Magellan has just announced new ToPo maping.

AccuTerra USA. Hmmm interesting. Compatible with the explorist line. Wasn't expecting that one since they discontinued that line.

Planning to hike along the Appalachian Trail? Take an off-road trip into the Sierras? Or camp near the Everglades? Take your AccuTerra™ GPS map data with you throughout the United States and Hawaii and you'll have instant access to more than one million points of interest.

AccuTerra GPS map data provides one the most complete collections of background maps, trail data, and reference information currently available on mobile devices for off-road and recreation enthusiasts, including trailheads, campgrounds, water sources, and much more.

While you're discovering the great outdoors AccuTerra GPS map data always and accurately tells you where you are and what you are near. This improves decision making and helps ensure a safer journey.

AccuTerra GPS map data is compatible with Magellan GPS Triton and eXplorist units. Download AccuTerra maps and other data to easily find what you're looking for, wherever your trek may take you.

AccuTerra™ GPS map data enables users with compatible Magellan GPS units to do the following:

View a unique collection of road and trail data that shows one of the most complete networks of back roads and trails on a national scale.

Identify changes in elevation to measure your climb.

Determine property boundaries for federal, state, and local lands to let you know when you travel into a new area.

Locate national parks and forests, wilderness areas, state parks, historic sites, and more.

Show more than one million points of interest, including campgrounds, trailheads, water sources, ranger stations, boat ramps, and natural features.

AccuTerra™ GPS map data provides detailed maps and trail data collections for the following contiguous United States regions and Hawaii:

Northwest-Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming

West-California, Hawaii, and Nevada,

Rocky Mountains-Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah

Midwest-Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota

South-Oklahoma and Texas

Great Lakes-Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Southeast-Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee

Northeast-Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia

Looks like $59.99 per area and they are downloadable

More info from the company that makes the maps.

http://www.accuterra.com/tech_support/faqs

Edited by storm180

Very interesting....curious to see how this compares with Topo 3D. It will be nice to have some current maps for eXplorist. Why the regions though and not make the whole US available? Geez, I feel like I have a thousand bucks worth of software preloaded on the Colorado 400t! HA! Anyway, thumbs up to Magellan nonetheless.

Ryan

Edited by ryguyMN

I am tempted just to see what they look like on my explorist 600. Is my temptation worth $60 bucks?

I am more than just a little disappointed in the way Magellan is handling their lack of support of their products and even more pissed off in their mapping software. I purchased MapSend ToPo 4.2 and it had most of the trails that we use and I thought that it was remarkable in the detail. When they came out with ToPo 3D it was not even close to the detail that was on ToPo 4.2 let alone an update of the ToPo features, a slick package but no cigar and a waste of money.

Now they have brought out AccuTerra that breaks out six segments of the country and charges $60 for each segment. I see at least four segments that I would like to have but I am not going to spend $240 to cover the areas that I need. As a matter of fact, I will be looking at the new Delorme pn-40 as my next GPS if they can just come up with a larger screen.

From looking at the Accuterra website, the company seems really dedicated to the highest quality topo / trail maps that you can find. I asked them if they could email a specific area so I can see the details before I bought. I want to see what type of trail they have and I am even more curious of the detail I will get on my Explorist 600

If your interest in strictly in Topo maps for the Explorist line then be it known that standard MapSend Topo can be put on those by post processing them using a hacked out utility called img-imi.

Sure there is a little more work involved than just connecting your GPS to your computer...

I wish Magellan would put out 'firmware' updates for ALL their legacy products.

http://ray.jerome.jobs.googlepages.com/majormagellanproblem

and yes, MapSend Topo is based on the 90meter elevation model so it's not as good as this new product.

Edited by trainlove

I'm trying to register my serial number with Magellan in order to download and use these maps correctly since the map is linked to the serial number. Using the serial number on the about screen on my Explorist 600, the web site is saying my number is too short. What was the work around for this? Thanks!

I'm trying to register my serial number with Magellan in order to download and use these maps correctly since the map is linked to the serial number. Using the serial number on the about screen on my Explorist 600, the web site is saying my number is too short. What was the work around for this? Thanks!

You'll need to look at the serial no. underneath the battery. It has an extra digit in front and back of your serial no. that you see on your About screen.

"Magellan has just announced new ToPo maping. "
Your title is misleading.

My take on that website is that they have nothing to do with Magellan, rather they produce Magellan compatible maps. Do they have Magellan's blessing, maybe/not?

One thing for sure, they'll never get Garmin's blessing. So if they want to produce Garmin compatable maps they'll need to go the cGPSmapper route like the various maps seen on this site.

You'll need to look at the serial no. underneath the battery. It has an extra digit in front and back of your serial no. that you see on your About screen.

Thanks for the tip, but this process is still being a pain in the a**. My serial number starts with 0119, however Magellan will only allow input starting with 0118. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Between this and Garmin's lack of support for Colorado, I'm starting to get real pissed with handheld GPS units. It shouldn't be this difficult. Why can't stuff just work the way it should???

Edited by ryguyMN
"Magellan has just announced new ToPo maping. "
Your title is misleading.

My take on that website is that they have nothing to do with Magellan, rather they produce Magellan compatible maps. Do they have Magellan's blessing, maybe/not?

One thing for sure, they'll never get Garmin's blessing. So if they want to produce Garmin compatable maps they'll need to go the cGPSmapper route like the various maps seen on this site.

I didn't make the topic, someone else did. The forum must have errored out when the original poster was making his post and it just created the topic. I found out the info and posted it sine the op didn't check the post.

Well since the only place you can buy them is through magellan and each map is linked to the serial number of the unit. When you went to that website you would have also read when you go to where to buy it says contact magellan. So since magellan sells them on their website, you can be assured they are partnered with magellan.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=2119

Then click on the map of which one you want and it goes to the buy screen.

STORM180~

I was the original, poster of the topic and when I checked back in to read what the responses were, my post was missing. It still had me listed as the OP but you had posted the information,...so I just chalked it up to a SNAFU ???

When I saw the topic, I clicked on it and there was nothing there. So I waited a few because I was going to respond and I didn't see anything so I went to the website and cut and pasted the info. I know sometimes after posting when the forum errors out you don't realize your post is not there. Happened to me several times.

Post #1 reads just like an advertisement for a mapping program. :unsure:

I doubt that it is worth $60.00 per section, but spend away folks.

John

Its called a cut and paste from the people who make the maps. People cut and paste garmin stuff all the time in the forums. I wasn't trying to peddle the product.