Would you delete the find

geosliders

So, the common question comes about - what makes you delete a find?

Some of our EC's are a little harder - you will need to crawl around on the rocks and find the locations of what we have described (honestly, who wouldn't want to do that!! :( ) In our description we say upfront - it's not the right or wrong we are looking for - it's the " I read it and tried my best" that we want. There are some who try and the answers are wrong - no big deal - I reply thanking them for trying and tell them how they did, etc. Hopefully this way they will learn something new and have a little fun.

THEN, there are the ones - I forgot to take a picture, I didn't want to get out of the car so I took a picture while driving by (its a bike path along a 2 lane highway), or the ones who log and never send anything at all. I admit, I am a softee and I have only deleted one log because it was obvious he had never been there.

What do you do?

If there is any question that they didn't not visit the site I delete the log. I have one EarthCache that is a 5.75 mile hike and I have deleted logs of people standing beside their cars just inside the state park.

I also have try to require photo evidence of the visit by doing something that I specificially request, whether it be holding your GPSr, licking a building, or get into Fat Man's Misery.

Same with my geocaches, you have to sign the logbook. You cannot arrive at GZ and see my ammo box 50 feet up in the tree and claim a find. You have to get to it and open it to sign the logbook.

I don't like "geospotting" or "earthspotting".

I delete the finds that don't meet my logging requirements. Sometimes cachers don't have cameras, and if they contact me first I will work with them and allow the find.

My logging requirements are simple... Post a picture of you at the site, face included and answer the questions to the best of your ability :( .

I've only deleted 2 logs, both logged a find, but then refused to even e-mail requesting an e-mail. There was a 3rd one I deleted because he went on a rant about a comment I put in one of the descriptions about raising the price of the state park admission then attacked my geological knowledge. I invited him to edit his log to be more polite, but he didn't. I have since removed the political comment and haven't heard from him again.

I have worked with some people that posted notes thinking they couldn't figure out the answers, almost all got enough to turn the note to a log (you want to talk about softie :( )

The is one that I am being hard nosed on. White Point Hydrothermal Vents. It is a 5/5 requiring you to dive into about 10 to 30 feet of water off the Pacific Coast. One guy wanted to log a find without even getting wet. At least he asked before he tried to log it as a find.

Edit to Fix link

Edited by TerryDad2

I also deleted two logs.

They were there and posted the photo correctly - but after numerous emails to complete the "learning" part of the Earthcache,a nd replies that they would - nothing was forthcoming.

So deletion. Unfortunatelt I felt I needed to do it, as the rest of the finders take the time and are honouring to the rules of Earthcaching, therefore we have a standard to uphold.

" I read it and tried my best" that we want.

I did one that the Geosliders helped me understand better when I got the answers wrong. To me I didn't understand the question correctly and went off topic of what they wanted as the answer. Even though I answered it wrong after they explained it better I was able to send them the right answer. I like it when I get e-mails back if I am wrong. It helps me understand things better.

Thanks Genegene - I remember that one.

I agree the hard part is that so many people, most in fact, really do put the effort in and earn the smiley. I just have a hard time deleting a find because I try very hard to remember this is a game and it should be treated as such and not taken so seriously - just MHO. I have had cachers make comments about doing the cache and the next or last cacher didn't complete all of it and they were not to happy that the smiley was still there - I completely understand and they have every right to mention it.

I feel it says more about the cacher than anything else and truly affects me very little in the big picture - it's the whole being fair to everyone thing that just tends to bug me and instigates my "delete" trigger finger - although as a softee (apparently not as much at TerryDad2 :) ) it happens very little - actually, once - I guess there are worse things we could be known for.

I have a couple of earthcaches (soon to be three) and I make the requirements simple. I am even very leniant with the answers, as long as they take a stab at the questions. If they are wrong, I politely tell them that they are wrong and give them the right answer. There have been occaisions where the cacher doesn't even bother with the questions or picture (usually a cacher with less than 100 finds). In that case, I send them a reminder email immidiately, then another one the week later. If the cacher has failed to meet the requirements in two weeks, the log gets deleted and I invite the finder to log the find again if they bother to meet the requirements. I find it is important to preserve the integrety of my earthcaches. My cache, my rules.

I have 4 ECs and as long as the cacher takes a good educated stab at the logging requirements (and I always include something that makes them have to go to the site and not find the answers on the Internet) I will let something close count as an answer. If they are way off (and no one has been yet) I can see it, but not yet.

I deleted the first log ever.

I had someone log and say that he/she was there with friends..but no one else logged that day and after I emailed him/her for SOME sort of answer and got no response, I deleted the log.

I dunno that I'm happy about it, but there it is. You can't claim if you haven't even made an effort.

licking a building,

Excuse me? I know my professor made us chew on rock slivers to "feel" the difference between a clay or sand majority in the specimen - but, lick a building?

Maybe he was thinking of a picture of me doing an earthcache in his home state... but I was licking a cave not a building. :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...7e-d0b56e031989

- Rev Mike

Well....this can develop into a "hot" topic very quickly.

I've never had to delete logs because the EC's I've created have a specific task associated with them and the visitor cannot complete the task without having to get out his/her car and actually getting close to the "object" in question. Nowdays with Panoramio getting more and more pictures in Google Earth many sites have photographic portfolios that would shame any top model so I guess photos can be obtained and photoshopped accordingly.

I have however perceived that cachers treat EC's as easy finds and many times will log the find BEFORE e-mailing the owner. That get's my blood boiling.

However, at the end of it all, the EC developer has chosen a site, researched it and has sent an open invitation to all. Those that visit the site will learn something while those that cheat will not. Who is the real looser? I say let them keep all their finds and live with their conscience.

I have however perceived that cachers treat EC's as easy finds and many times will log the find BEFORE e-mailing the owner. That get's my blood boiling.

Obviously if you request the cacher email you for the okey-dokey before posting, that is your prerogative, and you might expect them to do just that...However, many cachers are used to logging the cache first and then emailing the info to the cache owner. It's just how it's most often done.

Sometimes it's because photos are required and there is no way to send photo through the system. A lot of cache owners do not post their personal email addresses, for good reason. No photo, no found it for those cache owners.

Other times it's just the most logical thing to do. Some folks want to keep their "finds" in order, and prefer to log everything in the order they did it. It can take days or even weeks to hear back from a cache owner if they are on vacation or don't check their geocaching email regularly. Some folks use one account just for geocaching email traffic, and may not check it daily, so they don't know they have a message.

Some of those people don't know they could post a note to the cache page and change it into a found log later, so they delay logging until they do finally hear back from the cache owner. In that time, they can be seriously behind in logging, and may forget details about other caches they enjoyed and wanted to write nice logs about. You may even forget about a particular cache if you don't hear back from the owner. So it just makes better sense to follow the direction for the cache, log it, and presume it will go through.

Personally, I don't penalize people for making an honest effort and not quite getting the details right. I want people to learn from their experience. It doesn't matter to me whether they learn while they are there or during their emails back and forth to me. After all, my students don't learn everything perfectly the first time I teach it-- no matter how well I teach it--and sometimes have to be taught the correct answer. Why should earthcaches be that different?

Folks come to my earthcaches, they see them, experience them, try to figure out the answers and send me a note. If they are right I send them a "thanks for visiting" note, and if they are wrong, I tell them how to get the right answer. They learn something new and experience the cache either way. It's all good.

Edited by Neos2

Obviously if you request the cacher email you for the okey-dokey before posting, that is your prerogative, and you might expect them to do just that...However, many cachers are used to logging the cache first and then emailing the info to the cache owner. It's just how it's most often done.

Sometimes it's because photos are required and there is no way to send photo through the system. A lot of cache owners do not post their personal email addresses, for good reason. No photo, no found it for those cache owners.

Other times it's just the most logical thing to do. Some folks want to keep their "finds" in order, and prefer to log everything in the order they did it. It can take days or even weeks to hear back from a cache owner if they are on vacation or don't check their geocaching email regularly. Some folks use one account just for geocaching email traffic, and may not check it daily, so they don't know they have a message.

Some of those people don't know they could post a note to the cache page and change it into a found log later, so they delay logging until they do finally hear back from the cache owner. In that time, they can be seriously behind in logging, and may forget details about other caches they enjoyed and wanted to write nice logs about. You may even forget about a particular cache if you don't hear back from the owner. So it just makes better sense to follow the direction for the cache, log it, and presume it will go through.

If your request includes uploading of photos then YES, give them the benefit of the doubt and allow the log before the e-mail. However, when the only requirement for logging a cache is to get the answers right (or at least learn something) then there is no excuse not to comply with the owners wishes.

Personally, I don't penalize people for making an honest effort and not quite getting the details right. I want people to learn from their experience. It doesn't matter to me whether they learn while they are there or during their emails back and forth to me. After all, my students don't learn everything perfectly the first time I teach it-- no matter how well I teach it--and sometimes have to be taught the correct answer. Why should earthcaches be that different?

Folks come to my earthcaches, they see them, experience them, try to figure out the answers and send me a note. If they are right I send them a "thanks for visiting" note, and if they are wrong, I tell them how to get the right answer. They learn something new and experience the cache either way. It's all good.

I have the same philosophy.

I'm also in a bit of dilemma trying to decide whether or not to delete logs that don't satisfy the requirements set forth which are really pretty simple. Answer some questions and post a photgraph with your log. Alot of people will log a find without completing the requirements.

When I set out to "find" an earthcache I look at the information on the webpage, bring all the equipment I will need and go to the site. What's so hard about that? My thought is that the folks who don't complete the requirements are just looking for numbers and not any learning experience.

My feeling now is that I will get hardnosed about this and delete their logs.

Edited by Nerves

Speaking for myself here :blink: .

Lately I been contacting finders of my ECs who don't meet the logging requirements and ask them to post pictures or send me the answers to the questions :blink: . If they dont reply or fail to follow the requirements I delete the find :D .

If the find seems bogus, I delete the find without contacting the finder :blink: .

No pics on the e'cache or the other caches.

I received 2 recent longs on my Earthcache in Arizona and neither sent an email with the answers to the questions. I have sent 2 emails to each logger requesting the answers and have received no response to either. Only one posted no photo, the other posted a photo of the correct formation but no GPSr in the photo (I don't require they actually be in the photo I just ask for the GPSr). How many any emails is fair to send to request the information before I delete the log? In the second email I pointed out the guidelines for Earthcaches and the logging requirements.

I received 2 recent longs on my Earthcache in Arizona and neither sent an email with the answers to the questions. I have sent 2 emails to each logger requesting the answers and have received no response to either. Only one posted no photo, the other posted a photo of the correct formation but no GPSr in the photo (I don't require they actually be in the photo I just ask for the GPSr). How many any emails is fair to send to request the information before I delete the log? In the second email I pointed out the guidelines for Earthcaches and the logging requirements.

The first one that you mentioned should be deleted without hesitation. I've deleted similar posts on mine, where they don't even try. The other folks look like they simply forgot to include the GPSr, and going 2,000 miles just to take another pic seems a bit much. I would let them slide. Maybe put the pic requirements in bold for the next time, but I wouldn't delete these guys.

The first one that you mentioned should be deleted without hesitation. I've deleted similar posts on mine, where they don't even try. The other folks look like they simply forgot to include the GPSr, and going 2,000 miles just to take another pic seems a bit much. I would let them slide. Maybe put the pic requirements in bold for the next time, but I wouldn't delete these guys.

I am not terribly strict with the photo, (as they did have the correct image in the background) but neither answered the questions. I will give it a few more days and send one more request. One of them I think just logged it, but given they were a new cacher with only 12 finds, I want to try to let them at least have a chance to try to answer the questions, and have given them the benefit of the doubt, but if they don't respond to a third request I probably will delete them.

OK, I don't own an earthcache, but I have found a few.

Being a bit tech-challanged and working this game on a low tech basis anyway (no GPS- maps only), when I have looked for this type of "cache" I have had to explain to the owner that I can not upload photos. But I answer the questions and offer, gladly, to send a hard copy of the photos. So far, only one owner insisted that I do this. Other owners have let the find stand. I am happy that they do. But I am just as happy to have found GZ and learned something new about this wonderful planet! I think earthcaches are the most fun and I am constantly pleased by them.

Thanks to all the earthcache owners- you rock!

What would you do if you required a picture for the find and the finder posted a picture of their shadow :) or took the picture at a location 20 miles away from the actual EarthCache site :) ? Would you delete their find?

I do ask for photos on many of my EarthCaches, but I'm not hung up on getting photos of faces. Many people dislike posting their faces on the Internet, especially families with children or people avoiding a stalker ex-spouse, etc. Some folks just don't want their faces in their galleries or on the cache pages, period. I don't need to know their reason, and I don't need to see their face, I just need to know they were at the cache.

It's pretty easy to tell if the person has actually been there to do the EarthCache. I like the photos because I use the EarthCache listings in my science classes so the kids can appreciate that real live people enjoy going to see these things. I also appreciate some pure scenic shots of the area, to show the details of the feature.

For logging purposes, I'm happy with some sort of photo showing the person was there to do the EarthCache. I'd accept a photo of their hand holding the gps, or a hand-lettered sign with the name of the EarthCache, or a printout of the cache page, etc. I'd much rather see that than some vacation photo from ten years ago of them standing in front of the site--at least I know they went for the EarthCache. You can show me your smiling face all day and it doesn't mean you actually learned anything while you were there.

No camera? Camera broke as you got there? Shot looked good on the camera but turns out it was blurry when you got it home and saw it larger? PDA cut off the part about what to do because it truncated the entry? (Some of those have happened to me, I understand!). No problem--email me and tell me some things you couldn't have known unless you were really there.

Could someone cheat? Sure.

They could photo-shopped an image

They could use a search engine to find the photo from some picture gallery

They could drill their friend, who was actually there, for details about the location

But who are they cheating? They aren't cheating me. I've been there, I enjoyed the location, I know the answers to the questions, I learned something, I had fun. I want them to do the same. I won't gain anything more if I get a recognizable photo of their face. I'd say they only cheat themselves.

The only way they could possibly cheat me is if I spend a lot of time trying to catch them falsifying the find. Like I said, it's usually obvious whether or not someone has actually been to the spot. I wouldn't feel right forcing people to post a photo of their face if they aren't comfortable doing that. I don't want to invest that much of my time trying to prevent people from logging what is probably a legitimate find just over a face shot.

A shadow? Well, they had to be there to cast the shadow, didn't they? Unless I knew for a fact that wasn''t their shadow, I'd probably let that one stand. Did they do the learning activity?

Twenty miles away? I'd need to know more details before I make a judgment. Did their camera break right after they took that shot? Is it a better view of what you are supposed to see, anyway? Again, did they do the learning activity? Can they give any details as evidence they were at the actual location?

I've only had an issue with one EarthCache. The cacher claimed a find (without photos or answers to the questions) on one of two EarthCaches near each other and added a note (about why they couldn't get to the other EarthCache) that included some specific information from a webpage about the location--hinting they wanted to log a find on it too. I guess they thought that would make it seem like they had been to the first EarthCache and were familiar with the area. Instead, it made it all too obvious they had not been there at all. I emailed them back to say the webpage that said the webpage they had used was several years out of date, and they should go there and enjoy the location instead of googling about it. I invited them to relog with photos and answers to the one they claimed to have found. They haven't done that yet and it's been at least a year since I emailed them.

Well, since I have not received written permission for my proposed EarthCaches, the point is moot for me. But, what many here are talking about is what are called "Cheaters". I have a cache with specific requirements. (It's a Web Cam Cache. Post a photo of you taken by the web cam to log the cache. Simple? Yeah.) About 20% of the 'finders' claim false logs. This is quite saddening, but it does happen. Delete. It ranks up there with the people who log "Saw your cache, but didn't sign the log." Delete. Or the infamous drive-by cacher who logged a few thousand logs on caches that he never even found. Delete.

Yes. EarthCaches are meant to be educational (and this is great!). But they also do have logging requirements. This is meant both to insure that the cache be educational, and to eliminate the cheaters, and the arm-chair loggers. To insure the intergrity of EarthCaches.

Photo from twenty miles away? Delete. Didn't have the page, so I don't know what information was required. Delete. On the other hand, ask me to estimate the height of a cliff or the depth of a river. I will do the estimate, though I am spacially challenged. Ask me for a photo, I will gladly supply the photo. If my camera breaks before I get the photo, that is my problem, and I have not fulfilled the requirements, and would not claim that I had.

7119dd18-947d-41c4-85c0-fe2e3623598a.jpg

Required photo of dolphin at Route 11 Kettlehole Bog. Answer to question sent via e-mail. I was there. I fulfilled the requirements. And I learnt something! Dolphin claims his smiley.

I haven't deleted any logs yet. If they want to cheat and log my earthcaches and haven't been there that is their problem and I won't lose any sleep over it. So log away coach potatoes. :rolleyes:

I agree, I don't lose any sleep over claims made by geocachers unless the claim might impact another geocacher searching for one of my caches. If a cacher wants to record an experience they had at my Earthcache site they are free to do so using any log type they wish, I have never deleted a log on my Earthcache because it isn't a physical container so in my opinion there are no logs which affect other geocachers.

I structure all my caches so that the searchers who feel that a Find count is important can meet a set of requirements.

I do and have deleted cache logs but the only logs I delete are "Found" logs that imply a cache is there when it might not be, the next searcher might be impacted by that incorrect claim, other than that it is all good.

I forgot my camera in the car. (Ok by me, no problem and I hope you had fun.)

Didn't have the paperwork so didn't know what to record. (Ok by me, no problem and I hope you had fun.)

Forgot to record the information required. (Ok by me, no problem and I hope you had fun.)

From the Cache Listing Requirements /Guidelines

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

From the Cache Listing Requirements /Guidelines

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

All the logs on my Earthcache are good logs, I have never seen any logs that appear to be bogus and clearly every log has met the stated requirements or it wouldn't be there would it. I totally agree with this statement you posted Harry Dolphin, the idea that the Cache Owner assumes all responsibility for the cache is a good one and I personally hold that truth to be self evident. You would be amazed at how many people think they can judge the logs on caches they do not own. There are people who really think others should conform to some rule they hold dear and that is simply wrong, the listing guidlines are very clear on this point, all logs are entirely the responsibility of the cache owner. I am glad you pointed out that this listing service states it so clearly and succinctly. All geocachers should follow this rule. The only person who can tell which logs are legitimate and which are not is the cache owner. Every log on every cache I own is a good log and if any geocacher has an issue with any of the logs on my caches they can write to me and I will fix things. :D

My Earthcache doesn't get visited that often because it is a long hike in some remote country but every geocacher who has placed a log on my Earthcache can rest assured that I am the one who is repsonsible for their log being there.

I was told a log of mine would be deleted if I did not change it. The CO owner objected to points I made that disagreed with those on the cache page. I had thought I had done so in a tasteful way. I changed my log to get credit for the find. The e-mail I received made this the worse caching experience to date. I have only completed one Earth Cache since for fear of my logs being deleted.

I was told a log of mine would be deleted if I did not change it. The CO owner objected to points I made that disagreed with those on the cache page. I had thought I had done so in a tasteful way. I changed my log to get credit for the find. The e-mail I received made this the worse caching experience to date. I have only completed one Earth Cache since for fear of my logs being deleted.

Don't judge all caches based on a single owner. You'll find mine much easier to log.

Though I am going to have to delete an entire series of finds. The log just reads "found it" and no e-mail was sent, even after I an e-mail requesting the info. I'm soft, but not that soft.

Don't judge all caches based on a single owner. You'll find mine much easier to log.

Same here!

It's up to each cache owner to "police" their cache's logs - even EarthCaches. I've never deleted a single log from any of my EarthCaches. But then again, I've never had anyone try and armchair cache mine either. I figure it's about the experience and that if they make an attempt to answer the questions all is good by me.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

TerryDad2 places some amazing Earthcaches! I really really liked the oolitic sands, that was an amazing Earthcache and it really impressed my children who had never seen anything like that, it was a lot of fun.

Every cache owner has a different approach. I use a sliding scale of priorities and the first thing on my list is simple, don't detract from the fun that others find in this activity. That is such a strong guideline in my book that I would never delete a log unless it clearly broached the next rule, make sure your actions do not negatively impact others who might be searching for the cache. Don't get me wrong, I delete logs in a jiffy when I see the second guideline being broken by a searcher. I send an email explaining that they have created a situation where the next searcher may be negatively impacted and because of that I have to delete their log. I thank them for visiting and invite them to come back and relog the cache.

Cache owners who take themselves too seriously really run the risk of driving people away from this activity. I get logs on my caches made by people who are just having fun, I know that if I send them a "serious" email it is going to ruin the fun they are finding in this activity. If my email clearly outlines that they might be spoiling someone elses fun they always understand.

I certainly understand why you feel the way you do, in my opinion that person was way out of line. I don't think it is ever acceptable to engage in that type of conversation on a cache page, it shows a complete lack of class. If they really had an issue, and there are people who really take themselves seriously, they could have just sent you the private message. I wouldn't have even sent you a private message.

My Advice: Continue to have fun and chalk your experience up under the heading "It takes all kinds of people to make a world." Now you know what kind of person that cache owner is you can avoid their hides in the future.

A side benefit of bringing it up in the forums is that many readers who cache in that area will also be able to identify the problem cache owner and avoid the risk of being publicly humiliated when they were just trying to have some fun.

Apologies - hit the wrong button - :laughing:

So, the common question comes about - what makes you delete a find?

Some of our EC's are a little harder - you will need to crawl around on the rocks and find the locations of what we have described (honestly, who wouldn't want to do that!! :D ) In our description we say upfront - it's not the right or wrong we are looking for - it's the " I read it and tried my best" that we want. There are some who try and the answers are wrong - no big deal - I reply thanking them for trying and tell them how they did, etc. Hopefully this way they will learn something new and have a little fun.

THEN, there are the ones - I forgot to take a picture, I didn't want to get out of the car so I took a picture while driving by (its a bike path along a 2 lane highway), or the ones who log and never send anything at all. I admit, I am a softee and I have only deleted one log because it was obvious he had never been there.

What do you do?

Edited by JSR-UK

So far I've only deleted one log. That was just tonight when the finder posted the answer to the questions in his/her log! (I emailed the finder and explained what I did, why, and how he/she could get the smiley back.)

Once, I emailed a finder as she/he didn't answer any of the questions nor post a picture. The finder emailed me back w/ the answers, so I didn't have to delete the log.

I'm glad for this thread, as I was just pondering this very question just now. I too was wondering on how strict/lieniant people were w/ their earthcaches.

We are still very new at this game and have only found one EarthCache. It was very local to us and we walked down with the dogs. We took the picture of Mrs-Rat with GPS at the EC but we'd forgotten the tape measure. We measured around with 5 2/3 lengths of a dog lead. Went home measured the lead and logged the cache. We kept our fingers crossed and the cache 'owner' accepted it with a bit smile saying that we were not the only finders who had used dog leads/camera straps/boot laces etc to measure the cache.

In our opinion, bourne of not much experience, surely if you are logging an earth cache, you have to go there! or whats the point. It might be a game but still... We have a couple more EC's planned in the near future. They are really educational and interesting.