Nuvi Vs GPSMAP 76CSX

AF Bmet

I started off caching with my Wifes 200W. I finally got my 76csx and thought to myself I know have a real geocachers GPSr. Now the only problem is I can't find a thing with it I have tried setting it to track up, north up. it doesn't matter. I can't seem to get close to the cache and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. on the first cache today I wonder around in circle with the unit set to track up and no matter what way I walk or travelled the cache stay behind me and to the left. I finally pulled out the wifes Nuvi and walked to within 2 feet of the cache while the 76csx was showing that I was still 40ft away. After I got how I figured out how to turn the 76csx's compass off and I am going to try to look for some more caches tomorrow to see if that makes a diffrence. WAAS on or off did not seem to make a big diffence. I don't know if there is something wrong with me or the 76csx.

I started off caching with my Wifes 200W. I finally got my 76csx and thought to myself I know have a real geocachers GPSr. Now the only problem is I can't find a thing with it I have tried setting it to track up, north up. it doesn't matter. I can't seem to get close to the cache and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. on the first cache today I wonder around in circle with the unit set to track up and no matter what way I walk or travelled the cache stay behind me and to the left. I finally pulled out the wifes Nuvi and walked to within 2 feet of the cache while the 76csx was showing that I was still 40ft away. After I got how I figured out how to turn the 76csx's compass off and I am going to try to look for some more caches tomorrow to see if that makes a diffrence. WAAS on or off did not seem to make a big diffence. I don't know if there is something wrong with me or the 76csx.

Is the 76 set for off road? (map setup) If not it will try to bring you to the cache via a road. I find the compass gets me close, if the geosense doesn't kick in, then a little triangulation puts me right on it. Some times you just have to stop and let things settle down.

Jim

Is the 76 set for off road? (map setup) If not it will try to bring you to the cache via a road. I find the compass gets me close, if the geosense doesn't kick in, then a little triangulation puts me right on it. Some times you just have to stop and let things settle down.

Jim

Double checked have it set to off road. I am going to try and take it a little slower and give it a chance to settle down. I have also been given some suggestions on compass settings.

Use the compass screen and make certain the magnetic compass is calibrated or turned off.

Yes, use the compass screen to find the cache, not the map screen. You do not need to have the compass itself turned on. Also, make sure it's not set to use the course pointer.

When you do a "go to" make sure you do that in "off road" too. If you tell it to "follow road", it will still take you to the nearest point on the road (even with the unit not set to road). The only time my 76 would ever point me in the wrong place was if I forgot to reset it to offroad when we got close to the cache.

You are all awesome I had been spinning around in circles and walking in large arcs trying to follow the map. I had to look crazy or drunk to anybody watching me trying to figure out what I was doing. I went to a couple of caches today That I had already found and followed all of your suggestions and I think I am getting the hang of my 76csx.