What do you like to find?

I'm trying to find nice swag to put in the caches I visit but I was wondering what people like to find, excluding winning lottery tickets and cold hard cash! I've been thinking of the following things:

1. costume jewelry (my late aunt would love to know her rings got a second chance at life!)

2. foreign coins (random coins from various countries or a few from one country?)

3. US $1 coins

What else?

Sally

I'm trying to find nice swag to put in the caches I visit but I was wondering what people like to find, excluding winning lottery tickets and cold hard cash! I've been thinking of the following things:

1. costume jewelry (my late aunt would love to know her rings got a second chance at life!)

2. foreign coins (random coins from various countries or a few from one country?)

3. US $1 coins

What else?

Sally

anything clean and unbroken.

I like to find geocoins and travel bugs.

But, if we are talking about items I cannot keep than I like to find keychains, items about the place I am caching in (brochures, pictures etc), Groundspeak items (frog atenna, pins, stuffed animals etc), signature items are great too!

My preferences are a bit different. I like to find:

1. A water resistant container with a dry log.
  2. A cache placed in a scenic or historic location (or both).
  3. A container big enough to hold trackable items.
  4. Kids toys for the caches I hunt with my children.
  5. I rarely trade anything, so it doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive the items are.

Here in the UK some of the Sunday newspapers sometimes include a DVD in a cardboard sleeve (rather than a fullsize box). I've seen quite a few of those in caches and my other half sometimes picks one as a swap.

As far as containers go, I'm a fan of ammo cans. I wish they were cheaper to buy on eBay though (the postage tends to match the price of the can).

Edited by Crid

A well hidden ammo can in the woods.

As far as swag goes, I look for geocaching items (patches, pins, stickers, magnets, collectibles). I don't trade all that much b but I do leave a signature item in any regular sized one that I find (as long as I remember to bring them)...80's cassette tapes in a Ziploc bag. I have hundreds.

Are you asking what we like to find as far as the container or swag?

For containers, I enjoy a mix of types.

For swag, you could leave a ready to go cammo'd matchstick holder complete with a logbook & pencil. A finder has a nice container to hide, and the whole caching community benefits by a new hide coming out.

don't trade swag items too often. smashed pennies and pathtags are among the things I'll trade for. sometimes there's dog squeeky toys and will trade something for those. a very popular swag item for our area is the pa geocacher keychains made by pa-drifter.

I must admit that I have a personal policy of always leaving something, even if I don't take anything. Exceptions are micros (obviously) or if there simply isn't any room for anything I'm carrying.

I have no desire to write TNLN.

i think the things we enjoy finding the most in caches are foriegn coins/notes, our coins/notes seem boring to us as were so used to them ,but seeing another countries currency is great,

My GF loves finding a note with a thousand or million denomination on it, we really enjoy checking the currency conversion rate, to find out it's worth about 2p in english money but is such a pretty note for such a small ammount.

I have tried to make my trade goods match the season/holiday that I'm caching around...The last couple or three weeks I have been trading in U.S. Flags in those caches big enought to hold them. I don't really have a favorite kind of swag...I just see what's there and see if anything stikes my fancy. I hate to see empty keyboxes so I keep some small pins that will fit in the larger ones and enrich them after I find them.

I do have a questions for you guys....would be be proper to leave small bottles of hand sanitizer and other cleaning items in a cache? I have come across a source of some of these things that make them affordable for swag..I just don't know about putting that kind of stuff in a cache. :ph34r:

Depending on the size of the cache container, I've noticed that people tend to pick up the stuff we leave behind. Here are some of the things we use as trade items:

1.) Books that you've read and would like to share with others

2.) CD's/DVD's that you just don't listen to or watch anymore (make sure they are not scratched!)

3.) CD-ROM games that our kids have outgrown and can pass on to another

4.) Cute pairs of socks from the $ store.

5.) A Travel Pack of bio-degradable toilet paper....boy, would I like to find that from time to time!

There ya go!

Edited by winwin56

3. US $1 coins

I like finding these so I can smash 'em in my coin press. :)

I personally don't like seeing folding money in a cache. It's not good for geocaching if the misconception is that caches contain money. Get it?

BTW:

Where's George doesn't recognize geocaching as a proper movement of currency and has really P.O.'d some geocachers by deleting their accounts for putting WG dollars in caches.

3. US $1 coins

What else?

Sally

Frankly I don't care what is in the cashe, other than a pencil and a notebook to sign.

I know this is just me but I just enjoy the hunt and never take anything or put anything in. That is for others I guess. I just love the new spots this hobby takes me to and I try to place my hides in areas that a person would enjoy visiting. It is amazing the places withing 10 miles of my home that I have been taken to, a beaver dam within my little town limits that I was not aware of and actually nobody I have talked to knew it was there either. Thank goodness for the lady that hid the cashe. I have been taken to many places like that and that is what I enjoy.

3. US $1 coins

I like finding these so I can smash 'em in my coin press. :)

I personally don't like seeing folding money in a cache. It's not good for geocaching if the misconception is that caches contain money. Get it?

BTW:

Where's George doesn't recognize geocaching as a proper movement of currency and has really P.O.'d some geocachers by deleting their accounts for putting WG dollars in caches.

It has been my habit to place a silver half dollar in my newly placed cashes. These are old halves that I have found metal detecting. These are for the first to find.