New Colorado OREGON

TexasGringo

But the question is:

As Colorado isn't capable of playing the sounds of Wherigo-Cartridges... will Oregon do that?

Because for me, switching from my 60CSx to a new device would only make sense if I could _really_ use Wherigo (and not some crippled version) ;-)

Best regards,

Chris

But the question is:

As Colorado isn't capable of playing the sounds of Wherigo-Cartridges... will Oregon do that?

Because for me, switching from my 60CSx to a new device would only make sense if I could _really_ use Wherigo (and not some crippled version) ;-)

Best regards,

Chris

On Garmin's website the comparison shows that the Oregon is identical in functionality to the CO with the exception of touchscreen. So it would be a logical expectation that sounds are the same as the CO.

I am not sure a lack of sound with Wherigo's is that big of a deal but that is a personal preference. If the lack of sound was the only drawback of a CO (and probably the OR), I would be a lot happier. The CO has bigger issues than sound. After my experience with the CO, I will not be in a hurry to early adopt any new Garmin product.

I attempted to play GC1BFQE twice using an Oregon 400T. BriarBoy and I have the same unit and experienced the exact same problem on both. The first time the unit turned off during the first part of the game. We powered the units back on and everything seemed to be working correctly. Then at about the half way point the unit wouldn't accept an answer to a question. At that point we decided to try again another day.

On the second attempt we didn’t experience the power off problem but had the same issue with answering the same question as on the previous attempt. We entered the answer but the unit never gave us the next step. It kept returning us to the point where we had to answer the question. We verified that the answer we entered was correct so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I'm planning on writing Garmon tech support and see if I get a response. Any information we get back we will post to the forum. If anyone has any advice please let us know. Thanks

GeoMojoGirl

I attempted to play GC1BFQE twice using an Oregon 400T. BriarBoy and I have the same unit and experienced the exact same problem on both. The first time the unit turned off during the first part of the game. We powered the units back on and everything seemed to be working correctly. Then at about the half way point the unit wouldn't accept an answer to a question. At that point we decided to try again another day.

On the second attempt we didn’t experience the power off problem but had the same issue with answering the same question as on the previous attempt. We entered the answer but the unit never gave us the next step. It kept returning us to the point where we had to answer the question. We verified that the answer we entered was correct so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I'm planning on writing Garmon tech support and see if I get a response. Any information we get back we will post to the forum. If anyone has any advice please let us know. Thanks

GeoMojoGirl

To follow up on GeoMojoGirl's note (we both had the same problems that day), the specifics were:

Garmin Oregon 400t

The Wherigo info button gave the following:

Garmin Player v2.50

Wherigo Engine v2.11

At the time, these were the latest versions (and as of today still are). The frustrating thing is that the owner told us that the Wherigo we were trying had been tested with the Pocket PC version and a Garmin Colorado.

BriarBoy

Based on my own experience I can add the following information:

1.) The Garmin Player Version on the Oregon seems to have no meaning at all. With every software update it is simply set to the number of the software version (which is currently 2.5). Doesn't seem to affect the Wherigo Player on the Oregon at all.

2.) While the Wherigo Engine version (currently 2.11) is the same on the Oregon and the Colorado both devices actually seem to have different engines running. There is at least one cache I know of (GC1EMF3) which can be played using the Colorado but cannot be played using the Oregon.

I already wrote a not-so-friendly email to Garmin support as I really hate to travel a long distance to play a Wherigo cartridge only to find that my Oregon Wherigo Player does not support it. Didn't receive an answer until now though...

The latest PDA Player is from 5/29/2008. Garmin should have updated the Oregon Player by now! Especially since they advertise Wherigo as one of _the_ features of the Oregon...

Wherigo Tutorial passed OK on my Garmin Oregon 300, but another two Wherigo games (GC19Z28 and GC1AT9C) caused to freeze up my device at the end of a game :)

Also, after reloading saved game, I couldn't see Tasks in Task menu. I'd been waiting for couple minutes, but without reaction. Then I tried twice shortly press a switch to invoke/shut a "bulb screen" and Tasks appeared.

I have Garmin Player version 2.50. My colleague with version 2.20 have NONE of mentioned problems!

Game GC19Z28 passed without any problems on his GO 300.

Any idea? Thanx

Edited by vvelisek

I'll add my bit. My geocache Wherigo cartridge for central park is very stable on the colorado and the pocketpc but crashes on the Oregon. One couple had their backup Colorado so they were able to do it and the other guy thinks my code has bugs! This problem is not very good for the future of the Wherigo concept. I've got 6 cartridges out there and I'm not going to buy a model of every player that comes out to test them.

There are all too many cartridges that crash on both the Oregon and Colorado. One of the main impetus in buying these units was the promise that they would work with Wherigo caches. I know the Colorado will not play many of the local cartridges -- it seems to have something to do with functions. And I have heard Oregon users complain about similar issues.

When will Groundspeak and garmin fix this????