Mega Event Woes

Although I can't come, I hope the Mega Event is a great success despite all the apparent problems. In particular I've been reading the closed thread UK MEGA EVENT - YOU TUBE MOVIE COMPETITION and I'm somewhat surprised by the negative comments by some. I'm not personally into You Tube but I know it's popular and the idea of a fun competition for those who want to take part seems like a harmless bit of fun.

I'm sorry that some people feel strongly that it's a bad idea but each to their own I suppose. I'm shocked that it would appear that our American masters have again seen fit to slap UK cachers for indulging ourselves in a bit of innocent fun (yes, I've read about the recent problems although I'm only new here). It's a pity we can't be allowed to play things our way but I suppose we have to do as we're told.

I'm sorry that some people feel strongly that it's a bad idea but each to their own I suppose. I'm shocked that it would appear that our American masters have again seen fit to slap UK cachers for indulging ourselves in a bit of innocent fun (yes, I've read about the recent problems although I'm only new here). It's a pity we can't be allowed to play things our way but I suppose we have to do as we're told.

There is another forum where we can do as we like. More people should use it.

Philip

Philip

I wonder if someone might post a reason for the closure of the "UTube" thread there :angry::D

Philip

As Philip noted there is another forum.

As one of the committee for the event I think we can say it was always a light hearted sort of a comp (if any comp at all). Just post stuff up afterwards.. Pictures, video, audio of the day.. comments etc to youtube, forums, event page etc.. Your prize.. well you could host the 2009 event :angry:

Lets just enjoy the days of festivities, and maybe do some caching at the same time.

I have put in an order for 10 days sunshine to cover events..

Steve

Philip

I wonder if someone might post a reason for the closure of the "UTube" thread there :angry::D

what you asked for

Philip

what you asked for

Ouch :D OK I didn't realise the competition was forum based - I thought it was MEGA EVENT based - because that is what it was advertised as, a comp for the MEGA.

Obviously I, and maybe others, were mistaken :D:D .

My apologies to GSP for this stupid mistake :D:P:P:):)

My apologies to GSP for this stupid mistake :D:D:huh::):D

Quite right too, as an ex-forum moderator of some years experience you should have remembered the explicit ban on competitions being mentioned here as laid out in the Forum Guidelines.

If you had but checked (as I just did) and searched the page for the word "competition" you will see the problem.

For instance the aim of the forum is:

It is an open forum sponsored by Groundspeak Inc. for discussing all aspects of geocaching
Well yes, this video was to be about Geocaching, by Geocachers at a Geocaching event so maybe that's where the problem lies.

Please understand that we are not attempting to censor any messages or opinions. We (Groundspeak, Groundspeak’s staff, and the volunteer moderators) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread.
Inappropriate? Hmm!

Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate.
I must have missed that bit too.

Examples of posts that may be edited or deleted include those containing profanity, chain letters and other spam postings, those disclosing the tracking number codes for Groundspeak trackable items or those that reveal private information about another community member.
These don't seem to apply but again, maybe I'm missing something.

So the ban on competitions must be contained in the general headings:

1. Forum courtesy

2. Foul language and obscene images

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted

5. Keep on topic

6. Private discussions....Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community

7. Spam

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda

9. We generally do not allow surveys to be conducted

10. Personal classified advertising is permitted in the ‘GPS Garage Sale’ forum

So there we have it. I too, moderated this forum for around 5 years and even I can't see any documented ban on advertising a fun activity at an "official" Event. I guess, Dave, that you and I were right to be pensioned off if we can't see something that isn't there. :D

So there we have it. I too, moderated this forum for around 5 years and even I can't see any documented ban on advertising a fun activity at an "official" Event. I guess, Dave, that you and I were right to be pensioned off if we can't see something that isn't there. :)

You mean like those other changes that we were supposed to implement without letting cachers know we were implementing them.......I don't know what I am talking about :D:D:huh::D

I think the way TPTB are going they're going to "ban" another "C" which was so important to them in the past: Community.

What they seem to be forgetting, it that without the community, they have no users, no caches, no reviewers, no business.

:D This is getting unbelievable, :D it's not a fun sport anymore, it's just a %^*&^% dictatorship :huh:

This forum WAS run perfectly well up to April, and now you wield the big stick at the slightest little deviation.

I don't know about others, but I am getting sick and tired of it. :)

You never rarley respond to the threads or even the former moderators/reviewers posts, and when you do, it is with a Politicians answer that never addresses the original question/point.

This to me shows a could'nt care less attitude towards the 2nd biggest geocaching community out there,

Groundspeak.....

If you are bothered, which clearly you are not, nor are you listening, and nor do you care by the seems of it, for crying out loud................get a life and cut us some slack!!!! :D

I think the way TPTB are going they're going to "ban" another "C" which was so important to them in the past: Community.

What they seem to be forgetting, it that without the community, they have no users, no caches, no reviewers, no business.

Quite. They seem to be intent on removing all the fun from these forums. It's a real shame.

Philip

Hi Peepses..

The only 3 pennyworth I'm putting in is.. everyone move to the GAGB forum, and pin a topic here saying we have all moved there.. then we can discuss things as we always have in the past. Without too much interference.

Which brings me to the point, which has been mentioned previously in another thread, about a UK listing site.

Do people go into the GAGB forum now?

Whenever I go in nothing has been posted for days and days - admittedly, I've not been in for about 6 weeks....

No where near as many post on here but there are 3 threads active in the last 2 days in the general forum. It has got a lot more busy in there since the reviewer exodus.

Philip

It would seem that I owe TPTB (can I say that?) an apology for my criticism

Why??? :sad:

Both the retired reviewers have posed questions above which remain unanswered as far as I can see, regarding the closed thread and the reason for it's closure.

Here's looking forward to the reply, :sad: MaxKim

I wondered that Mark, I further wonder if the OP was told he owed them an apology. I see nothing to apologise for...

I wouldn't think he was "told" to say sorry - if so he has been one of the very few people in UK to get anything out of GSP at the moment.

I certainly do not feel I have anything to say sorry for - spontaneous rulings from the "Triad" (or wherever) - being one of the things that fuelled my departure :sad::sad:

It's quite simple. I was warned that my language was disrespectful to the owners of the site and that such criticism was inappropriate. I therefore apologised for causing upset.

I'm new here and I didn't realise that it was not the "done thing" to express my opinions in such a forthright manner. I'll say it again - I'm sorry for any upset caused. Maybe it was down to two cultures being separated by a single language (almost!)

It's quite simple. I was warned that my language was disrespectful to the owners of the site and that such criticism was inappropriate. I therefore apologised for causing upset.

Bob..

I am proberbly one of the ones who grates most.. I speak my mind.. and if it upsets folks.. so be it.. You said what you felt.. why appologise for that.. this is a free speaking world.. and as such you shouldn't appologise for speaking your mind..

I don't

Moss T

In the past I am sure such warnings were posted on the forum for all to see and note where the boundaries are.... this does smack of secret policing. :wub::lol:;)

Both the retired reviewers have posed questions above which remain unanswered as far as I can see, regarding the closed thread and the reason for it's closure.

Here's looking forward to the reply, :huh: MaxKim

Still no answer to the two questions though I notice ... :mad::huh:

Big Bob, like Moss Trooper I tend to speak my mind. However as an ex-moderator on this forum I know the guidelines pretty well and always try and abide by them when stating my views.

I have re-read your original posting from my moderator's viewpoint and I have to say that you expressed your surprise and frustration (?) in a perfectly reasonable manner. I cannot see any reason for you getting warned. Maybe things have continued to be even more tightly controlled from afar since Lactodorum resigned.

I'm sorry you have had such an introduction to this forum. I don't know the details of who warned you or how, nor do I expect you to share them with us, but be assured you are amongst friends here.

This post has been vetted for compliance with the current guidelines :lol:

In the past I am sure such warnings were posted on the forum for all to see and note where the boundaries are.... this does smack of secret policing. :huh::lol::huh:

Here's looking forward to the reply, :mad: MaxKim

Still no answer to the two questions though I notice ... ;):wub:

This is the second such warning I've heard about, given by the big-wigs at GSP this week. A well known lady cacher has been warned about the content of her thread, they said they'd keep an eye on it. I would imagine there's those across the pond keeping a keen eye on this section of the forum, just a pity they can't devote some of that time answering a few questions.

It might be the case that GSP has adopted a policy of secretly warning members, so's not to make a bad situation worse.

IMO Bob's remarks are open and honest, and in no way should warrant any type of warning (secret, or otherwise).

Edited by Jacobite

I would imagine there's those across the pond keeping a keen eye on this section of the forum, just a pity they can't devote some of that time answering a few questions.

IMO Bob's remarks are open and honest, and in no way should warrant any type of warning (secret, or otherwise).

I agree with you 100% on those 2 points - come on GSP some answers please :lol::huh::huh:;)

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, watching with interest as it unravelled. It is only now that I have felt compelled to comment. I am basing my comments on the following:

The first post was a reasonable expression of frustration

The frustration was not met with open communication, but alleged back-door politics

The thread has now descended into a melle of rumour and counter rumor where it's difficult to determine the lines of fact.

For my part, I'm amazed that an organisation dependant to a large part on the fostering of a vibrant community would allegedly choose to act in such an autocratic manner. Or, if my interpretation is wrong, to fail to clarify their position in this matter.

I was under the mistaken impression that freedom of expression was sacrasanct. Evidently I was wrong.

I'm new to this lark and new to the forum. This particular thread has not particularly encouraged me to stay.