Garmin Came Out With The OREGON

I like it just from the standpoint of not having stupid physical buttons. Touch screen is the best.

I guess we now know why the firmware on the Colorado series is taking so long to develop. They were busy developing this!

It's too bad because the Colorado should have never been developed. I guess after they saw the iPhone and iTouch they figured out that touch screens are the future.

I like it just from the standpoint of not having stupid physical buttons. Touch screen is the best.

I guess we now know why the firmware on the Colorado series is taking so long to develop. They were busy developing this!

It's too bad because the Colorado should have never been developed. I guess after they saw the iPhone and iTouch they figured out that touch screens are the future.

I've found that touch screens are not necessarily the best option in damp environments - I've had other devices consistently mis-read stylus and finger positions under those conditions.

I hope Garmin takes that into account. You would think they would, but after all of the issues with the Colorado, I'm not so sure.

I was looking at the page, and then the Oregon suddenly disappeared off the list! Strange. But I my though on the touch screen is that with a device like this, I would be touching it all over while carrying it, or if it were in my pocket. No telling what I would do to it. I think for this device that I wouldn't want a touch screen.

BTW, I like my Colorado, despite the few problems that remain (and I hope will get fixed soon).

Edited by Butano

I was looking at the page, and then the Oregon suddenly disappeared off the list! Strange. But I my though on the touch screen is that with a device like this, I would be touching it all over while carrying it, or if it were in my pocket. No telling what I would do to it. I think for this device that I wouldn't want a touch screen.

BTW, I like my Colorado, despite the few problems that remain (and I hope will get fixed soon).

I think they would be smart enough to put a "hold" button like they have on the Nuvi line. Those who have used the Nuvi should have a good idea of what it would be like to use a touchs screen GPS. It's so easy to move the map around to get a better picture of what's ahead or input letters with a keyboard. Or put down a waypoint by just pointing on the map! Physical buttons are so last century!

Yeah they would come out with something "bigger and better" two weeks after I ordered the Colorado... :laughing:

But I'm pretty certain I would quickly get frustrated with a touchscreen since I know myself and I would accidently hit the screen choosing options I didn't mean to. I kind of like the roller wheel and soft keys on the colorado. I think I'll be just fine with it for a while. :anitongue:

Yeah every device I've used in the field with a touch screen did not work to expectations. They rarely work well if at all with even thin gloves, or in humid/wet or even dusty environments and I would also guess it won't work very well if put into a soft case with a screen cover.

It will be interesting though, looks like it's time to dump the colorado as with the oregon on the way I doubt we'll see much improvement in the colorado and it's still not acceptable for field work even with the new beta.

Edited by toddm

Yeah every device I've used in the field with a touch screen did not work to expectations. They rarely work well if at all with even thin gloves, or in humid/wet or even dusty environments and I would also guess it won't work very well if put into a soft case with a screen cover.

It will be interesting though, looks like it's time to dump the colorado as with the oregon on the way I doubt we'll see much improvement in the colorado and it's still not acceptable for field work even with the new beta.

I doubt they will "dump" the Colorado. To me, the Oregon looks like essentailly a Colorado with a touch screen.