Geocaching with the Vista HCX

Alright.....I had to downgrade the software in my Vista HCX from 2.60 to 2.30 in order to eliminate the significant "drift" issue. Since the downgrade (works for hiking now), I decided to head out on a couple of easy geocaches to test the unit. I was navigating to the cache and found the unit to be completely unusable for this purpose. The compass indicated the cache was 40 feet behind me....I would turn around and start walking 5-10 paces but then the compass would indicate that the cache was behind me (back in the direction I came from). Yes...I calibrated the compass (multiple times in the park) I decided to go to the map page like I used to with my old GPS and this was even worse. The point of the triangle that indicates the direction of travel would not re-orient itself until I walked 5 to 10 paces. I also had problems with accuracy...within 10ft at one moment and then 40 feet.

This is the first time that I tried to use this unit for geocaching so I am sure my experiences must be user error. Does anybody have any experiences with using the Vista HCX with version 2.30 because this unit appears to be less useful in geocaching than my very old Magellan Platinum.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alright.....I had to downgrade the software in my Vista HCX from 2.60 to 2.30 in order to eliminate the significant "drift" issue.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Did you try the compass before downgrading to 2.30?

I'm using Vista HCx with 2.60 and I have the compass set to switch from satellite compass to magnetic compass after 15 seconds of speed lower than 3 mph. It works very well for me.

TopherAC, I only have a possible temporary solution. I have the same GPS and I use it with the electronic compass off 99% of the time. Not because it won't work with the E-C on, but to prolong battery life. My E-C seems to work fine when I've used it. I have the 2.6 version, but since I don't care about the trip accuracy, I haven't noticed if it's off. I have over 1k finds on it, but have an RMA# to fix the rubber band that has come undone.

"would not re-orient itself until I walked 5 to 10 paces."

That sounds to me like the EC is turned off. But I don't think you can go through the calibration procedure with it off.

Hmmmmmmm

This will be interesting to watch.

I also have a HCx and I have found it to be nearly as good as my 60CSx.

Hope you get it worked out.

PP4x4

"would not re-orient itself until I walked 5 to 10 paces."

That sounds to me like the EC is turned off. But I don't think you can go through the calibration procedure with it off.

Hmmmmmmm

This will be interesting to watch.

I also have a HCx and I have found it to be nearly as good as my 60CSx.

Hope you get it worked out.

PP4x4

The GPS will calibrate with the electronic compass in off mode. When, it's done calibrating, the GPS autumatically switches to on mode.

EDIT: Or, someone may argue the GPS goes into on-mode when you start calibrating. But, you know what I mean.

Edited by Chuy!

I do remember turning the compass off to conserve battery power, so I was hoping that maybe I just forgot to turn it back on. From the sounds of it, when I perform a calibration the unit should automatically turn the compass on for me. That's bad news as the compass doesn't seem to react to changes in direction as quickly as would be expected.

I will re-calibrate the compass, ensure it is turned on and test it again to see if I get better results.

Thanks for all of the input.

Could someone with good success please share some of the settings they are using with 2.60/2.60?

WAAS, Compass, etc. ...

What should I change from default for best accuracy geocaching?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by check1972