What do you keep in your cache Bag? and other essentials for caching.

I normally go caching with my Phone/GPS, Cache notes (for multi's) and dog's bags if required.

If I remember I take a pen, pad and dog leads.

I reading about caching bags. What do you guys put in a caching bag?

So far I have used any available pockets and often find my self short. I just cannot decide what would be usefull or not, so stuff my pockets but seem to take nothing.

What size bag do you use? Bumbag ruck sack sholder bag?

What do you put in it?

Gerrit

Small daypack for me.£3 Bangkok special at the moment!

Main compartment has hat,sunscreen,waterproof gear,extra batteries and extra gps,food,drink...

Smaller compartment has caching notes,stamp,pen(s),TB.GCoins.

Main gps attached to belt,when not in hand.

GPS

PDA

Spare GPS

Torch

Head torch

First aid kit

Water bottle

Small waterproof

Note book

Pen

Spare pen

Kitchen sink

Swaps bag

TB bag

Spare torch

Batteries

Spare note book

Fluff

Old sweets

Camera

Compass

Spare compass

1:25k Dartmoor map

A used Exeter-London train ticket

Seat reservation ticket for the above

Spare ziploc baggies (1 dozen, assorted)

Spare micro's (6)

Spare logsheets

A damp bit of paper that probably said something important once

Can you tell I'm going through my bag as I write this .....?

BAG bagggg :D I started off with a bag that had the standards pens and garmin spare note book and so on :/ Now it seems I've got so much stuff I now have a box in my boot with all geocaching stuff in it! full of swaps pens small pencils spare note books a map book and torch oh and my little geo.kitten stickers and and um :) magnets! B) I dont even really know whats in it anymore but I can guarantee the chances are when I desperatly need something it wont be in my bag or that box :(

GPSr

head torch (handy for just peering into holes and crannies to see if a cache is in there)

TBs

Palm PDA

Spare AA for GPS

Spare AAA for head torch

Pens

Sometimes a spare notebook

Very rarely, a small spare lok n lok to replace a cache

A bottle of water / squash (I'm rarely more than 2 hours from the car unless mountain walking, so I leave the food in the car)

OS map 1:25,000 for where I may be - I have a box in the car with a variety if 1:25,000 maps covering north Wales, Cheshire and north Shropshire! :(

Some old pine needles from when I've been bondoo bashing ("I must get the cache!!")

I use a small Lowe Alpine rucksack that I won in a raffle. It is obviously designed with kids / students in mind. It has multiple pockets inside and little holders for pens and other knick knacks. Who'd have thought that a grown adult would actually find this bag useful too? :)

GPS

PDA

Spare GPS

Torch

Head torch

First aid kit

Water bottle

Small waterproof

Note book

Pen

Spare pen

Kitchen sink

Swaps bag

TB bag

Spare torch

Batteries

Spare note book

Fluff

Old sweets

Camera

Compass

Spare compass

Spare micro's (6)

Spare logsheets

Kitchen sink: That will give you a high chance of getting an award at the Carry Yer Own Camping event! :(

GPS

PDA

Spare GPS

Torch

Head torch

First aid kit

Water bottle

Small waterproof

Note book

Pen

Spare pen

Kitchen sink

Swaps bag

TB bag

Spare torch

Batteries

Spare note book

Fluff

Old sweets

Camera

Compass

Spare compass

Spare micro's (6)

Spare logsheets

Kitchen sink: That will give you a high chance of getting an award at the Carry Yer Own Camping event! :D

B) Already in hand.......... :(:)

GPS

PDA

Spare GPS

Torch

Head torch

First aid kit

Water bottle

Small waterproof

Note book

Pen

Spare pen

Kitchen sink

Swaps bag

TB bag

Spare torch

Batteries

Spare note book

Fluff

Old sweets

Camera

Compass

Spare compass

Spare micro's (6)

Spare logsheets

is this the generation game cuddly toy

Bumbag; gps, pda, cable, spare AA's, TB's, spare PDA stylus, pen (sometimes!), torch..... that's t I think?

Blimey! You must have a very big bum :D:D:D

Edited to add: Oh I just thought!! As this sport is American based, shouldn't you call that a fanny pack? :P:D Then I could say "You must have a very big f****" OMG I just can't bring myself to type that! :ph34r::D

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

You all forgot your packet of polos on the desk, and your spare pencil and your support gonk and your chewing gum and your extra pen, and your extra polos and your lucky gonk, and your pencil sharpener shaped like a cream cracker and three more gonks with a packet of polos in each, and lead for your retractable pencil and your retractable pencil, and your spare lead for your retractable pencil, and chewing gum and pencils and pens and more gonks...

and then the cache got archived! :P

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

:P:(:( It's got a gun in it!!! Is that for disposing of troublesome muggles? :P

No kidding, apparently many Americans consider a gun one of the essential accessories while Geocaching - While chatting with someone in one of the South Wales events, someone mentioned that they'd read this in the American forum. Apparently there are areas you just don't go in the US without a gun - but there are caches there.

Me? Err - I'm usually not organised enough to have everything in one place at any time but ideally:

GPSr

pen

Custom made Eclectic Penguin stamp

Printouts of caches I intend to do (still not paperless I'm afraid)

any TBs/coins I currently have in my possession *(though often this ends up as a subset or none if I forget)

This TB is usually an essential addition to my trip: TB21701

Occasionally other swaps, though I tend to TNLN these days unless I'm dealing TBs

I also try to include these if I've got my Geocaching mini-rucksack:

potential replacement pencil / notebook

spare stash notes

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

GPSr

pen

Custom made Eclectic Penguin stamp

Printouts of caches I intend to do (still not paperless I'm afraid)

any TBs/coins I currently have in my possession *(though often this ends up as a subset or none if I forget)

This TB is usually an essential addition to my trip: TB21701

Occasionally other swaps, though I tend to TNLN these days unless I'm dealing TBs

:anicute: And there was me thinking you'd have just bought one of the generic, off-the-shelf, Eclectic Penguin stamps <_<:anitongue::laughing:

Edited by keehotee

I use an army suplus canvas shoulder bag. I carry the usual items -

2 gps units - etrex summit & my Maggellan 300

Spare Batteries and tester

Digital Camera

Compact First Aid Kit

Torch

Small items for cache find exchange

Pencil,Pen

MP3/DAB Radio in case of bad weather

Mobile phone

Silva Compass, + an army sighting compass

Map of the Area - (explorer 1:25000 scale)

Waterproof cagoul

2 way radios if Im with son or freinds (i have 4 of these)

A5 printed sheets explaining Geocaching - for interested muggles

Bottle of water

Space blanket - can be used for shelter if needed, or as thermal blanket

Gardening Gloves

Cache printouts - i wouldnt get far without these

Edited by momagic48

:D:(:D It's got a gun in it!!! Is that for disposing of troublesome muggles? :(

No kidding, apparently many Americans consider a gun one of the essential accessories while Geocaching - While chatting with someone in one of the South Wales events, someone mentioned that they'd read this in the American forum. Apparently there are areas you just don't go in the US without a gun - but there are caches there.

Funnily enough.....

I always have my Gerber (it's the thinking man's Leatherman :) ) on my belt when I'm on the moor. It's worth it's weight in steel - and (although I'd never admit it under oath) it's saved miles in extra walking on multi's on more than one occasion........

So, does anybody else go caching packing a blade........ ?? :(

Edited by keehotee

:D:(:D It's got a gun in it!!! Is that for disposing of troublesome muggles? :(

Funnily enough.....

I always have my Gerber (it's the thinking man's Leatherman :) ) on my belt when I'm on the moor. It's worth it's weight in steel - and (although I'd never admit it under oath) it's saved miles in extra walking on multi's on more than one occasion........

So, does anybody else go caching packing a blade........ ?? :(

I always carry my swiss army multitool, Its got lots of tools, a faily decent 4"blade, bottle opener, tin opener, a saw that i reckon is useless (never needed it)I think its for descaling fish, and a thing for getting stones out of boyscouts feet.

Does this count

It would be too slow if needed in hurry, like panic open up and .....threaten bear with ..... tin opener , ....or useless saw thing.

If I need a weapon then my homemade walking staff has a sharp metal spike and can inflict some real damage (untested as yet)

Edited by momagic48

This has given me an idea - I'm going to invent a Cache Detector as another tool for us to carry. :yikes:

It will work just like a metal detector; go to ground zero and the blips will get louder and louder as you get it nearer to the cache itself and it will even find caches if the coordinates are way off :ph34r: ...and a deluxe model that can find all puzzle and multi caches without having to work them out! :D

In fact we won't need half of the stuff in our back-packs as every find will be a cache and dash! :mad:

Anyone with a spare million to get my invention off the ground? :mad:

I've already got one of them. I'ts called Matt, My teen son can home in fast on a cache, Before I've even started thinking about why we are here.

Only one cache this weekend beat him. (GC122P9 - STOVOLDS REVENGE)

I was shown something last weekend, this game thingy psp can lock onto other peoples internet and access the internet free. Im looking at a unit called The Pocket Surfer. This is a dedicated internet portable.

Edited by momagic48

I've already got one of them. I'ts called Matt, My teen son can home in fast on a cache, Before I've even started thinking about why we are here.

He showed me something last weekend, his game thingy psp can lock onto other peoples internet and access the internet free. Im looking at a unit called The Pocket Surfer. This is a dedicated internet portable.

Be careful - I know the PSP can use wireless. Accessing other peoples internet bandwidth (ie just using their internet access, not hacking their computers) without their knowledge is against the law. A link to the Register story (an IT nerdy website which I quite like!)

He showed me something last weekend, his game thingy psp can lock onto other peoples internet and access the internet free. Im looking at a unit called The Pocket Surfer. This is a dedicated internet portable.

Be careful - I know the PSP can use wireless. Accessing other peoples internet bandwidth (ie just using their internet access, not hacking their computers) without their knowledge is against the law. A link to the Register story (an IT nerdy website which I quite like!)

Thanks I thought that was the case, this is the reason that I'm looking at the pocket surfer as an option. It uses the mobile network, but at a cost of only £6/month.

In my bag (A Lowepro camera bag) I keep:

Top compartment:

Spare AA batteries for the GPS (Garmin Oregon - it eats batteries, so always have some charging!)

Food (am always hungry! - fruit, carrot sticks, the odd flapjack)

Bottle of water

Scarf (I always carry it even in summer!)

Keys

Phone

Purse

Chopsticks (odd, I know, but if I have to eat something and my hands are dirty, these do the trick)

PDA (although it is kind of obsolete now we have the Oregon and the battery on the PDA is a bit pants :D )

Spare camera battery

Zippered outside pockets:

Left side - a couple of pens, some bouncy balls and random other swag

Right side - 'Thank you for not driving' stickers, a small torch.

Bottom compartment:

Camera (Canon EOS 350D)

Geocaching gloves of protection +2

Many bouncy balls

Plastic Frogs

Plastic Bats

A few toy cars

Any TBS

A toy dinosaur

Spare paper

.....I think that that is about it...it doesnt weigh much really! :anicute:

So, does anybody else go caching packing a blade........ ?? :laughing:

I carry a Leatherman Squirt P4 (the version with the pliers), not just for caching but all the time. It's tiny and light enough to live in my trouser pocket and I use it on average a couple of times a day.

Other things I also always have in my pockets, even when not caching, are:

Asus P750 PDA/phone/GPSr with MemoryMap and Cachemate

Pen

Tiny LED torch on my keyring

Tiny compass on my keyring

In addition, things I pretty much always carry when caching are:

eTrex HCx to give second opinion if necessary :anibad:

Better compass than the keyring one

TBs and a few small swaps

Single A4 sheet printed map, back of which is used for making notes

Spare AA Duracells (all my equipment that uses replaceable batteries use AA)

If it's a single cache, or just a couple near the parking, it goes in my jacket pockets.

If I'm out for the day I carry a rucksack with:

Good quality LED torch

If it's night caching, an LED head torch

Better camera than the one in the phone

Pen refill

More spare batteries

Flask of coffee

Bottle of water

Food

Bar towel

Waterproofs if the weather looks doubtful

I also take a can of insect repellent, but apply it when I set off and then leave it with the bike.

Rgds, Andy

I use a small Sierra Club backpack with a main compartment and two smaller pockets. The main compartment holds the swag bag, a cache repair bag (extra ziplocs, logs, wet wipes, paper towels, etc.), gloves, first aid kit, clipboard with maps, and extra batteries. The middle pocket has slots for pens, and these also contain our extendable magnetic retriever, extendable mirror, tiny flexible LED light, tiny Leatherman-like Gerber tool, tweezers, and a Silva compass. Smallest outside pocket carries two GPSrs, and a PDA.