A pet peeve

I have 11 cashes I have placed and something that I find really irritating is when a person finds them some people seem to think it is too much bother to take an extra three or four seconds to re-hide them. In the last few weeks I have found three of my cashes totally exposed after they had been found the day before. Are people letting their kids re-hide these things or what?

I had one that was totally exposed the day after it was found, I was in the area and thought I would check on it and had to re-hide the thing. Recently I checked it again and it was gone. I had to replace it today.

It seems that these few clowns that are too lazy to put in the effort to re-hide a cashe should find another hobby, something that they can do by themselves.

There I have vented :ph34r: It takes the owner a heck of a lot longer to purchase the things in the cashe and to hide it than it takes someone to re-hide the cashe

Edited by Royalott

i agree and also get annoyed when ppl move caches, i mean a micro in a tree is a pain, my mom and i have one, how hard is it to put it back where it goes? it makes it much harder on maintenance visits when you have to spend a while searching for it not knowing if it is there or not! its annoying when some cachers decide that they are better hiders, or decide that o the coords brought me here so ill put it back here! all gps's are differnt and read differently!

thats my vent! (well not the whole thing but the other vent is cacher specific and i dont want to name names!)

You are assuming it is cachers leaving the caches exposed. There are at least two other possibilities

1) It could be muggles who happen upo it by chance, don't know what it is or what to do with it, and just drop it. (Better than taking it.)

2) If you've got animals around, (deer, squirrels, dogs} they will sometimes drag unusual things out in the open and then lose interest.

3)Further out in the woods... time, gravity, rain can wear down a cache's cover and leave it exposed.

(I know, that's three)

You are assuming it is cachers leaving the caches exposed. There are at least two other possibilities

1) It could be muggles who happen upo it by chance, don't know what it is or what to do with it, and just drop it. (Better than taking it.)

2) If you've got animals around, (deer, squirrels, dogs} they will sometimes drag unusual things out in the open and then lose interest.

3)Further out in the woods... time, gravity, rain can wear down a cache's cover and leave it exposed.

(I know, that's three)

You make some good points but the latest one was found one day and I went out to check it the next day and it was totaly exposed. This was out in the woods and well hidden. That is the one that I had to replace today. I am sure it was muggled but was just found again and I fear not well hidden.

A muggles would never have happened onto this cashe by chance, unless the cashe hunter was not careful. I would never search for a cashe where someone could see me find it.

The thing is, I started hiding a few of the things for the hunters. I really appreciate the people that hide them for me, I would be fishing if they did not. I felt an obligation to do the same for others. I am just asking that some effort is put into rehiding them.

I did have one moved too. What is up with that? I put the thing where I wanted it and it seems I was out voted.

I love the hobby and just had to gripe a bit about what I consider rude people

I've had 19 caches out, mostly urban. Like the other posters I've noticed about 1 in 4 finders can't be bothered to rehide/recamo my cache; I have a couple of caches which I can watch without being seen. In my experience, muggles problems arise after a poor rehide - not before. Also had 2 "dropped" - one a ground level cache! - (and broken) with the bland assumption that I will recover the bits and mend - no offer to contribute. Have a feeling that Night cachers and Speed cachers also cause cache casualties. Standards are dropping...as caching becomes more popular. In fact it's got so bad that I am considering making all of my caches Premium member only.

A muggles would never have happened onto this cashe by chance, unless the cashe hunter was not careful. I would never search for a cashe where someone could see me find it.

I have a mystery cache. Someone logged "this is another one that I doubt will be muggled". Last log is "Found the cache purely by accident. I'm a letterboxer, and I was looking for a spot to plant a box." So, you never know!

I've had 19 caches out, mostly urban. Like the other posters I've noticed about 1 in 4 finders can't be bothered to rehide/recamo my cache; I have a couple of caches which I can watch without being seen. In my experience, muggles problems arise after a poor rehide - not before. Also had 2 "dropped" - one a ground level cache! - (and broken) with the bland assumption that I will recover the bits and mend - no offer to contribute. Have a feeling that Night cachers and Speed cachers also cause cache casualties. Standards are dropping...as caching becomes more popular. In fact it's got so bad that I am considering making all of my caches Premium member only.

That is a good idea. I just might do that too. I only have 11 out and I have thought about just pulling them and being done with it but Premium Members only just might be the thing to try first.

I make sure that I place my cashes in areas that mugglers would not be a problem. I don't hunt or hide in Urban areas.

I have the opposite problem. One of my caches is very easy to find if you stand in the right spot and look. Finders keep hiding it better than I left it.

I've had this happen constantly to one of my caches. I try to keep a corner of it visible from the right angle so its not too hard to find and people keep hiding it so that it's nearly impossible for the next person to find.

More often however I have the same problem as Royalott. People leaving the cache exposed, or moving it to a different spot. One cache of mine is hidden in a crevice under a boulder. Well hidden but easy enough to find. Every time I made a maint visit (about half a dozen now), it has been moved from under the boulder and was just sitting behind a nearby rock, usually covered with sticks.

Another cache of mine has been moved 30 feet according to the descriptions I've received. I've made two maint visits to find it and haven't been able to. Other people are finding it so I just leave it be.

Sometimes animals move the cache (you could be blocking the entrance to their home) and sometimes

rain may dislodge them, but it happens often enough that I'm certain that geocachers are responsible most of the time. There is one well known power cacher in this area who is notorious for doing this. I guess when you're trying to bag dozens of caches in a day, taking a couple of minutes to re-hide it properly is asking too much.

Other people seem to think they are doing their fellow geocachers a favor by making it easier. I guess they think that everyone else is too stupid to find it.

Group hunters are another major culprit. Often the person who re-hides it isn't the one who found it so putting it back in the right place is just a matter of luck.

Just had one like this yesterday, but the reason I went to check it was 4 DNFs a couple days ago. Here's my log.

Checked it out today. It was a 10 minute walk on the trail, then a couple more minutes to the cache. It did need some maintenance as it had been chewed a bit and the camouflage job was not so good. It was also sitting three feet from the proper spot, just sitting there in the open. I replaced the container with a more secure one and put it back into it's resting spot. All is good and much better hidden now. Total trip was 35 minutes including the time spent at the site. I saw no signs of anyone having been within 20 feet of it since the last finders.

This is quite a common problem.

Some of my hides are in extremely remote areas and sometimes are left in the open.

Luckily, since they are so remote, none of them have been found by muggles yet.

Critters are a constant source of this in our area.

Last year I went with a group of folks to hunt some newly placed caches in the area.

The owner had been out the night before just before dark to check on all of them to make sure they were ready for the group the next morning, which started out at 8AM.

We found about half of his containers just sitting out on the ground in the open.

Lots of raccoon tracks around them convinced us that he had started a little raccoon party by putting out his caches. We all had a good laugh about it and hid them back where they belonged. Don't know if they stayed that way, though, with all the curious little buggers around.

Even though they had been out only a few hours, it was plenty of time for Mr. Raccoon to find them.

After thinking about it I have just changed all my cashes to Premium and Charter members only. I didn't really want to do this but what the heck, I don't want to get upset and pull them all either, just because of a few lazy people. Most are great.

This makes sense because we all know that there could NEVER be a Premium or Charter member that would be so careless.

I do suspect the ego hunters of being too busy to do the right thing though but I could be :) wrong

We have found many caches totally exposed, whether by the last finders, the elements, animals, etc, I don't know. We always hide them back better than we find them. Also make sure that you state that on your cache page as well, to please rehide as/better than you found it. I know, if someone's gonna leave it out, telling them not to on the cache page probably won't help, but you never know.

I do suspect the ego hunters of being too busy to do the right thing though but I could be :) wrong

I've missed something here. What kind of GPS is used for hunting egos? Does finding one get you a smiley?

I don't know if I have the right kind of GPS, but if I find an ego I am taking it. I will leave a rock I find near the cache, that should be an even trade.

I do suspect the ego hunters of being too busy to do the right thing though but I could be :D wrong

I've missed something here. What kind of GPS is used for hunting egos? Does finding one get you a smiley?

I don't know if I have the right kind of GPS, but if I find an ego I am taking it. I will leave a rock I find near the cache, that should be an even trade.

:):sad::(:):D Yes that would be an even trade

I actually DNF'd one of my own caches because it had been moved just 3 feet. It was an urban cache on a town common but the difference of three feet made me think it was gone so I replaced it. Later someone noted they found two and were confused as to which to sign. Opps.

I also spent half an hour searching for one of my caches that had been moved about 30 feet. I later wrote the last finder to see where they had found it and they told me they "found it in the wrong place so they moved it back to where it should be". There GPSr was accurate and mine was not?

As far as the OP line of ranting, I too have found caches completely exposed, both mine and others. If it is someone else’s it is tough to know how hidden it is suppose to be. Although I can't imagine a regular sized cache sitting completely exposed, the cover people use differs a lot so I just cover it enough to not be totally exposed to muggles and send the owner a note if I remember.

Loch Cache

I have seen cache "migration" with several of my hides. Right now, there are 2 of my caches that I cannot find for the life of me but folks keep logging them. I know they just are not anywhere within 12 feet of where I put them originally. Another one keeps being replaced about 15 feet from the orignal spot - I get logs about "putting back where the description fits better".

One of my caches that had been out for 4 years and never had any reported coordinate problems will require a visit soon after a newbie sent me a log stating that he "moved it back to where the coordinates zeroed out". I got 4 DNFs after that log. Finally somebody found it - now I know where to go looking for the thing.

Cachers amaze me sometimes.

I also spent half an hour searching for one of my caches that had been moved about 30 feet. I later wrote the last finder to see where they had found it and they told me they "found it in the wrong place so they moved it back to where it should be". There GPSr was accurate and mine was not?

I have seen cache "migration" with several of my hides. Right now, there are 2 of my caches that I cannot find for the life of me but folks keep logging them. I know they just are not anywhere within 12 feet of where I put them originally. Another one keeps being replaced about 15 feet from the orignal spot - I get logs about "putting back where the description fits better".

One of my caches that had been out for 4 years and never had any reported coordinate problems will require a visit soon after a newbie sent me a log stating that he "moved it back to where the coordinates zeroed out". I got 4 DNFs after that log. Finally somebody found it - now I know where to go looking for the thing.

Cachers amaze me sometimes.

I think one problem, particularly with the newbies, is that folks do/may not understand EPE and how it affects both the hide and the finders. Rather than "hide as well or better than you found it," it would seem logical to "hide ithow you found it, and report any suspected irregularties to the owner."

NoSuchCache and I recently ran in to a similar issue with a "TB Hotel" type cache (my log and her log). I'm happy to say that the cache owner took the logs to heart (even though it felt "funny" leaving them) and got right out and fixed it.

The one issue I'll admit that I sometimes have, though (even with about 250 caches under my belt right now) are "the more complicated hides." That is, hides which come off a specific tree branch, or under a specific bush in a dense area, or something where it could be visually confusing to "remember" the hide after you grab it, move to a "safe" spot to sign, and then return to replace the cache. I have to admit that on a few occassions, I've found myself putting a cache back thinking "Um, I think this is the right place I just pulled this off of" -- I must be getting old or something, eh? But I guess that's part of where the "hide as well or better than you found it" kind of comes in, no?

I have the opposite problem. One of my caches is very easy to find if you stand in the right spot and look. Finders keep hiding it better than I left it.

Really.. you too. Worst part is when you disable a cache, drive 50 Miles to maintain it, and then find it right there... perfectly hidden. Ohh and this happened after 5 DNFs...

The Steaks

I just started geocaching yesterday. Got my first logged cache yesterday. I ordered some nano's and got some of the sealed containers the wife has tucked away to use for caches. The first thing my wife said was that they would get stollen. I replied that if properly hidden in the right place those involved in geocaching would respect what others have done. I guess there are always people that don't care. I would also assume that the last person to sign a log was not the person that left a cache uncared for. I might be wrong but I'll give someone that put their name on the log the benefit. At least until I put out a few.

I hide a lot of pill bottles at historic markers and ghost towns--trying to bring folks to interesting spots. One thing I have found that works is to tie the cache in place (a branch, fence wire, fence post, etc.) with twine leaving just enough extra twine to allow cachers to get to the cache, open it, remove log, sign, and return log to container. Cache doesn't get to move from correct location. Twine usually blends in fairly well with environment that the cache is in.

The one issue I'll admit that I sometimes have, though (even with about 250 caches under my belt right now) are "the more complicated hides." That is, hides which come off a specific tree branch, or under a specific bush in a dense area, or something where it could be visually confusing to "remember" the hide after you grab it, move to a "safe" spot to sign, and then return to replace the cache. I have to admit that on a few occassions, I've found myself putting a cache back thinking "Um, I think this is the right place I just pulled this off of" -- I must be getting old or something, eh? But I guess that's part of where the "hide as well or better than you found it" kind of comes in, no?

Been there done that. You do the best you can, make the appropriate remark in the log and move forward.

I had one that was hidden in a hollow log. It was a camo'd jar that fit perfectly into the log.

I went to check up on it one day and it wasn't there. I found it about 30 feet away, up against a rotten tree, covered with bark and sticks.

I don't think there is any excuse for that except the person that did it is rude and lazy. Just my opinion

After thinking about it I have just changed all my cashes to Premium and Charter members only. I didn't really want to do this but what the heck, I don't want to get upset and pull them all either, just because of a few lazy people. Most are great.

This makes sense because we all know that there could NEVER be a Premium or Charter member that would be so careless.

I do suspect the ego hunters of being too busy to do the right thing though but I could be :P wrong

Getting the approval of my "peers" :P is great. I've changed mine to Premium and Charter only. Hope to reduce the workload for me, and the wear and tear on the caches.

"This makes sense because we all know that there could NEVER be a Premium or Charter member that would be so careless."

I do so love a dreamer! *LOL* I constantly have the same problem with mine....and every cacher in this area IS a Premie! But good luck with that....who knows?!?

One responder made a good point. I have thought of that and this wording is now in the description of a cache I'm in process of developing:

"If found by a caching party, PLEASE allow the original finder to return it to ensure it's replaced exactly as found"

I'm considering making that a standard phrase on all my caches, both future AND via editing into my existing hides' descriptions.

I'v also considered stating in all my caches: "On any cache found not replaced properly, the last log WILL be deleted - no question, no appeal!" While I know I can't check after every logging, and can't ascertain the last logger didn't actually repeat the MIS-placement of the previous finder, I'd hope any & all cachers would take the extra precautions, fearing THEIRS might be the one deleted....since they never know when I'll come to check on it. My thinking is if I can inspire EaCH one to replace it correctly, there'll be fewer problems. Worth a shot?

Did I mention I do luv a dreamer?

~*

"This makes sense because we all know that there could NEVER be a Premium or Charter member that would be so careless."

I do so love a dreamer! *LOL* I constantly have the same problem with mine....and every cacher in this area IS a Premie! But good luck with that....who knows?!?

One responder made a good point. I have thought of that and this wording is now in the description of a cache I'm in process of developing:

"If found by a caching party, PLEASE allow the original finder to return it to ensure it's replaced exactly as found"

I'm considering making that a standard phrase on all my caches, both future AND via editing into my existing hides' descriptions.

I'v also considered stating in all my caches: "On any cache found not replaced properly, the last log WILL be deleted - no question, no appeal!" While I know I can't check after every logging, and can't ascertain the last logger didn't actually repeat the MIS-placement of the previous finder, I'd hope any & all cachers would take the extra precautions, fearing THEIRS might be the one deleted....since they never know when I'll come to check on it. My thinking is if I can inspire EaCH one to replace it correctly, there'll be fewer problems. Worth a shot?

~*

I wish something could be done because I know me, if it happens and I am in the right mood I will just eliminate all my cashes. Right or wrong I can not stand rude people. That is what I consider these people.

I know a lot of people cashe with youngsters and have wondered if they just give it to the kid and tell them to put them back. I don't know. I don't get a thrill out of hiding them, only finding them but I figured it was a sorta duty to the hobby to add cashes.

I an going to make it a point to go out and check all my cashes in the next week or so and if they have been moved I will relocate them again.

Your ideas of an addition to the discription is a good one too

I wish something could be done because I know me, if it happens and I am in the right mood I will just eliminate all my cashes. Right or wrong I can not stand rude people. That is what I consider these people.

Well, geocachers are John Q. Public... most are good, some aren't.

I have a mantra for geocaching that helps me from applying stereotypes:

The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to everyone.

The worst thing about geocaching is... that it is open to everyone!

Enjoy the good and ignore the rest.

I know a lot of people cashe with youngsters and have wondered if they just give it to the kid and tell them to put them back. I don't know. I don't get a thrill out of hiding them, only finding them but I figured it was a sorta duty to the hobby to add cashes.

There is NO obligation to hide caches. I suspect that hiding caches out of a sense of obligation will just lead to troubles.

Hide caches if you think owning and maintaining caches is fun.

In fact there is a prohibition on pod caches that require someone to hide a seed cache in order to log the pod, exactly because folks should not be obligated to hide caches.

Play this game in the manner that is fun for you! :anitongue:

Well, geocachers are John Q. Public... most are good, some aren't.

I have a mantra for geocaching that helps me from applying stereotypes:

The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to everyone.

The worst thing about geocaching is... that it is open to everyone!

Enjoy the good and ignore the rest.

There is NO obligation to hide caches. I suspect that hiding caches out of a sense of obligation will just lead to troubles.

Hide caches if you think owning and maintaining caches is fun.

In fact there is a prohibition on pod caches that require someone to hide a seed cache in order to log the pod, exactly because folks should not be obligated to hide caches.

Play this game in the manner that is fun for you! :anitongue:

This is just a obligation I put on myself. I don't need to I know but that is just me. Everyone should contribute in some way. I am not a joining type and have no interests in group hunts or clubs but there would not be a hobby if we did not help. I only put them in places that I want others to know about, some parking lot at Walmarts does not interest me but since I hike and kayak I see some interesting areas that I like to share.

That is the thing I like about Geocashing. It has taken be to some mighty interesting spots withing a few miles of my home that I was not aware of.

All I want is others to respect my cashes. Most do but my original post was for the few that need a reminder that the rest of us are not here to serve them. Respect is what is needed.

~*

I don't think that's very nice, but I certainly understand your logic/reasoning here. But for me, if I were to find a cache and hide it back exactly as I found it, yet the way I found it was not correct because Joe Cacher a few hours before me re-hid it wrong, and you deleted MY log because of it, I'd be one mad cacher! :anitongue:

Edited by TeamAtlas
Worth a shot?

In my opinion, no. It's not.

No cacher is an island. As a hider, and a seeker, you are part of a community, and you should model your caching behavior accordingly. Your solution is going to result in deleted legitimate finds, from cachers who replaced your cache exactly as they found it. This will cause nothing but angst, which might ultimately backfire on you, badly.

Unless you visit your cache hide after every find, you do not know whether the last cacher to log the find did anything wrong. The last person to log the cache may have carefully replaced the container exactly as they found it without having any way of knowing that it was not as the owner originally intended. If you delete their legitimate find or post a rude note, you would not be accomplishing anything positive.

Edited by succotash

It's one of my pet peeves also. However, since there are "ghost" cachers out there who don't sign the logbook or log online, you can never be sure who did it.

I try to hide it back well if it's in a muggle zone, as you can never tell if the last cacher hid it back as intended. I'd rather see a DNF because someone couldn't find it, rather than a DNF because it was left in the open and a muggle carried it off.

I'd hope any & all cachers would take the extra precautions, fearing THEIRS might be the one deleted....

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

When I go caching, I want to go for the fun and enjoyment of the game.

I certainly don't want FEAR of possible deletion of my log to even enter the equation.

When I cache, I want to feel fun, not fear. That should be reserved to the rattlesnakes, scorpions, and gators I find. :lol:

I used to manage a service related business. We always had a joke that if our technicians had to experience fear when working on a customer's item, we would tack on an extra $25 for fear! :D

So you will delete my online log, and then refuse to respond to my emails, even though I re-hid the container exactly the way I found it?

Thanks for the heads-up.

Now I will know to look for that warning in all cache descriptions in the future. When I see it I will know to ignore ALL caches placed by that hider.

That kind of peer pressure might work on recruits at a military boot camp, but it is illogical and unworkable in this hobby. If you start pulling that stuff on your fellow cachers you are asking for trouble. I want no part of it.

I have 11 cashes I have placed and something that I find really irritating is when a person finds them some people seem to think it is too much bother to take an extra three or four seconds to re-hide them. In the last few weeks I have found three of my cashes totally exposed after they had been found the day before. Are people letting their kids re-hide these things or what?

I had one that was totally exposed the day after it was found, I was in the area and thought I would check on it and had to re-hide the thing. Recently I checked it again and it was gone. I had to replace it today.

It seems that these few clowns that are too lazy to put in the effort to re-hide a cashe should find another hobby, something that they can do by themselves.

There I have vented :lol: It takes the owner a heck of a lot longer to purchase the things in the cashe and to hide it than it takes someone to re-hide the cashe

These same people sign in & log their visit don't they? do the geo-community a favor and send them a nice reminder or delete there log, that would get there attention...

I think a better solution to minimize the problem of "hide drift" would be to:

(1)
Decide
exactly
how you want your cache to be hidden;

(2)
Write up a
very
detailed description of the hide – location, camouflage, orientation, maybe even a few photos –
everything
a person would need to know to re-create the hide
exactly
as you originally placed it; and

(3)
Print the description on bright yellow paper or something, laminate it, and place it in a conspicuous location
inside the cache container

Nobody will ever again be able to claim they didn’t know where or how the container was originally supposed to be placed.

There I have vented :lol: It takes the owner a heck of a lot longer to purchase the things in the cashe and to hide it than it takes someone to re-hide the cashe

Please don't take this as an attack, I just want to point something out.

I see that you really don't get out there much in the way of caching - 42 caches in 2 years? - thus haven't really seen what goes on. Have you taken into consideration that animals often expose caches or worse if they smell anything even remotely interesting to them? I've seen cases where birds, squirrels, raccoons, and even rats have moved a cache away from its hiding place. Heck, I even had a wood rat move an ammo can I placed BEFORE the first find.

Perhaps you should get out there a little more and gain a bit more experience as a cacher before you judge other cachers and their actions site unseen.

I don't know you and have never cached in your area but we have a cacher in our area who had assumed much in the way you have. In finding his caches, one often wonders 'Why the heck would anyone place it like that?' or 'How can anyone expect that to last?' and yes, he gets just as upset when his caches are muggled or damaged by critters - yet like you he blames other cachers for this without even considering that his cache may have been poorly placed, poorly hidden or a critter magnet in the first place.

As for rehides, I would gamble to say that most of us will rehide exactly as hidden or more likely a little better if found too exposed. So before you get your shorts in a bind, get out there and cache a little! Have some fun! This is a game! not a career.

~*

WOW... That would sure backfire! :lol::D:D

That does take some big leaps of assumptions. On that note, I would not look for the cache, not because I fear the loss of the Find, but because I disagree with the attitude that cachers are guilty of not doing a proper rehide by association of being the last one there.

not to add fodder but, :lol:

since I am really new at this (less than a month), after I logged a find, I got really concerned if there was not another log onto the same cache within a few days. I would get concerned that I did not return it properly.

hey kbi, I am sure hopper is just venting.

Having fun

Ron

N6ACH

There I have vented :rolleyes: It takes the owner a heck of a lot longer to purchase the things in the cashe and to hide it than it takes someone to re-hide the cashe

Please don't take this as an attack, I just want to point something out.

I see that you really don't get out there much in the way of caching - 42 caches in 2 years? - thus haven't really seen what goes on. Have you taken into consideration that animals often expose caches or worse if they smell anything even remotely interesting to them? I've seen cases where birds, squirrels, raccoons, and even rats have moved a cache away from its hiding place. Heck, I even had a wood rat move an ammo can I placed BEFORE the first find.

Perhaps you should get out there a little more and gain a bit more experience as a cacher before you judge other cachers and their actions site unseen.

I don't know you and have never cached in your area but we have a cacher in our area who had assumed much in the way you have. In finding his caches, one often wonders 'Why the heck would anyone place it like that?' or 'How can anyone expect that to last?' and yes, he gets just as upset when his caches are muggled or damaged by critters - yet like you he blames other cachers for this without even considering that his cache may have been poorly placed, poorly hidden or a critter magnet in the first place.

As for rehides, I would gamble to say that most of us will rehide exactly as hidden or more likely a little better if found too exposed. So before you get your shorts in a bind, get out there and cache a little! Have some fun! This is a game! not a career.

No problem but since I am an old fart, 68 and scuba dive, kayak at least once or twice a week, am into photography, do a bit of hiking, metal detect and have a home to keep up, I cashe just as much as I want to. I only cashe in the spring and fall as our winters are rather nasty and cashing then doesn't interest me and my summers are full of my other interest.

I have been an outdoors man all my life and I guess I don't have to be a feller that finds 30 or 40 finds a day to know the difference between a coon messing with my cashe and the thing being moved 10 ft and hidden under a log. I don't need to be a seasoned veteran to go out the day after the thing is found and be able to see the dang thing from the trail. These are not Urban cashes, they are hidden in the woods and I try to put them where mugglers will not see a person hunting them for the most part.

This problem is not about my skill looking for a dang cashe. It is also not about my ability to tell the difference between an animal dragging the thing from a hide and some inconsiderate person not taking the time to re-hide the thing.

I may not have the experience you or others have but I really don't care. I can use my GPS and that is good enough for me. I try to support the hobby that I like to enjoy when I feel like it and I like my cashes to be hidden in a careful manner.

... and I like my cashes to be hidden in a careful manner.

Yes. We all do. In fact we all expect that. But, as several caChers (with a c) have suggested, cachers are just people and not all people are gonna do as you wish. That's not to argue or belittle your point, but just to suggest that it might be an unrealistic expectation that shouldn't upset you when it happens.

But, as several caChers (with a c) have suggested, cachers are just people and not all people are gonna do as you wish. That's not to argue or belittle your point, but just to suggest that it might be an unrealistic expectation that shouldn't upset you when it happens.

Good counsel. This also applies to other situations that will be encountered in this hobby, as well as in life in general.

I have been an outdoors man all my life and I guess I don't have to be a feller that finds 30 or 40 finds a day to know the difference between a coon messing with my cashe and the thing being moved 10 ft and hidden under a log. I don't need to be a seasoned veteran to go out the day after the thing is found and be able to see the dang thing from the trail.

This problem is not about my skill looking for a dang cashe. It is also not about my ability to tell the difference between an animal dragging the thing from a hide and some inconsiderate person not taking the time to re-hide the thing.

I may not have the experience you or others have but I really don't care. I can use my GPS and that is good enough for me. I try to support the hobby that I like to enjoy when I feel like it and I like my cashes to be hidden in a careful manner.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, and I agree with you.

You are obviously VERY frustrated with the problem of cachers not putting your caches back the way you intended. I understand, and I sympathize.

... which is why I was sort of hoping to hear what you thought of my idea. Have you considered it?

Here it is again:

I think a better solution to minimize the problem of "hide drift" would be to:

(1)
Decide
exactly
how you want your cache to be hidden;

(2)
Write up a
very
detailed description of the hide – location, camouflage, orientation, maybe even a few photos –
everything
a person would need to know to re-create the hide
exactly
as you originally placed it; and

(3)
Print the description on bright yellow paper or something, laminate it, and place it in a conspicuous location
inside the cache container

Nobody will ever again be able to claim they didn’t know where or how the container was originally supposed to be placed.

Do you think that would work for you, Royalott?