Blank Emails

Remember that there are now two versions of AVG Free out there....V7 and V8. It may not affect both?

Just for information, I'm still getting my messages as normal since updating my AVG. The version I'm using is

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 8.0.134 / Virus Database: 270.4.5/1533 - Release Date: 03/07/2008 19:19

Thanks Michael, I use the free AVG so will try your suggestion.

Hi, can you let me know how you solved the problem?

Its only GC logs that I don't receive? Emails through GC come through fine.

If the AVG scanner is turned off will emails still be virus safe?

I have updated to the latest version and I use Outlook Express and can't work out how I turn it off?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Edited by perth pathfinders

Worth a read maybe..

Blank Email Messages and AVG

Perth Pathfinders/Skate and Jane....you're leaving yourselves wide open to viruses in incoming emails. If you use the instructions in the link Birdman supplied then you should be able to fix the problem and still stay protected.

Must be about time now for SteamTraen to come along and tell us that we're wasting our time worrying about viruses anyway :angry::D

Thank you for your replies.

Have tried all of the above. (I don't want to disable emails being scanned though, too much junk mail around).

Have re-installed AVG.

Have restarted computer to an earlier date.

Nothing solves it.

Its only GC that is causing the problem.

I shall have to get somebody in to help me now as I seem to exhausted all my slight knowledge of computers.

Its only GC that is causing the problem.

I shall have to get somebody in to help me now as I seem to exhausted all my slight knowledge of computers.

The same thing is happening to us...it's not all emails just the odd one or two ?

I must just correct myself there...when I say it's not all email what I actually meant was that it is only happening with GC emails - but not all of them. I just received 4 emails from GC in my inbox at the very same time - 2 were okay and the other 2 were blank - AVG scanned them all at the same time - so surely this cant be a AVG problem otherwise they would all have come through blank ???????? :D

Edited by The Sandpipers

I'm having exactly same problem. All emails from Geocaching/Grounspeak are blank. I'm AVG8 with automatic updates every day. Syllogiser forwarded me a copy of last Grounspeak weekly notification and that came through perfectly. Last thing one wants to do is turn off scan on emails which surely are one of the major causes of viruses?

Just for your info. The mail domain I run, in the last 28 days:

Legitimate mail: 5748

Spam:30,814

Quarantined due to video file attached or swear words: 14

Virus :0

Haven't had a virus for over a year.

However, a great proportion of spam mail has phishing or trojan element. All these require a human to click on a link.

This is meant to reassure you that living without a mail virus filter for a few days is unlikely to be the end of the world. But DISCLAIMER, don't blame me if the 1 in a million chance happens and you do get hit.

It's happening in Canada too! Receiving headers, but then message area blank. If message did come through, gobbledy gook appeared at the bottom. Tried sending myself "test"...no good. Followed advice and now have unchecked "certify" email. Test message then came through. Never had any problems with anything else, just mail from Geocaching.com and Groundspeak. So, is it AVG or.............what?

And the worst thing is not receiving the LoBot weekly newsletter with the new caches! We've even had, in the same house, same IP, same room, one of us receiving the newsletter and one not.

Curiouser and curiouser!!! Anyways, now it is Friday, and so far I have received a big fat nothing as far as the weekly newsletter! Rats!

It's happening in Canada too! Receiving headers, but then message area blank. If message did come through, gobbledy gook appeared at the bottom. Tried sending myself "test"...no good. Followed advice and now have unchecked "certify" email. Test message then came through. Never had any problems with anything else, just mail from Geocaching.com and Groundspeak. So, is it AVG or.............what?

And the worst thing is not receiving the LoBot weekly newsletter with the new caches! We've even had, in the same house, same IP, same room, one of us receiving the newsletter and one not.

Curiouser and curiouser!!! Anyways, now it is Friday, and so far I have received a big fat nothing as far as the weekly newsletter! Rats!

Way I solved it..........(and don't laugh at me if it is a stoopid way).

Before you open your Outlook email, read your GC emails first through a different source, e.g. www.Mail2web.com, (that worked for me anyway). Then open Outlook and they should come through as you have already opened them (provided you didn't delete them on mail2web first).

Then I thought 'blow that for a lark' not doing that everytime, like my email beeping at me when a new one comes through so I uninstalled AVG and installed free download AVAST - also has daily updates. SORTED!!

Now I have no idea if this will work for everyone, or why, or if it is the correct way of doing things, or if it is a good anti-virus, but it worked for me!!

And saved me getting a 'geek' in to help me out as I know nothing about computers!

How many of you that are getting blank emails are using the Free AVG to check your emails for viruses? Try turning it off. There was an update in the last few days that seems to be causing this.

Thanks Michael - Just found this forum and have been having the same problem as others - Now fixed.

Note that the fix just deletes the AVG message at the end of your email - it still scans your email for viruses (as explained in the link).

Another problem solved. :laughing:

Sorry thought the easy solution was posted here.

In OE go to View - Encoding - and then move it into Western European (windows) from whatever its in and you're o/k.

In North America it could be different - suggest you try other codes until you find the right one. Obviously I can't see what appears on your screens.

Only solves the problem for that particular email but its better than the other solutions given.