DataMatrix Codes

I’ve been looking into Datamatrix codes lately and have come up with a great idea for utilising one or two as waypoints in a multi cache.

I understand that there are about five freely available readers that you can download to lots of different types of mobile phones.

What I was wondering was, if I created a multi cache that did use some Datamatrix codes at Way points (giving the coords of the next WP), would it get through the approvals process.

Thanks in advance

Tate_alec

Edited by tate_alec

Um, what exactly *is* a Datamatix code and how does it work? I can't seem to find any useful information on Google or Wikipedia. My first impression is that you would run afoul of this section of the guidelines:

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

So, if your cache would require people to download special software to their phone or computer, it probably wouldn't fly.

Um, what exactly *is* a Datamatix code and how does it work? I can't seem to find any useful information on Google or Wikipedia. My first impression is that you would run afoul of this section of the guidelines:

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

So, if your cache would require people to download special software to their phone or computer, it probably wouldn't fly.

Sorry, my bad, It's actually DataMatrix Code.

That was my thoughts too, but from what I've seen lately in Australia the main mobile phone carrier is making it available to its customers and they are doing a lot of poster advertising with it.

Well actually they're using QR codes, but all of the decoding software that they are using, reads Datamatrix.

Here is a link to the wiki info and also a link to some of the software.

Essentially you can encode the coordintes for the next waypoint into the image.

If it doesn't fly, then I think I'll have to come up with something else.

It would be cool though.

Edited by tate_alec

Not everyone has a cell phone. I will never have one, I refused to be attached at the hip to my boss (me). LOL.

The only guarranteed thing that ALL cachers have is 1. a computer, either their own or a shared public one. 2. a GPS of some kind, but for cache finders that's somewhat optional, not so for cache hiders.

Downloading of any 3'rd party software is a no-no as related in the guidelines you agree to when you create a cache page. Your reviewer should give you a hard time publishing your cache idea.

5'th paragraph of Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types in http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Edited by trainlove