Warning Windows update

EraSeek

We just got notice at work from our IT Department indicating that what EraSeek says is right (at least for XP machines). If you want to uninstall the hotfix follow these instructions:

· Click the Start Menu

· Click the Settings menu

· Click on Add or Remove Programs

· On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a check box that says "show updates"

· Select this checkbox

· Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)" Affected KB951978. Dialog Box will appear and say that KB951978 is affected and may not operated properly. Do you want to Continue? Select Yes

· Click remove to uninstall the hotfix

· Once removed you will be prompted to install the hotfix just removed

· Uncheck the box next to it and then choose Don't notify me again. Select ok

Edited by Forty-n-Eight

Get rid of ZoneAlarm and just use the XP Firewall. You'll have better system performance overall.

This is not my field of expertise, but if my memory serves me right I remember reading somewhere that windows firewall isn't all that great, that it will stop things coming in but it won't stop things going out, where ZoneAlarm does.

Get rid of ZoneAlarm and just use the XP Firewall. You'll have better system performance overall.

This is not my field of expertise, but if my memory serves me right I remember reading somewhere that windows firewall isn't all that great, that it will stop things coming in but it won't stop things going out, where ZoneAlarm does.

It's actually not that good at stopping things from coming in either, but neither was ZA. I had a buddy that was able to demonstrate how using three computers with different IP addresses could be used to attack the targeted system and easily defeat both.

IMHO, and FWIW, most software these days is designed to go out and check for updates. So the micromanagement of the firewall increases along with the research to determine if it is safe or not. I found my best defense was a good anti-virus and spy sweeper combination behind a NAT/SPI firewall that doesn't respond to outside requests. The right software combination will let you know if an intrusion was attempted and weekly scans with both will let you keep your system clean from the usual suspects.

Unless you're finding yourself routinely on sites that may prove hazardous or if you are a very valuable target, further protection than that is usually redundant and excessive for most people.

I may have spoken too soon. None of the Vistamachines are affected. BUT, some of the xp machines were. I can't figure out why some were and some weren't.

My guess is that some are set to medium security and some on high.

Zonealarm has a new version out for download that fixes the problem.

By the way Microsoft is forcing xp SP3 through automatic updates right about now today, so you may see that too.

I may have spoken too soon. None of the Vistamachines are affected. BUT, some of the xp machines were. I can't figure out why some were and some weren't.

My guess is that some are set to medium security and some on high.

Zonealarm has a new version out for download that fixes the problem.

By the way Microsoft is forcing xp SP3 through automatic updates right about now today, so you may see that too.

Hopefully this is a new SP3 the SP3 that came out a couple of months ago totally hosed one of our machines.

I just fixed one of my "broken" computers by uninstalling zone alarm, doing windows updates, and then reinstalling zone alarm.

This method didn't work on the next computer however. If you have the time to try it doesn't hurt.

I personally believe with a good firewall and some common sense you don't need an anti virus. I use a free anti virus because I don't alway use my common sense.

I discovered what it was by doing a system restore on one computer a couple of times and by a process of elimination I knew it was the update.

On one affected computer I uninstalled zone alarm and went with the windows firewall. Two other computers I saved the new version of zone alarm, did the update, and installed the new zone alarm over the old. All is now working well.

AVG is free and seems to work well on one of my computers. On the other computers the paid Norton seems to use up most of the computer's processing and our time. Free ain't so bad.

I'm the one who gets to fix our computers at home. And of course, two of ours were zapped! I took the easy way for now and uninstalled the hotfix, as I'm running to go out of town on a last minute short trip. I'm sure glad I saw this thread start, as it was what pointed me in the right direction when we went down this morning. Thanks, EraSeek!

All the computers that I work with are now fixed. It wasn't a hard fix, but I hate to think how long it would have taken me to figure out what was causing it. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry I didn't believe you at first. I was working on a vista machine and didn't even think to check one of the other machine before posting a reply.

I'm happy to see that vista, for the first time, isn't the one making thing go bad.

One of the windows updates kills internet access to anyone using Zone Alarm. There are some work arounds like putting your IP address in a trusted zone.

That explains that. For kicks I turned off Zone Alarm (Since I could think of nothing else that would block access on an XP comptuer and not on a Vista computer) and things started working. What I didn't know was that it was a windows update. I had literally just formated this computer and started fresh. That means a lot of updates.

It also explains my wifes computer and the call I got this morning. She graduates in about 2 weeks. She was not happy to not have internet access. I had her use system restor to go back a few days. That worked but looks like the problem needs a permanent solution. Now I have to look for the post that mentions the hotfix above.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If you're on a computer behind a router to share your internet connection, and don't care about controlling who on your network can and can't use certain programs, then there is really no need to use ANY firewall software if you practice "safe net"

The router will block all traffic coming into your network unless you tell it otherwise by forwarding specific ports in the router's admin control panel which is accessible from a web browser (preferably from a machine that is hard-wired to the router with a CAT-5 cable, NOT wireless).

I have been using PC's without firewall software (including disabling the microsoft windows firewall) for more years than i can recall and have had no infections running this way.

like i said, be safe and cautious. don't blindly click on links without reading CLOSELY at the status bar in the browser to where the link is actually taking you and you'll be fine. Firewall 'software' requires so much overhead from your processor and memory that it will slow down your sessions to the point of being annoying. If you absolutely MUST have a firewall, or if you're really that paranoid, invest in a hardware firewall solution and let that device handle the workload.

Edited by WolfBlitzer