Magnetic Bearings?

Amy Birt

Hi there, we are new to GeoCaching. There is a cashe in St. Albert that we would like to do that involves some compass bearings. Could any one explain to me how to find magnetic bearings? For example 119 Degrees Magnetic. If it is not too complicated and little lesson would be helpful.

First of all, go get a good old magnetic compass. Got it? Kewl, here goes;

Look at the compass, see where the red needle points; that’s north. Now, turn the compass so the big N aligns up whit the direction of the red needle.

You can now see where in what DIRECTION North, East, West and South is.

Now, let’s imagine that the red needle (north) is pointing about 2 o’clock (meaning that the compass is imagined to be the face of a clock and the way you are looking at it you see the ‘top’ as 12 o’clock).

Let’s also assume that the cache you want to walk towards is on your 10 o’clock. That should also mean that NW would be about 12 o’clock on your imagined clock, right?

That means that the BEARING (while you are stationary) to the cache is, you guessed it, West, or 270 degrees. As you travel towards the cache your HEADING should be West (or 270 degrees).

In short,

BEARING = the direction of a given pint on a map

HEADING = the direction you are traveling. Can also be called COURSE

North = 0 degrees

East = 90 degrees

South = 180 degrees

West = 270 degrees

I hope this helped you some!

Hi there, we are new to GeoCaching. There is a cashe in St. Albert that we would like to do that involves some compass bearings. Could any one explain to me how to find magnetic bearings? For example 119 Degrees Magnetic. If it is not too complicated and little lesson would be helpful.

What type of GPSr do you have? Many of these can project a waypoint based on the bearing and distance.

What type of GPSr do you have? Many of these can project a waypoint based on the bearing and distance.

That's no fun.... :P

See this thread.... >CLICK <