Garmin Topo U.S. 24K

woodman5898

I have the 'Above the Timber' Washington maps. It shows alot. What you'd see on a typical 24K topo map. Anything in particular you're interested in?

Link.

http://www.abovethetimber.com/Features.htm

I haven't seen the Garmin stuff yet.

I'm looking at Above the Timber maps too. If they only had maps for Oregon as well. As I live in Vancouver, WA I'd like to have both states. That's where Garmin might be better.

I didn't know Garmin had 24K Topos for entire states. I thought they just had national parks. Is their US Topo 24K?

I just found out about them over the weekend.

Garmin 24k

So - Garmin comes at $99 for WA and OR combined on a micro SD card, whereas Above The Timber sells WA alone for download for $79?

Is there a quality difference?

Pricey.. I wish it came on CD/DVD so I could load it into Mapsource.

I've never bought maps from Garmin on SD cards so pardon the potentially ignorant question - why can't they be copied from the card to your PC? Assuming the maps are just IMG files, can't you put the micro-SD card in the SD adpater and put that in a reader attached to the PC and copy away? Or are they protected somehow?

One cool thing I saw with them: routable trails. If the trails are reasonably complete that's a semi-cool feature...

Pricey.. I wish it came on CD/DVD so I could load it into Mapsource.

I've never bought maps from Garmin on SD cards so pardon the potentially ignorant question - why can't they be copied from the card to your PC? Assuming the maps are just IMG files, can't you put the micro-SD card in the SD adpater and put that in a reader attached to the PC and copy away? Or are they protected somehow?

One cool thing I saw with them: routable trails. If the trails are reasonably complete that's a semi-cool feature...

The SD part of SD cards stands for Secure Data. There is a mechanism to protect the data on the card, and PC's don't have the requisite mechanism to read the data.

Jim

Hmm. Poorly worded original question.

TOPO maps specifically say you can't copy the data from the card. That's clear - they are using CPRM - got it.

Page: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/topo/index.jsp

The 24k page, however, doesn't say anything about not copying, and further confuses the issue by including an SD card adapter. If they were only designed to be inserted into GPS units, why include the adapter?

Page: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/topo/topous24kcard.jsp

So I guess most specifically: has anyone actually purchased one of these 24k cards and tried to copy the data?

The 24k page, however, doesn't say anything about not copying, and further confuses the issue by including an SD card adapter. If they were only designed to be inserted into GPS units, why include the adapter?
It's not a PC adapter. It lets you plug a microSD card into a GPSr that takes SD cards (like the Colorado).

It's not a PC adapter. It lets you plug a microSD card into a GPSr that takes SD cards (like the Colorado).

Didn't know the Colorado used SD instead of microSD - interesting. Though there is no such thing as a "PC adapter"...

Regardless, the question still stands. Does anyone actually have verifiable data about the 24k card? While likely that is uses CPRM like the TOPO cards do the website doesn't specify and so far nobody commenting here actually has one...

I received my copy of the Garmin Northwest 24k last week, and had a chance to try it out over the weekend. I really like it. It is like looking at a 7.5 topo map - all the contours and other detail appear to be there. I think it will be great for caching, with a much higher, more usable level of detail than the 100k topo product. One thing to note, though, is that with that much detail, it can get a bit ugly (and slow to load) if you zoom out too far. (Of course if you're zoomed out, you can turn off the 24k layer and show whatever else you have loaded.) On the other hand, zoomed in to, say, .3 mi or closer, it looks fantastic.

I tried it on my Colorado and my 60CSx. It looks good on the 60CSx, the main difference being you don't get the shading that is optional on the Colorado.

I did not try copying the map file to my PC. I have the National Geographic TOPO product for that, so I'm happy with the SD format for this product.

Screen Shots:

(The red trails are from Moun10bike's Northwest Trails mapset, not the Topo product.)

Edited by Lightning Jeff