Mentioning gc.com

BiT

I've found that if gc.com is mentioned early in the discussion state and national park managers become very skeptical to outright negative. Local and private locations are much more lax.

If you get them hooked initially with the virtual and educational aspect of the program and bring in the GSA first, then indicate that earthcaches are listed on gc.com, it is easier.

I mention geocaching only as a reference but quickly point out the educational advantage, and non-destructive nature of ECs. It doesn’t hurt to mention that the maintenance staff doesn’t need to be concerned w/an EC. Some managers enjoy geocaches others do not, but most are acceptable to ECs.

Wow. I'm not sure what to do now. My local DCNR knows what Geocaches are but how am I going to ask for permission for an Earthcache when they will have no idea what it is or how to deal with it. I know the DCNR approver and have tried to explain Earthcaches to him but I don't think they have any way of tracking them. I guess I do need some kind of help to start this process.

Wow. I'm not sure what to do now. My local DCNR knows what Geocaches are but how am I going to ask for permission for an Earthcache when they will have no idea what it is or how to deal with it. I know the DCNR approver and have tried to explain Earthcaches to him but I don't think they have any way of tracking them. I guess I do need some kind of help to start this process.

Actually, you have it easy. Places with permit systems are often easier to work with as you have contact people, etc.

I would tell him it's a virtual cache with a geology theme. (They've not updated their form to include earthcaches). You've got lots of great places up there for earthcaches. I thought about making a couple when I was passing through.

Actually, you have it easy. Places with permit systems are often easier to work with as you have contact people, etc.

I would tell him it's a virtual cache with a geology theme. (They've not updated their form to include earthcaches). You've got lots of great places up there for earthcaches. I thought about making a couple when I was passing through.

I guess if I send them the link to the Earthcache page, so they have an idea what this is, then make a visit to the office I should be able to explain it all. I do a lot of volunteer work in Moshannon District and some in Elk so I know these people pretty well. My biggest problem is I am "Geology Challenged" at least to put it in technical terms. I have some feelers out to hopefully enlist some one from Penn State to help me with the technical side of Geology.

Now all I need is more time.

I have not had any problems with State Park System of PA DCNR. If fact I think they see the tourist and park utilization benefit to both Geo and Earth caches. The SP are also showing some interest in Geocaching by considering in park programs. Give it a shot you may be surprised by their response.

Just a note here you may have to wait on a PNDI Check, endangered Flora and Fauna.