"gps enabled" clarification

Vinny & Sue Team

(This is Sue of Vinny & Sue Team, i.e., no funny business! :ph34r: )

If I get a HP ipaq pocket pc WITH a built in GPS (I'm looking at a hw6510 on ebay), is that all I need for Wherigo to run successfully (after installing the free Wherigo software)?

OR... do I also need to install gps navigation software on the pda (from hp, for example)?

--------------------------

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

OR... do I also need to install gps navigation software on the pda (from hp, for example)?

The Wherigo software only needs an available GPSr. No navigation software is required.

Just what we need; a Psycho Wherigo cache series... One of these days I'll come up your way specifically for the Psycho caches. Perhaps that's incentive enough to wait.

The Wherigo software only needs an available GPSr. No navigation software is required.

Just what we need; a Psycho Wherigo cache series... One of these days I'll come up your way specifically for the Psycho caches. Perhaps that's incentive enough to wait.

Thanks Ranger Fox :ph34r:

Psycho Wherigo here we come :P:D

------------------------

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

Note for anyone who may be considering a hw6510 like I was: after spending all day obsessing over pda's, searching ebay, reading specs and reviews I decided NOT to get the hw6510.

My main reasons were: 1) when the gps is in use it reportedly drains the battery very quickly, and 2) it has a small 240 x 240 pixel display which, from reading another Wherigo thread, the Wherigo software does not cater for (at least not yet). Also the processor speed is not that great, especially when the gps is being used.

Newer/better ipaq models with larger screen and a built-in gps where way over what I wanted to spend and I ended up getting a hx2415 - no gps but much faster, bigger screen, more memory, better battery. If I want to Wherigo I'll have to buy gps capability separately. Sigh!

----------

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team