Guardrail caches in Washington

OzzieSan

Then there is the issue of ROW vs. OWNERSHIP.

And yes, the county cleverly addresses ownership in D.2....

D.2 says the county can put a lein against the property. Which doens't address the ROW vs. Land Onwership issue I was alluding to. Quite often the land owner owned to the middle of the road and the ROW is an easment. Plus this is a county code. Each county can be different.

In my state some counties claim a ROW on every section and quater section line. Per that code a cache in a remote tract of land there with the owners permission could be seized and a lein places against the film canister. Which gets me back to my generic point. Each cache needs to be taken on it's own merit.

Addressing your OP. More than once I've cut trees in the ROW without a thought as to who may have owned them. They had fallen across the road.

I was merely commenting on the ownership issue. I agree with RK that the ordinance doesn't deal with ownership. It doesn't really matter since it was not germain to the OP though.

But back to the topic I suspect that, like many land managers, the cache reviewers would rather not know about caches with "iffy" permission. However, if you ask either directly they will be forced to say no.

Note that I am not a reviewer and am only making assumptions that would not apply to them all.

...I fail to see the relevance of section easements in Idaho....

Ada County Idaho to be specific, but they are referencing state code. WA I'm about 68.5%* sure would have a similar State Code which would give the County ROW that has nothing whatsoever to do with actual roads, or even roads to be built within our lifetimes, and for which your county code would apply and not even the county would know (or care) that it did.

Which keeps getting back to the point. Each cache in each location needs to be taken on it's own merit. There is far more variability than you seem to have in mind. Even when you have something that seems so clear cut that there is no room for doubt.

*68.5% comes from a common thing amongh states. When a state bumps into a problem they first ask "What did our neighboring states do when they bumped into this problem?" Then they borrow the solution. Idaho looks to it's neighbors. Washington would look to it's Neighbors. Historicly access roads are built on property lines. Property lines (at least when roads were first built) tend to follow section and quarter section lines. Hence why there is a ROW related law about section lines and why I can speculate with medium confidence that WA would have something similar insofar as ROW on it's books.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Of course I knew they were reviewers. They knew I knew. So now you know I knew. Anybody else need to know?

I knew you knew but I didn't know they didn't know you knew. :rolleyes:

Huh? Wait... I'm running out of fingers and toes! ;):D

You just need to upgrade from that Maggie to a good gps like a Garmin and you'd be able to keep up. ;)

Of course I knew they were reviewers. They knew I knew. So now you know I knew. Anybody else need to know?

I knew you knew but I didn't know they didn't know you knew. :rolleyes:

Huh? Wait... I'm running out of fingers and toes! :D;)

You just need to upgrade from that Maggie to a good gps like a Garmin and you'd be able to keep up. ;)

Ouch. A double hit. Wow! :D:D