A single GPS unit for caching and automobile use?

Greetings all! I suppose as far as rookies go we are as newbie as they get. Here is my question…my father just introduced us to geocahing and we are totally psyched! We are interested in getting a GPS unit for caching that can also be used for driving and travel and such as well. We do not own a GPS unit now so we were hoping to get a multitasker that would handle duties for both. Any thoughts? Are there different attributes like memory or card slots that will determine what a unit can be used for? Also, keep in mind that we are both students so price is also a very important factor. Thanks to all very much!!

George and Heather

:P

Welcome to the Forums! :P

The best, least-expensive, durable, High-Sensitivity, hand-held GPS unit that can be used for Geocaching and also loaded with the auto-routing City Navigator maps to be used for driving is the Garmin Legend HCx. It sells for around $185 online. The CN maps are an additional $100, or so.

Greetings all! I suppose as far as rookies go we are as newbie as they get. Here is my question…my father just introduced us to geocahing and we are totally psyched! We are interested in getting a GPS unit for caching that can also be used for driving and travel and such as well. We do not own a GPS unit now so we were hoping to get a multitasker that would handle duties for both. Any thoughts? Are there different attributes like memory or card slots that will determine what a unit can be used for? Also, keep in mind that we are both students so price is also a very important factor. Thanks to all very much!!

George and Heather

:P

I'm pretty much a rookie too, 83 finds. If you want a unit for driving and only secondary for caching, I love my Garmin Nuvi 350, and the price has dropped a lot, under $200 at amazon.com now, I think. I've had it a year, and it speaks the street names as well as the distance for turns, etc. Very easy to use, and has a touchscreen and the driving maps are included. It's also what I've used for caching until just this week. It worked fine for caching, but it's not water resistant, isn't really shaped to be hand-held, the ports aren't covered. I was afraid I'd damage it if I kept laying it down on pinestraw, etc., or that sooner or later it would get wet. (This is a great unit if you can be careful with it outside.) And I am totally hooked on caching!! So, I recently ordered an eTrex Venture HC, just to use for caching only. It was $117 at amazon, but doesn't have a card slot, so you couldn't load the maps you'd need for driving. But it's smaller, sturdier, and water-resistant for use outdoors. So, for about $320, you could get both units now at amazon, if you wanted two different units (which you probably don't). There are lots of models of Nuvis with various features, btw. They (or at least the 350) are intended primarily for driving, but have a Pedestrian mode.

The fancier eTrex's (such as the Vista HCx) have card slots, but you have to purchase the maps extra. They don't call out street names, etc., but can be used for driving navigation with the extra maps. So if you want a unit more for caching or hiking, and secondary for driving, one of them might be a better choice. There is also a 60CSx that is bigger and has a card slot and a different arrangement of buttons, on the front of the unit. It can be used for driving, with the extra maps. These are "outdoor" type units and don't include the maps. They are a good bit more expensive than the one I have, but I haven't checked the prices for them recently.

If you go with an eTrex model, the ones with "H" in their names have the new, better satellite receiver. If they have a card slot, the name has "x" in it. The Garmin website will compare all their models. But amazon has much better prices than those listed.

I think each type of unit is better for either driving, or for hiking/caching, so there is some trade-off either way. I don't know which single model would be best for both. I really like my combo, although they were purchased a year apart. I've only been caching since April.

Maybe you will get more knowledgeable replies from more experienced people, but I hope this helps some--

Happy caching!!

I would second the recommendation of the Legend Hcx. I recently upgraded to a 60Cx, but the Legend Hcx would have been a very close second. In fact, a good friend just purchased one, in part because I recommended it to him.

This model has the newer high sensitivity receiver, so it will keep a better lock on the satellites in "difficult" terrain, where the sky view is more shaded--canyons, indoors, dense tree cover, etc. It also has a slot for removable memory, so you can purchase a Micro SD card to store maps.

Auto routing maps make it usable for driving--the City Navigator maps will set you back a little over $100. The built-in basemap will give you a general idea where you are, but is very crude. It will even autoroute you as long as you stay on major highways. If you want a good all-around unit to use for driving directions and frequent outdoor activity, this would be a great choice.

EDIT: As mentioned above, the "non-automotive" units don't talk to you. Instead of saying "Left turn on main street," it will beep at you to warn of upcoming turns and give you on-screen instructions. As long as this is acceptable, the outdoor units do a fine job at auto-routing.

Edited by andylphoto

I have a Garmin 76csx ($500), it works great for driving and geocaching. Except there is no way to mass delete all old geocaches.

My Gecko 201 ($100) worked fine for driving, but did not work at all under any tree cover. Your mileage may vary with the Gecko line, be careful.

I have a Garmin 76csx ($500), it works great for driving and geocaching. Except there is no way to mass delete all old geocaches.

My Gecko 201 ($100) worked fine for driving, but did not work at all under any tree cover. Your mileage may vary with the Gecko line, be careful.

What do you mean by "old geocaches?" You can do a delete by symbol to delete the found ones, if that's what you're talking about.