Need Cacher Advise/Input

Are there any issues with creating an Unknown cache and only providing the actual coords to certain cachers? My idea was that the cacher would get a passcode from another cache and would only then be given the final coords. This passcode will change randomly, so not every cacher will have the opportunity to get the final location. My other option is to just place the cache and not list it. Ideas?

Are there any issues with creating an Unknown cache and only providing the actual coords to certain cachers? My idea was that the cacher would get a passcode from another cache and would only then be given the final coords. This passcode will change randomly, so not every cacher will have the opportunity to get the final location. My other option is to just place the cache and not list it. Ideas?

If the cache is not posted, then you can't log it as a find. I am not sure why you would want to do that.

As for not giving all cachers the chance for the 2nd phase, what is your thought behind that?

Are there any issues with creating an Unknown cache and only providing the actual coords to certain cachers?

Without addressing any rules or guidelines, I'm curious why you would want to limit it to certain cachers? Have a grudge against someone or group? Trying to place a cache only your friends can find? It just doesn't make sense to me. I want my caches to be found by everyone, not limited.

Are there any issues with creating an Unknown cache and only providing the actual coords to certain cachers? My idea was that the cacher would get a passcode from another cache and would only then be given the final coords. This passcode will change randomly, so not every cacher will have the opportunity to get the final location.

It wouldn't get approved.

My other option is to just place the cache and not list it. Ideas?

You can do that. It would be like a "club" cache or a temporary cache placed at an event where people can learn about caching, but no one can log it online.

Why would you want to do that?

Are there any issues with creating an Unknown cache and only providing the actual coords to certain cachers?

Without addressing any rules or guidelines, I'm curious why you would want to limit it to certain cachers? Have a grudge against someone or group? Trying to place a cache only your friends can find? It just doesn't make sense to me. I want my caches to be found by everyone, not limited.

Funny how this little snippet is taken completely out of context. As I stated, there would be a passcode that changes and when a cacher got the correct passcode, then he/she would be given the coords to the final cache. Those passcodes are in the original TRADITIONAL cache. The code means you've won and get access to the second mystery cache. That cache would have, on a regular basis for winners, an unactivated coin, or TB, or something like that. It's funny how certain people always jump to the "what do you have against certain cachers" statements. How about just asking for clarification before ASSUMING that I'm cherrypicking cachers!

Funny how this little snippet is taken completely out of context. As I stated, there would be a passcode that changes and when a cacher got the correct passcode, then he/she would be given the coords to the final cache. Those passcodes are in the original TRADITIONAL cache. The code means you've won and get access to the second mystery cache. That cache would have, on a regular basis for winners, an unactivated coin, or TB, or something like that. It's funny how certain people always jump to the "what do you have against certain cachers" statements. How about just asking for clarification before ASSUMING that I'm cherrypicking cachers!

That is a much clearer explanation of what you intend to do.

One suggestion would be making it a 3 part, with stage 1 being a traditional cache, and description of your extras on the page. Stage 2 coords would be placed in stage 1 permanently. Stage 2 (not listed) would be where you place the final co-ords for the mystery cache, which you could change whenever you need.

Stage 3 could be a mystery cache, and listed as such, with the mystery being finding stage 2.

Sound convoluted? Good! I think that's what you are after. :ph34r:

If the cache is not posted, then you can't log it as a find. I am not sure why you would want to do that.

You can't log every stage of a multi as a find. I don't see how this is any different. I do, however, see a couple of issues.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by a "passcode" . If someone must send you the correct passcode via an email message and receive an email message with the final coordinates, that is not allowed. This section of the guidelines would apply:

The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page. For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be.

You could create a website that has a form for entering the passcode and returns the coordinates, as long as it doesn't require a login, or is hosted on a site which has commercial advertising banners. Personally, I dislike caches require me to visit a stage of a cache to obtain some information, then have to access to the internet to use that information to get the next set of coordinates. The amount of time I have available to be outside geocaching is limited, so I would prefer to spend that time actually looking for caches, rather than solving puzzles for a set of coordinates. I do, in general, like puzzle caches, but only ones that I can obtain all the coordinates I will need to get to the final cache before I leave home.

The first sentence in that section of the guideline raises another issue. If you plan on changing the passcode so that a "winning" passcode entitles someone to find the final stage, that would probably work for the local caching community. However, the general caching community includes geocachers that may only be visiting the area for a day or two, or even a few hours. If I was in an area for a short period of time (it might even be as close as 30-40 miles from home) and got a "losing" passcode, it's very unlikely that I could go back to visit the cache until I got a winning code.

Again, the winning code will simply allow access to a second cache and will have nothing to do with the ability to log the first.

I guess I've got my answer in that I should just put the second, prize cache out and not list it. I was simply looking for a way to get the prize to the cacher without having to mail it, and afford them the opportunity to log another smiley to claim their prize.

Thanks to all who participated.