that successfully to save a huge chuck of money but turned around and bought another 400t--only then to really start discovering the problems. I'll never learn!

Edited by Ratsneve

I'm pretty sure my Oregon worked at least once!

GO$Rs

Is once good enough? Now you really must check it again...please. :ph34r:

I just recalibrated and stuck it outside w/my Colorado - we'll see how they look in the morning.

GO$Rs

If it behaves like my Oregon, you will see a nice curve with the correct time and date. But the curve itself is not new, (you will recognise it from the day before) only the time and date has been updated. So it’s even worse than displaying nothing, since now it displays an old curve but presents it as new.

Two screen shots from overnight with the Oregon that seems to indicate that it is working. I lost the screen shots for the Colorado that was sitting right next to it but it was configured identically and it recorded a straight line from the pressure when I turned the unit off to the pressure when I turned the unit on in the morning. My settings on both units:

- Track On/Auto

- Fixed Elevation

- Record Always

- Autocalibration On

- I calibrated both units to 1011mb around 10pm based on the pressure at a local weather station a few miles away. The OR seemed to track the trend of the weather station overnight.

I'm still seeing some strange stuff on the OR like the starting pressure that I read the next morning is not the same as the pressure I calibrated right before I shut the unit off the previous night. I'm going to measure ambient pressure to take elevation out of the picture all together. I'm also wondering if having autocalibration turned on might mess things up.

Start on OR:

OR_start_in_am.JPG

End on OR:

OR_end_in_pm.JPG

GO$Rs

Well, I got a response from Garmin on August 5th. The reply from customer support read:

I sent the information over to my supervisor and he, in turn, passed it

along to our engineers.

Once he hears back from them he will let me know; and I will do the same

for you.

I first called them about the third week in July. Nothing has come of it yet. When I last called in to follow up, a very nice representative told me there was no documentation suggesting this was a known issue. Interestingly, the rep did say there was a documented problem with the altimeter while hangliding! :anibad:

I RMA'd mine too hoping to get one that works, but it sounds like it may be wishful thinking. How long has the turnaround been taking?

Edited by Grasshoppa

Well, the turnaround for my last two units has been about two weeks. It takes them about a week to process in your old one once they receive it and another 3 or 4 days for your replacement to get to your door.

I called Garmin today about the barometer problem, again, and the techie kid asked me how I could expect the GPS to do anything when the unit is off. Totally clueless.

Those "tech guys" appear to be kids they pay minimum wage to read off a script. I wouldn't place too much stock in anything they say unless you talk to one of the actual engineers. The Oregon series just had an update. Could the Colorado's be far behind?

Also, before shipping it, I took some screen shots of what mine looked like after "SAVE ALWAYS" was set while it was turned off more than 12 hours. The first one is the barometric pressure--notice absolutely no data now. The second one is the altimeter for the same data period (or lack thereof). What do you think? Is it working?

2783405132_1c473bd80e_o.jpg2782551571_6d247f3e0d_o.jpg

The side-by-side, one on, one off, test sounds great if anybody has two of the same units. That would be weird to own two units of the same model though. At least you guys are getting some kind of pressure data. Haha.

Edited by Grasshoppa

Here's an email reply I just got from Garmin regarding this barometer issue. I was hoping for a unit replacement, but I can live with this if they actually follow-through. Needless to say, I don't have a ton of confidence in them actually fixing this issue in a timely manner as well as addressing the completely unacceptable drift problem. But at least it's something.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I will be happy to assist you with this matter. I spoke to our software

department about this particular issue. It seems that this is an issue

currently across the board with all of our Colorado units. It is

targeted to be fixed with our next software update for the Colorado. I

do apologize for this issue. Here are some instructions that will help

you do that when the new software update is released. In order to

update your unit to the current version of software, you must use the

WebUpdater program. WebUpdater is a Garmin program that that you can

install on your computer and run any time that you need to update your

GPS unit.

When you run the WebUpdater program, connect with our server to download

and install the latest updates for your GPS unit.

To download WebUpdater, go to:

http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Follow the instructions on how to install and use WebUpdater.

If you have any further questions please feel free to let us know.

With Best Regards,

Well, I got my replacement unit and I'm sad to say, the problem is still here. What do we have to do to get this fixed--file a class action lawsuit? I actually think this would be an excellent case (including issues such as location drift, etc.).

I will now provide exclusive proof that the Colorado merely connects points overnight rather than keeps a trend.

The setup is that I have a small amount of collected pressure points taken about 9 hours ago while the unit was on, prior to putting it to bed. I turned the unit off overnight with the altimeter setup for barometric mode with "fixed pressure" and pressure trending to "save always". When I woke up this morning, I turned it on and checked the barometric pressure graph.

What follows is a series of screenshots taken while increasing the x-axis time scale. Watch what happens to the graph.

Behold:

2789600428_981a1d7d39_o.jpg2788747309_93c0d7d538_o.jpg2788747171_2257fdd501_o.jpg2788747243_07fcf509c1_o.jpg

No data...no data...no data...then whoops! It connects the last ON data with the current ON data. (So, what IS it doing when wakes out of sleep mode every 15 minutes overnight???!!!) You can see that it had collected about 15 mins of data this morning and connected it with about 30 mins of data last night--by a straight line.

Edited by Grasshoppa

Here's another one for Garmin to think about:

2788747051_aaa14e929a_o.jpg2788747109_dfbbdce26d_o.jpg

Since when does 83886mb = 1017.5mb? Wow, I was like at 83 atmospheres of pressure! That's like being 2700 ft under the sea. Sweet! This is probably the worst barometer ever created. I don't understand how this firmware made it to production.

Edited by Grasshoppa

I find it interesting that Garmin's own Motion Based forum at http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php mentions nothing about the nuvi, Colorado or Oregon lines.

The fact that many replacements to date have not fixed this trending barometric data while the Colorado is turned off leaves me feeling that maybe, if and when there is a real solution, it might be locked up in a software update--that there may not be any physical repair needed.

There was one post somewhere sometime ago here where someone mentioned that while attempting to pressure trend with their unit off the batteries went dead and that this left the software in a corrupt state where even after battery replacement the unit would not turn back on properly and the software could not be renewed. Is it possible that Garmin in later software updates turned off this trending function capability in order to prevent the dead battery problem occurring when the unit is off? If this trending when off works on the Oregon it is interesting that Garmin hasn't applied that portion of softeare to the Colorado to fix it. I'd love to see someone with an Oregon start trending pressure data with almost spent batteries and let it run long enough for them to go totally flat. Maybe you can tell when this would be by not seeing the regular screen flash when the unit comes on momentarily to take the data reading? ...Then wait another eight hours and try to turn the unit on to see what happens?

I want to SEE Garmin fix my Colorado. And this includes not only this pressure trending issue when off but also this receiver sensitivity/drift issue and some dumb features like a bogus air and water temperature, not retaining your backlight setting along with it not being nearly as bright with 2.4 V as it is with 5 V, and many other little things. It is obvious to me that Garmin lost knowledge and/or will on how to properly beta test the Colorado and Oregon lines before releasing them for sale. Nobody with the reputation Garmin had could be so stupid--yet somebody was.

I now have to go find the thread on this Drift issue. I think this is the one discussing Waypoint Averaging (WA) or rather the lack of it on the Colorado and Oregon? I thought I solved my initial drift or wandering while driving when my unit was replaced several weeks ago now but apparently not?

If push comes to shove I would join a class acitoin suit. I never have had to do this. I would much much rather become a field beta tester of the Colorado 400t for Garmin with some compensation not to exceed what I've already paid. I would much much rather do this because it would put me deeper in touch with what Garmin was doing. I would feel something more then the "nothing" I feel they are doing now. I may have to mend some fences though since there is probably one person in Garmin I sent email to the other day who could be feeling upset with me. I haven't hear back from him or the tech support I talked to a few days ago on the barometric trending issue--which he knew nothing about. At least he didn't just set up a useless unit exchange. Garmin seriously needs some PR on geocaching.com.

Here's the latest info I've received from Garmin Tech Support:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

I apoligze for the delay, I have been away from my desk for some time. We are starting to see this happen more and more over time. There is a software fix for it that should be out of testing very soon and posted to the website. As soon as it is released, it will be posted at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloads...5&pID=11022.

If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or at the number listed below.

Best Regards,

I had a dream last night that in the new firmware update fix log there were the following lines:

Added ability to Average Waypoint coordinates.

Improved Track Management options.

Fixed Barometer data logging issues and power off issue.

...then I loaded the firmware and that little frog started laughing at me, flipped me the bird, and my unit crashed and wouldn't reboot. I woke up screaming in a cold sweat!

software version 2.70

Fixed issues with power off pressure trending.

Switched off CO 10 pm

Switched on CO 8 am

Compared pressure trending with a nearby weatherstation

-> see picture , looks correct

DruckColoZH.jpg

the full picture from the colordo so scales are also readable.

DruckColo2.jpg

Edited by balga

OK, I have done some testing and some of this may be known... When the Colorado is in "drive mode" it will not record barometric pressures. The other night I accidentally left my Colorado 300 attached to the USB port on my computer over night (after "ejecting" it from the OS). The GPSr remained on and in "drive mode" all night. When I looked at the pressure graph in the morning, I had a straight line from where it was when it was connected to the PC to where it was when the until was physically disconnected and turned on. This doesn't really surprise me.

After that point, I saw another incident of "straight line" pressure graph, but this time the GPSr was not attached to the computer for that whole time. I had connected the GPSr to the PC to transfer track logs, etc. and then disconnected it and left it sit on the desk over night. In the morning I saw a straight line pressure graph. I am testing this one once again right now as I type this. I got to the office this morning and I quickly attached the GPSr to the laptop and transferred my track logs to the PC, now it has been disconnected and is sitting on the desk waiting lunch time for me to turn it back on and view the pressure graph. Hopefully The graph will look "normal" and not be another straight line...

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois

So the header is wrong :ph34r:

"Colorado Barometer not recording data during Power Off, Confirmed Hardware Issue"

Who did confirm that it was a HW issue??

Garmin did. They told me on two seperate occaisions that it was a, and I quote "Confirmed Hardware Issue" requiring replacement. It appears now that it was simply Garmin jerking our chain and issuing replacements to appease their customers.

I have confirmed also that the barometer recording does not work when the map view is set to drive mode. Is there any reason for this or is it simply a booboo by Garmin?

OK, I have done some testing and some of this may be known... When the Colorado is in "drive mode" it will not record barometric pressures. The other night I accidentally left my Colorado 300 attached to the USB port on my computer over night (after "ejecting" it from the OS). The GPSr remained on and in "drive mode" all night. When I looked at the pressure graph in the morning, I had a straight line from where it was when it was connected to the PC to where it was when the until was physically disconnected and turned on. This doesn't really surprise me.

After that point, I saw another incident of "straight line" pressure graph, but this time the GPSr was not attached to the computer for that whole time. I had connected the GPSr to the PC to transfer track logs, etc. and then disconnected it and left it sit on the desk over night. In the morning I saw a straight line pressure graph. I am testing this one once again right now as I type this. I got to the office this morning and I quickly attached the GPSr to the laptop and transferred my track logs to the PC, now it has been disconnected and is sitting on the desk waiting lunch time for me to turn it back on and view the pressure graph. Hopefully The graph will look "normal" and not be another straight line...

I don't think this is an issue with the barometer with "drive mode" since the unit isn't receiving any kind of GPS signal or reading while connected to the PC. The PC is only providing enough power to the Colorado to function as a drive with communication going on through the USB cable.

Edited by ryguyMN

OK, I performed a brief 3 hour test this morning and the results aren't "good". I ask any of you to repeat my test and see if you get the same results:

1. Turn on "Save Always" for your barometer
  2. Run your GPSr as normal for a while to show it is recording pressures
  3. Turn GPSr off (optional)
  4. Attach GPSr to your computer and enter drive mode
  5. Disconnect GPSr from computer and unplug cable
  6. Leave GPSr sit for a few hours without turning on after disconnecting from your computer
  7. Turn GPSr on and look at your pressure plot

After following those steps this morning, I got the following pressure plots:

77.jpg146.jpg157.jpg176.jpg

You will see that the pressure recorded normally up until 8:10 this morning, which is when I connected it to the computer here in the office to put it into drive mode.

I also noticed another barometer graph issue that others have seen and it is shown here:

335.jpg365.jpg369.jpg

Notice that for these last 3 graphs all that was changed was the time scale, but for some reason when the time scale was set to 3 hours, the barometer reading jumped from 9.38 mb up to 1025.5 mb. This is a bit odd to me...

OK, I performed a brief 3 hour test this morning and the results aren't "good". I ask any of you to repeat my test and see if you get the same results:

1. Turn on "Save Always" for your barometer
  2. Run your GPSr as normal for a while to show it is recording pressures
  3. Turn GPSr off (optional)
  4. Attach GPSr to your computer and enter drive mode
  5. Disconnect GPSr from computer and unplug cable
  6. Leave GPSr sit for a few hours without turning on after disconnecting from your computer
  7. Turn GPSr on and look at your pressure plot

After following those steps this morning, I got the following pressure plots:

77.jpg146.jpg157.jpg176.jpg

You will see that the pressure recorded normally up until 8:10 this morning, which is when I connected it to the computer here in the office to put it into drive mode.

I also noticed another barometer graph issue that others have seen and it is shown here:

335.jpg365.jpg369.jpg

Notice that for these last 3 graphs all that was changed was the time scale, but for some reason when the time scale was set to 3 hours, the barometer reading jumped from 9.38 mb up to 1025.5 mb. This is a bit odd to me...

That doesn't look good at all. You might have to do a master reset to clear the barometer data if you already haven't done so. This might sound silly, but have you confirmed in the system menu that 2.7 is installed? Also, does it look like it's trending correctly when the unit is ON?

That doesn't look good at all. You might have to do a master reset to clear the barometer data if you already haven't done so. This might sound silly, but have you confirmed in the system menu that 2.7 is installed? Also, does it look like it's trending correctly when the unit is ON?

I have confirmed version 2.7 is installed. I have done numerous resets, trying to resolve another issue...

If you look at the graphs, the GPSr was only on for about an hour from roughly 7:30 - 8:30 this morning. The overnight graph shows what one would expect to see from a properly working plot, but the 8:30 - 12:30 plot from this morning is what worries me. The unit was sitting on my desk after I had disconnected it from my PC. The difference between overnight and this morning was that I did not turn the GPSr on after removing it from the PC...

If you look at the graphs, the GPSr was only on for about an hour from roughly 7:30 - 8:30 this morning. The overnight graph shows what one would expect to see from a properly working plot, but the 8:30 - 12:30 plot from this morning is what worries me. The unit was sitting on my desk after I had disconnected it from my PC. The difference between overnight and this morning was that I did not turn the GPSr on after removing it from the PC...

Did you say that the barometric pressure records properly when turned off in the normal fashion--not turning off by unplugging from drive mode on your PC?

Also, I have noticed these spikes and pressure differences on the Oregon too. I haven't tried to determine which pressures values were correct or when.

I don't know why but I don't think I ever disconnected from drive mode which leaves the GPSr turned off and expected or looked to see if barometric pressure was being recorded or not.

I think imho that Garmin's approach to this pressure trending is all wrong. For one thing there should be an easy way to clear these charts and reseting the whole unit isn't the answser. Secondly, when you don't want to record when the unit is off and have turned this feature off there shouldn't be any straight line drawn from when the unit was last turned off to when it is turned on. The graph should show a time interruption from when it was turned off to when it was next turned on.

Also, I don't recall the Colorado behavior exactly when I had one because we knew it wasn't working then, but the Oregon for sure now and the Colorado it appears now both exhibit these spikes and different pressure values that are not comprehended and leave one questioning what pressure is right. One minute the pressure is recording "properly" while the unit is turned off; then you turn it on, notice a spike of sorts and watch the pressure settles down recording again after a number of minutes, but it is at a different pressure level.

Edited by Ratsneve