Would you walk 18 miles...

Dusk 'til Dawn - Through The Night 'Caching Event - GC18T51

11pm on Saturday July 19th to 8am on Sunday the 20th is a golden opportunity for 24-Hour Record Breakers. 9 hours and an average walk/hunt speed of 2mph will set you up with 57 caches, and is an area handy for Oxford and the many caches around there, including a hell of a run up the canal. Bring a bike as well as torches and you could find A LOT in 24 hours....

Anyone else tempted? :(

Myself and Plymplodder are cycling the WTF series early on the saturday morning before attending the DTD meet so potentially about 130+ caches but as we will be starting the WTF around first light it will be more than 24 hours.

What is the 24 hour record anyway??

I would have been 1st in line,but a good friend of mine had decided to get married on this very day. :)

How inconsiderate of him and his missus! :DB)

I hope they'll both enjoy their wedding present...a nice yellow gps!!!!!! :(

I could be tempted now that Currykev is not going - it's an opportunity for me to over take his total number of cache finds. B)

I would have been 1st in line,but a good friend of mine had decided to get married on this very day. :D

How inconsiderate of him and his missus! B)B)

I hope they'll both enjoy their wedding present...a nice yellow gps!!!!!! :)

I could be tempted now that Currykev is not going - it's an opportunity for me to over take his total number of cache finds. B)

Now I'm going to have more caching nightmares! :(

And it's all your fault! B)B)

PS..sorry Paul....please could someone put this thread back on track.

Edited by currykev

Myself and Plymplodder are cycling the WTF series early on the saturday morning before attending the DTD meet so potentially about 130+ caches but as we will be starting the WTF around first light it will be more than 24 hours.

65 on foot so Heinz is not gonna cut the mustard :(

123 (walk, cycle, catch the bus, drive, whatever) for the most in 24 hours, good luck. :)

65 on foot so Heinz is not gonna cut the mustard :(

123 (walk, cycle, catch the bus, drive, whatever) for the most in 24 hours, good luck. :)

Hmmm we could come close then especially as the first half of the night of the meet is the most cache intensive, According to the UK records we should beat the cycle record doing the WTF series.

Just a lil bump for this, as the event is this weekend. The weather is improving (fingers tightly crossed, making typing trtickjy) and I'm feeling positive about the long walk. Any last minute lucys want to join us? :D

I'm sorely tempted, but I'm awaiting final confirmation that we won't be able to exhibit sheep at the Royal Welsh Show. Is there a deadline for confirming attendence?

I'm saying 11pm to get people there early. It won't be long after that though- 11.10? Ideally people will be at the pub from 9ish? But a BBQ is a BBQ, so I do understand!

Today is the day for this- or rather tonight is the night. I've got my fluro jacket for the road stages (only 'long' one at the start, really) and a lot of charged batteries. Plus a hat, water and food, good boots, plasters... Overnight temperatures are expected to dip to 10-11 deg C but it'll hopefully stay dry, which is the one thing I was most worried about. Various MM route overlays are now on the cache page and no one has come up with a more efficient one yet. There's a couple of possible detours on the night, depending how we're feeling...

I'm pretty excited, but still looking forward to an afternoon nap- otherwise I'm going to be up for 22 hours ish, which won't see me at the best by the end of this. <_<

Ouch. I just woke up. 49 seems to be the max anyone hit (48 walked) on this get-together, which frankly was both wonderful and painful! 18.5miles (approx) over 11 hours was a bit slower than I'd expected but the terrain on the sections I'd not walked was more up and down (mostly ups, bizarrely) than I'd expected...

Thanks very much to everyone who came, even if they dropped out before walking any (Groundspeak rules!)/walking 1 series/walking 1.5/walking 2/and those who walked 2.7ish (we skipped 8 in total, due to shuffling exhaustion!)

My feet are telling me it was more than 18.5miles right now... :rolleyes: