Wherigo with iPhone

I am having trouble downloading cartridges. I sign in to the website using the app's browser. Then I navigate to the cartridge's page. When I click on the "Download" button, I am told that I have to log in. Rinse, lather, repeat...

Also, when I click on the "Sign In" link, nothing happens. I have to log in using the "My Home" link. If I push on the "Sign In" link and leave my finger there, a window that says "JavaScript" with "Open" and "Cancel" button pops up, but nothing happens if I press either button.

Same here! Thought I was incompetent...so what's the problem, a bug, a setting???

I am having trouble downloading cartridges. I sign in to the website using the app's browser. Then I navigate to the cartridge's page. When I click on the "Download" button, I am told that I have to log in. Rinse, lather, repeat...

Also, when I click on the "Sign In" link, nothing happens. I have to log in using the "My Home" link. If I push on the "Sign In" link and leave my finger there, a window that says "JavaScript" with "Open" and "Cancel" button pops up, but nothing happens if I press either button.

Ditto, frustrating isn't it? Has anyone progressed past this point?

Here's what I can reproduce:

I cannot use the "Sign In" link.

I can sign in via "My Home".

Once I sign in, the browser won't use the site's style sheets.

The images won't display, save for the cartridge's banner.

I can click the "?" box placeholder for the download image and go to the download page.

I cannot download the cartridge when I click on the "Download Now" button.

I used the tutorial cartridge to try out the app. I downloaded it on my laptops desktop, fired up itunes, synced my device, went to the app tab on my listed device and down at the bottom PiGo is listed. In the right pane, click add and browse to your file on the laptop. Apply and re sync your phone. It was there when I opened up the app. I don't think you can download it from iphones browser...at least I couldn't . Wish we had some cartridges here in Fairbanks. Might have to try my hand at building one. Is it pretty involved?

Edited by alaskaflyer

I used the tutorial cartridge to try out the app. I downloaded it on my laptops desktop, fired up itunes, synced my device, went to the app tab on my listed device and down at the bottom PiGo is listed. In the right pane, click add and browse to your file on the laptop. Apply and re sync your phone. It was there when I opened up the app. I don't think you can download it from iphones browser...at least I couldn't . Wish we had some cartridges here in Fairbanks. Might have to try my hand at building one. Is it pretty involved?

To answer some of your questions:

I have a Colorado and an iPhone, so am using both at the moment, but still favor the Colorado until the iPhone app can run all cartridges.

Creating a cartridge does take some time, but it largely depends upon how much you want to put into a cartridge and how complicated you want to make it. There's also that initial steep learning curve. Once you make it over that, you'll be able to churn out cartridges after you come up with the idea. Please feel free to ask questions or for help from the community. There are several people who enjoy helping others. Don't be afraid to ask the basic questions, but I do ask you take some time to search for the answer in the forum, on the wiki, and in the documentation.

There are a few cartridges that can be played anywhere in the world. You can view these on the Play Anywhere page. One mine is listed there, ]url=http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=f6002f33-c68a-4966-82ca-3c392a85d892]Whack-A-Lackey[/url]. All you need is a soccer field and a player other than an Oregon or iPhone (the former has resource issues and the latter has yet to add certain lua engine features to make it possible to play as intended). Play Anywhere cartridges are a little more involved to create and you do need to come up with an idea that is not dependent upon objects at a specific location.

Hmm... Fairbanks... I just looked up the weather: -3F and snowing. One of these days, I do want to visit Alaska, but during more clement times, with longer days. I wonder how the caching is up there.

This solution works for me... thanks!

But resyncing the iPhone after adding the cartridges seems not necessary.

I have the same problem on my os 4.1 iphone 3gs. :anibad:

As discussed in another thread, I initially had no problems at all downloading cartridges through the app - then at some point I could not download because the Wherigo site would not recognize that I was logged in throughout the process.

I have been able to make it work to a certain extent - at this point I have downloaded 11 cartridges, mostly to see if I could find some sort of procedure that works every time. All I really know is that if I have to log in when I go to download cartridges in Pigo, it will not work. And any procedure I use seems to work sporadically.

I seem to have the best success if I go into Wherigo through Pigo and log in through the "my home" page. Then switch to Safari and log in to Wherigo from there. With some fiddling back and forth, going in and out of the Wherigo site, or back and forth between pages, I eventually get Safari to remember me (when I hit a link from the home page to a cache I created or one of the nearest cartridges that is shown).

Then I return to Pigo, press the Pigo button to go back to the list of cartridges, then press the button again to download cartridges. At that point, Pigo seems to remember me and I am able to download a cartridge.

To download a second cartridge, I have to repeat. I am not sure what is necessary and what is not. Whether the Safari fiddling is necessary or not. Whether the initial log in through Pigo is necessary or not. Things happen sporadically. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But with some fiddling back and forth I have gotten the app to download the cartridges. It is not a great solution, or a solution at all, but I am mystified by it.

Edited by mulvaney

The fact that Safari is exhibiting the same problem as PiGo indicates it's not really a PiGo problem, but something wrong with the website. Whatever it is, I hope they fix it soon.

The only tried and true method currently appears to be alaskaflyer's solution (from post #106 above). To spell it out:

1) Download the desired cart(s) from the Wherigo website to your computer (remember where you download it to).

2) Start iTunes and connect your iPhone (you can choose to sync it or just cancel the sync).

3) In iTunes, click on your iPhone device in the left-hand pane.

4) Click on the Apps tab at the top.

5) Scroll down the page (not just in the Apps window) to find the File Sharing section. (This is the part that I didn't know about. I totally didn't know the File Sharing section was there!)

6) PiGo should be in the left section. Click on it to show what carts are in the app on your phone.

7) Click Add, then browse to wherever you downloaded the cart(s) to, and select it (or them).

8) Click Open, and then Sync to make sure the cart gets synced to your phone (although it may be put on your phone automatically).

I assume you can also use this method to get a saved, completed cart off of your phone to upload to the website, though I haven't tried it.

I realize the sync method is a tried and true procedure, but in the past two days I have downloaded 15-20 cartridges in the app itself. As described in the other thread the method that seems to be working the best for me is to go to Settings and clear Safari's cookies and cache, open and log on to Wherigo in Safari, then switch back to Pigo. I had the browser screen open so I went back to the cartridge list and then returned to the download pages from there. I have used this procedure four times now and it has worked each time. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by mulvaney

both methods worked for me too. Thanks alot!

BUT, those things are only a WORKAROUND!!!

it couldnt be that we can´t log in correctly and browse and download there... if i am logged in there, and go further 3-4 pages, i´ll get automaticly logged out... with safari and PiGo.

It cant be that difficult to program the website correctly? or what kind of webmasters/programmer are employed there???

wats up with you Groundspeak??? you make money with this, so please take better care, that things reaLLy work!!!

i never ever had so much trouble with software, i ordered and paid in my whole life, than with Groundspeak!

sorry, but thats my 5 cent

cheers

i even have to spoof my iphone4 4.1 to 4.2. that PiGo can download^^

where is Groundspeak´s Wherigo IPhone Version ??? come on guys, that cant be that hard to program this !?

Edited by feiercrack
It cant be that difficult to program the website correctly? or what kind of webmasters/programmer are employed there???

wats up with you Groundspeak??? you make money with this, so please take better care, that things reaLLy work!!!

i never ever had so much trouble with software, i ordered and paid in my whole life, than with Groundspeak!

Dude, chill. Wherigo development is on hiatus right now. It's cool that the PiGo author made his work available, and it's cool that it more or less works with a web site which hasn't been updated in a while. But updating it or not is a business decision. If you don't like Wherigo, Groundspeak will reimburse you every cent that you paid to use it, which is to say, nothing (your Premium Membership entitles you to specific member benefits, not a casting vote on where the company sênds its R&D budget).

It's frustrating, but the problems are well-known. Please read some of the history in these forums, rather than ranting about bugs. The issues are at a different level than "support for 3rd party apps".

Edited by sTeamTraen

Let me share what I have observed of PiGo when it browses the Wherigo site:

When you log in to Wherigo.com, .Net acknowledges PiGo's browser does not accept cookies. .Net is pretty good about identifying when cookies are disabled or a browser can't accept cookies. Thus, when I log in, my session key becomes part of the URL (I can see this in the URL, which is why I know this is happening). After I logged in, I returned to the home page. This worked properly and my session ID remained part of the URL. However, when I clicked a cartridge's link from the home page, the session ID was not kept within the URL. This meant the UI showed I was logged out.

Regardless of what the UI displayed, I clicked the image button to go to the cartridge download page. Of course, it told me I had to log in. I pasted my session ID into this page's URL, effectively logging me in again. I was then able to select the Player from the drop-down menu and click the cartridge download button. However, I was not able to trigger the download.

Before posting this, I tried a quick experiment in Firefox. I disabled the browser's cookies to see if I could reproduce the same problem I saw with PiGo's browser. However, the session ID was never placed in the URL and I didn't have too much time to play with the experiment further.

Now, I should point out Wherigo.com works flawlessly in Safari on the iPhone--and I believe PiGo is using a browser plug-in because it enables it to detect either the file extension or MIME-type of a requested file, which PiGo uses to grab a cartridge when it's being downloaded.

Thus, I believe most of the problem lies on PiGo's end and not Groundspeak's.

I'll leave feiercrack's comment stand, but please remain civil and respectful. I know, at times, it can be challenging and frustrating with the lack of updates and progress made over the last three years.

we recently downloaded the Wherigo app and used it successfully on our ipad2 to complete our first Wherigo. But we, like CacherX4, dont know how to upload the completed cartridge to complete the Wherigo. I noticed there were no responses to this post so thought I would try a re-post. Would appreciate advice or a re-direction to an site with helpful info.. Thanks.

I downloaded the app and ran my first Wherigo with it today. It worked flawlessly given the accuracy of my old iPhone 3g GPSr. It took awhile to count down feet and never pointed me in the correct direction but the written directions were always accurate. ie NE, SW, etc..

My question is, how do you uplaod the completed cartridge to the Wherigo site to get it marked Completed. The Wherigo I did, did not include a completion code. I'm sure it is something easy, but I am not seeing it.

Thank you for your time.

we recently downloaded the Wherigo app and used it successfully on our ipad2 to complete our first Wherigo. But we, like CacherX4, dont know how to upload the completed cartridge to complete the Wherigo. I noticed there were no responses to this post so thought I would try a re-post. Would appreciate advice or a re-direction to an site with helpful info.. Thanks.

My question is, how do you uplaod the completed cartridge to the Wherigo site to get it marked Completed. The Wherigo I did, did not include a completion code. I'm sure it is something easy, but I am not seeing it.

Whether or not a cart shows you the completion code is completely up to the person who created that cart. Older carts (before the new smartphone apps were created) are less likely to show you the completion code since in those days the only devices capable of playing Wherigo automatically saved the GWL (log) file (which you would upload to 'unlock' the cart). (This is all based on what I've read. I'm fairly new to Wherigo and wasn't around back then.)

With the new smartphone apps not saving the GWL file, the unlock code has become more important (relatively speaking). But again, not every cart-maker shows you the code at the end. It seems the Wherigo app for iOS has made an attempt to address this issue. When you open up the Wherigo app, you'll first see your list of carts that you've downloaded. If you click on the blue arrow to the right of a cart which you completed, it should take you to another screen showing you details of that cart. If you have completed that cart, the first thing you see at the top on a big green button is 'Upload unlock file'. Clicking this will take you to the Wherigo website. From there you should navigate to the cart's page then click 'Upload a Log file' on the left.

In theory, you should then be able to click the 'Upload GWL File' and it would then upload the file from your phone or pad. However, near as I can tell, the app does not save a GWL file, it only saves a GWS (save) file. What the main differences are between these two, I don't personally know, but the website doesn't like the GWS file and returns an error.

Until this is fixed I don't think there is a way to unlock the cart by uploading a file. And if you didn't get an unlock code, then I don't think it's possible to unlock the cart at all.

A GWL file is a Groundspeak Wherigo Log file. It contains a list of what you did and when. This is useful if a cartridge author wishes to retrace your steps.

A GWS file is a Groundspeak Wherigo Save file. It's what the code execution environment looked like at that moment. It is used to restore a cartridge.

At the moment, each third-party Wherigo Player developer has his or her own form of GWL. It may either closely parallel Groundspeak's format or it may be very different. As for a GWS file, it's very difficult to make one identical to Groundspeak's format. Therefore, GWS files from third-party Wherigo Players tend not to work on the Wherigo site.

I think I was wrong earlier. I said to upload a GWL file to unlock it. When you click on the Unlock button on a cart's page, it asks for a GWS file. So it should work from within the app (though I've never actually tried).

So to summarize, to unlock a cart from within the app:

1) From the app's main screen, click the blue arrow to the right of the cart's title

2) Click the green "Upload unlock file" button

3) Navigate to the cart's page on the Wherigo website

4) Click the "Unlock" button (with the key on it)

5) Click the "Upload your save game" link under Option 1

6) Finally, click the "Upload GWS File" button

The issue of the GWL file is a separate one, though, as an author, it's one I'd like to see fixed.

RF, so the Wherigo app for iOS keeps a GWL file? Is it possible to see it? When I hook my phone up to my computer and check it in iTunes, I can see the GWC and GWS files, but no GWL.

Also, since the app no longer belongs to a third party, I assume all the kinks will be ironed out eventually. It would be nice for players to upload a log file so the author can see how the cart played out.

Edited by Team Peredox

So to summarize, to unlock a cart from within the app:

1) From the app's main screen, click the blue arrow to the right of the cart's title

2) Click the green "Upload unlock file" button

3) Navigate to the cart's page on the Wherigo website

4) Click the "Unlock" button (with the key on it)

5) Click the "Upload your save game" link under Option 1

6) Finally, click the "Upload GWS File" button

I can confirm this works. I just did the Play Anywhere cart "A Vegas Riddle" by trenkle. I played it in my neighborhood, and I was able to upload the save file and unlock the cart from within the app before I reached my front door.

Groundspeak's intention is to create a Wherigo API for the third-party developers. It will allow them to update their Wherigo Player applications so users can browse, search, download, and unlock cartridges from the application's interface, without going to the site. From what I've heard, it does not seem like they have started developing this. I've already communicated to them what needs to be done and where I see Wherigo heading in the future. For the most part, they seem to agree (or, at least, that's what I was told), but they've been very slow to motivate to get anything done.

I am also trying to join the Wherigo world using my iPhone 4. I've downloaded the Wherigo app from iTunes, and have followed the above instructions up to the "Upload GWS File", it asks me "Did you forget to select a file to upload?" And the "Choose File" button is grayed-out, so I can't click on it. Is anyone else having this issue?

Got it! You have to download it as a "Pocket PC".

Edited by Terents

I downloaded the Groundspeak Wherigo app and successfully used it on the Wherigo Player Tutorial. I enjoyed the experience; however, am I the only person who can't get Pinch and Zoom to work when viewing the Wherigo website from within the app? I haven't read any other complaints about this limitation, but I find it difficult to search, download cartridges, etc. Turning the screen to landscape helps, but functional pinch and zoom would be much better.

Thanks.

Am I the only person who can't get Pinch and Zoom to work when viewing the Wherigo website from within the app?
No, I haven't been able to get that to work on my 4S, either. If I absolutely need to zoom in, I will go to the cartridge's download page in Safari, copy the URL, then paste it in the Wherigo app's address bar.

Last post is over a year old, so I am hoping that maybe something has happened with Wherigo for iphone. I have never found a Wherigo cache, and I don't want to buy a new GPS to do so. HOwever, I do have an iphone (4). What is the latest information on using it to find Wherigo?

Here's a summary: it was developed, Groundspeak bought it, and no further updates have been released. I do not know the full details, but I've pieced together the original developer should be able to make bug fixes in the code, but I don't know about feature updates. The software does work and it seems not to have any major bugs. Until the web site gets an API for the phone apps to access, not much more can be done.

You will see further news on this later this year.