My first earthcache

genegene

OK here is the deal, I will not post as a sock puppet, or worry about someones feelings. If I have something to say, I will say it.

I had been working on getting permission for an earthcache for about a week and a half, the park manager was on vacation the first time I went there, and would be back Saturday, I went back on Tuesday and found out that she had the day off.

Went back on wednesday and got Her OK, as long as the district manager had no problem with it. I also found out that a fellow cacher (Rocking the Goat) was there that morning inquiring about doing one there as well. The park staff, as well as the Park Manager told them that I was working on one as well and I had been there a few times already and needed to get ahold of the district manager and get the OK and that they had no problem with it. As it was already almost 5pm I had no time to get the the district office.

I sent an e-mail to the Goats that night about them being up there that morning and told them that I was just waiting to get ahold of the Park Manager that night and talk to her in person for the OK, and then go to the district office and get permission from them, and I'll let them know about how it goes.

The next morning I get an e-mail from them (at 5:48 am) saying that they just sent in an earthcache in on the location I was working on.

I called the district office the next morning and got the OK from them. I then go back up to Natural Bridge state park and tell them that I do have permission and that they were supposed to send a e-mail to the park manager saying so. I also told the park manager that the Goats said that they just sent one in to get approved as well, knowing full well that I was working on one there.

To me that was just wrong and rude of them, to do that behind my back. They did not care that I was working on one for that spot, nor did they plan on contacting me to find out what kind of earthcache I was working on.

Am I wrong in being upset about this or is this just the nature of some cachers that you HAD respect for.

I spent a long time on getting my facts straight, explaining what earthcaches were to the staff and the Park Manager as well as one of the district managers, and learning about the area.

Needless to say both of our listings are for the same thing, and I had no idea what they wrote up when I sent mine in, just I sent mine in Friday night, and they sent there's in on wednesday night.

My listing Natural Bridge S.P. Rocking the Goat listing Natural Bridge

Your honest opinion will be welcome, good or bad.

Gene G.

genegene

Personally, I would be happy to be able to got to log one and own one in the same area. I didn't take the time to read them but they both seem like information earthcaches. I don't know how much they over lap.

Personally, I think they both need example pictures as well as the one should have additional waypoints added so I don't have to put them in by hand.

(My personal pet peeve at the moment is no additional waypoints when necessary. I hate putting them in by hand!)

When this happened to another Cacher this is what you said.... from the thread Piggiebacking Earthcaches.. Can This Be Done?....below. And at that time everything was fine and dandy with it being a few feet away and different questions, but now that it has happened to you, I hear a different tune. So what makes this happening to you different???

genegene Jun 27 2008, 03:55 PM Post #11

Be nice kiddies

Group: Premium Members

As long as they are a few feet apart and are not a complete copy from the other one, I don't see why not.

If someone does copy the listing, I hope they ask new questions at least...

--------------------

KING of the Odd caches

Edited by wishing_on_a_star

You must have skimmed the reply because the question was there, here you go

When this happened to another Cacher .. from the thread "Piggiebacking Earthcaches.. Can This Be Done?".... your Post #11 on this thread.

How is it different? with the one I am speaking of one had the EC already and another cacher set up on it "the same a carbon copy EC" and that was okay? But yours is "different" how?? reads like the same exact situation to me.

Edited by wishing_on_a_star

OK here is the deal, I will not post as a sock puppet, or worry about someones feelings. If I have something to say, I will say it.

I had been working on getting permission for an earthcache for about a week and a half, the park manager was on vacation the first time I went there, and would be back Saturday, I went back on Tuesday and found out that she had the day off.

Went back on wednesday and got Her OK, as long as the district manager had no problem with it. I also found out that a fellow cacher (Rocking the Goat) was there that morning inquiring about doing one there as well. The park staff, as well as the Park Manager told them that I was working on one as well and I had been there a few times already and needed to get ahold of the district manager and get the OK and that they had no problem with it. As it was already almost 5pm I had no time to get the the district office.

I sent an e-mail to the Goats that night about them being up there that morning and told them that I was just waiting to get ahold of the Park Manager that night and talk to her in person for the OK, and then go to the district office and get permission from them, and I'll let them know about how it goes.

The next morning I get an e-mail from them (at 5:48 am) saying that they just sent in an earthcache in on the location I was working on.

I called the district office the next morning and got the OK from them. I then go back up to Natural Bridge state park and tell them that I do have permission and that they were supposed to send a e-mail to the park manager saying so. I also told the park manager that the Goats said that they just sent one in to get approved as well, knowing full well that I was working on one there.

To me that was just wrong and rude of them, to do that behind my back. They did not care that I was working on one for that spot, nor did they plan on contacting me to find out what kind of earthcache I was working on.

Am I wrong in being upset about this or is this just the nature of some cachers that you HAD respect for.

I spent a long time on getting my facts straight, explaining what earthcaches were to the staff and the Park Manager as well as one of the district managers, and learning about the area.

Needless to say both of our listings are for the same thing, and I had no idea what they wrote up when I sent mine in, just I sent mine in Friday night, and they sent there's in on wednesday night.

My listing Natural Bridge S.P. Rocking the Goat listing Natural Bridge

Your honest opinion will be welcome, good or bad.

Gene G.

genegene

gene,

well it seems to me that you were rudely treated by more than one person here. on the plus side there are two more caches in the world for folks to find. also the fact that you spent the time to do your work and educate the park staff to the geo world makes you the big winner here.

keep on cachin' on

jerry

I'm surprised that both were published, but that is a reviewer issue and not directly relevant to the question. They are on the same subject with much the same details.

I have backed off of many locations if someone expresses an interest in it although only one case has actually followed through and submitted their location. But again, this is not relevant to this question as I have many EarthCaches.

I would not fault the park staff. They are just responding to public inquiries and can not be held accountable for programs not under their control.

We also have not heard from Rocking the Goat, so he may have also been working on his version for just as long and having similar difficulties getting a hold of the park staff. He may have submitted his version the night before, without seeing your e-mail. I am an optimist, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Based on the descriptions, I think there is enough to have split the focus of the earthcaches so they could both exist. As it is, some of the information from one cache can be used to answer the other.

There is also karma and what you hold on to emotionally will taint your entire life.

What are we argueing about? The caches are posted, they are being found, and they are doing what they are supposed to - inform cachers of the natural world out there. I would just drop it.

Exactly :unsure:

Who knows what the background time was for each of you but it is what it is - the end result - 2 new EC's that offer something new to learn in a beautiful setting - WAHOOOOOOOO!

Take a deep breath, exhale and go cachin! :ph34r:

I find that it's best not to get too worked up about things and try to find positives in every situation.

You can take the approach where you get upset about things, but does that make caching fun? I say look at the bright side and go about having fun.

The positives that I see are two earthcaches in an awesome spot, plus an added benefit to you personally is that you can log one of them as a find. :blink:

(My personal pet peeve at the moment is no additional waypoints when necessary. I hate putting them in by hand!)

I haven't looked closely at the caches, so I don't know know if they're in there, but I agree. I wish people would add additional waypoints if they're needed. Yes, it fills up the GPS a bit more, but it's also so handy and much more user friendly.

BAKA!

А вы о чем интересно? мм??? :huh:

Я инглиша не знаю, ппока не понял о чем вы говорите =(

Translation:

BAKA!

And you about what it is interesting? Mm???

I do not know an English, ппока have not understood about what you speak = (

My personal pet peeve at the moment is no additional waypoints when necessary.

Could not agree more, O.

The issue is that they are both exactly the same. One of them should be archived.

I really have to agree with this and with gene on this one. At least I know where he is coming from. I really can't think of any good solution that would not be very messy. The best I have got here is appeal to the reviewer but then there is no way to know who did what first so I don't know what good that would do. It would be very frustrating to do all of the legwork and research that goes into a quality earthcache and have someone develop one there the same day especailly if corners were cut in the process. The entire state was covered by glaciers so there is more than enough material for earthcaches to get a couple placed without stepping on anyone's toes. And having just developed two in Massachusetts I can attest to just how crazy it was getting approval from the state.

- Rev Mike

You should contact geoaware directly about the duplicate EC. I was recently denied a EC placement because my EC was about a mile away from another EC. They both talked about a meteor. One EC talked more about the meteorite crater.

geoaware explained to me in detail since it was so close to the other EC (8 tenths of a mile), that I needed permission from the other EC owner and he later decided even though both was about a different feature, over all they talked about the same thing.

Good rule to follow by geoaware.

Edited by Cav Scout