Getting started and using a compass...?

gcrosie

Hi. I am new to this. Not sure if I'm even doing things right to post a question.. but this is where i stumbled so I'm going with it. I live in Riverview, NB (canada) .. and though my shift work doesn't cooperate much, I would like to get out with someone, to learn better, how to do this. I've been out a few times but I feel like I go in more circles than not, not having anyone at hand to answer immediate questions or show me something I may need more clear understanding of. If anyone lives nearby and wouldn't mind being a "mentor" type... I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know where to find a decent, user friendly sight, on learning how to use a regular compass? I had someone show me over a month ago... and my retention isn't much to speak of. I wouldn't trust me or it now, if i got lost in the woods... Again.. thanks. :(

gcrosie

Cardinal rule for GEOCACHING.

WHEN YOU PARK -- MARK!

Use your GPS and mark your parking place before you venture into the woods or even the urban jungle. One can get turned around very quickly when one is concentrating on looking for a cache rather than remembering which way you WERE going.

WHEN YOU PARK -- MARK!

One night at 3AM, I got myself turned around good and was lost in the woods on a moonless night! ALAS! If it were not for my quarter mile range REMOTE STARTER I would have spent a cold night in the bush. I started my truck which was just in range and which was DIRECTLY behind me when I thought I was headed FOR it.

WHEN YOU PARK -- MARK!

Folks will chime in with other help, but that is what I offer for a beginner.

Get yourself to an event ... a great opportunity to meet up with other cachers, most of which would be more than glad to show you the ropes and maybe even arrange a caching run. Looks like you just missed one in your area ... GC1D34D

thanks.. i attended that one...

Cardinal rule for GEOCACHING.

WHEN YOU PARK -- MARK!

Use your GPS and mark your parking place before you venture into the woods or even the urban jungle. One can get turned around very quickly when one is concentrating on looking for a cache rather than remembering which way you WERE going.

WHEN YOU PARK -- MARK!

One night at 3AM, I got myself turned around good and was lost in the woods on a moonless night! ALAS! If it were not for my quarter mile range REMOTE STARTER I would have spent a cold night in the bush. I started my truck which was just in range and which was DIRECTLY behind me when I thought I was headed FOR it.

WHEN YOU PARK -- MARK!

Folks will chime in with other help, but that is what I offer for a beginner.

Thanks... I guess i'm being cautious .

Reading thru comments in diff topics on here, people have suggested having a compass nearby for situations where GPS' lose satellite tracking and /or batteries die and no replacables on hand. Batteries are within my control and not having batteries wouldn't be an issue, but I've already been out a couple times, thankfully not in unknown territory, where I've lost the satellite tracking and once (in my backyard practically), where I did get turned around so I know how easy that can happen. I've parked and marked, but if i lose the satellite, my gps is't much help, so, i figured knowing how to read a compass would be practical backup... :-)