What shall I do?

GATOULIS

Hello to all!

Well...I finally got a job! It is for 4 months only (seasonal), but... :angry:

I saw that a new cache was in my island, so I tried to find it today, after work! I was too tired, but I wanted the FTF!

I found it, but I discovered that I was not the first! :D I was the third! Well...at least I found it very easy!!! :D

The cache's page, is still empty, without any logs, and shows a geocoin that was taken from the second finder!

I found a geocoin and took it (the second finder left it), but it is not registered yet in the cache!

What shall I do?

Do I have to wait until the coin is loged in the cache and then log my post? :D

Hello to all!

Well...I finally got a job! It is for 4 months only (seasonal), but... :angry:

I saw that a new cache was in my island, so I tried to find it today, after work! I was too tired, but I wanted the FTF!

I found it, but I discovered that I was not the first! :D I was the third! Well...at least I found it very easy!!! :D

The cache's page, is still empty, without any logs, and shows a geocoin that was taken from the second finder!

I found a geocoin and took it (the second finder left it), but it is not registered yet in the cache!

What shall I do?

Do I have to wait until the coin is loged in the cache and then log my post? :D

Go ahead and log your find right away.

Like the buddhaman said, you can grab the coin from the current holder...however, I would then log the coin into the cache, and then grab it back from the cache. That way the coin gets the proper mileage.

Cheers!

I would wait to log the coin from the cache. If you grab it from the current holder, the coin will never pass through the cache and it's mileage will be screweed up as well as the accuracy of the logs. Give them a few days to log it. If they were on vacation or something, it might be a few days. I know I don't log my caches the quickest, but I at least try to log the ones that I either took or moved a TB quickly. Theres no hurry since the smiley counts the same tomorrow as it does today.

I have grabbed coins that were not logged in the cache and got pretty much chewed out. You are better off waiting. If after a few days and it still does not get dropped in the cache, email the person who "has it" and ask them to drop it.

As for logging the cache, go for it. There are times I log that night when I get home and then there are times it is days before I get the chance.

I would wait to log the coin from the cache. If you grab it from the current holder, the coin will never pass through the cache and it's mileage will be screweed up as well as the accuracy of the logs. Give them a few days to log it. If they were on vacation or something, it might be a few days. I know I don't log my caches the quickest, but I at least try to log the ones that I either took or moved a TB quickly. Theres no hurry since the smiley counts the same tomorrow as it does today.

I agree, I cached around Paros, Santorini and Naxos last summer and if someone had not given me time to log my finds, TBs and coins I would have been peeved

Bob

I agree, I cached around Paros, Santorini and Naxos last summer and if someone had not given me time to log my finds, TBs and coins I would have been peeved

Bob

I see what you are saying...however, this won't screw up the current holders logs at all. They have alreay logged their find, and unless they go edit it, a dropoff never leaves a log on the coin page itself.

You can grab it from the current holder, then dip it in the cache for proper mileage. Then, send a note to the cacher you grabbed it from telling them what you did. They can still note in their log that they dropped it there...it just won't be in their inventory anymore to actually drop it.

I would definitely use the method I suggested if you are going to be dropping the coin yourself anytime soon.

Cheers

I would definitely use the method I suggested if you are going to be dropping the coin yourself anytime soon.

If this is the case then I would agree. Anything other than that is just being impatient and not allowing a fellow cacher to finish their logs in a reasonable amount of time.

I did this early on with a green jeep. I grabbed it from the cache and hurried home to log it and the cache. I saw it wasn't in the cache so I grabbed it from the holder. He was a little upset that I didn't give him a chance to log it. Looking back on it I was impatient and could have waited a few hours or even a couple days. It wasn't going anywhere.

Hmm..yes! I wouldn't like this to happen to me too.. The dropper is in Rhodes for vacations, so I will wait for some days first!

I didn't see when he loged! It may even be today or a couple of days ago! I didn't see....

It is better to wait for a while! Thank you my friends! :angry:

What I'd do is log a discovery and mention that I have the coin in hand until the last cacher has a chance to log the drop. With the number of noobs around it's best, IMO, to not take trackables out of their inventory before they've had a chance to log 'em out. With your discovery you're also letting the owner know who's got the coin. When the coin's been dropped in the cache I'd just log the grab and everything's cool.

Congrats on your new job Nikos. :D

Edited by Droo

DON'T GRAB IT

:huh: ...

I hate when people do that and I simply grab it right back.....You should wait they could be a traveler.... to not log it for awhile is not going to hurt anything just remember the date you picked it up to log it when they have placed it in the cache....

Congrats on your job :D

and sorry about not getting a FTF :D

TWP

Just to add my tuppence worth.....I hate it when a coin or TB has been grabbed from us when we've been on our hols with no access to a computer. :D

We've had this happen many a time, despite filling in the cache log book telling the next finder that we've left the coin/TB but won't have access to a computer until we get home (and giving the date when that'll be)......people have still grabbed them, completely ignoring what we've written. Have to add though that whenever that's happened to us, it's always been somebody that's pretty new to geocaching that's did this, never from folks who've been caching for a long time.

On a happier note lol........Congratulations and best of luck with your new job! Great to hear of another cache being set on your lovely island home, hope that this will be the first of many more new ones for you to find.

Ali :D

I agree with previous posters. I had someone grab a coin from me before I had a chance to drop it and at first it irritated me...how impatient! But then I realized they were probably new and didn't understand the process -- their logs indicated that they were excited to find the coin (and thus got confused). Instead of grabbing it back right away, I sent them a very polite message and explained what happened. I also provided details on how we could rectify the situation -- so that the coin got the proper mileage and they learned how to do it if they ever got into the same predicament again. It was clear from their response that they made a mistake and everything was fixed.

I think the benefit here was they learned a bit more about the game and how geocoins work.

Although I totally understand everyone's stance about not grabbing the coin...there have been instances where I've had to wait a couple of weeks before I could log the coin/TB that we picked up from a cache...waiting for it to be dropped into the cache that I took it from. While waiting, I had opportunities to move the coin/TB along to another cache, but could not because I did not "have" it, and refused to drop it until I could do it properly. Since then, we decided not to move coins/TBs while we're on vacation (unless we have internet access). It is not fair to the coin/TB owner to have their item out of circulation for so long, and it can be frustrating for the next person that tries to move the item.

DON'T GRAB IT

:D ...

I hate when people do that and I simply grab it right back.....You should wait they could be a traveler.... to not log it for awhile is not going to hurt anything just remember the date you picked it up to log it when they have placed it in the cache....

(Text above highlighted by me)

It's not often that I find myself against the majority here in the forums...but this time it seems I am.

I keep reading where folks are "offended" if someone grabs a coin/traveller out of their inventory. You see, I don't see where this is being rude to you. The coin is NOT your coin...you are helping it along for it's owner. If I grab a coin, and have a chance to move it on...I will.

If I have to wait for you to get back from vacation...or at least have access to the internet, it will just make things more difficult...and may delay things for the actual owner of the coin...and that would be rude.

Once you drop it in a cache...it's out of your hands. You already got the icon...you've left your note on the coin page when you logged it...and you can still post pictures by writing a note.

The bottom line is to keep the coin moving for the owner.

As long as you "dip" it in the cache for appropriate mileage I don't see a problem, after all, isn't the goal of these things to move and travel? Does it really matter who logs it as long as it gets logged? Often we pick up travellers and then re-drop them before the person ever gets back to computer access. I personally don't feel like waiting and remembering all that. Not to mention if it's not in the inventory of the cache I have since dropped it in everything gets all messed up and is way more work to correct. And all for what? If you have no plans to drop it in the next few days, then I suppose it can wait, otherwise it really should be accounted for properly.

I think there is a difference between waiting a few hours vs. a few weeks. I came home from finding the cache earlier that day to find that someone had "grabbed" it from me. They did not dip it and I was afraid that if they dropped it quickly then things could get confusing fast. I had the coin owner's interest at heart as I was concerned it would lose the mileage. It has nothing to do with being personally offended (at least to me anyway) -- just concern for the integrity of the logs and mileage for the owner of the coin.

I think there is a difference between waiting a few hours vs. a few weeks. I came home from finding the cache earlier that day to find that someone had "grabbed" it from me. They did not dip it and I was afraid that if they dropped it quickly then things could get confusing fast. I had the coin owner's interest at heart as I was concerned it would lose the mileage. It has nothing to do with being personally offended (at least to me anyway) -- just concern for the integrity of the logs and mileage for the owner of the coin.

Which is exactly why I originally said, if you have to grab it from another cacher...be sure to drop it into the cache you actually took it from, and grab it back out. That way, the mileage stays intact.

:)

Me too! a fellow geocacher took one of my Team Ace geocoins from a cache where I had placed it; but this fellow refuses to log it and it still appears in his inventory because his failed to log it to the cache where he placed it. I sent him three emails asking that he do the right thing but he does not do what he should do. What can I do about this? :(

Edited by jimjam2207

DON'T GRAB IT

:( ...

(Text above highlighted by me)

It's not often that I find myself against the majority here in the forums...but this time it seems I am.

I keep reading where folks are "offended" if someone grabs a coin/traveller out of their inventory. You see, I don't see where this is being rude to you. The coin is NOT your coin...you are helping it along for it's owner. If I grab a coin, and have a chance to move it on...I will.

If I have to wait for you to get back from vacation...or at least have access to the internet, it will just make things more difficult...and may delay things for the actual owner of the coin...and that would be rude.

Once you drop it in a cache...it's out of your hands. You already got the icon...you've left your note on the coin page when you logged it...and you can still post pictures by writing a note.

The bottom line is to keep the coin moving for the owner.

Hear, Hear!

I just got back from a long vacation, and still haven't gotten time to log all my finds. I dropped off a half dozen travel bugs and coins along the way and all but one was grabbed from my inventory before I could drop them. I don't mind. I hope the person who found them next dipped them in the cache they found them in, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I live in a popular vacation destination and we get a lot of travellers dropping trackables without being able to log them right away. I give them a day or two to log it, but if they don't I'll grab the TB or coin and dip it in the cache I found it in.

Although I totally understand everyone's stance about not grabbing the coin...there have been instances where I've had to wait a couple of weeks before I could log the coin/TB that we picked up from a cache...waiting for it to be dropped into the cache that I took it from. While waiting, I had opportunities to move the coin/TB along to another cache, but could not because I did not "have" it, and refused to drop it until I could do it properly. Since then, we decided not to move coins/TBs while we're on vacation (unless we have internet access). It is not fair to the coin/TB owner to have their item out of circulation for so long, and it can be frustrating for the next person that tries to move the item.

I agree. I make sure that if I drop a traveler (coin or TB) that I will be able to log on the cache page and drop it by the end of the day, otherwise I don't drop it. I usually wait a couple of days for the previous cacher to drop the traveler before I grab it.

Quick answer - log the find. There is no need to wait for that.

Put a "watch" on the coin - and when you get an email stating that the coin is in the cache, log a retrieval then.

If it is not log into the cache within a week to 10 days, then grab it from the current holder. That way you have given time for any cacher who is travelling a chance to log.

Once you have the coin, then remove it from your watchlist.

Congrats on the job.... always a thrill and what better way to celebrate then go out and find a cache.

Me too! a fellow geocacher took one of my Team Ace geocoins from a cache where I had placed it; but this fellow refuses to log it and it still appears in his inventory because his failed to log it to the cache where he placed it. I sent him three emails asking that he do the right thing but he does not do what he should do. What can I do about this? :(

Have you got the tracking # - grab it off him and drop into the correct cache.....

I always write down all the tracking #s of the coins I pick up in a notebook that I take with me. Sometimes a neccessary tool when I can't log the same day as I have cached, as it becomes a memory jogger, writing a note against every cache & trackable.

One more comment - this is a hobby - not worth getting upset when anyone grabs a coin off you if it is no longer physically in your hands....

Hobby = relaxation ****does not = stress.

Happy caching everyone!

Amen and very well said! May I quote you at some point on our Maine forums?? LOL :D

Bob

I see what you are saying...however, this won't screw up the current holders logs at all. They have alreay logged their find, and unless they go edit it, a dropoff never leaves a log on the coin page itself.

You can grab it from the current holder, then dip it in the cache for proper mileage. Then, send a note to the cacher you grabbed it from telling them what you did. They can still note in their log that they dropped it there...it just won't be in their inventory anymore to actually drop it.

Cheers

When Nikos says that the "Cache page is blank", I thought there were no finds logged yet. I would certainly waith until after the finds get logged before making any moves.

Quick answer - log the find. There is no need to wait for that.

Put a "watch" on the coin - and when you get an email stating that the coin is in the cache, log a retrieval then.

If it is not log into the cache within a week to 10 days, then grab it from the current holder. That way you have given time for any cacher who is travelling a chance to log.

Once you have the coin, then remove it from your watchlist.

Congrats on the job.... always a thrill and what better way to celebrate then go out and find a cache.

Oh, Yes...The best part of the story. Congratulations!! I agree with the rest too.

Greetings Gatoulis !!!

The bottom line................

At least the coin is safe and in the hands of someone who admits to having it. Too often lately that is not the case, they just disappear.

If it is activated, grab it, log it, and move it on. That in itself is most important. The previous finder can grab it back, log his find, then either e-mail you to grab it back or place it back in the cache you put it in just by posting a "note" log.

If it is not activated, then it's yours, buddy!

Happy Geocaching!